Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm a big fan of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty on this one.

You play as Raynor, who's buddies with Tycus. Between missions, you can talk to other people on the ship for lore/background/whatever

Literally every single person on the ship you can talk to either says "I don't trust that Tycus guy", "I'm a psychic/empath and know for a fact Tycus will betray you," or even my favorite "I, Tycus, can't be trusted and will betray you"

And it STILL catches him off guard in the last cutscene

The Game is a great movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst examples of protagonist incompetence? Where the hero actively screws themself despite ample warning?

Brutal Legend. All you had to do was not be a huge douche, Eddie...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I gave Fallout 4's MQ conclusion some praise in the sibling thread, it does fumble the actual ending pretty hard. A single boilerplate ending cutscene, that can't possibly reflect anything I've done, pre-rendered so it's just generic Nora in her generic Vault 111 suit, with Dogmeat the generic companion, in a generic thriving Sanctuary, giving a generic ending monologue. Because war never changes, y'know.

And while I'm a sucker for a commando raid type of mission, the actual final play against the Institute was kinda bland. Also in some ways the Railroad ending feels less like "yay we freed the synths" and more like "yay the Railroad won" which comes off as...not quite right. Most of the actual post-Intstitute intrigue is also pushed off into radiant quests and gently caress that noise.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Evilreaver posted:

You play as Raynor, who's buddies with Tycus. Between missions, you can talk to other people on the ship for lore/background/whatever

Literally every single person on the ship you can talk to either says "I don't trust that Tycus guy", "I'm a psychic/empath and know for a fact Tycus will betray you," or even my favorite "I, Tycus, can't be trusted and will betray you"

You missed the point. Raynor is a good guy, Tychus is a bad guy. But he doesn't want his friend loving someone white with dreadlocks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Dewgy posted:

Brutal Legend. All you had to do was not be a huge douche, Eddie...

Yeah, that really pissed me off because I really liked him as a character before he screwed Ophelia over for no real reason except hearsay from the literal villain.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

What are the worst examples of protagonist incompetence? Where the hero actively screws themself despite ample warning?

getting over it

just get out of the pot, my guy, it'll be way easier with your legs

but more seriously, Borderlands 3

K, so the badguys are gathering up all the key fragments to open up a Vault, which has some crazy shenanigans inside (mostly monster and guns, though).

good guys want to stop them, so they gather up all the fragments, and open the vault, and kill the monster guarding it/imprisoned within... which is exactly what the badguys wanted, as they waltz in and hoover up the monster's energy. That's their whole plan, their shtick. They want to open the Vaults, kill the monster inside and eat it's power. Also they kill a returning character from BL2, in a stupid cutscene death but anyway.

So it's like, hey. You could've stopped once you got one key fragment. Your goal of stopping the badguys from getting into the Vault is complete there!

Now, maybe it could be excused with the idea, oh the good guys wanted to find something in the Vault to use themselves to actually defeat the baddies for real instead of just stalemating, buuuut...

THEY DO THE EXACT SAME THING AGAIN. They open another Vault, and kill another monster- now this time they manage to disperse the monster's energy before the villain can Kirby it- but their goal is explicitly "we need to prevent the villain from eating this monster's energy", and that was completed after getting one key fragment. Or like, Lay a trap? let the villain fight the monster and swoop in like what they did earlier in a turn of the tables?

Instead the goodguy's scientist character just winds up kidnapped by villains immediately after, because like, nobody respects that the villains are watching and can teleport? and nobody thinks to send in back up or, like, have the scientist immediately skedadle back to safety.

Bleh.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Apr 30, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first Five episodes of Umineko

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Vic posted:

You missed the point. Raynor is a good guy, Tychus is a bad guy. But he doesn't want his friend loving someone white with dreadlocks.

As long as we're on the topic, Starcraft 2 has 3 chapters/arcs, Wings of Liberty being the first, and is all about "Raynor goes all over the gently caress to build an artifact to de-zerg Kerrigan, who is his waifu Queen of the zerg and an existential threat". This is accomplished at the end of Wings at massive effort and loss of life.

The second chapter, Heart of the Swarm, opens with Kerrigan immediately re-zerging herself, and six missions in zergs herself even harder

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's Blizzard for you.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Heart of the Swarm was such a huge goddamn letdown after Wings, which was fun and cool and good. In Wings, virtually none of the missions were the boring "build up an unstoppable army and steamroll an enemy base", there were objectives and curveballs thrown in that made each mission fun and unique.

HotS had almost every mission be "build a deathball", and had Kerrigan as an obvious-DOTA-hero* heading up the army single-handedly stomping opposing forces herself thereby reducing thought and mission uniqueness even further

*a circumstance funny in its own way

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

It's all a bit odd anyway considering that, based on what happens, it seems that Tycus is there because Mensk thought "Raynor is planning a rebellion against me. I'd better get an agent inside his organisation in case Raynor abandons that plan and instead goes off to save the life of a mass murderer who he previously swore to kill"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

The first Five episodes of Umineko

*screams internally*

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

While I gave Fallout 4's MQ conclusion some praise in the sibling thread, it does fumble the actual ending pretty hard. A single boilerplate ending cutscene, that can't possibly reflect anything I've done, pre-rendered so it's just generic Nora in her generic Vault 111 suit, with Dogmeat the generic companion, in a generic thriving Sanctuary, giving a generic ending monologue. Because war never changes, y'know.

And while I'm a sucker for a commando raid type of mission, the actual final play against the Institute was kinda bland. Also in some ways the Railroad ending feels less like "yay we freed the synths" and more like "yay the Railroad won" which comes off as...not quite right. Most of the actual post-Intstitute intrigue is also pushed off into radiant quests and gently caress that noise.

I still can't get over the game trying to do a "can a machine ever be truly alive" thing with the gen 3 synths when they're clones. The stuff with Nick Valentine makes sense, he's a copy of a dead human's memories in a robot body. Is he truly alive? Is he the original Nick Valentine? There's interesting discussions to be had about him. But the gen 3 synths are clones. The whole game is kicked off by the Institute needing untainted DNA to make more clones. Why am I having to engage with arguments about whether these people are people? Is this another one of those instances of no communication between different writers?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I still can't get over the game trying to do a "can a machine ever be truly alive" thing with the gen 3 synths when they're clones. The stuff with Nick Valentine makes sense, he's a copy of a dead human's memories in a robot body. Is he truly alive? Is he the original Nick Valentine? There's interesting discussions to be had about him. But the gen 3 synths are clones. The whole game is kicked off by the Institute needing untainted DNA to make more clones. Why am I having to engage with arguments about whether these people are people? Is this another one of those instances of no communication between different writers?

Sci-fi (especially bad sci-fi) kinda plays fast and loose with the definition of a clone.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Rage uninstalled Control last night. I went back to it to do the two DLCs and got to a boss that takes place on a tiny platform that the giant boss is constantly destroying. You can look up at the boss to dodge his attacks and attack back or you can look at the floor and not fall. You can't do both and Control has the Remedy problem of combat being incredible hard to see clearly once poo poo starts with stuff flying in your fov all the time.

Basically Control combat kinda sucks and this one boss exacerbates all the flaws. Like Remedy thought they were clever in leaning into the faults for this fight's challenge.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thundercracker posted:

Rage uninstalled Control last night. I went back to it to do the two DLCs and got to a boss that takes place on a tiny platform that the giant boss is constantly destroying. You can look up at the boss to dodge his attacks and attack back or you can look at the floor and not fall. You can't do both and Control has the Remedy problem of combat being incredible hard to see clearly once poo poo starts with stuff flying in your fov all the time.

Basically Control combat kinda sucks and this one boss exacerbates all the flaws. Like Remedy thought they were clever in leaning into the faults for this fight's challenge.

You could have just turned on invincibility or shot kills instead

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Len posted:

You could have just turned on invincibility or shot kills instead

That's exactly what I did for that boss after failing it like 20 times.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Thundercracker posted:

The worst thing about that fight is that it would be a billion percent less frustrating if you could levitate up once you've started falling.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Thundercracker posted:

My issue was fighting the clock boss, but that's because it would crash the game. Looking up stuff on the Internet said it was due to the sheer number of clocks it was spitting out and the graphics card choking on all those edges. I tried a few recommendations and finally made it through. I think I tried turning downing the graphic settings during the fight and then finally looking away when it spewed all those clocks.

CordlessPen posted:

The worst thing about that fight is that it would be a billion percent less frustrating if you could levitate up once you've started falling.

Yes, that would have saved me many times throughout the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sunswipe posted:

The only time it works is in Far Harbor, imo. One of the main characters in that DLC asks you if you're a synth and how you could tell if you weren't, which is fair enough.

Synths don't make a whole lot of sense as slavery metaphors other than that. You never get the technical argument, "sure they're programmed to act human, but it's all code, let me show you how it works".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thundercracker posted:

I remembered this being a real pain in the rear end too, but when I replayed it on PS5 I noticed that all the holes in the floor produce light shafts and the boss’ ground slam attacks are heavily telegraphed, so looking up or down isn’t too much of a problem. Took him out on the first try because of that.

It’s technically fair, but the main issue is you just kind of get dumped into that fight randomly and no other fight in the game works even remotely like that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bony tony posted:

The only time it works is in Far Harbor, imo. One of the main characters in that DLC asks you if you're a synth and how you could tell if you weren't, which is fair enough.

Synths don't make a whole lot of sense as slavery metaphors other than that. You never get the technical argument, "sure they're programmed to act human, but it's all code, let me show you how it works".

Which would be interesting as it leads into questioning why a mechanical brain programmed to act a certain way is less alive than our organic brains which are programmed by our experiences and upbringing. Have it so the Institute is using clone bodies because it means they don't have to use the resources to make a full robot body, but they put a computer "brain" in the body so they don't have to waste time teaching it anything, just dump in personality #5 and away it goes. I swear Fallout 4 is like Star Trek Voyager, in that every time I think about it I think of something that could have been done so much better.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sunswipe posted:

Which would be interesting as it leads into questioning why a mechanical brain programmed to act a certain way is less alive than our organic brains which are programmed by our experiences and upbringing. Have it so the Institute is using clone bodies because it means they don't have to use the resources to make a full robot body, but they put a computer "brain" in the body so they don't have to waste time teaching it anything, just dump in personality #5 and away it goes. I swear Fallout 4 is like Star Trek Voyager, in that every time I think about it I think of something that could have been done so much better.

That is how the non-robotic synths already work. They're made using cloned bodies and biotech organs with small internal cybernetics (the Synth Components they drop on death). They have knowledge and memories implanted into their brains, and they have code phrases programmed into their brains to force compliance.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Schubalts posted:

That is how the non-robotic synths already work. They're made using cloned bodies and biotech organs with small internal cybernetics (the Synth Components they drop on death). They have knowledge and memories implanted into their brains, and they have code phrases programmed into their brains to force compliance.

Don't we all? :tinfoil:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm programmed to reject that concept.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Would you kindly stop asking such silly questions?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doesn't look like anything to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh right, a legitimately dogshit thing I forgot about with Fallout 4: One of the main story quests traps you in a room while security spins up to kill you. The only way to lift the lockdown is to either hack an Advanced terminal or kill all of the security measures. Except one of them is a turret up on a high, high ceiling. Being a melee character with zero hacking prowess I came pretty close to getting softlocked if not for a safe containing a pipe pistol being in the area. (I maybe could've tried to gently caress around with grenades, but meh. I was also fresh out of molotovs.) There's a few other points where they plainly forgot that not every character will have a ranged weapon but that was definitely the most egregious.

Schubalts posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I don't really see the issue beyond the Institute being plainly evil. Like I guess there could have been more moral and philosophical complexity backing it up, but those are not Bethesda's strong suits by far.

And hell, even New Vegas struggles to give a compelling reason why you should tolerate the Legion. :can:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I don't really see the issue beyond the Institute being plainly evil. Like I guess there could have been more moral and philosophical complexity backing it up, but those are not Bethesda's strong suits by far.

And hell, even New Vegas struggles to give a compelling reason why you should tolerate the Legion. :can:

The Institute being plain old evil was a really boring and ultimately disappointing angle, because I actually wanted to side with them. I loved the idea of this secret group working on solving all the pressing problems with the world, but aren't done yet, who are hated mostly because they don't communicate and so just look like an inscrutible menace to the outside world. Not evil, just no PR acumen at all.

But nope. Turns out they are boringly evil, and the developers couldn't fathom a reason someone would side with them that wasn't 100% Shaun-focused. Complete waste of a good idea.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And the Institute itself looks really boring. Sure, it's pretty cool to have a raygun gothic mall hidden underground to contrast with the rest of the world, but it's very samey and easy to get lost.

The Institute should have been either Morlocks in dark warrens or the remains of Vault-Tec, who kept all the good tech for themselves.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I bought the Resident Evil 2&3 remake deal on Steam last week, and man, zombies reviving after you take them out was scary the first time, boring the second time, and just increasingly annoying the other five million times.

I finished the Leon campaign and didn't really enjoy it; is there any meaningful difference between Leon and Claire's? Does RE 3 have more interesting gameplay, or is it also a never-ending fetch quest for colour-coded keys?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Squidster posted:

I finished the Leon campaign and didn't really enjoy it; is there any meaningful difference between Leon and Claire's?

Different set of guns, different route through the station, different mid-game character switch-up, different final boss. Different enough to be worth it for a person who did enjoy it, but probably not enough to justify the replay if gameplay was an issue for you.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Squidster posted:

I bought the Resident Evil 2&3 remake deal on Steam last week, and man, zombies reviving after you take them out was scary the first time, boring the second time, and just increasingly annoying the other five million times.

I finished the Leon campaign and didn't really enjoy it; is there any meaningful difference between Leon and Claire's? Does RE 3 have more interesting gameplay, or is it also a never-ending fetch quest for colour-coded keys?

RE3 is much more of a linear game. There's looking around in areas for items to progress but each area is much smaller, there's nothing even close to the scope of RPD.

Claire's campaign hits the same main plot beats as Leon's but you'll encounter different things in different places, and it ties up different plot points. The most notable difference is fighting Birken in the labs as you escape instead of Mr. X. There's also one final playthrough to get the true ending, but if you didn't enjoy a single playthrough don't feel the need to slog through two more.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Thanks, that's a big help. I'll move on to RE3 and hope for the best!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the ugliest or most obtrusive HUDs in game?

Nowadays modern games let you turn off elements individually or resize them, and there's no need to plaster "You picked up 10mm ammo" over the middle of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bv45aPMGyI

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

It's pointed out that merchants travelling through Legion territory don't have to worry about raiders and bandits. I can imagine a courier who's been ambushed and nearly killed while making a delivery deciding that that sort of safety is worth it, even with all the downsides of the Legion. Not saying that that's right, but I can see how a selfish rear end in a top hat could come to that conclusion. I had more trouble figuring out why anyone would support the NCR.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was a fan of Persona 5 Strikers' UI, except for the fact that it had to play an animation every time it transitioned from screen to screen.

I had a similar gripe about Xenosaga 1's menu, which had to almost spin up every time you opened it and, as someone seeing this sort of thing for the first time, it bugged me so much that I nearly quit playing it (I mean I should've for other reasons but whatever).

Also, Vagrant Story. A game about switching weapons to adjust to the enemy you're fighting, and the amount of steps and menu screens to do so makes it a pain in the rear end every time.

Guess I'm not so concerned about appearance in a UI, just snappiness and ease-of-use.

Edit: wait you said HUDs. Welp.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sunswipe posted:

It's pointed out that merchants travelling through Legion territory don't have to worry about raiders and bandits. I can imagine a courier who's been ambushed and nearly killed while making a delivery deciding that that sort of safety is worth it, even with all the downsides of the Legion. Not saying that that's right, but I can see how a selfish rear end in a top hat could come to that conclusion. I had more trouble figuring out why anyone would support the NCR.

I believe one of the cut plans for New Vegas was that there would actually be a part of the game world controlled by Caesar's Legion, and it actually was going to be completely safe and devoid of enemies, showing that for all the Legion's many problems, they at least legitimately brought peace and order. That's always something I'm disappointed didn't get into the game, but I can see why it didn't.

The NCR in New Vegas I like more now that I've grown up and gotten more into politics, both modern and historic, because they have a super relatable core problem: while there's nothing wrong with their ideals and worldview, they're too far out from their home to properly realize anything, especially with strong competition. It's something you see plenty from wider nations in history before telecommunications and strong transport, but it's also something familiar if you know modern politics, and see the struggle when parties start trying to campaign in areas that are new to them.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

NCR is literally old world democracy, and for as much as they're shown to be a failing bureaucracy they're still at least making attempts at providing civic services like organizing farms, distributing water/food/power/etc etc. They were the ones who got the Hoover Dam back online, and are in the process of getting HELIOS One running too.

None of the of the factions are objectively good, but none of the factions are objectively bad either, at least from a practicality standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

What are the ugliest or most obtrusive HUDs in game?

The HUD in the Dead Rising games spring to mind immediately for me. I couldn't keep up with a loving thing and never had any idea what to do next. Also, way back when DR1 came out, if you didn't have a high def screen, you couldn't read the captions at all. Even some of the menu items and poo poo were nearly impossible to read.