Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

Do a pork butt you'll learn a lot and it's difficult to gently caress it up and everyone is impressed by pulled pork

Got a 9lb bone in butt sitting in the fridge right now. You have a rub you like?

Edit: also, do you use any injections? I've never tried it, but I've seen a lot of recipes use apple juice

Think Less has issued a correction as of 03:25 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Think Less posted:

Got a 9lb bone in butt sitting in the fridge right now. You have a rub you like?

Edit: also, do you use any injections? I've never tried it, but I've seen a lot of recipes use apple juice

I like meathead's memphis rub

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe/

I don't do an injection because if you don't do a texas crutch, then you have a stall and you cook out most of the water, so adding water I assume would make the stall longer, but I haven't tried it so IDK for sure

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

I like meathead's memphis rub

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe/

I don't do an injection because if you don't do a texas crutch, then you have a stall and you cook out most of the water, so adding water I assume would make the stall longer, but I haven't tried it so IDK for sure

That makes sense about the stall. This smoker is supposed to run for 6 hours on one charcoal basket, so I'll be using the crutch. Meathead's rub is what I used for the ribs. It's fantastic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
[Cooking] do you have any favorite butt rubs?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DoubleDonut posted:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DoubleDonut posted:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

We're nuts about rubbing butts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thinkin' 'bout jerking my loin

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

time for a big loving mapo lunch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hey shoog, y'all gon' be needin' anything else?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BraveUlysses posted:

time for a big loving mapo lunch

I love mapo tofu

one of my favorites

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
update on the tea eggs

(here's the recipe I used btw)

https://omnivorescookbook.com/chinese-tea-eggs/

they're very good after a week but the sodium starts to penetrate the yolks are turn them green. I think this is releasing sulfur because I have been having hte most horrendous farts. like usually eggs make them potent but these are like approaching chemical warfare levels.

they are really good though you should make them and punish the people around you

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mapo tofu is completely piss easy to make. love that stuff.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

underwear with a c02 sensor bluetoothed to your phone to play the dead kennedys chemical warfare with every toot

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Think Less posted:

Got a 9lb bone in butt
:eyepop:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

how would y'all use a bottle of cayenne infused olive oil?

it smells like pretty decent stuff as far as the oil itself goes. i was thinking of maybe making some kind of tex-mex caprese salad

My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?
re: biscuit chat

if you have a decent food processor you can cube your butter then freeze it and blitz it into the sifted dry ingredients until it resembles fine sand, pop the mix back in the freezer for 20-30 to prevent the butter smearing while you mix in your liquid(buttermilk)

all you have to do is add your buttermilk/liquid and ya got great biscuit dough

i used to keep a batch of the butter/dry mixture in the freezer for rapid deployment

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

homemade ricotta cheese on fresh baked baguette

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lib and let die posted:

how would y'all use a bottle of cayenne infused olive oil?

it smells like pretty decent stuff as far as the oil itself goes. i was thinking of maybe making some kind of tex-mex caprese salad

add some cilantro or swap out the basil for it and go with a Mexican soft cheese instead of mozz. i bet that would be a kick-rear end salad. good idea and now i want to try it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

add some cilantro or swap out the basil for it and go with a Mexican soft cheese instead of mozz. i bet that would be a kick-rear end salad. good idea and now i want to try it

yeah, and i'm thinking the tomato can stay the same, and to keep the acidic profile the balsamic would give it, squeeze some fresh lime over it instead

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Made this recipe, fettuccine (instead of spaghetti) con la colatura di alici
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/04/spaghetti-con-la-colatura-di-alici-pasta-with-colatura.html

So loving tasty. Only thing I changed was that I added a few bay scallops.
Highly recommend for a lazy pasta dish. Hardest thing was getting the anchovy sauce

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
drat now I need a new fish sauce in my pantry? OK FINE ILL DO IT

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ancient rome used the hell out of garum. fish sauce and italian food goes together like fish sauce and most savory food - fuckin' delicious

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

ancient rome used the hell out of garum. fish sauce and italian food goes together like fish sauce and most savory food - fuckin' delicious

I feel like we are at the crest of a fish sauce renaissance.
Maybe I am just being optimistic but it sure seems like people are actively seeking umami foods and Asian fusion influences lately so I hope it's the case. If not for the fact that it stinks and is called fish sauce it could be the next old big thing

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yeah i love fish sauce but it is gonna take a while to get a lot of the western world to get down with funky fish stuff, unfortunately :( . i hope it takes off and gets super popular. more little fish need to be used and the rest of the ocean needs to be left alone for a while imo

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/dining/a35587390/history-of-anchovies/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a thing of anchovy paste I bought for a recipe that I can no longer find.

what's a good use for it?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

puttanesca sauce and caesar dressing are great, but take a run at a french tapanade. olives + anchovies + oil are amazing. a little goes a long way as a condiment for some crusty bread

e: salty as hell (id skip the capers) but this looks decent https://www.culinaryhill.com/olive-tapenade/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

caesar salad dressing

puttanesca

homemade worcestershire sauce

terrifying girlfriends wives and children

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

caesar salad dressing

puttanesca

put a nipple on a bottle of 3 crabs fish sauce and send kids to school with it imo

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

The Voice of Labor posted:

caesar salad dressing

puttanesca

All of these. When I make Caesar dressing, I wind up dicing a couple filets and destroying some organ or another by eating the rest on fancy “for company” crackers. I never use the paste, maybe try a tiny bit on a triscuit? Dip your pizza crust in it?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

frying up some anchovies into a paste before adding the rest of the sauce ingredients is a pretty solid thing to do

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah i love fish sauce but it is gonna take a while to get a lot of the western world to get down with funky fish stuff, unfortunately :( . i hope it takes off and gets super popular. more little fish need to be used and the rest of the ocean needs to be left alone for a while imo

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/dining/a35587390/history-of-anchovies/

I sneak fish sauce and anchovies into various foods I cook for my midwestern family at our yearly get-togethers and they love it and can’t figure out what the secret is. I will never tell them either, because if I did they would all of a sudden find it “fishy” and not like it anymore. Food psychology is weird.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah my wife makes a face if she sees me using fish sauce but if I don't tell her it's in there she doesn't mention it.

I don't get it. stuff tastes good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah as long as one doesn’t go over board add it to everything. just below anything tasting “fishy” will even make the most boring Midwestern Norwegian palete pleased. Chile, stew, just about any sauce, most soups, it’s hard go wrong with a tps or tbs.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
You can add an anchovy to pasta sauce or many other things, and it will add umami and not be fishy. It’s nice, and similar to fish sauce but slightly different.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the only place i can stomach anchovies is in my aglio, because i use enough garlic to overwhelm basically every other flavor.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I made a lasagna puttanesca :agesilaus:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Any time I think about eating fish I get flashbacks to delis and grocery stores where they just have their fishes stacked up staring at me with their dead fish eyes and i can't do it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I made a stir fry tonight with bok choy, carrots, scallions, mushrooms, and pork loin "boneless ribs"
I used the red boat fish sauce pretty liberally along with aromatics, and brown sugar/honey and pearl river dark soy sauce for the pork

the dark soy sauce/pork combo has yet to disappoint me.

I can't believe how many years I wasted trying to reproduce the delicious pantheon of Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese flavors with a just bottle of kikkoman and wondering why the restaurant food always tasted so much better

I can't wait to see what the next obvious in hindsight revelation is going to be for my cooking journey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Any time I think about eating fish I get flashbacks to delis and grocery stores where they just have their fishes stacked up staring at me with their dead fish eyes and i can't do it.

whole fish rule. there's a jamaican place next to me that does a whole red snapper and it's so good