Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dejan Bimble posted:

You guys are right about the pains of having a bunch of maxes on the cap. The rest of the roster can become loving horrible when you can't at least spread one max spot to several guys

That's a 'fundamental skill' but not what he means by 'fundamentals.' He's talking about the footwork and sort of rote way of seeing which spot or guy you need to occupy and doing that without hesitation

I do think it's quite a bit harder to box out when teams are asking for complex shading and rotations from pretty much every defender in a way that didn't really happen before the late 2000s. It's kind of a known quantity that playing zone comes with problems boxing out and when your base defense incorporates a lot of zone principles, it's going to affect defensive rebounding. It's probably not as huge as it could be though because modern basketball analytics is against crashing the offensive boards, though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I felt like I'd noticed a pattern of usage, so I had a squiz at some of the previous threads and well

Now some people might ask why it only goes back to May 2019, and the answer is that a forum search revealed usage of the emote as far back as the 16/17 season, and I didn't really feel like tracking back that far, and I felt like 2 years of data was sufficient. This is probs imperfect in terms of percentages in particular because I had to go by forum timestamps which are probably in my timezone.

Also I feel silly now for not simply asking Zogo to get me the data, it probably would've been much more reliable. Of note, admirable restraint shown in Nov-Dec 19, some extremely strong playoff posting in May 19, and another show of restraint in Jun 20.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

0 turnovers too

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

I felt like I'd noticed a pattern of usage, so I had a squiz at some of the previous threads and well

Now some people might ask why it only goes back to May 2019, and the answer is that a forum search revealed usage of the emote as far back as the 16/17 season, and I didn't really feel like tracking back that far, and I felt like 2 years of data was sufficient. This is probs imperfect in terms of percentages in particular because I had to go by forum timestamps which are probably in my timezone.

Also I feel silly now for not simply asking Zogo to get me the data, it probably would've been much more reliable. Of note, admirable restraint shown in Nov-Dec 19, some extremely strong playoff posting in May 19, and another show of restraint in Jun 20.

Thank you for this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/sreekyshooter/status/1388335710474625025
https://twitter.com/protectedpick/status/1388334560685953026
https://twitter.com/BallySportSAZ/status/1388338748107235329

lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

I know the jazz were shorthanded but good lord am I getting emotional just being adjacent to the 1 seed

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My post from meet the team 2020/21:

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Welcome 2 the Valley, these are your undefeated Bubble Boyz

- Chris Paul: dickpuncher. Hate this guy. He’s an upgrade on Rubio for sure and will almost definitely be an excellent fit for Booker and Ayton. There’s a good chance he plays less games then Rubio would have, leading me to the second thing I don’t like about this signing.

- Cam Payne: actually played pretty well in the bubble! As a bench guy he fits in well. Can shoot and score. Ugly as gently caress. The idea of him seeing starting minutes to get CP3 rest is deeply concerning.

- Cam Johnson: everybody thought cam was overdrafted but he played well in the role which he was drafted for. Shoots well, defends well. He played well in the bubble but will probably see less minutes this season due to other signings.

- Deandre Ayton: gently caress man. Why didn’t we take doncic. Ayton has been good and will probably look better with Chris Paul lobbing to him. He was starting to show off a 3 point shot in the bubble and has developed a lot faster on defense than expected. Hopefully he can avoid pissing hot this year or catching covid or some poo poo.

- Dario Saric: has been a bit overmatched as a starter but came off the bench in the bubble and played great. He’s probably gonna be in that role again because we signed the next guy.

- Jae Crowder: played awesome in the bubble, probably not sustainable at all. I love that he wanted to come here but don’t love the signing. Good chance he takes playing time away from Cameron johnson which I’m not thrilled about.

- Mikal Bridges: this guy fuckin rules. Suns homers overrate him but he showed out in the bubble. Great defender, has improved as a shooter.

- Book: Wet. Will the Kardashian Kurse ruin him? This is the only way he won’t continue to get better and better.

- Jevon Carter: this guy also rules. Great energy off the bench. Barely plays because Booker barely comes off the floor but he’s a solid heat check dude for the eight or so minutes he might get.

- Langston Galloway: I know nothing about this guy except that he has consistently beautiful custom shoes.

- Jalen Smith: for the second year in a row the Suns first round pick is roundly mocked as an overdraft. I am predisposed to like him because he played for the terps.

The rest of the guys are whatever. Let’s move on

In Memoriam
- Kelly Oubre: Too hot for the valley. Kelly was good while he was here but signed a weird two year contract and got traded for CP3. He didn’t play at all in the bubble after a knee injury before the season shut down, maybe if he’d played he would still be here? But they were fine without him clearly. Kelly is too hot to play with the unstylish morons in Oakland. Sorry Papi

- Ricky Rubio: mocked as an overpay, which he probably was, but Ricky was the most competent PG book has played with which is saying a lot. CP3 is an upgrade on him in every way but the two that matter. Attractiveness and whatever other reason I forgot. Sans Fans love you Ricky.

- Aron Baynes: Splash Volcano went on a tear while Ayton was suspended and then got worn down. Didn’t play in the bubble, will miss him if Ayton fucks up again. His wife is hot

Coach is Monty Williams. Chris Paul likes him, everybody likes Monty. I have no complaints about Monty, he isn’t Igor Or Ear Watson so he’s good in my book

This team should be good, but it’s unclear what their ceiling is in the west. They should at bare minimum be in the hunt for the play in but I think expectations will be a bit higher than that. I have them pegged at a seven seed maybe? The lakers nuggets jazz blazers Mavericks and clippers are probably all higher seeds at the end of the day. Unclear how good Houston Memphis and Sacramento will be. Guess I could see Denver sliding a bit and the fraudulent clippers suck rear end

Looks like that shoulder needs some load management kawhi

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

!!! https://twitter.com/memgrizz/status/1388298958171254784

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/protectedpick/status/1388335258924290048

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Gonna tell my kids this was the Zapruder film

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

What killed me about it is that his hands are up, he's asking for the ball, and he just stares at it like a dumb puppy as it smashes him in the face

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Airbud woulda caught that tho

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Airbud woulda caught that tho

Airbud woulda bounced it perfectly into da hoop

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thrilla in vanilla posted:

My post from meet the team 2020/21:

Something something never happier to be wrong I'm guessing?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lakers are a trash team

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1388348167716884480?s=20

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is NSFW holy poo poo

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

If paul george had gone with bball paul instead of playoff p everyone would love him

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

EmotionlessThug posted:

If paul george had gone with bball paul instead of playoff p everyone would love him

nah announcing nicknames for yourself is a megs buster move,

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Chairchucker posted:

:cheers:

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Chairchucker posted:

Need as a %age of posts or words used in total to be sure it doesn't just reflect total posting volume.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I’m trying so hard to temper expectations. I know the Suns keep playing teams that don’t have all their guys. But god drat, this team is sick. Can’t wait for the playoffs.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I’m trying so hard to temper expectations. I know the Suns keep playing teams that don’t have all their guys. But god drat, this team is sick. Can’t wait for the playoffs.

Nah man, just enjoy it. They are a drat good team. Ride the snake!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I guess they are technically big, and technically a duo

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Suns are cool and good and would be the most likable team to come out of the west imo (despite Chris Paul)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

WhyteRyce posted:

Lakers are a trash team

Need another week or so of trash to push for an LA/LA first round matchup

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

When your team has been bad for so long, you are allowed to go gorillas when they’re good. Enjoy it!!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
oh no gobert forced him to take a difficult step back jumper that he still recovered to contest, truly terrible defense

rudy barely played and the only healthy ball handler left is clarkson, not really surprising they got smoked by a really good team that was at full strength

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

paul reed is the best basketball player i've ever seen. much like embiid, i lost my mind when this happened. the leap from the bench in the background of this clip lol:
https://twitter.com/LandesBrock/status/1388303741649137668?s=20
also, if there's an atlanta-philly playoff series, we are practically guaranteed a brawl between shake milton and kris dunn by the end of game 2 - not sure what the deal is there. double technical last night after the dunn tech on wednesday

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It’s May. Time for a new thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This was fun last night

I’m back on the Simmons train

https://twitter.com/jackfrank_jjf/status/1388284532344774662?s=21

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
wtf is that little shuffle booker does lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

This was fun last night

I’m back on the Simmons train

so many highlights, even dwight was in double figures on dunks alone i think. let's finish off the nbapril thread with some more sixers defensive highlights that no one can get enough of
https://twitter.com/sixers/status/1388284604839305220?s=20
https://twitter.com/sixers/status/1388300494859276290?s=20

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Finally some real content

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/KindaHagi/status/1388347509186207744?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966595 may thread to appease the hockeymod