Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That photo was probably late 90s? maybe 2000?

half of them are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

pentyne posted:

half of them are dead.

Jesus, this is actually 100% accurate... :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

That photo was probably late 90s? maybe 2000?

half of them are dead.

That was my first thought too. :smith:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
If you include Nurse Chapel with the Enterprise bridge crew from TOS, 50% of them are still alive and there’s a 27 year gap between the series.

Compare with Next Generation: the main cast are all still alive, unless you include Majel Barrett as the computer and Doctor Pulaski.
Deep Space Nine has lost only two (unless you again count Barrett).

It’s a loving tragedy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

I like that the two non-American cast members are flicking the Vs rather than giving the middle finger. It's a sign that it wasn't just a staged photo op.

It breaks my brain every time I am reminded that Katsulas and Jurasik are from St. Louis and Queens respectively.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Narsham posted:

Doctor Pulaski.

I almost had a heart attack.
Diana Muldaur is okay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narsham posted:

If you include Nurse Chapel with the Enterprise bridge crew from TOS, 50% of them are still alive and there’s a 27 year gap between the series.

Compare with Next Generation: the main cast are all still alive, unless you include Majel Barrett as the computer and Doctor Pulaski.
Deep Space Nine has lost only two (unless you again count Barrett).

It’s a loving tragedy.

If Majel Barrett hadn't also appeared on B5 it might be even worse.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Two observations.

1) Londo would definitely be the one to double it up.

2) Marcus would definitely be too big of a dork to flip anything at all.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kibayasu posted:

Two observations.

1) Londo would definitely be the one to double it up.

2) Marcus would definitely be too big of a dork to flip anything at all.

And Mira Furlan looks so drat serious about it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Erulisse posted:

I almost had a heart attack.
Diana Muldaur is okay.

Sorry, that was my mistake.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

CaptainPsyko posted:

It breaks my brain every time I am reminded that Katsulas and Jurasik are from St. Louis and Queens respectively.

Why is that surprising. Hearing Jurasik is from Queens is the least surprising fact I have learned today, and I'm from Queens.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blindeye posted:

Why is that surprising. Hearing Jurasik is from Queens is the least surprising fact I have learned today, and I'm from Queens.

For some reason 20 years ago I mentally told myself that all the ambassadors were Eastern European actors who worked cheaper or something (Whereas this is only actually true of Mira), and no matter how often I am told otherwise, the notion remains primed on my brain until I am reminded otherwise.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Same, and anytime I heard him speak normally I just assumed that was an accent.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I too was pretty surprised that wasn’t his real accent once upon a time. I figured he already talked like that and they asked him to just ham it up.

Nope. :haw:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

As I recall, at least for the pilot they kept telling him not to do the accent, and he'd ostensibly give in but then do it anyway when the cameras were rolling.

Objectively the correct choice, as it turns out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Goblin Craft posted:

As I recall, at least for the pilot they kept telling him not to do the accent, and he'd ostensibly give in but then do it anyway when the cameras were rolling.

Awesome.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Goblin Craft posted:

I always remember it as him saying (I think this was how JMS put it?): "VHAT AKSENT?!" every time they asked him to stop.

The story of why he decided to have an accent:

quote:

IGNFF: In reading for the character, was the accent your idea, or was that written on the page?

JURASIK: It actually wasn't written on the page. I called the casting director, who I knew – Mary Jo Slater – and said, "Would you ask the writer what this guy is to sound like – he's an alien." The message was given back to me, "You make him sound any way you want." So, I just imposed that on him. The story I always tell in conventions, which is true, is I had just finished a play in Los Angeles, a Tennessee Williams play, and I had gotten bad reviews for a Memphis accent that I did. And I had worked really hard on this Memphis accent, and I had it nailed perfectly and people from Memphis said to me, "Wow, you sound like you grew up next door to me." Then some dumb rear end reviewer said, "That's not a very good Memphis accent."

IGNFF: From L.A.

JURASIK: Yeah, from L.A. He wouldn't know a Memphis accent anyway. But being the insecure actor that I am, I took that hard. You take stuff like that, when it's in the L.A. Times, it hurts you anyway ... When I got Babylon, I realized this is a great opportunity for me. I will be the first Centauri, and I can make him talk anyway he wants, and no reviewer will ever be able to say, "That's not what a Centauri sounds like. What a terrible Centauri accent he's doing." Because I'm the first Centauri, so I make him talk any way I want. So, I made the accent up, a kind of amalgam of a number of different accents. I used a little of my Slovak grandmother, and I mentioned Ireland – I love the rhythms of Irish. So I mixed it up and made it my own.
From this great interview: https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/11/18/an-interview-with-peter-jurasik

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha that rules god drat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vavrek posted:

I always remember it as him saying (I think this was how JMS put it?): "VHAT AKSENT?!" every time they asked him to stop.

The story of why he decided to have an accent:

From this great interview: https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/11/18/an-interview-with-peter-jurasik

That's a very pro click

quote:

Two days after I left the seminary I was in a summer theater in New Hampshire. Talk about culture shock. I went from vespers and early to rise, early to bed and prayer sessions, to pot, theater, staying up late and, you know...

IGNFF: Sleeping in late...

JURASIK: You got it. With any number of people. So, that was a great education, too. Very intense first summer out, to be 18 years old and never having gone on a date, never having smoked a cigarette, never had a drink, even a sip of beer, never kissed a girl, all of those things. 

I can hear this in londos accent posted:

I didn't own a suit, I had two badly used cars – both that broke down on the highway that I had to leave behind, like a broken goat on the side of the road.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 1, 2021

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
My favourite Jurasik story was that at the beginning of one season where he needed to get back into the Londo mindset, he would just shout out ‘MISTER GariBALdi!’, and -bam- he’d be Londo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ha, didn't realize we share a birthday. That's fun. :toot:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Surely there was an rpg or card game that could answer these questions.

No stats, but a lot of text.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zaroff posted:

My favourite Jurasik story was that at the beginning of one season where he needed to get back into the Londo mindset, he would just shout out ‘MISTER GariBALdi!’, and -bam- he’d be Londo.

Lol yeah, I heard that one too. My roommate used to yell that out at random just for a laugh of an evening.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Zaroff posted:

On the whole accent thing, this was filmed last year, and drat if he doesn't sound nearly the same. Listening to him go from his accent to his normal voice breaks my brain.

And the little "Mr garibaldi" made me smile.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=225609175075073&_rdr

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

adhuin posted:

No stats, but a lot of text.

Been over this!!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Times I've cried so far:

-The Valen reveal
-Season 4 finale when he takes out the ranger uniform
-First time seeing the season 5 opening with "and so it begins" in 20 years. I remembered the music well, but I was not prepared for the voiceovers and recap of the last four seasons.

I have only the last two episodes of season 5 left to watch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I always cry during the finale, can't help it. That sunrise scene :cry:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I was more saddened by the empty Zocalo.

SnagglePuss
Aug 24, 2004
Heavens to Murgatroid!

Jedit posted:

I was more saddened by the empty Zocalo.

For me, it's the station demolition (anytime I hear that piece of music it breaks me), the Sheridan/Delenn goodbye, and Ivanova's monologue at the end. Those three moments, every time, no exceptions.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Oh, God. There was the first time (watching "live," as it were) where the crying got amplified by knowing the show was over. Now, it's the anticipation. I start bawling as the music starts to kick in, and always before whatever the actual trigger ought to be.

Of course, for the sunrise scene, I'm already destroyed by the "even for people like us line," and then there's the pan to Delenn sitting on the bench, and the music swells under Ivanova's voice-over... and I cry enough that my nose keeps running for the rest of the day.

drat it, I even tear up at the shot of Zack and Vir talking...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Narsham posted:

Oh, God. There was the first time (watching "live," as it were) where the crying got amplified by knowing the show was over. Now, it's the anticipation. I start bawling as the music starts to kick in, and always before whatever the actual trigger ought to be.

Of course, for the sunrise scene, I'm already destroyed by the "even for people like us line," and then there's the pan to Delenn sitting on the bench, and the music swells under Ivanova's voice-over... and I cry enough that my nose keeps running for the rest of the day.

drat it, I even tear up at the shot of Zack and Vir talking...

Yeah. The waterworks start about halfway through Objects at Rest and don't stop until after the finale.

Nerds love to gripe about finales, but B5 is pure in a way that even TNG isn't.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

All Good Things is good. Real good. But still, agreed.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Got up to Divided Loyalties in my rewatch and gently caress I don't know if I forgot how distressingly queerbaity it is or if I was just so repressed and used to wlw invisibility that it didn't register at all the first time around :shepface:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Got up to Divided Loyalties in my rewatch and gently caress I don't know if I forgot how distressingly queerbaity it is or if I was just so repressed and used to wlw invisibility that it didn't register at all the first time around :shepface:

Susan and Talia straight up banging.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up."

:cry:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pentyne posted:

half of them are dead.

:smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how G'kar may be a very spiritual person, but he had to sit out the religion episode in season 1 because he was busy dodging an assassin from an old political rival. Really encapsulates how bogged down in violence and feuds he was.

Also Na'toth shows up to replace Ko'dath after she gets hit by an offscreen accident in the same episode Catherine Sakai is having her relationship with Sinclair established but will never have a payoff. Everyone's replaceable.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 20, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They were planning on doing a lot more with Sakai at that point.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Catherine's arc was an unfortunate casualty of Michael O'Hare having to leave the show, but it's easy to see how it would have gone because Anna Sheridan's story was pretty obviously its substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Catherine's arc was an unfortunate casualty of Michael O'Hare having to leave the show, but it's easy to see how it would have gone because Anna Sheridan's story was pretty obviously its substitute.

Plus the canon version of what happened to her is better anyway.