Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

jet sanchEz posted:

oh poo poo, I was just about to start watching American Gods. I enjoyed the book.

How bad does it get and when?

After season one, leave. They jettisoned a show runner and by most on-set accounts, only Orlando Jones really pulling poo poo together on site and rewriting/reworking enough of the scripts to earn him a writing credit got anything to the finish line. Combine this with losing Gillian Anderson and a lot of S1 cast while trying to cobble together any forward motion and the second season is a disaster.

And then they lose a second showrunner and the new guy fires Orlando Jones for being too loud and black. Basically the quote given. Season 3 has absolutely nothing to it's name. It spins wheels the whole time and ends on a wet fart and cancelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The United States posted:

KINGS was an adaptation of the books of Samuel and Kings from the bible, hence the title, somewhat anachronistically transposing ancient Israel to the modern day. It was never about America, but the promos let people think that.

Have there been many "straight-laced adaptation of an ancient/classical story but its modern day" style works that really panned out? There's Romeo + Juliet I guess, where the feuding families were replaced by business magnates/gangsters who speak like 16th century British people, and all the swords were replaced by guns but everyone still calls them swords.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Have there been many "straight-laced adaptation of an ancient/classical story but its modern day" style works that really panned out? There's Romeo + Juliet I guess, where the feuding families were replaced by business magnates/gangsters who speak like 16th century British people, and all the swords were replaced by guns but everyone still calls them swords.

Specifically because they were Sword model guns. That movie had a lot of fun with prop design.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think Sword was the brand of gun in that adaptation, if I'm remembering right.

There are a lot of "modern Shakespeare" adaptations that work. Ten Things I Hate About You, West Side Story, O, She's the Man all jump to mind, but also less well known ones like Maqbool and Scotland, PA, two very different takes on modern Macbeth.

Outside of Shakespeare... The Kid Who Would Be King, maybe?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

1995's Richard III, 1999's Titus, 2001's O and also Scotland, PA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Julie Taymor Titus isn't exactly 'modern day' but more a ridiculous level of anachronism start to finish. It's pretty great.

I wish I could find this really funny and informative post about Shakespeare's Rome, which tends to be formulaic to the point of parody.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Coriolanus fuckin’ owns a ton.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Julie Taymor Titus isn't exactly 'modern day' but more a ridiculous level of anachronism start to finish. It's pretty great.

I mean it depicts a world that is way closer to the modern day than the 1600's.

Also yes it's my favorite Shakespeare adaptation and one of my favorite movies. I tell people watch it on the largest screen you have and enable the "vivid" setting on your television

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My Own Private Idaho is based on Henry IV and V, updated for the 90s and New Queer Cinema.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I mean, KINGS itself, obviously

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Sword was the brand of gun in that adaptation, if I'm remembering right.

There are a lot of "modern Shakespeare" adaptations that work. Ten Things I Hate About You, West Side Story, O, She's the Man all jump to mind, but also less well known ones like Maqbool and Scotland, PA, two very different takes on modern Macbeth.

Outside of Shakespeare... The Kid Who Would Be King, maybe?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are we forgetting Last Action Hero Hamlet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eont_yEGZs

Ethan Hawke's L33T Hamlet is pretty bad overall but the modern day corporate intrigue setting has actually aged pretty well considering how many of darling turn of the century startups have been revealed to be rotting diseased hovels of sociopathic apathy and corruption akin to the nobility of old. And time has given the setting for the famous soliloquy itself the definitive answer - not to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Up-oGfiosE

Also Romeo MUST Die is a similarly poor adaptation that loses the romance because (a) Jet Li can't pull it off and (b) Hollywood racism but it's still a pretty good excuse for solid martial arts action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBlyq0Y40iw

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hell yeah it does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-XOO_LTlw

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 1, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wish I could find this really funny and informative post about Shakespeare's Rome, which tends to be formulaic to the point of parody.

Harry Lennix owns the gently caress out of that movie. He's so loving good.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I was going to reply with this but it rules.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I can't believe it took me this long to realize Romeo must die was a Romeo and Juliet adaptation. :doh: I remember renting it a bunch of times when I was younger because it was just a cool martial arts movie.

But Romeo + Juliet was a lot better than I had actually anticipated when I got around to watch it last year or so.
Realizing that the church choir was singing "When Doves Cry" at one part was a huge "Oh you sneaky motherfucker" moment.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah Romeo + Juliet owns, watching it made me finally realize that the source material isn't the greatest love story ever told like people think it is but is really a black comedy of stupid idiot teenagers doing stupid idiot teenager things

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

Harry Lennix owns the gently caress out of that movie. He's so loving good.

Yeah, in a movie where everyone's really giving it their best, he steals the show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I just love that the worst thing Romeo can think of is banishment like it’s the end of the world when now it’d be like “gently caress yeah let’s just go to Cancun”

Assuming they aren’t already there idk where the gently caress they are

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah Romeo + Juliet owns, watching it made me finally realize that the source material isn't the greatest love story ever told like people think it is but is really a black comedy of stupid idiot teenagers doing stupid idiot teenager things

This is what makes it great imo. Romeo and Juliet is textbook, beat for beat, line for line, 4 act Shakespearean comedy in every way from how each act opens to how act 4 ends - and then when audiences thought it was over the story continues on for one more act where everything goes to poo poo. :D It's easy to see why it made a big impact.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean my response to this is always, yeah Romeo and Juliet are two stupid kids but the greater stupidity is in their families keeping this meaningless war going.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is what makes it great imo. Romeo and Juliet is textbook, beat for beat, line for line, 4 act Shakespearean comedy in every way from how each act opens to how act 4 ends - and then when audiences thought it was over the story continues on for one more act where everything goes to poo poo. :D It's easy to see why it made a big impact.

Pretty sure all of Shakespeare's plays, comedies included, are published with five acts, though scene and act breaks are of course very after-the-fact. And it's not like you could surprise anyone, the prologue tells you what happens (and for tragedies a black tarp was hung on the open air portion of the Globe.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If you like Romeo and Juliet then watch Ram Leela from Bollywood with Deepika Padukone and Ranvir Singh

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Feldegast42 posted:

Romeo + Juliet is a crime because it could have gone full raunch jokes as the play would have been understood at the time, but doesn’t.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

drat right.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

END ME SCOOB posted:

And then they lose a second showrunner and the new guy fires Orlando Jones for being too loud and black. Basically the quote given. Season 3 has absolutely nothing to it's name. It spins wheels the whole time and ends on a wet fart and cancelation.

Season 3 still has Ian McShane, and that counts for a lot IMO, but.... not much else

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sbaldrick posted:

Romeo + Juliet is a crime because it could have gone full raunch jokes as the play would have been understood at the time, but doesn’t.

I would say it's a crime because it truncated Mercutio's death monologue which was one of Shakespeare's best.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Harold Perrineau is unbelievable in R+J. Complete scene stealer. I feel like he should have had a bigger career - he's still acting a lot so he's a very successful actor but it's mostly TV and smaller movies

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hadn’t heard of Jones getting screwed over on Sleepy Hollow. I know Nicole didn’t care for how she got treated and that’s why she quit. I was already lagging behind on season 3 because it just wasn’t very good, and then found out she’d been killed off. So it labored on for another season that I didn’t watch because there was no point.

There was a crossover between with Bones I think in the third season, which would have been several seasons in for Bones. Stark contrast between the motivation of the SH cast and the Bones cast despite the former starting to drag pretty bad. The latter were just going through the motions about as sloppily as can be.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
While not set in the modern day, Kurosawa’s Throne of Blood/Spider Web Castle is similarly a “Shakespeare in a different time and place” story that’s pretty baller.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

galagazombie posted:

While not set in the modern day, Kurosawa’s Throne of Blood/Spider Web Castle is similarly a “Shakespeare in a different time and place” story that’s pretty baller.

It's on HBO Max right now, highly recommend. Watched it with the house earlier as a very good "we all just got the shot and don't want to move" film

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FoneBone posted:

Season 3 still has Ian McShane, and that counts for a lot IMO, but.... not much else

I currently rewatch Game of Thrones with my girlfriend because we haven't seen the last two seasons and are completionists, and I got angry all over again at the episode where he shows up. The showrunners must have thought "We didn't waste Ciaran Hinds hard enough, but how can we top that?"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

They shot real arrows at Mifune!

That whole finale from the "moving forests" on is basically one of the most amazing ever put to film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ran is apparently coincidentally a lot like King Lear, but when a friend brought up the resemblance Kurosawa decided to roll with it and added more similarities and some quotes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wow, this is actually being filmed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Wow, this is actually being filmed.

If they're actually doing it sort of like the recent Jumanji movies, like everything is visualized as fantasy while the heroes still talk like the players, it could be a lot of fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Or it will be like a literal interpretation of a D&D game where a group of 4 people with different jobs knock at the door of Elminster & Volo's office tower asking about a job ad they saw on a bulletin board at the tavern.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

davidspackage posted:

If they're actually doing it sort of like the recent Jumanji movies, like everything is visualized as fantasy while the heroes still talk like the players, it could be a lot of fun.

Hard disagree. That is in fact the Lamest Take. Though I do think it's exactly what they're doing.

There's also a TV series in development that's a lower-stakes take on the world so that's the one I'll really have my eye on. Fantasy doesn't have to be all world-ending disasters, and Dungeons & Dragons is the perfect franchise for low-stakes fantasy adventures.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 2, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It's a shame it's almost certainly going to be Tolkien style generic fantasy. I want them to get weird and go all Planeacape Torment. There's some wildly inventive stuff on D and D. Especially with the monsters

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Looking forward to a Gelatinous Cube spinoff

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

Hard disagree. That is in fact the Lamest Take. Though I do think it's exactly what they're doing.

There's also a TV series in development that's a lower-stakes take on the world so that's the one I'll really have my eye on. Fantasy doesn't have to be all world-ending disasters, and Dungeons & Dragons is the perfect franchise for low-stakes fantasy adventures.

Two hours of heroes unable to leave a tavern.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

It's a shame it's almost certainly going to be Tolkien style generic fantasy. I want them to get weird and go all Planeacape Torment. There's some wildly inventive stuff on D and D. Especially with the monsters

Where's my Spelljammer movie you loving cowards!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Two hours of heroes unable to leave a tavern.

You've gotta admit it'd make a very cheap mid-season bottle episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

joylessdivision posted:

Where's my Spelljammer movie you loving cowards!

Seconded.