Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the fact that it's interrupting his gun homicide entertainment makes it really hard to believe it's from a real patent filing and not just some hamhanded grand theft auto-level satire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My watch won’t update. Just stays stuck on the checking for updates screen.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

My watch won’t update. Just stays stuck on the checking for updates screen.

I had to unpair and go through the setup again for my watch to update; apparently it's the accepted way to update watches earlier than series 4.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211283#unpair

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I love this image so much. Why did he stand up? Why did he raise his arms? Why is the advertisement just a burger with absolutely nothing else on the screen?

What the gently caress lol

You may know this, but to nerd out.

I’m pretty sure this image was created in response to the original Xbox Kinect. To be honest, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I am pretty sure the idea of an always on camera in the living room was super controversial at the time.

And yeah, lot has ummmm, changed since then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Weedle posted:

the fact that it's interrupting his gun homicide entertainment makes it really hard to believe it's from a real patent filing and not just some hamhanded grand theft auto-level satire

Duckman2008 posted:

You may know this, but to nerd out.

I’m pretty sure this image was created in response to the original Xbox Kinect. To be honest, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I am pretty sure the idea of an always on camera in the living room was super controversial at the time.

And yeah, lot has ummmm, changed since then.
It was from a Sony patent, "System for converting television commercials into interactive networked video games":

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8246454B2/en

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 30, 2021

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

kimcicle posted:

I had to unpair and go through the setup again for my watch to update; apparently it's the accepted way to update watches earlier than series 4.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211283#unpair

Hey that did it! Thanks.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
so I accidentally scanned a malicious QR code that attacked my bank account. I've frozen my credit and changed passwords etc, but is there a way that a malicious code scan could install something on my phone? Anything else I should do?

I feel dumb but dont want this to happen again .

bows1 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 30, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bows1 posted:

so I accidentally scanned a malicious QR code that attacked my bank account. I've frozen my credit and changed passwords etc, but is there a way that a malicious code scan could install something on my phone? Anything else I should do?

I feel dumb but dont want this to happen again .

I don't think it could have installed an app since those have to go through the App Store but it could have installed a configuration profile. Go to Settings-->General and look for a heading for Profiles. If you don't see it, that means there's no profiles installed. If you do see it, tap on it and you can see what's installed. Still, it wouldn't hurt to wipe your phone.

That said, how could a QR code attack your bank account?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Only way I can see is that if you thought the QR code was for something bank related, like payment or at an ATM.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I’m very interested in what happened with the QR code

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Javascript can be stashed into the url in the QR code, enabling a few ways to attack.

It's simpler that it led them to a fake web page and they entered their login but it's not the only way to do it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

smackfu posted:

Only way I can see is that if you thought the QR code was for something bank related, like payment or at an ATM.

Correct it was a street vendor for a payment and immediately my bank account had sign in attempts etc. I guess it was made to look like a venmo but was stealing the info as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bows1 posted:

Correct it was a street vendor for a payment and immediately my bank account had sign in attempts etc. I guess it was made to look like a venmo but was stealing the info as well.

Do you not use a password manager? That would have prevented that from happening because it’ll be able to tell the login page is not legit.

Not blaming you for falling victim to a scam or anything, but for future reference.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you not use a password manager? That would have prevented that from happening because it’ll be able to tell the login page is not legit.

Not blaming you for falling victim to a scam or anything, but for future reference.

I do not and Im going to start. I know I fell for a scam and Im just trying to future proof and make sure it doesn't happen again. Whats a good rec?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bows1 posted:

I do not and Im going to start. I know I fell for a scam and Im just trying to future proof and make sure it doesn't happen again. Whats a good rec?

The built in one is basic and works perfectly fine for most people. It syncs across iOS and macOS devices. If you use Windows or not-Safari then it’ll be annoying. 1Password is a good and safe one that works on everything but it’s a subscription (but imo worth it). There’s one that you should stay far away from cause of poor developer/security practices but I don’t remember what it’s called (either lastpass or keypass). Firefox and Microsoft also have password manager apps for free I think, if you wanna go with a brand that you’ve heard of and should be safe and secure. They should all work fine and integrate with iOS.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The built in one is basic and works perfectly fine for most people. It syncs across iOS and macOS devices. If you use Windows or not-Safari then it’ll be annoying. 1Password is a good and safe one that works on everything but it’s a subscription (but imo worth it). There’s one that you should stay far away from cause of poor developer/security practices but I don’t remember what it’s called (either lastpass or keypass). Firefox and Microsoft also have password manager apps for free I think, if you wanna go with a brand that you’ve heard of and should be safe and secure. They should all work fine and integrate with iOS.

There's a keychain manager plugin for Chrome on Windows machines as well now too.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-icloud-passwords-on-your-windows-computer-mmfeee20145e/icloud

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

LastPass is the bad pass, don’t use it.

Most others are good in their respective ways. I use 1Password, I don’t mind the subscription as it’s pretty loving great.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

KeepAss is a technically very competent password manager, but has no sync functionality built in because it's such an old password manager, so use 1Password or Bitwarden.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegastar posted:

There's a keychain manager plugin for Chrome on Windows machines as well now too.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-icloud-passwords-on-your-windows-computer-mmfeee20145e/icloud

This and I’d honestly recommend people start with keychain and if you eventually find it’s not doing something you need then switching.

Keychain has come along way.

For the vast majority of people keychain is all you really need.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I switched from Lastpass to Bitwarden recently on some thread's recommendation, and it's been good on both iOS and PC, and free.

edit: bit*warden*, not defender.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The amount of packaging involved with one AirTag and one holder makes all of Apple’s eco talk seem a bit silly.

Also the white Belkin keychain thing was a poor choice, didn’t really think about how half the AirTag is already white.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vegastar posted:

Thank you!! I'm currently in the process of going back to Windows as my everyday desktop OS, but not leaving the Apple/iCloud ecosystem, so this is way better than Settings -> Search -> "Passw" -> Passwords -> Face ID -> Search -> (URL) -> Show password -> hunt and peck like grandma every single time I want to put my password into a new website.

For a while, I used Enpass, which to me seemed like a blatant 1Password ripoff. I never had any issues with it, but eventually paranoia got the better of me (it's closed source) and I just changed all of my passwords and switched to iCloud Keychain. I can't imagine trusting any password manager more than Apple's, knock on wood.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

enojy posted:

Thank you!! I'm currently in the process of going back to Windows as my everyday desktop OS, but not leaving the Apple/iCloud ecosystem, so this is way better than Settings -> Search -> "Passw" -> Passwords -> Face ID -> Search -> (URL) -> Show password -> hunt and peck like grandma every single time I want to put my password into a new website.

For a while, I used Enpass, which to me seemed like a blatant 1Password ripoff. I never had any issues with it, but eventually paranoia got the better of me (it's closed source) and I just changed all of my passwords and switched to iCloud Keychain. I can't imagine trusting any password manager more than Apple's, knock on wood.

FWIW: at least a few years ago, Apple trusted 1Password more than Keychain as 1Password appears to have been what was used internally.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

FWIW: at least a few years ago, Apple trusted 1Password more than Keychain as 1Password appears to have been what was used internally.

I highly doubt that is the case now though.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

I highly doubt that is the case now though.

From a corp perspective, it definitely makes sense, as I doubt there's setup for easily sharing login items in Keychain.

on AirTags: drat the leather loops/keychains look awful, like the worst leather I've seen. I was interested in the saddle brown keychain to go with my case/watch strap, but at this point, I'd probably just get the Belkin holder.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m not sure that I’m posting in the right thread, but here goes:

So I’ve got ~5,000 photos on iMessage that I’d like to export to my computer. Cool, no problem, right? Just right click, save all, export, boom.

Nope. For some god awful reason (getting you to subscribe to icloud I assume) they left out the “select all” button when looking at photos in an iMessage thread. Meaning I have to manually press 5,000 photos and hope that I don’t mis-press thereby de-selecting the photos that I wanted to save.

Are there any legitimate third party programs that will allow me to bulk export to either my home PC or to OneDrive reliably?

I’m irrationally angered at this lack of super basic functionality and genuinely appreciate any help y’all can provide.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Bitwarden is hot as hell and everyone should use it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

smackfu posted:

The amount of packaging involved with one AirTag and one holder makes all of Apple’s eco talk seem a bit silly.

Also the white Belkin keychain thing was a poor choice, didn’t really think about how half the AirTag is already white.

Plus not having a hole in the AirTag is evil.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tuyop posted:

Bitwarden is hot as hell and everyone should use it.

I wanna and I know the benefits but unless I can make it pull all my stored pws from chrome on windows and my iPhone and I don't have to do anything else, I will never set it up.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Laserface posted:

I wanna and I know the benefits but unless I can make it pull all my stored pws from chrome on windows and my iPhone and I don't have to do anything else, I will never set it up.

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/import-from-chrome/

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone using Bitwarden Enterprise and have any comments on it?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nitr0 posted:

Anyone using Bitwarden Enterprise and have any comments on it?

You could roll a bitwarden_rs install and freely test the enterprise features for yourself! The ability to segment logins via different organizations is really nice. I’m not too impressed by how the clients interact with the org data, though. For example, if I share a login to an org, I cannot unshare it without going through and manually deleting it and recreating it in my personal vault.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is there a way of making an iPhone or other nfc equipped device alert you to the presence of an airtag? I guess using them for stalking has been discussed and Apple has taken (some) measures to protect people in that usage case, but it seems like the flip side of being able to find an airtag would make it easy for thiefs to troll parking lots for airtags that are presumably attached to something valuable.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bobfather posted:

You could roll a bitwarden_rs install and freely test the enterprise features for yourself! The ability to segment logins via different organizations is really nice. I’m not too impressed by how the clients interact with the org data, though. For example, if I share a login to an org, I cannot unshare it without going through and manually deleting it and recreating it in my personal vault.

Bitwarden_rs is called Vaultwarden as of a couple of days ago due to trademark issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have gone for passwarden for the multi-tier jokes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ojjeorago posted:

Bitwarden_rs is called Vaultwarden as of a couple of days ago due to trademark issues.

Hey, thanks! Just changed the image name in my docker-compose to vaultwarden/server and it fired right up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’ve been using Bitwarden for years and years and have loved it from day one with zero complaints. On iOS I wish you could enter a password and it offer to save it though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've used a lot of beats headphones and I gotta say fellas, don't sleep on the beats flex. You can get them for $40, used to be just about triple that for the beats x

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've used a lot of beats headphones and I gotta say fellas, don't sleep on the beats flex. You can get them for $40, used to be just about triple that for the beats x

Yeah they're a good deal for a pair of headphones with the W1 chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Update: Mask unlock also works if you’re drinking a can of soda