Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Please note that all of this is coming from a place of complete ignorance, but it's kind of scary to imagine how the end of GSL will impact the people whose livelihoods depend on it. Tasteless should be fine - he has the voice, personality, and willingness to cast other games. But I wonder how Artosis will fare in a post-GSL world without much televised starcraft.

And, of course, the players. I assume the very top pros have saved up enough money to transition to something else. The others, though. I think a lot of them drop out of school to play. Sure, they make enough to get by now, but what happens when the scene disappears and they're left in their mid 20s with nothing but RSI issues.

Hopefully they're planning for it and the contemporary GSL scene isn't so cutthroat that they can go to school or learn a trade (or get pro-tier good at another game) while competing.

My understanding for BW pros is that almost all their money comes from streaming these days anyhow. Plus the income from whatever they call the little mini tournament matches fans chip in for. It seems to be holding the scene together, I figure you might see more of that for the big SC2 pros as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
On Artosis stream: that bald guy creigton (spelling?) reached out to GSL to cast the qualifiers and they said no.

I also get the sense from Artosis that GSL isn't going to be around in 2022.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Saul of the UpATreeZelda stream has been losing his mind about void ray openers for 30 mins now. Hell, I agree.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea my ZvP is a rough place right now. Really loving ZvT and ZvZ is growing on me.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

HSC is always my favorite tournament. Wish they were in person drinking because that adds to the fun, but even online there has still been some good moments.

Keegers fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 12, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Please note that all of this is coming from a place of complete ignorance, but it's kind of scary to imagine how the end of GSL will impact the people whose livelihoods depend on it. Tasteless should be fine - he has the voice, personality, and willingness to cast other games. But I wonder how Artosis will fare in a post-GSL world without much televised starcraft.

And, of course, the players. I assume the very top pros have saved up enough money to transition to something else. The others, though. I think a lot of them drop out of school to play. Sure, they make enough to get by now, but what happens when the scene disappears and they're left in their mid 20s with nothing but RSI issues.

Hopefully they're planning for it and the contemporary GSL scene isn't so cutthroat that they can go to school or learn a trade (or get pro-tier good at another game) while competing.

I have been an avid watcher of competitive SC2 since the beginning of Heart of the Swarm (which, funnily enough, will be 8 years old tomorrow and is also my birthday, though I only recently started playing SC2 more seriously), and I have thought about this so many times. I think streaming is a pretty successful route for some of the fan favorites, but I also think that's just a further extension on what will eventually be a dead game, and all of these players will still be very young when that time does finally come. I don't really know how the military works in SK, maybe they can pursue an education while they do their obligatory service and transition out that way? Not a lot of players have had success at coming back after their military service. It seems like it's pretty much the end of a lot of progamers' careers (as progamers anyway).

I think Zest and Stats are the next to go? Protoss is going to be a significantly weaker race at the competitive level after that, although Zoun is an absolute beast.

I used to wake up at like 5am in my senior year of high school to watch Proleague before leaving for class, which is insanely nerdy to reflect upon. I can still remember accidentally stumbling onto a major tournament being streamed and seeing a ~40 minute macro game between TY and Flash that culminated in a base trade or something. I remember, being more or less an RTS virgin at that point, going crazy seeing their micro and not being able to believe that a single human was performing all of those actions at that speed until the camera switched to their hands.

I just searched for this thread because I was feeling nostalgic about the game and felt like posting my melodrama, but IEM Katowice recently had like ~35K viewers between all their streams at peak hours. That's a reasonably sized community, even if it's not the apex of esports, and I feel like the European scene is sustained pretty strongly by its online tournaments and Twitch culture.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Even with Blizz pulling the plug, there will be strong independent tournaments for the next few years at least. Hopefully by the time sc2 finishes fizzling away, there will be a replacement.

Hell, Brood War still has professional tournaments in Korea :v:

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Sc2 ladder is still going strong. Never have trouble finding a match. The Shopify CEO has positioned himself as a patron of the pro scene so there will continue to be tournaments. It will be a niche community but that’s how games were before the hyper monetization of competitive gaming/streaming. I think SC2 will do just fine until a replacement comes out whether it be frost king or an indie developer.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
SC2 is the best it's been in a long time since Blizzard gave up trying to run tournaments, and just gave ESL a bag of money to do it. Just need someone with another bag of money when the deal runs out in 1½ years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
sc2 will persist past the money running out similar to how broodwar currently persists: with players and personalities primarily supported by streaming or other casting gigs. tastosis in particular absolutely will be able to get work casting other esports (and they were casting some valorant tournament at the afreeca studios yesterday even?). notably sc2 can persist on a pretty small relative number of viewers because it monetizes really well given the viewer demos (eg 30-45 comparatively high income means that sc2 youtube content pays out like an order of magnitude more than other games with primarily 16-24 playerbases or w/e).

On a serious note, too, I think a lot of the big people in the rts world are kind of maintaining until the upcoming major studio rts projects start coming out and we'll also see a ton of the old big names in bw and sc2 turn up again as competitors in whatever the next big rts ends up being.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i dont think this thread shold be in retro games imo -_-

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Smythe posted:

i dont think this thread shold be in retro games imo -_-

Agreed. Legacy of the Void was released November 2015. Co-op was released a few years ago. And the game received major patch updates until a few months ago. There are 10s thousands of players online at any time. The game is really popular since it went free to play (custom, co-op, or ladder).

I really, really think this thread should be in the main gaming forum. It would get more traffic from those that might want to pick up the game again or watch a pro tournament.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

laxbro posted:

Yea my ZvP is a rough place right now. Really loving ZvT and ZvZ is growing on me.

Widow mines in ZvT make me angrier than anything else in the world. They're why I quit shortly after HotS came out. This time, I've gone with a more measured response and have just been playing chill protoss games a-moving carriers around the map for a while. Keeps the blood pressure nice and low.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Widow mines in ZvT make me angrier than anything else in the world. They're why I quit shortly after HotS came out. This time, I've gone with a more measured response and have just been playing chill protoss games a-moving carriers around the map for a while. Keeps the blood pressure nice and low.

Yea the huge emphasis on splash damage in SC2 is annoying. Similarly, the over reliance on hard counter units to achieve balance is pretty annoying. The game becomes a bit like "rock, paper, scissors" in that respect. Still a super fun game.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Unless I'm mistaken, I'm going to have a new GSL to watch when I get off of work tomorrow. PartinG vs Dark next Monday :munch:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

piL posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm going to have a new GSL to watch when I get off of work tomorrow. PartinG vs Dark next Monday :munch:

It's good to be back. I really like this new b05 format. Also excited for the 4player maps returning.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I loving lost it during Creator vs Maru at 2:45:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1CI8RQFxms&t=9925s

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
2021 GSL S1 Code A PartinG vs Dark PartinG no :(

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
So uh in those Group A matches was TY literally playing in his sleep or what happened there

oh well, bunny redemption arc :allears:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

There have been some great series so far.

Some absolutely loving awful ones. But some very good games. And some surprises!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Synastren posted:

Some absolutely loving awful ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlgmuVG7HKg

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
bump with this classic from GSL season 1. remember GSL season 1? i remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMXoyUqzkw

The Casting Archon

FruitDealer

Liquid Jinro

RIP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Installing a windows HTPC so I could watch the GSL on my big screen TV in my koreatown apartment via the GomPlayer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That feel when MKP was the first Terran to win the GSL by pioneering marine splitting vs muta ling bane. Insane.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Starcraft 2 is the greatest eSport in the world, and Tasteless and Artosis are the greatest casters in history. Bar none.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zest carrier build seems really strong

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Smythe posted:

Starcraft 2 is the greatest eSport in the world, and Tasteless and Artosis are the greatest casters in history. Bar none.

Truth.

GSL spoiler
Felt like Rogue was hustling us and turned it on in the end. GGs.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

piL posted:

GSL spoiler
Felt like Rogue was hustling us and turned it on in the end. GGs.

I feel like the level of play at the top is definitely not as sharp as it used to be. I love the hell out of Rogue, and I don't know if he's leaning so heavily on all ins now because he's not happy with the state of balance and figures cheese gives him the best overall odds of winning vs. T and P or he just finds it easier to play like this, but it's not nearly as impressive as his play during his miracle year of winning Blizzcon and the SuperTournament.

I mean it's still SC2 so it's still great and I love it anyway, but I feel like the play among the top dogs generally is not what it was a few years ago. Maybe the scene and the players at the top are a bit stale at the end here and people are mailing it in a bit.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Zwabu posted:

I feel like the level of play at the top is definitely not as sharp as it used to be. I love the hell out of Rogue, and I don't know if he's leaning so heavily on all ins now because he's not happy with the state of balance and figures cheese gives him the best overall odds of winning vs. T and P or he just finds it easier to play like this, but it's not nearly as impressive as his play during his miracle year of winning Blizzcon and the SuperTournament.

I mean it's still SC2 so it's still great and I love it anyway, but I feel like the play among the top dogs generally is not what it was a few years ago. Maybe the scene and the players at the top are a bit stale at the end here and people are mailing it in a bit.

I think people are just getting a bit sloppier because they have fewer large scale tournaments to play--their practice games are coming from teammates and bests of one (ladder), and so they're getting surprised more often since they have less tournament play time and less quality tape to watch. In a way, it makes the games more exciting and reminds me a bit of early do-weird-poo poo wings of liberty era.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Maru vs Trap

:eek: I was looking forward to Trap v Rogue

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Same. Poor Trap; that was an awful collapse.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What a loving wild set of games for both semi matches

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maru with the reverse sweep! Why did Trap try DTs two games in a row? Did he think that Maru would mess up the second time after demolishing the DT build the first time?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I decided to watch a Mario Bros 3 race recently. I have never felt more privileged with the commentators for SC2 than I did listening to the trainwreck that was that race commentary. It was so painful that I very nearly signed up to cast one of the future races because I likely wouldn't embarrass myself.

Wardi & Rotti have been casting a lot of TSL and WTL games. Clem/Serral/Reynor have been on a tear lately, and I'm reasonably convinced that Clem is just below Maru/TY purely because of his god tier tvz.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Synastren posted:

I decided to watch a Mario Bros 3 race recently. I have never felt more privileged with the commentators for SC2 than I did listening to the trainwreck that was that race commentary. It was so painful that I very nearly signed up to cast one of the future races because I likely wouldn't embarrass myself.

Even most of the seasoned veterans in other esports originate from sc2. It's a shame sc2 has dwindled a bit from lack of blizzard support. Here's to hoping aoe4, Immortal, or frost giant can respark rts esports. I'm not in the RTS games are dead camp, just enjoy when the games are more populated as a whole.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think RTS will stick around because it has several qualities that make it the best game genre to watch in a competitive environment. The one-on-one nature really gives it that distinction, tactical nature, and individual character of the sweet science. It also has a natural visual to tactical relationship that's similar to rugby or American football that just makes the arrangements of shapes of bodies both meaningful and decipherable.

I find most esports aren't compelling to watch from a third person perspective--FPSs and MOBA are both better experiences when you follow a single player. Maybe you jump between players based on whoever is doing something exciting at the time, but the field as a whole isn't so fun to watch.

I think MOBA's success comes from constantly being engaging during play but being a more social game than RTS. I dont think MOBA is as fun to watch unless you play that MOBA but I'm happy never playing SC2 again and just watching people play it. Kind of like most sports. If someone can find that gap between the two--the social marketability of MOBA (play with people, be a team) and the visual clarity and technicality of RTS or fighting games, I think that'll be the next king of esports.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I cannot imagine watching a MOBA by following around a single player. If you’re studying that player specifically to try to learn from them, fine, but otherwise that sounds painfully dull, just endless scenes of them walking around the map and/or farming. You’d miss most of what’s happening in the game.

What I enjoy watching about SC2 is very different from what I enjoy watching about DOTA. DOTA games have a complex internal storyline from the chaotic interactions of 10 different players with ten very different characters in a changing environment. The story of any given SC2 game is much more straightforward, even when there’s a comeback, and you can really focus on how individual strategic choices or tactical outplays determined the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
One thing HotS did well was eliminate farming. Game is constantly centered around both teams jockeying for position to start a fight.