Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

With Jordan, it was always intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Vavrek posted:

Somebody said it here, I think, that it's either a weird uncomfortable coincidence or a stroke of absolute genius that the only (prominently depicted) society which practices pervasive, institutional slavery speaks with a heavy Southern drawl.

Homeboy is from Charleston, South Carolina. I would wager anything that it was completely intentional. Especially Tuon.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Somebody said it here, I think, that it's either a weird uncomfortable coincidence or a stroke of absolute genius that the only (prominently depicted) society which practices pervasive, institutional slavery speaks with a heavy Southern drawl.

*waves hand*

Also for added fun, the most prominent slaveowner of the culture is a black woman.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Illianers seem very Dutch to me, are they involved in slaving at all?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I always pictured Perrin as one of those guys who was "wider than he was tall". There's just something about being a blacksmith that made me think he was a shorty. All shoulders, no legs.

I think it's also in my head, I read the series as a kid, and so Lan was always taller than the other characters, except maybe Rand, and when the characters grew up, I still pictured Lan as taller same as I picture my dad as taller even though he's shorter than me.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vavrek posted:

As for casting, just get the best actors you can and worry about appearance only when it's extremely important (Rand looking Aiel), and focus hard on making clear what the cultural groups are. (But then, I liked Idris Elba's Roland.)

Rand's look is really the only one where appearance matters in the books, too. He has to look recognizably different than anyone who isn't Aiel, and that kind of forces all the other Aiel to look similar to him.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I always pictured Perrin as one of those guys who was "wider than he was tall". There's just something about being a blacksmith that made me think he was a shorty. All shoulders, no legs.

I think it's also in my head, I read the series as a kid, and so Lan was always taller than the other characters, except maybe Rand, and when the characters grew up, I still pictured Lan as taller same as I picture my dad as taller even though he's shorter than me.

I always saw Lan as slightly shorter than Rand, but Perrin was similar and Mat was a little shorter. I don't know why.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I always thought Mat was significantly shorter than Perrin and Rand. Rand I always saw as like Basketball player tall, with Perrin more in the 6' range and built like a brick shithouse and then Mat as a pretty squirrelly 5'5 dude who's roughly average height with the general populace.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zore posted:

I always thought Mat was significantly shorter than Perrin and Rand. Rand I always saw as like Basketball player tall, with Perrin more in the 6' range and built like a brick shithouse and then Mat as a pretty squirrelly 5'5 dude who's roughly average height with the general populace.

There are several female characters who remark that Mat is pretty well muscled, Obviously nothing like Perrin, but I never pictured Mat as "squirrelly".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

he strikes me as like a lightweight fighter or something, lean and wiry as hell

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

<insert Brad Pitt from fight club picture here>

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

Since Shienarans/Lan always gave me a strong samurai vibe, he's actually pretty close to the Lan I pictured in my mind.

Same here; maybe because of the cover art for EotW?

It's weird because the Seanchan helmets and armor are definitely more samurai inspired

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

th3t00t posted:

Lan: You know nothing Jon Snow Rand Al'Thor

Can't say I think this was a good choice for Lan's dialogue as it comes off as cribbing from GOT.

Why not have him say his: "Death is light as a feather, duty heavy as a mountain."

That's a nice 2 second clip that gets fans all hot 'n bothered and doesn't spoil a single second.

Agreed, whyyyyyyy. Although Lan pretty much tells the boys that they know nothing, all the time. Just have him calling them sheepherders or something

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He better be feared and admired by everyone he encounters, I swear to god.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DarkHorse posted:

Same here; maybe because of the cover art for EotW?

It's weird because the Seanchan helmets and armor are definitely more samurai inspired

I always thought of the Seanchan helmets as kind of a throwback to the Age of Legends. They had the ter'an'greal that could talk over long distances, I just assumed that most of the soldiers then had them in their helmets for communication and they stuck out a bit so they worked better, and Hawkwing was close enough in time that they had lost the ability to do it, but decorated them so they looked similar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The soldiers at the end of the war of power wore helmets like that yeah. It was called out in the visions.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

seaborgium posted:

I always thought of the Seanchan helmets as kind of a throwback to the Age of Legends. They had the ter'an'greal that could talk over long distances, I just assumed that most of the soldiers then had them in their helmets for communication and they stuck out a bit so they worked better, and Hawkwing was close enough in time that they had lost the ability to do it, but decorated them so they looked similar.

Eh, Hawking was like more than 2000 years after the Breaking, and is far closer to Randland times than to the Breaking itself. I don't know if I would call it 'close enough' in time.

I don't know if Mat ever mentions that the Seanchan armor/helmets are familiar or not from his memories. I always assumed their style was from the Seanchan continent.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'll be honest, I always thought of Seanchan as China and the armour as segmented like that and the drawl as the kind of drawl some Chinese English speakers hand and idea that it's a texan drawl is cracking me up, it's that really what was intended?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Cavelcade posted:

I'll be honest, I always thought of Seanchan as China and the armour as segmented like that and the drawl as the kind of drawl some Chinese English speakers hand and idea that it's a texan drawl is cracking me up, it's that really what was intended?

Yep.

From an interview done by letter: https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=116

quote:

Paul Ward
Possible question: Languages/accents?
Robert Jordan
Seanchan -> Texas accent. Two Rivers -> Irish/English accent. Illianers -> Dutch. Aiel -> somewhat Slavic. Tairen -> Spanish. Domani -> Indian. Saldaean -> Egyptian/North African.

Also noteworthy for this answer to who killed Asmodean:

quote:

Paul Ward
Possible question: Who killed Asmodean?
Robert Jordan
I really think that the best suggestion for the murderer of Asmodean was that it was Moiraine acting under Compulsion imposed by Bela. Of course, that is not the answer, but it is the best suggestion from a fan.
Paul Ward
I can't remember who suggested that. It's the best suggestion?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is absolutely the best suggestion. Bela is the protagonist, after all.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I will cry big wet tears if Bela is the horse Noal shows up on in the last book

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

The borderlands are in the North of Rand-Land, so my brain went to Northern Europe when the first guy we meet from there has piercing blue eyes, like how it went to Mediterranean for people from southern rand land. I imagined Saldeans as more of a swarthier, hawk nosed Russian/Eurasian ethnicity.

Brains can be weird, can't they? The first time I read through WoT, I imagined Lan as some sort of ranger, just a dude with a sword and a fancy cloak. But when I grew up, I learned more and more about India, and Malkier, with my brain "correcting" my image every time, until nowadays if I think "Lan", my brain supplies me with some super-strong Indian hero, straight out of the Ramayana.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Their single-edged cloth-wrapped long curved swords immediately put me in mind of samurai, so I pretty much always pictured him as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjsazHO0c0&t=155s

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Uhhh yeah that works for me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lan vs Demandred:

https://youtu.be/UkkF6Zz67TE

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

Uhhh yeah that works for me
:hai:

"Children shouldn't play with swords." is such a Lan line.

fake edit:
:hai:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Libluini posted:

Brains can be weird, can't they? The first time I read through WoT, I imagined Lan as some sort of ranger, just a dude with a sword and a fancy cloak. But when I grew up, I learned more and more about India, and Malkier, with my brain "correcting" my image every time, until nowadays if I think "Lan", my brain supplies me with some super-strong Indian hero, straight out of the Ramayana.
Even though I know Aiel are supposed to be red or light haired white people, who can tan, I kinda pictured them as Native American. Rhuarc was Wind In His Hair from Dances With Wolves https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002110/?ref_=tt_ch, but aged up a decade or 2.

And Couladin was Wes Studi. From Last of the Mohicans or Dances with Wolves.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Jordan's human world-building always seems to be "mash up 2 real cultures and change the race" except for where he doesn't even do that.

Also for Lan, I alwasy pictured him as a brick shithouse too, based on the descriptions of how muscular and solid he was.

Like Chris Evans Captain America sized maybe.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

During the Last Battle there was a line that went something like, "Rand looked through the door. The Dark One was right there." My immediate mental image when I read it was Melllvar the space gas from the Star Trek episode of Futurama coming through the door on the Enterprise set. Not only are they both creating imaginary worlds where they've achieved their goals, but he even does the CONSTANTLY SHOUTING VOICE.

Anyway, now my fan casting for the Dark One is Melllvar, chromakey'd to black or dark gray.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"Of course. The things we gave you." honestly that line still makes me a little emotional. I really hope they get that far into the show.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

"Of course. The things we gave you." honestly that line still makes me a little emotional. I really hope they get that far into the show.

That particular line hadn't stuck with me, so I didn't remember where it came from, and so I've now reread that (part of the) scene.

There is a sheet of glass where the second greatest city in the world once stood.

If they make it that far, if they are somehow able to do that whole sequence justice, it's going in some personal hall-of-fame of television.

Barely related: There's a line I've been thinking of recently from one of the later books, but I'm not sure which nor exactly what the phrasing was, which makes it a bit tricky to search through my ebooks. Nynaeve, I think, is thinking about Rand's personality and how he's changed since leaving Emond's Field. Everybody's been wondering if he's going mad, if somehow Lews Therin is pushing through, and he's capable of such rage that she'd never seen back home. And she realizes one explanation: It's not that Rand has changed. It's just that nothing in Emond's Field ever made him angry. Shearing sheep, climbing cliffs, and playing pranks with his friends is a pretty placid life.

Anybody remember which book it's in, or an exact turn of phrase I can use to search for it?

edit: Found it! It's Egwene, not Nynaeve.

The Gathering Storm, ch. 16: In the White Tower posted:

Rand was a problem she hadn’t allowed herself to dwell on—she needed to deal with one problem at a time. But there was also much to be said for planning ahead. If she didn’t consider how to deal with the Dragon Reborn, she’d eventually find herself in as bad a situation as Elaida.

He had changed from the man she had known. And yet the seeds of personality within him must be the same. She’d seen his rage during their months traveling together into the Aiel Waste. That hadn’t often come out during his childhood, but she could see now that it must have been lurking. It wasn’t that he had suddenly developed a temper; it was simply that nothing in the Two Rivers had upset him.

During the months she’d traveled with him, he’d seemed to harden with each step. He was under extraordinary pressures. How did one deal with such a man? She frankly had no idea.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 8, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was thinking about your post, trying to suss out when Nynaeve would have said that because I vaguely remembered a scene like that. She doesn't spend that much time with Rand after he became a ruler (which I'd say is when he claimed Callandor). She basically doesn't interact with him in Tear, their "reunion" in TAR during the Rahvin fight was too short for this scene to occur, and after that she doesn't meet him until he gets her to perform the Cleansing. So it's from Winter's Heart until basically The Gathering Storm, after which his anger issues... deflate. But a quick skimming of the books doesn't show anything like that.

Then I thought that maybe Egwene could have such a scene with Rand, and come back to the thread to share my insight, only to find out you already figured it out :downs:

It's a great little scene, thanks for finding it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if the ter'angreal dildo incident gets more than a passing mention in the show.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if the ter'angreal dildo incident gets more than a passing mention in the show.

Product placement for Dragon Dildos obviously. It's even on brand.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Torrannor posted:

Wait, what?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Here we go, might as well explain Garfield while you’re at it too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gwaihir posted:

Wait, what?

The Path of Daggers, Chapter 20 posted:

Careful as Elayne was, though, her attempts to study them [ter'angreal from the Kin's stash] did not go so well. Spirit was the safest of the Five Powers to use in this - unless, of course, Spirit happened to be what triggered the thing! - yet at times she had to use other flows, as fine as she could weave. Sometimes her delicate probing did nothing, [...]

And then there was the crimson rod that felt hot; hot, in a way.

Sitting on the edge of her bed at an inn called The Wild Boar, she examined the smooth rod by the light of two polished brass lamps. Wrist-thick and a foot long [I mean, really???],it looked like stone, but felt firm rather than hard. She was alone; [...], she had tried to do her studying away from the others. The heat of the rod made her think of Fire...

Blinking, she opened her eyes and sat up in the bed. Sunlight streamed in at the window. She was in her shift, and Nynaeve, fully dressed, stood frowning down at her. Aviendha and Birgitte were watching from beside the door.

"What happened?" Elayne demanded, and Nynaeve shook her head grimly. "You don't want to know." Her lips twitched.

Aviendha's face gave away nothing. Birgitte's mouth might have been a little tight, but the strongest emotion Elayne felt from her was a combination of relief and - hilarity! The woman was doing her utmost not to roll on the floor laughing!

The worst of it was, no one would tell her what happened. What she had said or done; she was sure it was that, by the quickly hidden grins she saw, from Kinswomen and Windfinders as well as sisters. But no one would tell her! After that, she decided to leave studying the ter'angreal to somewhere more comfortable than an inn. Somewhere definitely more private!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
lmao, I never connected those dots after that scene.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Wrist thick and a foot long?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

Wrist thick and a foot long?

Wait, yall didn't know that baddragon referred to rand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
pardon for jumping into this thread but re-reading the books again for the first time in awhile and it's really fuckin' weird to me that Jordan has this thing that women are powerful and competent and important in his world but at the same time the men/women dynamics and everything are so weirdly 50's conservative gender roles or whatever you want to call it. It's kind of giving me whiplash

I'm sure other people have broken it down far more thoroughly than me but all in all is weird to me