Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/957thegame/status/1388176725461196803

Man who hasn't developed a player since 2014 wonders why his young players aren't developed

Alternatively, team with no player taller than 6'9" gives up many rebounds and coach is left perplexed as to why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Sounds like Kerr is passive aggressively blaming his players. Gotta love coaches who throw their players under the bus in bad times. "NBA is most skilled ever but their fundamentals are bad!!" OH ok

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Brogeoisie posted:

Sounds like Kerr is passive aggressively blaming his players. Gotta love coaches who throw their players under the bus in bad times. "NBA is most skilled ever but their fundamentals are bad!!" OH ok

In the article he claims it is a league wide problem and sees it every time he turns on league pass. Though he does go on to say it hurts small teams like his especially bad. I kind of agree with him about boxing out but part of that is probably because I watch the Mavs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Poor inexperienced teams like the Warriors just can't compete with Veteran, competent teams like the Timberwolves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
(Kerr also says the talent level is at an all-time high and players are still giving effort, but things like boxing out and transition have been hurt as a result, which I don't think is particularly wrong.)

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what are we freaking out about now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Gonna build a team based on the fundamentals and dominate the league

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

leftist heap posted:

we already saw this in the 2018-19 Raptors non-Kawhi minutes

and it was gorgeous

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

I also miss the Beautiful Game Spurs.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I mean, complaining that high school level is not doing that is ok I guess. But if he's complaining that the 1 and done kids aren't hanging around college long enough to learn that there....well that's just on their own development staff and g-league affiliate

Also, NBA defenses now are asking players to do lots of things other than just hover around their assignment like in the old days and that don't always put them in a position to do that. Sometimes a defender is 3-5 feet off the closest man so boxing them out effectively isn't really that easy unless you turn your head to find someone and take yourself out of the ability to get the rebound. He maybe should complain that small ball teams like his aren't gang rebounding very effectively but that isn't a good dog whistle for old dudes

The "find someone" thing was something my old coaches yelled at guards to do but that was because we were supposed to have a big guy down there to gobble it up themselves and we'd also get yelled at for not helping out with rebounds if our big guy wasn't as big as the other guy.

I will say boxing out a guy 30-40 pounds heavier than you because you can funnel their movement away from the ball is fun as hell.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 30, 2021

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
what are the fundamentals again

1) making shots
2) rebounding missed shots so you can try again
3) preventing other team from making shots
4) rebounding missed shots so the other team cant try again

miss anything?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1388199108368818181?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AV4fyId29o

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I mean, complaining that high school level is not doing that is ok I guess. But if he's complaining that the 1 and done kids aren't hanging around college long enough to learn that there....well that's just on their own development staff and g-league affiliate

Also, NBA defenses now are asking players to do lots of things other than just hover around their assignment like in the old days and that don't always put them in a position to do that. Sometimes a defender is 3-5 feet off the closest man so boxing them out effectively isn't really that easy unless you turn your head to find someone and take yourself out of the ability to get the rebound. He maybe should complain that small ball teams like his aren't gang rebounding very effectively but that isn't a good dog whistle for old dudes

The "find someone" thing was something my old coaches yelled at guards to do but that was because we were supposed to have a big guy down there to gobble it up themselves and we'd also get yelled at for not helping out with rebounds if our big guy wasn't as big as the other guy.

I will say boxing out a guy 30-40 pounds heavier than you because you can funnel their movement away from the ball is fun as hell.

I think one thing is even relatively recently you used to have guys who were kinda middling at a bunch of skills but did a bunch of small stuff really well and that was enough to be a real rotation player. Now those guys are mostly gone because you just can't afford to play guys like that. So while there are still players who do "fundamentals" really well, you've sorta eliminated a whole category of player who were doing that stuff a lot or were especially good at it.

WhyteRyce posted:

He maybe should complain that small ball teams like his aren't gang rebounding very effectively but that isn't a good dog whistle for old dudes

I don't think there is dog whistling going on, he said almost exactly what you said he should have said:

quote:

"I'm not saying everybody's going to average whatever type of rebounds, but you know how to do it as a team. I think early in the season this was a big talking point; we figured it out a little bit and now it's coming back to bite us a little bit now that we're small again so -- it is glaring. 57-34. That's nuts. So we got to figure that out."

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Assuming stuff like shooting and passing is part of fundamentals it's almost certainly far better than it's ever been.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

my take is that kerr got spoiled from being able to have Iggy and shaun livingston come off the bench because they were criminally underpaying the first unanimous mvp. he also didn't speak up about it last year because the organization's top priority was sending out signals that they were having so much fun with KD gone.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Assuming stuff like shooting and passing is part of fundamentals it's almost certainly far better than it's ever been.

Passing is only fundamental if it is a two handed chest bounce pass to a stationary set shooter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Katana_Warrior posted:

my take is that kerr got spoiled from being able to have Iggy and shaun livingston come off the bench because they were criminally underpaying the first unanimous mvp. he also didn't speak up about it last year because the organization's top priority was sending out signals that they were having so much fun with KD gone.

The more boring answer is he's trying to get his players motivated by insulting them at a press conference

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Katana_Warrior posted:

my take is that kerr got spoiled from being able to have Iggy and shaun livingston come off the bench because they were criminally underpaying the first unanimous mvp

...and getting solid seasons out of Speights and Zaza and Jerebko. Those were guys who could come in if your small lineups were getting knocked around or even just soak up minutes so you're not playing only 8 guys against the flipping Timberwolves in late April.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A second team finna bust 150 on the kings in the same week it seems.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I was excited for Chriss to have a nice season. He was one of the only bright spots of watching last season.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
You guys are right about the pains of having a bunch of maxes on the cap. The rest of the roster can become loving horrible when you can't at least spread one max spot to several guys

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That's a 'fundamental skill' but not what he means by 'fundamentals.' He's talking about the footwork and sort of rote way of seeing which spot or guy you need to occupy and doing that without hesitation

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Katana_Warrior posted:

My take is this is not a big deal.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

dokmo posted:

a rare occurrence, a highlight edit (and a boss slap bass solo). giannis barely played. bucks were switching a ton, uncharacteristically, and lopez got hung out to dry. thought they would try more donte on him. you can see the harden comps in the right foot stepside stepbacks, but porter is weirdly a right hand finisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESyhqWAS2Y

i guess not technically a highlight video, since i included all his missed shots as well.

but that bass. man that rules.

thing of beauty. and i would also like to know what hte song is as well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/hornets/status/1388236555177824261?s=20

hell yeah

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 30, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

You guys are right about the pains of having a bunch of maxes on the cap. The rest of the roster can become loving horrible when you can't at least spread one max spot to several guys

I feel like that fine as long as you have those three Max dudes healthy. Like if Klay Thompson were playing this year at the same level he was in 2017 that team is probably fourth or fifth in the West. It’s not a super original insight but when a third of your cap is going to a guy who played 0 minutes that’s uh. Bad. Guys like Oubre and Wiggins are not as harmful when they only have to play 20 minutes and most of it against backups

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EmotionlessThug posted:

thing of beauty. and i would also like to know what hte song is as well.

That was Inner Soul "Little Jack Horner"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

To my fellow Jazz fans buckle in.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1388271317531598848?s=20

????

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Respect for Vogel

Tuesday: "No update, He is out indefinitely"
This afternoon: "Oh, yeah he's playing in *checks watch* couple hours"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I thought maybe it was a move to get to the salary floor but they are over cap so who knows.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I hope Rondo drills him in the dick with a ball again

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/TrashTalk_fr/status/1388290018129686529?s=20

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1388293306942050307?s=20

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
what AD couldn't do...

https://twitter.com/Hoop_District/status/1388297659086168066?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/1388304549572759553?s=21

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

This game is tied now somehow.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lol Embiid.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

This game is tied now somehow.

haha drat

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat might have to go back and check that Spurs/Celtics game, you don’t see a 32 point comeback very often.