Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Shanty posted:

Whatever beef Maul has with the Jedi is really interesting. It's not "at last, we will own these dumbasses and personally grab a bunch of power", it's "at last, we will have revenge".
It's possible that Sheev has just indoctrinated him against them with a bunch of liesabout the persecution of the sith, but I think exploiting an existing grievance is much more his thing. What did the Jedi do to Maul or his people?

If you take The Clone Wars into account, nothing. He's from a tribe that's enslaved and used as breeding stock by a planet of witches, and Sheev basically just picked Maul up at a cattle auction as a child and raised him to be an assassin.

If you're just judging by what the movie presents, there's probably something to be said for another member of Maul's species being a member of the Jedi council, with blunted horns and faded cultural tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shanty posted:

Whatever beef Maul has with the Jedi is really interesting. It's not "at last, we will own these dumbasses and personally grab a bunch of power", it's "at last, we will have revenge".
It's possible that Sheev has just indoctrinated him against them with a bunch of liesabout the persecution of the sith, but I think exploiting an existing grievance is much more his thing. What did the Jedi do to Maul or his people?

The 2017 Darth Maul mini-series covers that - Maul's seeking revenge of the Jedi for their massacre of the Sith at Malachor, as well as their weakness born from complacency

Palpatine tells him that patience may run counter to the passions of the Sith, but without it, they will be destroyed, which doesn't suit Maul's hunter ideology

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shanty posted:

Vinylshadow posted:

The 2017 Darth Maul mini-series covers that - Maul's seeking revenge of the Jedi for their massacre of the Sith at Malachor, as well as their weakness born from complacency
If you ignore EU garbage, Maul simply wants revenge against the Jedi for upholding the status quo that keeps his people in desperate poverty. (Why would he give a poo poo about some Jedi vs. Sith conflict that happened a thousand years ago on another planet?) Maul's familiar with Tattooine, and we first see him in action jumping off a speeder to attack Qui-Gon. Without knowing anything about his background, we see he's a scary, horned figure in a robe. He's a Sand Person.

We can presume that Palpatine and Dooku aren't the only ones buying slave-gladiators, or the Nightsisters wouldn't be training them. They're not there to repel any invasion force.

During the Clone Wars, Maul sought out ancient Sith secrets to get revenge on his enemies, not because he cared about some ancient Sith culture that never actually existed onscreen until the last seasons of Rebels and Clone Wars.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Vinylshadow posted:

Palpatine tells him that patience may run counter to the passions of the Sith, but without it, they will be destroyed, which doesn't suit Maul's hunter ideology

I never buy any of this stuff about "The Sith". The reaction of anyone identifiably "Sith" to their compatriots being slaughtered is probably "lmao you idiots, saves me the trouble". That they would have like a serious grudge against the Jedi rather than viewing them as, like, a funny obstacle doesn't scan to me.

I can believe that Sheev sold Maul on that mythology, but there has to be something underlying that to grab onto.

Robot Style posted:

If you take The Clone Wars into account, nothing. He's from a tribe that's enslaved and used as breeding stock by a planet of witches, and Sheev basically just picked Maul up at a cattle auction as a child and raised him to be an assassin.

If you're just judging by what the movie presents, there's probably something to be said for another member of Maul's species being a member of the Jedi council, with blunted horns and faded cultural tattoos.

Maul being a slave with a grudge against the republic is absolutely Sheev's MO, though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol the new issue of the Darth Vader comic just revealed that Snoke is Luuke, complete with being grown from Luke's severed hand.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Lol the new issue of the Darth Vader comic just revealed that Snoke is Luuke, complete with being grown from Luke's severed hand.

Truly, he is Bigger Luke.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

galagazombie posted:

Oh my god, that's the dumbest possible idea. I love it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

galagazombie posted:

It is now canon. This idea. I like it. Lmao.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just when you think it can't get any dumber. Is this with Filoni too? Like he controls this, eh? I generally liked all the show stuff but seems the comics go nuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t wait until the fans turn on him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bigger Luke is now Canon. All glory to Canon!

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Just when you think it can't get any dumber. Is this with Filoni too? Like he controls this, eh? I generally liked all the show stuff but seems the comics go nuts.

I'd imagine it's Pablo Hidalgo and the story group. Filoni works on the TV stuff.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

galagazombie posted:

Haha hahaha, gently caress Star Wars

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

galagazombie posted:

That sounds too stupid to be true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They jettisoned the old EU, only to remake it somehow even worse. It's amazing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate's hand's clone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

galagazombie posted:

It's true. All of it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remade it Better. this is a better background for Snoke than anything else. It redeems his character even more than his portrayal as a goofy gardener in the previous comic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

galagazombie posted:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Friend, if you think this is somehow worse than the old EU then you didn't know jack poo poo about the old EU.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

galagazombie posted:

thanks i love it

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

galagazombie posted:

:sickos:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How is this any better than the old canon?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

How is this any better than the old canon?

Where has it ever been advertised or spoken of as better

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This is why gundam is the superior sci-fi franchise because they don't give a gently caress about canon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of anime sci-fi franchises don't, they basically do reboots every generation or two. Transformers, Digimon, etc. Continuity becomes a shackle especially when you really just want to sell toys.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

galagazombie posted:

It's like the worst of the Extended Universe. Idiotic but also really funny and amazing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't believe Luke never got to meet his clone brother, Snoke.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
In fairness, it sounds like something Palpatine would totally do and it's better than what we got in Rise of Skywalker.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t wait until the fans turn on him.

All he needs to say is 'Last Jedi is pretty good, come to think of it' and that's all you need.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It's like the worst of the Extended Universe. Idiotic but also really funny and amazing.

It's something I love reading about, but would never in a hundred years read/watch/listen to/play.

Like Warhammer, but even stupider.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
funnily enough I don't hate snoke being made from Luke's hand but lmao I wish that'd been in the movies

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Palpatine creating a Luke failson that has to manage his empire until he gets back into fighting shape is way better than him being Rey's grandaddy. It sounds like what even Lucas would do.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

In fairness, it sounds like something Palpatine would totally do and it's better than what we got in Rise of Skywalker.

Which means that Palpatine, upon seeing Luke’s mangled hand, must have thought back to the moment he saw Anakin’s mangled entire body. He must have had a moment where he thought ‘What the hell am I even doing anymore?’

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Horizon Burning posted:

funnily enough I don't hate snoke being made from Luke's hand but lmao I wish that'd been in the movies

They should have had him mentioned as the Emperor’s son in TFA or TLJ so people wonder where the gently caress he came from and why he looks like poo poo. Then the comic reveal would been incredible.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Why does Luke’s hand like to wear gold?

Imagine making your villain out of the hand of the hero from the previous entries. It could hold some pretty interesting meaning if you really explored that in a way only a science fiction/fantasy really could.

But this is what we got lol.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I love the idea of Palpatine wanting his own Luke but the guy comes out of the tube all gross and doesn’t know what to do with him and then later gets thrown down a hole. Now Ugly Son takes over and tries to avoid his dad’s mistakes only to also get killed by his apprentice.

Tragic comedy.

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 2, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Idle hands are the devil's playground.

Explains the golden bathrobe and evilness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Imagine making your villain out of the hand of the hero from the previous entries.
The non-horse guy in my avatar says hi.