Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gonna drop this here again (sorry) but quoted .mp4's break tables on my OG iPhone SE which kills left/right swiping for that page of a thread unless I pinch zoom out. I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I guess it's just me but I've been told it's being looked into three times now and I'm wondering if it's a tricky thing to solve or something or just not worth it since it is only me apparently. :haw: But either way I'm kind of curious as to what it would take to fix so I can shut up about it, and if it's not worth fixing I'll just settle into not comfortably using Awful one-handed until I buy a new phone (which I should, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I started looking at it but couldn’t get an old SE simulator set up, and then...I forgot. Off work for a few this week but without a Mac until the new one arrives, so I’m not sure

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I started looking at it but couldn’t get an old SE simulator set up, and then...I forgot. Off work for a few this week but without a Mac until the new one arrives, so I’m not sure

Ah, fair enough. I forget it myself until I hit a thread with a lot of videos and can tell they're being quoted by the wobble as I scroll.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

carry on then posted:

It'll take a complete rewrite of the lepers colony to get those working. I keep waiting for someone to break the leper's colony on the site by embedding an entire webapp in a ban reason or something.

Mods, I’ll take the best comedy 6er of all time bullet if you’d be so kind.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

spanky the dolphin posted:

Here's an idea I just had, no idea of the implementation or if it's possible.

What if you could look through your awful image cache - like it'd present a grid of the jpegs and gifs (excluding avatars) stored on your device. I often think of an image I saw in the app that I want to share later but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I was imagining an interface like in the messages app when you hit the info button on a contact.

Haha I had exactly this idea while playing with cache and making all images cached using Nuke. I really need to finish that and submit it

I think it’s definitely possible and a good idea. Also having the imageviewer swipe left & right to see all images on the current page. Maybe with the post as a dismissible overlay, like Twitter

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stare-Out posted:

Ah, fair enough. I forget it myself until I hit a thread with a lot of videos and can tell they're being quoted by the wobble as I scroll.

If someone has a recent example we can look at the CSS

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, at least as far as I'm concerned, this is the issue

- Awful renders a youtu.be link in [ url] tags as a video, whereas on desktop it's just a link
- If you paste a raw youtu.be link in Awful, it translates to a [ url] link, not a [ video] tag

The combination of these two things leads to an Awful user thinking they made a working video embed, but if it's viewed on desktop it shows as just a link, and the poster has no idea. I'm not sure what the solution should be, maybe make Awful render a pasted youtu.be URL as a [ video] instead of a [ url]?

Got it, that's an annoying disconnect. I'll add it to the list!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is there a way to follow a link to the SAclopedia in a thread without then having to login in a browser window? If not, that would be a very useful addition.

Not at the moment, though it's on the list so I'll +1 it there. Someday!

quote:

Thank you, I use your app all the time!

Also, is there a way to donate something to y’all that built and work on the app? I’d love to buy y’all a drink or something in thanks.

You're welcome! And the offer's appreciated, but I have no idea how to split it up among the people who work on it. Feel free to donate to your local food bank in Awful's name :)

Hey here’s an idea: on double tap, what if the post that scrolls up shifts a little bit more (the height of the avatar section) this would allow you to continuously double tap in the same spot on the bottom to the right of the user name.

This much:

Makes sense to me! I'll add it to the list.

commie kong posted:

I’m also trying to prevent the text selection that occurs when long pressing images, which forces you to dismiss the little “Copy | Look up | Share” menu that appears.

Ooh nice. I remember that being finicky, so I wasn't surprised that it broke, but it is annoying.

Keith Atherton posted:

Anyone else having problems pasting a photo from the Photos app? I get the usual tap >[img]>Pasre and can paste the photo. But posting just gives me an endless “Posting” animation

iPhone SE 2020, latest iOS and app version

Edit: OK, works if I go tap >[img]>From Library and select the image there

I'll add it to the list. I do want images to Just Work, so I'm always happy to hear about issues. But totally makes sense to use the "upload to Imgur" shortcut or other means while Awful's flaky.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for the love of god please have spoiler tags also break tweet embedding on the app

On the list it goes!

Sounds like scraping fun. I'll take a look.

Kitfox88 posted:

The text of the post, basically the stuff that shows up when you quote it minus the formatting elements.

Got it! I'll add it to the list.

Warbird posted:

Minor feature request/bug fix: Could we disable auto formatting of URLs when inside a code block?

I *think* this is just how the Forums works by default? Unless it's changed relatively recently. Though the Forums does also let you turn off "automatically parse URLs". I also have a vague dream of doing our own URL parsing app-side, instead of relying on the Forums, because then we can handle things like code blocks and not considering the parentheses in wikipedia article links part of the URL.

tl;dr I'll add it to the list :)

MarcusSA posted:

Save draft is cool and all but if you go back a page it clears out the saved draft.

Oops. I'll take a look.

shortspecialbus posted:

Not sure if this has been asked before. A lot of time if I close my ipad pro 11, carry it somewhere else in the house, and open it back up, Awful will be zoomed in and/or scrolled up about 1/5 of a page from where I was. It won't have reloaded when this happens, like when its thrown out of memory and you lose the scrollbar. It zooms in a reasonable amount when this happens, usually, but not a huge amount, like maybe it zooms in to the point where it cuts off 1/4 of the right side of the page for example. And the amount it scrolls up isn't fixed as far as I can tell, but on average about 1/5 of a page, maybe a bit further if I was at the bottom of the page.

Does that happen to anyone else? It doesn't happen to me all the time, but often enough that I've noticed it.

This has been an issue in the past, though it sounds a bit different here. I'll add it to the list.

Boring technical musing: I wonder if it's related to how iOS will resize the app and take screenshots when it goes to the background (so it'll show up nicely in the app switcher even if you rotate your device). In theory we should be maintaining the scroll position as that happens, but sounds like it's not perfect.

carry on then posted:

When I added it the message actually worked, but I am not an Apple platform developer so I couldn't figure out why it broke later

There's more and more places where cached data could end up now, and I'm also not 100% sure we did it right the first time because the documentation is incredibly sparse :shrug:

kimbo305 posted:

If the first post of the next page is from an ignored user, pulling up at the bottom of the current page doesn't advance it like it normally does.

Woah, that's odd. Ignored posts are a minefield. I'll add it to the list!

ZeeBoi posted:

Will duplicated emoticons ever be fixed? I swear this has been an issue since forever.

Someday! I would say my current level of Awful commitment is "low", so while I started on a prototype of new smilie picker stuff awhile back, it is nowhere near usable. I'll +1 it on the list.

Midjack posted:

Reg date under the username of the op in some but not all threads in fyad doesn’t display. I don’t go there much but I haven’t noticed it happening anywhere else.

links are :nws: since fyad flags have displayed nasty stuff in the past:

Does not display:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960607&perpage=40&noseen=1

Does display:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896243&perpage=40&noseen=1

I haven't looked into this specifically (it's now on the list though), but in general Awful will remember the regdate of anyone you see. So if you've only ever encountered a user in a regdate-free thread, Awful never learns it, but if you've seen them elsewhere, Awful adds it.

I'd never noticed that some forums have regdates turned off, that's definitely something we should observe.

carry on then posted:

Ah okay, turns out our view's validation code wasn't even firing, probably due to a change in iOS over the years. Nobody should have been able to even submit if it was over 60, but they were, and we were truncating. I got the validation working again, I'll set everything to 960 then.

For what it's worth, I may have been intentionally ignoring errors when reporting a post because App Review was giving me grief and I was tired. Which is not to say it shouldn't be fixed :)

Midjack posted:

Still more on this one, I hope I don't sound like I'm harping but I keep discovering more about it that hopefully helps you find the bug. The ignored user's post just has to be read anywhere on the page, not just the last post. Also, when going back the hyphen in the thread name did something weird. The first image is before reading the "SecFuck M/T v18.6 - cat5e doctrine "thread third from top:

Here it is displaying as "cat5e doctrine - The Something Awful Forums" after reading an ignored user's post and returning to the bookmarks.

Not harping at all, it's much appreciated. And even without the investigation, totally ok to bump annoying issues. I've add this to the issue on the list :)

commie kong posted:

Nah, it does prompt for permission the first time you save images from posts. You're right tho, I don't see any explicit requests or checks for permission except for the Imgur stuff. We have a plist entry for it... Maybe that's enough?

I added a check in the Save Video thing I did earlier because I'm currently doing Noob101 training :v:

I recently finished reading the project.log thread. Makes me sad I missed the heyday of development interest, but it was cool to see everything take shape. Spanky's throbbers and icons are defining and I've always admired them :)

The best has yet to come!!

Okay not sure how much I believe that. I forget how far back the project.log thread goes, but yeah not having a job a few years ago was a big leg up to my Awful dev time, including doing stupid things like making an HTML parser. Now it tends to feel like I'm doing my day job on the weekends, and sometimes I'm up for it and other times I take a break for a month (welp).

I still look at these icons every day and think of things I could potentially change but they're such small tweaks I'd need a good reason to commit to doing them. That said, thanks!

The main outstanding development for Awful in my view is still the way the menu overlays pop up. Rather than hovering in the bubbles they'd work much better in a bottom of screen list with icons. I can't code though so all I can offer is another nag post. I'd probs look at tweaking icons once they were in this new context too.

Also, if anyone ever has ideas for new Awful home screen icons I'd be happy to give em a go.

Proper menus would be great. I also wanna try the iOS 13-style menus, might as well use what the operating system gives us.

carry on then posted:

I need to look into using standard context menus, we'd probably have less jank that way

Yeah this. Still need something for pre-iOS 13 (though honestly I'm fine if they're stuck with the janky version).

commie kong posted:

I did a Mac Catalyst build for fun. Wonder how pokeyman would feel about supporting an entire new range of devices? :v:

P.S. Midjack, I’m sorry. I was testing your issue and yep, it exists. Couldn't find an "unignore" option in the app haha

I've gone partway down this path a couple times, and each time I got discouraged at how much work it'd take to make it feel anything like a proper Mac app. And if it doesn't feel at home on the Mac, it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement over the website.

But that's just where my own desire falls down, I'm all for the idea if someone else does it :D

Also this

MarcusSA posted:

I already use the app on my M1 Mac and it’s great.
only decreases my desire to do anything less than a good job on a proper Mac app. I realize there's not a ton of M1 Macs around yet, but on the scale of typical Awful feature timelines, everyone's likely to have M1s by the time a proper Mac app comes about.

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Bug report

Mostly only seems to happen on fast threads.
1. Go to the last page of the thread, where a post quotes another post on the last page
2. Tap on the "xyz posted:" or subforum equivalent at the top of the quote

Expected: scroll to post or push another VC pre-scrolled to the post
Observed: if there has been a new post added to the current (last) page, the user will see the new posts instead of the desired one

I will +1 this on the list!

boop the snoot posted:

Small request: add [timg] as an option when posting images.

+1 to this too. Awful will automatically [timg] images over a certain size (with a setting to turn that off), but a proper menu option would make sense.

Kerbtree posted:

Yes, sorry, I’m a pro smeller today. Would it be possible to have ignore be a toggle or something?

I'll +1 it on the list.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I got a weird one: my apostrophes are disappearing. They’ll show up fine in the reply and preview windows and I can see other people’s apostrophes, but mine are nowhere to be found.

E: working now apparently? It didn’t work in another thread about five minutes ago. Weird

This has been a bug for awhile and I really don't know what's causing it. It seems to be related to iOS's autocorrect settings, so maybe Awful is doing something bad there. But it happens to me too (most recently with an ellipsis, hadn't seen that before) and I'm not sure what's going on. Could also be Awful mucking up the encoding when submitting the post? Though that doesn't explain why it's intermittent. Anyway, +1 on the list!

NFX posted:

Do you have "smart punctuation" enables in the keyboard settings? That'll convert " and ' into some fancier equivalents which just end up looking dumb, especially in yospos. I think it got so bad that the forums software or the app started filtering/converting them?

It's unintentional in Awful at least, not sure about the Forums proper but I think it's a bug on Awful's end.

mrfart posted:

I got auto-banned last week for posting a thread using a mod only tag.
Pretty loving dumb thing to do of me, I know.
Thankfully, Jeffrey took pity on me and un-banned me.

In my defense, when you post on the site, the left column always mentions the forbidden demon fruit tags.
The iOS app doesn't have a left column and I hosed up.
Or maybe it does have something similar and I didn't notice.

This has been the most traumatic experience of my life;

Thanks for reading.

I am sorry for your loss, and I will +1 this bug on my list!

Here's an idea I just had, no idea of the implementation or if it's possible.

What if you could look through your awful image cache - like it'd present a grid of the jpegs and gifs (excluding avatars) stored on your device. I often think of an image I saw in the app that I want to share later but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I was imagining an interface like in the messages app when you hit the info button on a contact.

That's a great idea! On the list it goes. I think the implementation would take a lot of work, but it's work that would go towards a bunch of other features too, so it's something I'd like to do someday.

(Currently, images are cached wherever iOS caches web stuff, and we don't have an obvious way to enumerate all the images or even pull the data back out. But that's a poor excuse not to get incrementally closer to reimplementing an entire web browser!)

Stare-Out posted:

Gonna drop this here again (sorry) but quoted .mp4's break tables on my OG iPhone SE which kills left/right swiping for that page of a thread unless I pinch zoom out. I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I guess it's just me but I've been told it's being looked into three times now and I'm wondering if it's a tricky thing to solve or something or just not worth it since it is only me apparently. :haw: But either way I'm kind of curious as to what it would take to fix so I can shut up about it, and if it's not worth fixing I'll just settle into not comfortably using Awful one-handed until I buy a new phone (which I should, really).

No apology necessary! It's probably not at all tricky to fix, I just need to actually take a look. It'll most likely be a quick CSS fix, if you have any CSS abilities and want to give it a shot :)

carry on then posted:

If someone has a recent example we can look at the CSS

There's an old one on the issue in the repo, if that helps.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

E: apologies if this is a known issue.

On the app, twitter embeds are not honoring :nws: and spoiler tags. Opening the thread in safari does not result in the same behavior. For example, look in the joe biden thread in c-spam. One poster posts the daily updates from some twitterer about how biden will “nut” divide us.

When browsing on desktop or mobile safari, I can easily and gladly scroll past those without having to look at some dude’s doll in a grode jar. On the app, though, the embed dutifully loads the loads, and I’d rather not see them.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 29, 2021

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

carry on then posted:

pokeyman will have to answer because I'm too much of an idiot at Core Data to think of it as anything other than a ball of data, but I don't recall seeing images stored directly so my money's on it being a larger-ish feature. Not really any helpful, sorry, but maybe this will get someone's gears turning...

This is an accurate understanding of core data

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Weird little bug

Every month a new thread is opened and the old one closed in TFF for News/Views. So today the March thread was closed and a link to the new thread was in the last post. I go to the new thread from that link, read all the posts, tap to Add it to Bookmarks from within the thread. Thread shows up in Bookmarks but the unread posts number doesn’t show (expect to see the “0”)

Latest iOS, iPhone SE 2, latest Awful version

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Weird little bug

Every month a new thread is opened and the old one closed in TFF for News/Views. So today the March thread was closed and a link to the new thread was in the last post. I go to the new thread from that link, read all the posts, tap to Add it to Bookmarks from within the thread. Thread shows up in Bookmarks but the unread posts number doesn’t show (expect to see the “0”)

Latest iOS, iPhone SE 2, latest Awful version

I think this was intentional. Adding “&noseen=1” to any thread url will let you view the linked page without updating your “last read” position for that thread. Both the forums and the app started automatically adding that in some situations within the last year.

It makes sense in some situations. Like, when you’re in the Leper’s Colony, you have no idea what thread any link will take you to until you click it, so there’s a risk you’ll lose your place if the link doesn’t have that parameter. I’m not sure it makes sense to include it in the case you pointed out, but it’s probably impossible to come up with rules for when to apply it that make sense in every situation.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Diabolik900 posted:

I think this was intentional. Adding “&noseen=1” to any thread url will let you view the linked page without updating your “last read” position for that thread. Both the forums and the app started automatically adding that in some situations within the last year.

It makes sense in some situations. Like, when you’re in the Leper’s Colony, you have no idea what thread any link will take you to until you click it, so there’s a risk you’ll lose your place if the link doesn’t have that parameter. I’m not sure it makes sense to include it in the case you pointed out, but it’s probably impossible to come up with rules for when to apply it that make sense in every situation.

If you click a link to a post in a thread you’ve never visited that thread will get the unread number after that page. Which is basically the same thing? Maybe bookmarked threads are handled differently

This isn’t a big deal just think it’s interesting!

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 2, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dunno if this is even in your hands, but i got a cool bug just now

I had jumped from a thread in bookmarks to its parent forum, then when i went back to the list of forums it had this smeared over them

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The forums themselves do wikipedia links fine now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavetown_(musician) :colbert:

Make them not auto-parse inside code blocks would be good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh I had brought that up earlier, PM addressed it a couple of posts back. Copy pasting because editing down the quote would take an age on my phone:

I *think* this is just how the Forums works by default? Unless it's changed relatively recently. Though the Forums does also let you turn off "automatically parse URLs". I also have a vague dream of doing our own URL parsing app-side, instead of relying on the Forums, because then we can handle things like code blocks and not considering the parentheses in wikipedia article links part of the URL.

tl;dr I'll add it to the list

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Just noticing an annoying feature in the latest update: sharing an image from the meme thread now shares a link to the image on imgur now, rather than just sending the funny picture to the recipient.

I know it’s still possible to copy the image and paste it into Messages or wherever, but the share sheet was a lot more convenient for bombarding my family with memes. Is there any way to reverse the change? Or is it some bullshit imgur has pulled?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just noticing an annoying feature in the latest update: sharing an image from the meme thread now shares a link to the image on imgur now, rather than just sending the funny picture to the recipient.

I know it’s still possible to copy the image and paste it into Messages or wherever, but the share sheet was a lot more convenient for bombarding my family with memes. Is there any way to reverse the change? Or is it some bullshit imgur has pulled?

Can you link to a post with an image that does this?

Also, are you saying that you copy images without entering the image viewer pop up and using the bottom right icon that brings up Copy URL and Copy Image options?

Or are you selecting a different option to send a selected image to another app?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

commie kong posted:

Can you link to a post with an image that does this?

Also, are you saying that you copy images without entering the image viewer pop up and using the bottom right icon that brings up Copy URL and Copy Image options?

Or are you selecting a different option to send a selected image to another app?

Here’s a post where I replicated the issue:

I open the image with the viewer pop up, use the bottom right icon and usually share with the share sheet straight to Messages or FB Messenger (clicking the app icon or contact shortcut, not going copy image). Before the update, Awful would just output the funny image. Now it posts both the image and a link to it on Imgur.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Awesome, thanks. Will look into it!

Unfortunately, not much you can do unless you join beta (pm Pokeyman an email address to see if he can add you) and install a previous build (5.5) using TestFlight, which is the beta app manager.

Even if it gets fixed quickly, the change has to go through beta and then App Store approval.

But if you join beta you’ll be able to help test the fix :)

E: fwiw I replicated the issue by switching builds in TestFlight

commie kong fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 8, 2021

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Anybody else having trouble seeing embedded tweets? It’s just text now for me - no pics or framing box etc around them. (IOS user)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Viruswithshoes posted:

Anybody else having trouble seeing embedded tweets? It’s just text now for me - no pics or framing box etc around them. (IOS user)

Maybe

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910071&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=71#post513824895

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Viruswithshoes posted:

It's almost always Twitter loving up when this happens.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Midjack posted:

It's almost always Twitter loving up when this happens.

I can believe it. How do we make the app work properly now though? I’ve cleared the cache and reinstalled it to no avail

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are you running a PiHole by chance? There are a few lists the break iOS Twitter embeds I’ve found.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Viruswithshoes posted:

I can believe it. How do we make the app work properly now though? I’ve cleared the cache and reinstalled it to no avail

For getting the embedded tweets to work again, just give it time. I see them stop displaying completely at random and they’ll go back to working just as randomly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mr. Nice! posted:

E: apologies if this is a known issue.

On the app, twitter embeds are not honoring :nws: and spoiler tags. Opening the thread in safari does not result in the same behavior. For example, look in the joe biden thread in c-spam. One poster posts the daily updates from some twitterer about how biden will “nut” divide us.

When browsing on desktop or mobile safari, I can easily and gladly scroll past those without having to look at some dude’s doll in a grode jar. On the app, though, the embed dutifully loads the loads, and I’d rather not see them.

New to me! I'll add it to the list.

b_d posted:

dunno if this is even in your hands, but i got a cool bug just now

I had jumped from a thread in bookmarks to its parent forum, then when i went back to the list of forums it had this smeared over them

Have I mentioned how much I dislike every single "pull to refresh" thing I've ever made or seen? It's really a miracle that it ever works at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The forums themselves do wikipedia links fine now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavetown_(musician) :colbert:

Make them not auto-parse inside code blocks would be good.

:aaaaa: amazing!

commie kong posted:

Awesome, thanks. Will look into it!

Unfortunately, not much you can do unless you join beta (pm Pokeyman an email address to see if he can add you) and install a previous build (5.5) using TestFlight, which is the beta app manager.

Even if it gets fixed quickly, the change has to go through beta and then App Store approval.

But if you join beta you’ll be able to help test the fix :)

E: fwiw I replicated the issue by switching builds in TestFlight

If you decide to take a look at this (no pressure!), the system share sheet and various share extensions are incredibly sensitive to, well, everything, including:

• The order of the share items (UIImage + URL vs. URL + UIImage).
• The type of the share items (URL vs. String that resembles a URL).

If we really get stuck, we can try to special-case depending on the share destination. That means implementing something that conforms to UIActivityItemSource and checks the activityType in activityViewController(_:itemForActivityType:). Hopefully we can tell from the activityType when it's e.g. Facebook Messenger and then not pass in the URL.

Viruswithshoes posted:

I've never figured out what the problem is, and it usually goes away on its own.

I have harebrained ideas for not using Twitter's embedding, but it's a ton of work :(

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Thanks for the pointer towards the right direction. I'll have a crack at it :)

Also, I posted the below re: twitter embeds in the middle of a terrible QCS thread. Might as well share it here. Was your idea custom embed html+css? Cuz I've been thinking the same, but would take some thorough testing for all the different possible media types, I think

A month or so ago, I went down the path of changing the way the app embeds to the iframe way. Then I ended up adding a lazyload polyfill so that the entire view wasn't waiting for all the iframes to load before becoming interactive.

Then I realised that I'd put in a crappy solution for a problem that I myself created and scrapped it. lol.

commie kong posted:

Twitter makes it hard to share images and videos from their site without using their embeds. There's a lot of content that's Twitter only, or news that breaks on twitter. And we need to post about breaking news immediately.

Also, it provides for embedding tweets + 1 response, which is obvs the classic setup and punchline format.

So I don't think removing twitter would be a popular move at all, regardless of Twitter's quality level.

If tweets are truly offensive, install an ad-block (with default settings, probably). Perhaps there's even a way to configure it so that they only block tweets within certain forums?

Regarding the annoying referral links: (e.g. ?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1377982248272719881%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D3964084userid%3D0perpage%3D40pagenumber%3D3) - I don't think there's any way to prevent it while using embedding methods that rely on twitter.js for rendering.

Twitter offer a few ways to embed. The easiest way is to load their javascript, which searches the page for twitter links and creates iframes for each embed.

An alternative method is to pull Tweet json from the oembed api, as described here.

This gives you html elements that you can insert into the page DOM without iframes. However, in order to render it as a tweet (with images/video and formatting), you still need to zap each container using twitter js, which will add the annoying referral share links and whatnot.

I think the only way to avoid this would be to create a custom renderer for the html retrieved from the oembed api. This would need to handle displaying and sizing images, videos, media cards and whatever else Twitter provides by default. So it would be non-trivial and likely imperfect. But you'd be able to define the Share URL without added referral crap.

(As a side note, if you ever see unformatted tweets on awful.app, the tweet itself has probably been deleted, but the html retrieved from the api being used has been cached on your device. With iframes, the content is not cached and there are other loading/performance costs incurred, so the way the app does it is good imo.)

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The only reason I post Twitter links is because Twitter itself embeds the linked article's banner image and headline, which makes it possible to figure out, at a glance, if it's something interesting enough.

If SA itself could do that embedding when a link is posted (similar to many chat apps), we frankly would not need Twitter embeds.

I think SA users may react poorly to rich link embeds appearing in posts, but if SA wanted to do it then there are services like https://iframely.com/, with a free github version here. Not recommending this specifically, just using it as an example.

It would take us further away from web 1.0, tho. And it would fill pages with even more javascript and iframes, which sucks. Perhaps there's a way to do it without iframes, but it would take some effort without an existing library.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

fartknocker posted:

Heh, you responded while I was editing my post to include the quote of you answering the same question for someone else from a few years ago.

Anyway, I did some playing around and it was in the phone settings itself. Somehow, the Awful setting for photos had been changed to "Add Only", switching it back to "All Photos" brought the save option back, in case anyone else ever has the same issue. :)

Thank you for this. Had the same problem for a while and couldn’t figure it out.

Is anyone else having Twitter embeds not displaying like they used to? Uses to be the whole tweet but now I get plain text and a link. E: Oops posted before reading all the thread

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 12, 2021

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Apologies if this has already been covered but I've been having trouble with twitter embeds. For the last week or so they've been looking like this:

My app is on the most current update.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Apologies if this has already been covered but I've been having trouble with twitter embeds. For the last week or so they've been looking like this:

My app is on the most current update.

I think it’s still working for most people, and there have been an unusual number of reports recently of this same problem happening here, in the Android app, and on the website, so whatever the issue is, I don’t think it’s in the app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah that’s exactly what they look like when twitter’s widgets.js script that we and everyone else downloads and runs to embed tweets doesn’t fire properly

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

For anyone curious, the error I'm seeing in the web inspector when tweets fail to embed is:

quote:

[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 () (tweet, line 0)

with a link to https://cdn.syndication.twimg.com/t...3494657&lang=en which was giving an error even in Safari, so unfortunately there's nothing we can do.

e: at least for me these URLs work intermittently but often don't right now

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 17, 2021

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
I saw the busted embeds for a few hours this morning and then they went back to normal with no change on my end besides my vpn gateway, and both gateways I used were in the US so I suspect that didn't cause the change.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Didn’t know Jeffery was doing DB upgrades for them :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

disregard. thank you for the app!!!!!!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Super weird, I’ve had the Twitter embed issue for about two weeks now but only on one of my two phones. Not sure why the other is fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just fumbled my phone and removed a bookmark, and then shaking it didn’t let me undo that. Am I misremembering or did that used to be a thing?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I just fumbled my phone and removed a bookmark, and then shaking it didn’t let me undo that. Am I misremembering or did that used to be a thing?

Works for me. Do you have it enabled in iOS Settings > Accessibility > Touch ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I thought that only applied to text editing.