Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean her understanding of comedy based on that clip alone seems to amount to "say anything and then pause so the audience can laugh."

Nigel Hawthorne is dying inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
A few days old now but saw a tweet from Lawrence Fox high-fiving people in the anti-vaxxer anti any corona measures rally in London. It's amazing how quickly people go down the rabbit hole.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

not a bot posted:

It's amazing how quickly people go down the rabbit hole.

Is that why he looks like this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Unkempt posted:

Is that why he looks like this

Jesus, that’s got to be drugs, right?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Lawrence Fox is the living embodiment of the "she's turned the weans against us" sketch

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dell_Zincht posted:

5. Definitely series 5. Bob Mortimer just being an utter legend and Sally Phillips being totally horny (and mental.)

Series 4 with Mel Giedroyc, Hugh Dennis and Noel Fielding is excellent as well.

Honestly though, there's not a single *bad* season, 10 has probably been the worst so far but even then it had its moments.

I think the one with Dave Gorman was the worst
The cast is too similar, it's not BAD exactly - it's just not as funny.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Taear posted:

I think the one with Dave Gorman was the worst
The cast is too similar, it's not BAD exactly - it's just not as funny.

Agreed. I think I posted on my last re-watch that Gorman and Murray mostly sap the fun out of it. On the podcast its been hinted at that a number of contestants took the idea of winning very seriously but not in the spirit of the game. I assumed it was in part referring to those two, certainly Murray.

Has to be a little strange being Lawrence Fox. You're the superstar of ITV4, then you find you can be much more popular by wading into poo poo you know nothing about and stirring things up before getting high on your own fumes and thinking it can be parlayed into a political career with the right money behind you, only to find no one outside of your Twitter likes and your friends on Talk Radio could possibly give a poo poo about your views. You already weren't getting acting gigs, but now you're one of those names that everyone is going to look at twice before casting you in anything and now Twitter popularity is your ceiling and that's going to fade when the usual crowd find someone else to rally around.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not surprising that Dave Gorman would be quite competitive, since he's written books about trying different games and competitions. I'm sure Al Murray's propensity to use money to solve a problem was irritating for the other contestants, and I definitely wouldn't want it to be the standard solution for multiple contestants or anything but at the same time I loved him just ringing a cab and paying to go places when the challenge was to get your clothes as spread out as possible and poo poo like that. When it's just one person it becomes their gimmick, rather than the normal.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Al Murray spent £380 quid according to Horne.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Less than Mark Watson spent on a single hat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

My Lovely Horse posted:

Less than Mark Watson spent on a single hat.

On the other hand, Alex got his back on Mark by ruining months of his life along with Gregs to boot.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Looks like season 12 of TM is not going to be filmed in from of an audience. Audience tickets are once again for an in cinema audio recording

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Popbitch covered Fox this week:

quote:

We have to hand it to Laurence Fox. Where other rabble-rousing blowhards threaten to sue people with no intention of ever actually putting their hands in their pocket, Lozza is genuinely now setting his lawyers on Twitter users who call him racist.

To satisfy the standards of libel, Laurence would need to prove these tweets have caused him "serious harm" - which, if they were broadcast to a big enough audience, could well be the case. So what sort of numbers are we talking here?

One tweeter that Laurence sicced his lawyers on has fewer than 1,000 followers. Their tweet would barely have had any widespread engagement had it not been for one massive verified account that chose to actively retweet the hurtful suggestion that Laurence Fox is racist to its 280,000+ followers.

So which meddling blue-tick was responsible for it reaching such a damagingly broad audience?

It's... Laurence Fox's account!

anon writes: "I went to school with Laurence Fox's sister, Lydia. I was lucky enough to be invited to her 10th birthday party. I was bullied horribly by Lozza for wearing a Bros T-shirt. I cried my eyes out and told his mother – who duly reprimanded me for wearing said Bros t-shirt and therefore provoking dear little Lozza."

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/29/actor-noel-clarke-accused-of-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women

He always seemed a bit of a knob.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like the memory task would've been a lot better if they'd been given enough time to actually read it in the first place.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

stev posted:

I feel like the memory task would've been a lot better if they'd been given enough time to actually read it in the first place.
I assumed there'd be some gotcha, where another copy of the task list is hidden somewhere around the area if they look for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

stev posted:

I think the entire point of the task was less "memorize and then repeat all these tasks as best you can" and more "how do you deal with being given a big list you clearly won't have time to memorize and just have to muddle through regardless?". The task did have some rhyme to it's elements, since the action always started with the previous alphabetic letter than the object, but only one contestant worked that out. That said, because they burned the paper, every page disappeared at a different rate so some people organically got a bit more time than others. Still, the point was more to see the contestants panic and fumble to a conclusion than to have a straight memory game like memorizing the order of the deck back in season 8 or anything.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Easy to be wise after the fact, but none of the contestants tried to do anything about it, like put out the fire or take a photo of the list. Maybe because the instructions-reading portion is usually sacrosanct (except rare things like "Alex has already started counting" in the hide-and-seek task), it's sort of a performance for the audience.

GazChap posted:

I assumed there'd be some gotcha, where another copy of the task list is hidden somewhere around the area if they look for it.

Maybe if anyone had carried out Inspect the Jacket they would have found it there.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
They've had tasks where everyone missed the Obvious Clue before and when that's happened they shoot a little insert to play back after everyone's made a fool of themselves.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Heavy_D posted:

Easy to be wise after the fact, but none of the contestants tried to do anything about it, like put out the fire or take a photo of the list.

Almost every contestant on the podcast, and multiple people on the show itself have talked about how in the moment you're just seized by panic and want to do the first thing that comes to mind, even if that thing doesn't make any sense. I can believe none of the contestants thought to try putting out the flame especially, since one of the instructions was not to step beyond the rope and it'd be hard to put out such a small flame without being close to it. You'd need a consistent water supply you could lead to it, such as a hose. Which obviously wasn't around. The best they could do is throw a glass of water from the bath, and that's probably not going to do it in the 30 seconds or so before the task evaporates.

I can believe no-one thought to take a photo via a phone as well, because people in a panic don't tend to think clearly without extensive training to handle pressure; even then, training tends to only prepare you for fairly specific situations because muscle memory kicks in and overtakes your mind for a few seconds before you calm down because you're doing something you're essentially used to via training. I remember reading a few years ago that the US military tried a training exercise to check how soldiers react under pressure by loading a load of soldiers into a plane that they then instructed the pilot to put into a free fall and tell everyone they were out of control and going to crash, before someone in the back who knew what was happening gave all the soldiers last will forms and asked them to fill them out. Not one soldier gave a legible response apparently. And they're supposed to be trained for general pressure.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

US military training team were down the pub early after thinking up that one

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

Agreed. I think I posted on my last re-watch that Gorman and Murray mostly sap the fun out of it. On the podcast its been hinted at that a number of contestants took the idea of winning very seriously but not in the spirit of the game. I assumed it was in part referring to those two, certainly Murray.

Surely that's Richard Herring?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Taear posted:

Surely that's Richard Herring?

He has said it himself that he didn't want to go 'full Herring' so held back on any comedy banter that may have overshone the rest.
So his restraint does make him look like he was in it to win it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Herring has said that since he's won now he's going to really let go for champion of champions. I hope so because I think he's great usually but did seem a little reserved in TM.

Current series talk - I kind of feel bad for Charlotte Ritchie, she's such a funny contestant but she scores so low! Mike Wozniak I think is my perfect contestant, he's obviously not bothered about the score that much, he's having a wonderful time and he's just the right amount of weird to really make it click.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

Current series talk - I kind of feel bad for Charlotte Ritchie, she's such a funny contestant but she scores so low! Mike Wozniak I think is my perfect contestant, he's obviously not bothered about the score that much, he's having a wonderful time and he's just the right amount of weird to really make it click.

She was on the podcast this week and said she realised way too late that she was being passive in the studio and never attempted to fight her corner. Whenever Greg says she's done badly she just replies with ":smith: Yep".

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

stev posted:

She was on the podcast this week and said she realised way too late that she was being passive in the studio and never attempted to fight her corner. Whenever Greg says she's done badly she just replies with ":smith: Yep".

That just makes it funnier to be fair. The contrast between her trying to do the task and accepting a bad score and then Jamali half-assing the task and confronting Greg about it is amazing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

First episode of the new series of This Time With Alan Partridge is as good as hoped. The last segment in particular absolutely killed me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Looks like Cheeky Monkey from way back in KMKYWAP is coming back next week :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Smell the flowers." "MMM-NICE."

His knees cracking again got me too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Right, burger king

IT'S. MY. LIFE. :slick:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Aphex- posted:

Herring has said that since he's won now he's going to really let go for champion of champions. I hope so because I think he's great usually but did seem a little reserved in TM.

Wozniak said on the podcast that he was a participant in the Taskmaster prototype back when it was on Edinburgh Fringe. He knows the competition really well, that's why he's so laidback.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/9511/taskmaster-edinburgh-years

Some good early pics there

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Henning Wehn and Josie Long would be good for a proper series

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

happyhippy posted:

Henning Wehn and Josie Long would be good for a proper series

Seconding this strongly, if they're bringing back former champions of the stage show Josie has to be receiving the call soon. And it would be so fun to see Henning arguing his corner against Greg. It is kind of remarkable that the show's already been through 60 contestants, and yet there are still so many people it would be great to see on it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Who's ready for BBC1 at 9pm tonight?!

I am so excited!!

That's it, go back to Taskmaster posting.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Pablo Bluth posted:

One of the things I liked so much about TMNZ was it felt like the contestants took their 'homework' much more seriously. So the prize tasks felt like the early UK years, not the laziness that now plagues the series. Plus the costume task ended up with them putting real effort in to some amazing costumes. I have little faith if that was done at the moment in the UK series that the efforts would be so uniformly so well done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dead Goon posted:

Who's ready for BBC1 at 9pm tonight?!

I am so excited!!

That's it, go back to Taskmaster posting.

Oh, is Antiques Roadshow on?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Should I be watching this "Line of Duty" then?
I generally can't stand watching British drama shows, I feel really embarrassed about being British watching them. Especially when they do that thing where they just skip the first word of every sentence of dialog because it's more gritty and realistic that way.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DaWolfey posted:

Should I be watching this "Line of Duty" then?
I generally can't stand watching British drama shows, I feel really embarrassed about being British watching them. Especially when they do that thing where they just skip the first word of every sentence of dialog because it's more gritty and realistic that way.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Maybe it got better, but I thought the first two series were, although watchable, ultimately a bit rubbish in that way that BBC dramas sort of are. It's really hard to put my finger on, as the plot and acting are just generally OK. I think the only one I actually enjoyed was Luther and that was daft as gently caress anyway.