Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
OK second floor then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's a tall building.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Gods_Butthole posted:

Developing techniques to break downard, paralyzing mental spirals are good.

I think a big problem is a lot of the approaches to dealing with anxiety rest on the assumption that the anxiety is "irrational", that it's a result of oversensitivities to perceived future danger and relief is partially found in realizing that you were making mountains out of mole hills. Unfortunately this governing assumption doesn't apply to climate doomerism lol

It is also about acceptance which is very on brand for this thread. We know the doom is coming. That's just reality. We do get to choose how we engage with it though, and I find a certain amount of peace in acceptance.

Granted I'm enormously privileged which might make it a bit easier but I think this approach is supposed to help regardless.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

err posted:

I never heard about the clathrate gun, is it a real thing?

*points clathrate gun at the california coastline*

Methanized.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

err posted:

I never heard about the clathrate gun, is it a real thing?

It turns out the real global warming was the methane we made along the way :unsmigghh:

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TehSaurus posted:

It is also about acceptance which is very on brand for this thread. We know the doom is coming. That's just reality. We do get to choose how we engage with it though, and I find a certain amount of peace in acceptance.

Granted I'm enormously privileged which might make it a bit easier but I think this approach is supposed to help regardless.

Yeah, my position in the labor aristocracy can easily let me ride things out for some time without major impact. Part of my difficulty in letting go is that I'm worried if I don't constantly remind myself of the ongoing horrors that my material conditions will take over and I'll lose touch with my working class solidarity.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gods_Butthole posted:

Please no, I love my little wriggly friends :ohdear:

They'll make it a long time though

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Over the last 50 years we've seen ~80% losses of birds, fish, insects and small mammals. 'Most of the natural world is still alive' really isn't true.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

taqueso posted:

They'll make it a long time though

:unsmith:

I'm thinking of building a worm farm in my backyard. Worms are really neat.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gods_Butthole posted:

Yeah, my position in the labor aristocracy can easily let me ride things out for some time without major impact. Part of my difficulty in letting go is that I'm worried if I don't constantly remind myself of the ongoing horrors that my material conditions will take over and I'll lose touch with my working class solidarity.

not if the temp shits out an extra 2c in a year

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

ubachung posted:

Over the last 50 years we've seen ~80% losses of birds, fish, insects and small mammals. 'Most of the natural world is still alive' really isn't true.

Um, we really didn't "lose" those animals, we replaced them with chicken and cattle who lead miserable short lives

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ubachung posted:

while it is bad, that statistics is inaccurate, we've seen losses that high in specific areas but not overall. for example we've "only" seen loss of 29% of the birds in North America https://science.sciencemag.org/content/366/6461/120

your overall point is correct, nothing is "natural" anymore, everything is human disturbed

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Live a little, guys! There are still representative samples of most biomes and species! We still have a toehold in the 'before' times!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ubachung posted:

In biomass you may well be right. I'd say most of the wonder of the natural world, expressed in biodiversity if not numbers, is still around to be enjoyed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
personally i cope by making memes on r/collapse lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
thank god all that biodiversity is concentrated in urban areas where we can enjoy it without hastening its demise

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Koirhor posted:

not if the temp shits out an extra 2c in a year

Really the climate going tits up as fast as possible will just aid my ideological purity. Thanks clathrate gun!

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Mameluke posted:

yes they "exist" but not even our parents were alive to see what nature used to be, the era of a school of salmon so thick they make the river look walkable is practically primordial to our reckoning

i would trade the rest of my life for a year in that world

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I'm going to book a private jet to fly out and enjoy myself some of this natural wonder you all keep talking about. Are there any cool trees anywhere that are almost extinct?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

I'm going to book a private jet to fly out and enjoy myself some of this natural wonder you all keep talking about. Are there any cool trees anywhere that are almost extinct?

personally i would like to see a dragon blood tree but i'm not rich enough to rent a private jet. think you could be a real buddy and have an international airport built on socotra? would be a greener option than scads and scads of private jets surely :)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

nah, he's gonna need to cut the tree down and turn it into a coffee table so he can bring it home and enjoy it for the rest of his life

sorry about your poverty

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

T-Paine posted:

The California Redwood and Sequoia forests are pretty cool. I don't think they've been impacted too badly yet.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mameluke posted:

yes they "exist" but not even our parents were alive to see what nature used to be, the era of a school of salmon so thick they make the river look walkable is practically primordial to our reckoning

That world's been gone for hundreds of years. Obviously we live in a greatly diminished natural world but the remnants still exist! But they will no longer exist within our lifetimes

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gods_Butthole posted:

:unsmith:

I'm thinking of building a worm farm in my backyard. Worms are really neat.

Vermicomposting is rad

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Climate crisis: our children face wars over food and water, EU deputy warns posted:

Dry earth caused by extreme drought at a reservoir in Spain. Photograph: agefotostock/Alamy

Older people will have to make sacrifices in the fight against climate change or today’s children will face a future of fighting wars for water and food, the EU’s deputy chief has warned.

Frans Timmermans, vice-president of the EU commission, said that if social policy and climate policy are not combined, to share fairly the costs and benefits of creating a low-carbon economy, the world will face a backlash from people who fear losing jobs or income, stoked by populist politicians and fossil fuel interests.

He said: “It’s not just an urgent matter – it’s a difficult matter. We have to transform our economy. There are huge benefits, but it’s a huge challenge. The biggest threat is the social one. If we don’t fix this, our children will be waging wars over water and food. There is no doubt in my mind.”

Frans Timmermans: ‘Those of us who understand we need to move fast should make the social issue the pivotal issue in all of this’ Photograph: Reuters

Tackling climate change will be many times cheaper than the disruption that global heating will cause, as well as bringing benefits to health, and the costs have fallen dramatically in recent years. However, the shift away from fossil fuels will mean the end of some traditional jobs such as coalmining, and the costs of change will fall unequally on different sectors of society unless politicians step in.

“Where I see a huge risk is that you get an alliance between those who don’t want change because they see their interest affected, whether it’s in fossil fuels or in traditional economic circles,” Timmermans told the Guardian in an interview. “Those interests combine with the fear of negative social consequences. Then you could get a counter-momentum where people say, ‘Hang on, not too fast, people cannot stomach this.’”

He added: “Those of us who understand we need to move fast should make the social issue the pivotal issue in all of this. I really call upon all of those in the climate movement to join me in focusing on the social issue more than they’ve done in the past. Because this could become the biggest stumbling block.”

He warned that sacrifices would be needed from the older generation to ensure that young people can live in a safe climate. Today’s older people were the beneficiaries of a previous generation’s sacrifice, and were now being called on to make changes themselves, he said.

“Sometimes I wonder whether we are aware of the transformation we’re heading to, and how profound it is. It’s an effort comparable to restructuring after a violent conflict. I used to talk to my grandparents and my parents about how they saw this, after the war. They said, ‘Well, we sacrificed a lot because we knew our children would be better off.’ And this feeling is not there yet in our society.”

Changing people’s lives today would be difficult, but the benefits would be felt by today’s children, he added. “This for politics is a huge, huge challenge. We need to recapture that feeling of a purpose – doing something not for yourself, but for others, which I think has always led to society being at its best.”

A climate protest by Greenpeace in Brussels in December. Photograph: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Any sacrifice would be mild for most, such as the inconvenience of having a house renovated to low-carbon standards, or switching to electric transport, and eating less meat. But for some it could involve a change of job or living patterns.

“We’re not asking people to go back to 1930s situations, we’re not asking people to live in caves and munch grass. It’s taking perhaps one or two steps back to be able to jump much further in to the future.”

Timmermans’ warnings reflect a growing concern among climate experts that politicians have failed to show people the benefits of a low-carbon society, which include cleaner air and water, more livable cities, and higher levels of health and wellbeing, as well as defusing the climate crisis. Politicians, including Donald Trump and Republicans in the US, have presented tackling climate breakdown as a cost, and many people are fearful for their jobs.

Timmermans acknowledged that some people in traditional industries would have to change, and said the main role for politicians was to make this easier. Reskilling people in industries such as fossil fuel and power generation would be key.

He pointed to Poland, which is highly dependent on coal. “They have a very high level of engineering, of education – there’s a huge potential there [in a low-carbon economy] for a country like Poland. And there simply isn’t any future in coal. The longer you protract [the change], the more painful and the more costly it will be.”

Timmermans has a pivotal role this year, within the EU and globally, as he leads the bloc’s green deal, intended to transform the European economy to a low-carbon footing, and leads the bloc’s climate efforts at Cop26, vital UN climate talks to be hosted by the UK in Glasgow this November.

On Thursday, he travelled to London for his first official visit outside Brussels since the pandemic lockdowns began, with a four-hour meeting in Downing Street with Alok Sharma, the UK’s Cop26 president and host of the talks. He is in weekly contact with John Kerry, climate envoy to US president Joe Biden, and with China’s top climate official, Xie Zhenhua.

The EU has put in law its own climate target, of cutting emissions by at least 55% by 2030 compared with 1990 levels. This is one of the most stretching climate targets yet put forward, alongside those of the UK and the US, though campaigners have said the bloc could do better and have called for a 60% target.

Timmermans said no further improvement of the emissions target was possible, but said he was asking EU member states to come forward with more money for climate finance: assistance from rich to poor countries to help them cut emissions and cope with the impacts of climate breakdown.

“Our approach is ambitious; I think we’ve set the stage. I hope others will follow that example. I see what the UK is doing – that’s even slightly more ambitious than what we’re doing. But then all the others still have a lot of catching up to do. I think the onus here is not on the EU, nor on the UK.”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

T-Paine posted:

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/05/socotra-island-of-strange-plants.html

its probably not long for hte world either lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/30/famine-looms-in-southern-madagascar-uns-food-agency-says

quote:

Speaking by videolink from Madagascar’s capital, Antananarivo, Daoudi told a UN briefing in Geneva he had visited villages where “people have had to resort to desperate survival measures, such as eating locusts, raw red cactus fruits or wild leaves”.

“Famine looms in southern Madagascar as communities witness an almost total disappearance of food sources which has created a full-blown nutrition emergency,” Daoudi said.

“The world is absolutely suffering from COVID, but I think the domino effect in Madagascar, where sandstorms have completely blanketed harvest, they have not had a decent rainfall in years and this will have a massive effect in 2021 on children, on mothers and on families.”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I wonder how people will play this off.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1388164253702492163

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

"What do you expect? It's Africa."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when we all move into the dome you guys better bring a laptop and a lan cable cause we are playing some loving Quake

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
unreal tournament or nothing you piece of poo poo

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
m-m-m-monster kill
-me, about the world

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

shithole country, duh bad things happen there

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

T-Paine posted:

go visit Pando imo

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've decided to plan a nature appreciation trip for me, my wife, and our nine children. We're going to sort of jet around the globe, renting a nice humvee at each locale to get around, and document and take samples of some of nature's marvels before they're lost to us forever.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
thank u 4 ur service

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

I hope those forests are raked in time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've decided to plan a nature appreciation trip for me, my wife, and our nine children. We're going to sort of jet around the globe, renting a nice humvee at each locale to get around, and document and take samples of some of nature's marvels before they're lost to us forever.

wear cleats and walk off trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

wear cleats and walk off trail

Oh we will be protected. I've ordered a case of insecticide already