Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

A Strange Aeon posted:

All great answers, cool! I think I can afford the last mech part and the UAC20+, then I just have to tackle some contracts that are 2 to 2.5 skulls, which I don't think I've done before, but should give me some experience with the Awesome stock to figure out improvements to it while I build up more cash in the system. I'm not sure if I have enough large lasers to replace the PPCs but I'll muck around once I get back to it later tonight.

Again, if you have the "salvage equipped mechs" option, that stock AWS will go a long way in a 2-2.5 skull drop. Also remember that changing armor levels and removing items costs 0 time, so you could remove that SL and a heatsink to boost the stock AWS's armor levels if you want.

Also, always feel free to post screens of your mechs/pilots if you want more detailed advice RE: tackling 2-2.5 skull drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A Strange Aeon posted:

All great answers, cool! I think I can afford the last mech part and the UAC20+, then I just have to tackle some contracts that are 2 to 2.5 skulls, which I don't think I've done before, but should give me some experience with the Awesome stock to figure out improvements to it while I build up more cash in the system. I'm not sure if I have enough large lasers to replace the PPCs but I'll muck around once I get back to it later tonight.

The stock awesome is one of the few Mechs that has dramatically more armor on the back for some reason. So if you are taking it out stock, remember to shift that much more to the front.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A Strange Aeon posted:

Evasion tanking means just sprinting with a fast mech and leaving it exposed, trusting the low armor will draw fire and the dodge pips will protect it from damage?

Jumping is usually better, preferably with a Bulwark / Sure Footed pilot (Coolant vent or Ace Pilot are both solid), but sprinting works. Even normal movement can work if there's only a few enemies left.

Light 'Mechs get a bonus to their hit defense (+2 IIRC, just for being a light 'Mech), medium 'Mechs are neutral, and everyone else eats a size penalty (-2 heavy, -4 assault IIRC).

So the tactic is: jump from treeline to treeline and maximize your move mod (with sure footed pilot, a Firestarter or Jenner can hit 7 evasion pips with ease and against early game pilots that's a 95% miss chance until they're down to their last few pips). The other trick is: if the AI's hit percentage is too low, they won't risk firing any ammo-based weapons at your evasion tank, so rather than trying to tank a Hunchback's AC/20, you can jump a Firestarter or a Jenner or even a Spider nearby and the Hunchback will probably take a potshot with one medium laser and that's it.

Endgame it just gets even stronger, once you hit piloting 10 and your Mechwarrior adds +3 hit defense, and you throw in a +3 hit defense gyro. Firestarters can be downright immortal so long as you're careful with your positioning and don't let more than 3-5 'Mechs take shots on them on the same turn.

Edit: IIRC 2 hit defense is about equal to 1 evasion pip, so in addition to moving slower heavy and assault 'Mechs effectively have 1 or 2 less evasion than their pips suggest. Lights effectively get a 'free' evasion pip on top of their movement. The Firestarter is one of the most powerful 'Mechs in the game, it's got enough tonnage to do some crazy things and can punch way above its weightclass.

Did you know arm mods stack? :haw:

Double Edit: Firestarter's base melee is 45 (It's got a +10 chassis bonus to melee damage). With 2 1 ton 60 damage arm mods (common in the black market), and 2 0 ton 10 damage arm mods (uncommon at mining sites, I believe?) you can field a Firestarter that punches for 185 damage plus the small-laser follow up. Two +60 damage arm mods cost 480,000 c-bills, so it's really easy to get this rolling if you get black market access early. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 30, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
But really, just edit PPC heat to something sane like 28-30. That won't even make it OP, just actually worth using sometimes instead of being 100% worse than almost any other use of that weight.

PPC heat is one of those things that is simply wrong in the vanilla game.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sean10mm posted:

But really, just edit PPC heat to something sane like 28-30. That won't even make it OP, just actually worth using sometimes instead of being 100% worse than almost any other use of that weight.

PPC heat is one of those things that is simply wrong in the vanilla game.

Yeah. I think its an artifact from development versions of the game where the sight range was much longer, making ranged weapons far more important.

I'd argue the following are minimal, obvious changes to fix the most broken weapons:
-- All PPCs heat = 27
-- All AC10s +5 damage, -6 heat
-- All AC2s +5 damage

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Important information for players playing vanilla BATTLETECH with Heavy Metal:

Organ Fiend posted:

MAD-3R: NOOOO, you can't just alpha strike all day at targets in cover! You have to flank them to get into the side or rear arc! You also need to remove bulwark either by stability knockdowns or melee. At this point, the most efficient thing is to use called shots on the head with weapons that do 31+ damage! If you're just firing into a guarded mech, you're wasting damage potential! Its inefficient! Also, you need to have jump jets to make sure you can get into the arc you need to be in and to ensure you stay in cover! You can only carry two! YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG.

ANH-1A: Ha ha ha, ultra autocannons go brrrrrrrrr

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

I've never encountered this before.

What I have encountered is a reinforcement mech spawning outside of the mission area boundaries. The mech in question can not and will not move.

Is the "destroy the reinforcements" objective still showing? If so, you probably have a mech stuck on the border and depending on how far away the reinforcements spawned it may be out of your radar range.

Nope, the "destroy the reinforcements" objective hits 100% and disappears, but the "pacify the base area" objective doesn't clear and trigger ending the mission. There were a bunch of people complaining about the same problem when I Googled it to find a fix, so I thought I'd ask the thread.

I've restarted the mission a few times and I'm still running into the same problem.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Organ Fiend posted:

Important information for players playing vanilla BATTLETECH with Heavy Metal:

Yeah, the Marauder is OP if you make any effort to build it for headshots using precision strike.

The Annihilator is just LOL all the time.

It doesn't even have the speed penalty it should have for using a lawnmower engine in a 100T assault mech.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

McGavin posted:

Nope, the "destroy the reinforcements" objective hits 100% and disappears, but the "pacify the base area" objective doesn't clear and trigger ending the mission. There were a bunch of people complaining about the same problem when I Googled it to find a fix, so I thought I'd ask the thread.

I've restarted the mission a few times and I'm still running into the same problem.

Most of the posts I'm seeing about this when I google it are from 2019, so I'm assuming that the base game fixed this in some later version.

I did find a post from 2020 about this bug being caused by the Battletech Performance Fix mod. I've also seen numerous posts about this bug in Roguetech forums.

Is this an old save file? I.e. did you get this bug, quit the game, come back after updates and try to reload the save? If so, you might want to go back to an earlier save before you launched the mission. If you're using the Battletech Performance Fix mod (or any other mods), I'd suggest checking whether there's a newer version. If so, and it doesn't fix the save, you may have to reload a save before you accept the mission. BEX has the latest version of the performance fix mod incorporated into it, and I haven't had this bug. If you're using roguetech, there's nothing we can do to help you except to suggest trying BEX or BTA.

If this is a new game started on the latest version of BATTLETECH with no mods, then I don't know what to say.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I've had a similar thing in RT recently, I think ti was the last but one Blackout - checked out the first location, killed whatever enemies were there, camped everyone but the Screamer uphill for overwatch. Screamer in, enemies drop, base turrets are hacked and go hostile. Kill everything.

But the "pacify" objective stayed live until everyone slogged down into the base/extraction zone afterwards. Then the evac ship came and MISSION COMPLETE. Dunno if you tried that, and IIRC it wasn't clearly stated anywhere.

Is the capture spot highlighted?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Sounds like I should load my older save and hang on to the Firestarter. I think I sold it because the flamers didn't seem very interesting or something.

Is there a guide for making those small changes to vanilla? I'm assuming it's just changing a json file or something? And will that affect saves?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sounds like I should load my older save and hang on to the Firestarter. I think I sold it because the flamers didn't seem very interesting or something.

Is there a guide for making those small changes to vanilla? I'm assuming it's just changing a json file or something? And will that affect saves?

Its fairly simple to create mods that just change weapon stats. I'll use PPCs as an example.

If you look in the \steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\weapon folder you'll see a bunch of .json files (they're just text files in a specific format, and can be edited like text files). The names of the files are self explanatory, so you should be able to find the .json files for all of the PPCs (i.e. stock PPC and variant versions).

You could directly edit the .json files here, but there are a number of reasons why you don't want to do that. What you want to do is create a mod that replaces these .json files with ones you've edited.

To do this first create the following directory: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name

Inside this directory, create a file called mod.json. The contents of it can look like this:
code:
{
    "Name": "my_mod_name",
    "Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.0.0",
    "Description": "Fix PPC heat",
    "Author": "Me",
    "Website": "https://github.com/lol/notarealurl",
    "Contact": "",

"Settings" : {}
}
Inside the my_mod_name directory, create the following directory: StreamingAssets\data\weapon. Notice how this mirrors the directory structure for the games data files.

Copy and paste all of the .json files for PPCs into this directory. If you read the file (any text editor will do), you should be able to see how all of the weapon stats are stored. If you want to change heat, you'd find the line that says
code:
"HeatGenerated" : 35,
and just change that 35 to whatever you want. You can do this to any of the other values found in the .json file.

The full directory path for modified .json files should be as follows: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name\StreamingAssets\data\weapon

Since "enabled" is set to true in mod.json, the mod should be active the next time you start the game. If you want to check, click on the MODS button in the lower left of the title screen. Your mod should be listed and be checked off as active. Load a save and check the heat value (or whatever) is changed.

If this doesn't work, try putting the mod folder in the \steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods directory instead of my games\BattleTech\mods\. At one point one worked, and then the other did ... I think they both work now, but I'm not sure.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

McGavin posted:

I'd just turn on debug mode and auto complete the mission at that point, personally.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Flamers are lame, small laser and machine gun spam is great tho

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Crits are random rolls to damage components once you stripped the armor off and are damaging structure. Crits don't deal any additional damage and don't happen while there's still armor left. So it isn't worth too much to crit more, the target is soon to be destroyed anyway.
Weapons damaged by crits have 5% accuracy penalty, and damaged weapons are destroyed by another crit. Ammo bins just explode from the first one taking the segment with it and damaging pilot.

Zephro posted:

I may be missing some subtlety of the system but it's always seemed to me that crits are pretty bad:

1) Critting a jump jet or heat sink is basically worthless
2) You have to crit a weapon twice to really do anything noteworthy
3) Critting ammo is decent, but of course not all mechs carry ammo.

Seems to me it's almost always better to take +damage, +acc, -tonnage or -heat variations of a weapon if you possibly can.

edit: you can make a crit-farming machine-gun mech, but I think that's the exception to the general rule that crits are a bit ehh. And of course if they're in melee range of you, you're in melee range of them...

:tipshat: Thanks pardners. Crit honestly seems far worse than even I expected before. I wasn't sure if damage was occasionally added if a crit triggered and I just wasn't noticing. Definitely about to strip all of the +crit Medium Lasers outta all of my mechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did you know arm mods stack? :haw:

I started running a Firestarter because of your LP's and it's completely changed the way I played BattleTech. Except I go balls out on armor and just stack all of the +0 armor mods that are weightless so I can go for even riskier backstabs :jihad:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 1, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

Most of the posts I'm seeing about this when I google it are from 2019, so I'm assuming that the base game fixed this in some later version.

I did find a post from 2020 about this bug being caused by the Battletech Performance Fix mod. I've also seen numerous posts about this bug in Roguetech forums.

Is this an old save file? I.e. did you get this bug, quit the game, come back after updates and try to reload the save? If so, you might want to go back to an earlier save before you launched the mission. If you're using the Battletech Performance Fix mod (or any other mods), I'd suggest checking whether there's a newer version. If so, and it doesn't fix the save, you may have to reload a save before you accept the mission. BEX has the latest version of the performance fix mod incorporated into it, and I haven't had this bug. If you're using roguetech, there's nothing we can do to help you except to suggest trying BEX or BTA.

If this is a new game started on the latest version of BATTLETECH with no mods, then I don't know what to say.

I had the latest version of Battletech Performance Fix installed (2.13 from here). I deleted it, which, ironically, fixed the performance.

Thanks for the help troubleshooting it. :worship:

Edit: According to this, setting "ContractLagFix" to false in the Settings.json will fix it.

Edit 2: ContractLagFix seems to be the culprit. I set it to false and it worked.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 1, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Organ Fiend posted:

This is my UAC20 config and it fits on the GLA-PRIME (which you obviously have). It was designed for a Breaching Shot pilot. I know you don't like the recoil on the UACs, but the TComp does wonders for mitigating it. Kills through back shots are quite reliable, and breaching shot + UAC20 is good for putting holes in mechs in cover.

This is the Mega Grasshopper build, which uses the GLA-D (fairly common with the wolves). It was designed for a coolant flush pilot. It can reliably kill anything with a precision strike to the rear and can do this 2 to 3 times (depending on biome) before you're overheating and have already used coolant flush. You see its also a solid melee mech with the melee mod and all of the SLs. Once this thing gets into knife fighting range, it just starts murdering things. You could upgrade the lasers to PLs by changing HS to DHS.

This is an experimental UAC20 config that uses the GLA-C (I've only seen this one against the Jade Falcons). The main thing with this one is the clan targeting comp, which increases the hit percentage on called location. I haven't had a chance to try this one out yet, but I'm wondering whether this will increase the reliability of back kills compared to the GLA-PRIME UAC20 build. One things to note about the UAC20 and breaching shot: some clan mechs like the Loki have < 200 points of armor + internals on the CT. This means that a breaching shot UAC20 volley can one-shot such mechs in cover. The TComp on this mech might make this a viable strat.

Note that the way that Omni mechs work in this game is that if you've ever gotten one part for one config of an Omni, you can ready a mech with that config. E.g. if you want to make the GLA-D config, but have only ever salvaged one GLA-D part, you can unready the prime, and when you go to ready it again you'll have the option of readying the PRIME or the D (or any other config that you've salvaged a part for).

Its and IS omni and its a 90 tonner with XL and engine DHS. Its a good platform, but ugly as all hell. I sold the one that I salvaged.

I switched over to the first build you suggested because I finally got hold of a ballistics computer, and it definitely kicks rear end. jumping behind people and coring them is great. I also swapped my annihilator over to the 3 gauss / 1 ER PPC build and that is great too. the gladiator hops behind the mechs I don't want and cores them, and the annihillator still chops heads with decent relability, despite seeming to be capped at 14% hit chance. even if it doesn't hit the head it still does juicy damage to the other locations.

I upgraded my cyclops CP-10-Z to a CP-10-HQ, which had an advanced command computer thing that gives +1 accuracy and also 10% damage reduction for the lance. it fits less good weapons (missiles instead of a ballistic slot)but I don't really bring it for its offensive powers. it does ok.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I completed a 2.5 skull battle mission, but it was a good bit harder than I thought it would be. I think it was 3 wolverines, two cicadas with ppc, a centurion, a shadowhawk, and something else too, split between the original targets and the reinforcement lance, but they all converged shortly after first contact.

The Awesome with the 3 PPCS did great work, as did the Quickdraw I'd gotten recently. I was a bit better about moving my missile centurion out to draw some fire when my shadowhawk was taking a lot of damage, so I'll need to do repairs but nothing too bad.

Is the wolverine any good? I got one out of the salvage, they seemed pretty durable when fighting them but that might have been because I wasn't doing my tactics well in the battle.

Also, I thought I'd browse the Steam workshop to see what mods are out there but didn't see that there was a workshop at all? Am I missing something about where the mods live if not in Steam?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wolverines are a solid medium, if you get the one with the 3 missile hardpoints in the left torso it's functionally identical to the Griffin and you can do a good SRM-bomber setup with it (3 SRM-6 w/ max armor and ammo, jump jets, and medium lasers to taste or heat sinks if you feel the lasers make it too hot).

The other Wolverine is a bit lackluster but still a decent upgrade for a Blackjack or a Vindicator.

Most of the mod scene is on Nexus.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 1, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

one of my guys died and I can't figure out how because I was not paying attention. his mech lost one side torso and fell down, but did not take any head hits. he was in an Atlas. somehow this caused him to die. He had 2 LB-X 10s in the torso that got destroyed, but no ammo. he also had 5 total health points.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I switched over to the first build you suggested because I finally got hold of a ballistics computer, and it definitely kicks rear end. jumping behind people and coring them is great. I also swapped my annihilator over to the 3 gauss / 1 ER PPC build and that is great too. the gladiator hops behind the mechs I don't want and cores them, and the annihillator still chops heads with decent relability, despite seeming to be capped at 14% hit chance. even if it doesn't hit the head it still does juicy damage to the other locations.

I upgraded my cyclops CP-10-Z to a CP-10-HQ, which had an advanced command computer thing that gives +1 accuracy and also 10% damage reduction for the lance. it fits less good weapons (missiles instead of a ballistic slot)but I don't really bring it for its offensive powers. it does ok.

RE hit chance: thats 14% per shot, so an 86% chance for you to not hit head. In order for you to not hit the head, all 4 have to miss, and the chance of that is much smaller. Chance for at least one to hit is around 40%.

RE the CP-10-HQ: I'm not much of a fan, but if it works for you, go for it. You can probably get something worthwhile out of it with all of those lightweight clan energy weapons.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I completed a 2.5 skull battle mission, but it was a good bit harder than I thought it would be. I think it was 3 wolverines, two cicadas with ppc, a centurion, a shadowhawk, and something else too, split between the original targets and the reinforcement lance, but they all converged shortly after first contact.

The Awesome with the 3 PPCS did great work, as did the Quickdraw I'd gotten recently. I was a bit better about moving my missile centurion out to draw some fire when my shadowhawk was taking a lot of damage, so I'll need to do repairs but nothing too bad.

Is the wolverine any good? I got one out of the salvage, they seemed pretty durable when fighting them but that might have been because I wasn't doing my tactics well in the battle.

Also, I thought I'd browse the Steam workshop to see what mods are out there but didn't see that there was a workshop at all? Am I missing something about where the mods live if not in Steam?

Just to add to what PTN already posted, the WVR, GRF, and SHD are all solid mediums. They all have the same movement profile and all of them can carry an array of MLs, SRMs and SLs/MGs, which is what works best at this stage in the game. Normally I also like to have a HBK or CN9 (slower mech = smaller engine = more available tonnage) for fire support/close support, while the WVR/GRF/SHDs flank and go for backshots. However, you have an AWS, so that should take care of the fire support angle.

Also, RE the AWS and configurations in general: We all rag on the PPCs just because they're not as efficient as other weapons, but that doesn't mean it can't work. The AWS worked for you even if it wasn't the best possible config. When modifying a mech that mostly is working for you, instead of just stripping everything and starting from scratch, try taking the mostly working config, asking yourself what worked and what didn't, and try improving incrementally from there. Like with the AWS: running too hot for you? Try dropping a single PPC to a LL+2HS. Running cool, but not punching hard enough? Drop a PPC for a LL and 2xML. Keep an eye out for snPPCs. They're awesome and would be really nice on an Awesome.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is the mackie in BEX? i want to collect some old timey mechs

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I assume PTN's talking about the Energy Wolverine, because the Ballistic Wolverine is dogshit.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Q_res posted:

I assume PTN's talking about the Energy Wolverine, because the Ballistic Wolverine is dogshit.

Ballistic wolverine can carry 3xSRM6, I think. Energy wolverine only has one missile hardpoint, but 5 energy. They they're both good.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Oh poo poo, I had it reversed in my head. Alright "dogshit" is an overstatement. It's more like, "A Shadowhawk, except worse".

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the Berserker has finally been released in my game but the only place i can find to buy it is hesperus, and they're selling it for 42 million complete which is a little much. I'd like to find it in pieces somewhere but I've not seen any yet.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the Berserker has finally been released in my game but the only place i can find to buy it is hesperus, and they're selling it for 42 million complete which is a little much. I'd like to find it in pieces somewhere but I've not seen any yet.

*pokes around in game files*

Don't see parts in stores, just the mech. The mech will appear in Steiner assault lances, but its pretty rare.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

*pokes around in game files*

Don't see parts in stores, just the mech. The mech will appear in Steiner assault lances, but its pretty rare.

curses. I'm allied with steiner so I'm unlikely to run into one of their assault lances. thank you for checking though!

in other hard to find mech news, I have successfully claimed the Urbie's Dad:

the mech bay lighting makes the textures look really blurry and blown out for some reason. maybe I need to find a new colour scheme

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The moded in mechs are wildly inconsistent in qualities of coukd just be the model

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Here's something I have yet to figure out: Why do I see "Enemy Turn" where everything on the OpFor moves and shoots, then they get another set of moves woven in with mine?

RBA Starblade posted:

The Assassin has the weight for that?
Turns out the answer is "no". After getting it utterly trashcanned on the first mission I tried that, I moved the snPPC to a Phoenix Hawk and now the Assassin just mounts an SRM2++, SRM6 and MLaser. The Phoenix Hawk jumps around and shoots the snPPC straight into enemy backs, but I'm avoiding all lunar missions for now because the heat management is a loving nightmare. I'll think about coming back when I get a few more mechs with cannons and missiles.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shumagorath posted:

Here's something I have yet to figure out: Why do I see "Enemy Turn" where everything on the OpFor moves and shoots, then they get another set of moves woven in with mine?

Turns out the answer is "no". After getting it utterly trashcanned on the first mission I tried that, I moved the snPPC to a Phoenix Hawk and now the Assassin just mounts an SRM2++, SRM6 and MLaser. The Phoenix Hawk jumps around and shoots the snPPC straight into enemy backs, but I'm avoiding all lunar missions for now because the heat management is a loving nightmare. I'll think about coming back when I get a few more mechs with cannons and missiles.

Movement in this game goes in phases, based on the weight of units. Lights go first, then mediums, heavies, and assaults. If the enemy has only lights and you have all mediums and heavies, then everything they have will move first. (That's not always an advantage though). If there are mediums on both sides, then you'll alternate moves with the enemy. There's never a case when one unit simply gets to move more often though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Movement in this game goes in phases, based on the weight of units. Lights go first, then mediums, heavies, and assaults. If the enemy has only lights and you have all mediums and heavies, then everything they have will move first. (That's not always an advantage though). If there are mediums on both sides, then you'll alternate moves with the enemy. There's never a case when one unit simply gets to move more often though.

I don't know if Shumagorath has ever played XCOM or not, but BattleTech works a little like that. If you're not in the combat phase (you don't see the phases on the top of your screen) enemies will move around occasionally once all of your units have moved. You usually get into sensor range of other units while you are moving your units though, and this can result in you getting caught with your pants down if the units you've already moved pre-combat sequence are in a bad spot. Typically you want as many evasion pips as possible and your units to be in some sort of cover/concealment from the enemies you are activating when you get into sensor range of units for the first time.

I'm assuming this is what Shumagorath is referring to.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, I just did a contract where I only got to deploy one of my own mechs and had to train 3 other mechs.

I feel guilty I got the other three pilots killed, but the mission was still considered successful, even though I don't see how it could have been. Did I miss out on anything by not having the guys I was supposed to train survive?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A 10%-25% pay increase at most. No big loss.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I played XCOM (the reboot) and Final Fantasy Tactics but for some reason Battletech doesn't feel like it uses either kind of system. Maybe it's the sheer volume on dogshit convoy missions, or maybe it's my skimming some of the basic instructions thinking other TBT games would carry me.

Either way, you have all been very helpful and I'm enjoying the game more on account of this thread.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the secret to vehicle is having your mech stomp on them. they take way too long to kill otherwise

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Use precision shot to hit their side armor. Tanks have generally 20% less side armor than front or turret armor.

Alternatively, two Gauss Rifle hits to the same location will instantly kill any tank even if they don't breach armor since even the heaviest tanks don't have more than 10 internal structure. The same applies to vanilla turrets. :ssh:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my triple clan ppc loadout for the imp is not going well. I was hoping to make it like a bigger Awesome with an LRM pod, but i need a lot more heat sinks

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Organ Fiend posted:

Its fairly simple to create mods that just change weapon stats. I'll use PPCs as an example.

If you look in the \steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\weapon folder you'll see a bunch of .json files (they're just text files in a specific format, and can be edited like text files). The names of the files are self explanatory, so you should be able to find the .json files for all of the PPCs (i.e. stock PPC and variant versions).

You could directly edit the .json files here, but there are a number of reasons why you don't want to do that. What you want to do is create a mod that replaces these .json files with ones you've edited.

To do this first create the following directory: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name

Inside this directory, create a file called mod.json. The contents of it can look like this:
code:
{
    "Name": "my_mod_name",
    "Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.0.0",
    "Description": "Fix PPC heat",
    "Author": "Me",
    "Website": "https://github.com/lol/notarealurl",
    "Contact": "",

"Settings" : {}
}
Inside the my_mod_name directory, create the following directory: StreamingAssets\data\weapon. Notice how this mirrors the directory structure for the games data files.

Copy and paste all of the .json files for PPCs into this directory. If you read the file (any text editor will do), you should be able to see how all of the weapon stats are stored. If you want to change heat, you'd find the line that says
code:
"HeatGenerated" : 35,
and just change that 35 to whatever you want. You can do this to any of the other values found in the .json file.

The full directory path for modified .json files should be as follows: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name\StreamingAssets\data\weapon

Since "enabled" is set to true in mod.json, the mod should be active the next time you start the game. If you want to check, click on the MODS button in the lower left of the title screen. Your mod should be listed and be checked off as active. Load a save and check the heat value (or whatever) is changed.

If this doesn't work, try putting the mod folder in the \steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods directory instead of my games\BattleTech\mods\. At one point one worked, and then the other did ... I think they both work now, but I'm not sure.
I missed this post and edited PPC heat and AC damage in-place. Should I verify my game files and start again, or can I get away with my changes until a future patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's not going to be any further patches to battletech, so you're ok either way really. Separating things out just makes it easy to keep things in order or mix and match with other mods.