Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a demo for Happy Birthdays. I think it's like a weird ant-farm-like sort of deal. I've considered picking it up a few times but never did.

I bought a physical copy of Happy Birthdays and was absolutely never able to wrap my head around it. You individually adjust the elevation of pieces of a plane to make them hotter or colder, then use special skills to seed life, promote mating, make plants, animals, etc. I got to the first real area and couldn’t do it at all.

Meanwhile my wife picked it up and beat the main mode and started working through the missions. I watched her play for hours and still couldn’t decipher it.

Anyways it’s a land of contrasts and definitely for some people and not others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Folks really trying to poo poo on the krauser knife fight? That scene is so good I had a save set aside just to play that part.

And wasn't RE4 the pioneer of "oh poo poo pick up the sticks you need to move in this cut scene?"

GoaT game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I take back everything I've said about Charlotte in Trials of Mana. She owns. Her Boston accent loving rules, and if she says an unvoiced line, I can just pretend Homestar Runner is saying it. It's the best.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the knife fight is so drat cool I’m willing to forgive it for being a qte

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I bought a physical copy of Happy Birthdays and was absolutely never able to wrap my head around it. You individually adjust the elevation of pieces of a plane to make them hotter or colder, then use special skills to seed life, promote mating, make plants, animals, etc. I got to the first real area and couldn’t do it at all.

Meanwhile my wife picked it up and beat the main mode and started working through the missions. I watched her play for hours and still couldn’t decipher it.

Anyways it’s a land of contrasts and definitely for some people and not others.

Like the tutorial says it's mostly about time. You can get really far just changing tile height and watching it evolve slowly there's even a speed up button.

It's more of a do a few things see what develops and explore. If you try and play it like it's a hardcore game I imagine it would be extremely frustrating. You can of course use speed run strategies spamming items and I'm sure break the game very quickly.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

Folks really trying to poo poo on the krauser knife fight? That scene is so good I had a save set aside just to play that part.

And wasn't RE4 the pioneer of "oh poo poo pick up the sticks you need to move in this cut scene?"

GoaT game.

Shenmue arguably pioneered QTEs in mainstream games. RE 4 was obviously more successful and popular, but it’s far from the reason we see QTEs in games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Like you, I'm American..."

Also, I really don't like how the game plays Krauser up like 'yeah, remember him?' when, in 2005, he had never existed before this game. Like, I know the story is ridiculous, but c'mon now. C'mon.

::cmon:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it rules, last we saw Leon he was a rookie cop and now he just has all this insane secret agent poo poo that happened entirely offscreen between games

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there any way to sort my software library into folders and stuff? So I can have "party games," "fighting games," "single player stuff"?

Or is that not an option right now?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Augus posted:

it rules, last we saw Leon he was a rookie cop and now he just has all this insane secret agent poo poo that happened entirely offscreen between games

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there any way to sort my software library into folders and stuff? So I can have "party games," "fighting games," "single player stuff"?

Or is that not an option right now?

No sorry, it's a common complaint but we've seen no sign it will ever happen. So maybe they get stealth released next Wednesday.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bushisms.txt posted:

wasn't RE4 the pioneer of "oh poo poo pick up the sticks you need to move in this cut scene?"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Also, I really don't like how the game plays Krauser up like 'yeah, remember him?' when, in 2005, he had never existed before this game. Like, I know the story is ridiculous, but c'mon now. C'mon.

Leon picking some weird rear end 80's action movie rival and reflexes for getting dropped down trap doors and poo poo was fantastic. I them to bring that dopey ,one liner dropping, rear end in a top hat energy into Infinite Darkness.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i remember really liking that dumbass resident evil cg movie where he’s in an airport or something. i watched it on a umd on my psp, which i’m pretty sure is what the director intended

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/PossiblyGod_/status/1387902012273176579

JustJeff88 posted:

Someone mentioned Gradius V on the PS3 earlier; that was a good one. Bloody hard, naturally, but it had a very clever gimmick where the game would give you more continues after a game over for each new run. I think that it eventually capped out at infinite, but I don't recall. I'm a bit afraid to play my PS3 now (I have one of the old, huge ones that plays PS2 games via hardware) because it's so old and if it breaks, those damned things are way too expensive second-hand.
Gradius V was PS2 wasn't it? Maybe you could just emulate it instead of risking your PS3...although if you're afraid to play the PS3 to begin with it kinda defeats the purpose of having it doesn't it :v:

bushisms.txt posted:

GoaT game.
And even if you hosed up the deaths could be hilarious.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

No sorry, it's a common complaint but we've seen no sign it will ever happen. So maybe they get stealth released next Wednesday.
Obviously folders will require the power of a new Switch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

japtor posted:

Gradius V was PS2 wasn't it?

I bought it on PS2.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Went to get Pokemon Snap for the switch on amazon and found this blast from the past

https://www.amazon.com/Pikachu-Poke...19841532&sr=8-5

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Hey, can someone who has it post a trip report on R-Type Final 2?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RE4's dialogue is very weird in general. people don't have conversations so much as string together quips in vaguely logical order

this is one of its many strengths of course

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Is resident evil 4 a good buy on switch for someone who's never played it? Haven't played any RE games but this seems to be the one everyone says is the best, buy not sure how much of that is nostalgia or if it's a good game on its own.

Its probably my favorite game ever, so even if some lovely parts are in it, its still worth the experience. I believe everyone should play it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

man nurse posted:

Shenmue arguably pioneered QTEs in mainstream games. RE 4 was obviously more successful and popular, but it’s far from the reason we see QTEs in games.

I'm not talking about qtes labeled qtes. Didn't shenmue warn you? Re4 took it took the next level where it was a jump scare in a rendered scene. Because technically die hard arcade/dynamite cop would be the first.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oxxidation posted:

RE4's dialogue is very weird in general. people don't have conversations so much as string together quips in vaguely logical order

this is one of its many strengths of course

I've heard Street Fighter described as "Raul Julia knew how bad the movie was and had fun with it."

RE4 is capturing that style of a B-movie where the actors know it and are going ham, wheras the previous games were more shlock that the actors tried to play straight.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I've heard Street Fighter described as "Raul Julia knew how bad the movie was and had fun with it."

RE4 is capturing that style of a B-movie where the actors know it and are going ham, wheras the previous games were more shlock that the actors tried to play straight.
Raul Julia was amazing in that, RIP. Obligatory link to this video about the movie whenever it comes up.

RE4 is one of the better stories in games just cause it doesn't give a gently caress about trying to be serious, it leans hard into the cheese and pulls it off.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

This reminded me that my bootleg Mother 3 GBA cart came in the mail today. :woop:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Hey, can someone who has it post a trip report on R-Type Final 2?

Pretty fun thus far (though I got it on Steam). The difficulty seems well balanced, and I just kept going "oh what does this new ship weapon do" and that's the story of how I accidentally burned two extra hours of my night.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

cartiledge head???!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

japtor posted:

Raul Julia was amazing in that, RIP. Obligatory link to this video about the movie whenever it comes up.

RE4 is one of the better stories in games just cause it doesn't give a gently caress about trying to be serious, it leans hard into the cheese and pulls it off.

Knowing he took that role to have something to share with his kids before he died is so heartwarming.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember someone posting the portable printer that will print your Switch screenshots. I'm a bit intrigued, but it's $100 and out of stock on Amazon.

I don't suppose you could pretty much do something similar with any old photo printer? I think it'd be fun to print all the dumb screenshots I've taken in stuff like Odyssey and Smash (I really love photo modes for whatever reason) and hang them up around my house or whatever, but it's probably more a novel idea than anything. It'd also give me a good excuse to pick up Pokemon Snap...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

xedo posted:

Konami is actually exhibiting at E3 this year so logically they must have at least 1 game in the works? Which is a step up from lately?
They actually literally just announced they won't be at E3 "due to timing". They claim to be working on "a number of key projects". As for what we know about, outside of their usual Pro Evo Soccer game, they have the non-Stadia version of Super Bomberman R Online and the impending Steam Early Access release of Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon on the docket.

Getting past the fact that it doesn't include the older bonuses like Duke it out in DC and the beach one, how is Duke Nukem 3D World Tour Anniversary or Whatever It's Called on Switch? Functionally, I mean. How's the gyro? Online?
It's okay. Gyro controls are present and accounted for. Online is much the same as it is on PC, so basically dead outside of playing with specific friends. Load times are oddly long. Here's a quick writeup I did when it came out last June:

The Kins posted:

Duke 3D World Tour is out on Switch for five bucks, so I gave it a quick poke to see if the port was any good.

Some quick thoughts from playing through a map and a bit and briefly poking at online play:

• Load times at the start of a level are surprisingly long!
  • Framerate is pretty solid, though to accomodate that a lot of the new effects in the "true 3D" renderer seem to be either missing (ambient occlusion) or downgraded (the dynamic lights have oddly hard edges)
  • HD Rumble is weird. It seems to be mimicking non-voice sound effect playback, scaled to the volume of each sound? Kind of odd to have it faintly rumbling in tune to a Pig Cop snorting two rooms over.
  • Gyro aiming is in, ala Splatoon, but the default settings felt kind of insensitive.
  • The Atomic Health sound is weird. I thought they patched that on PC?
  • The re-recorded voices still suck compared to the "legacy" ones.

Online multiplayer exists, except it's still ye olde lobby based system and everyone's on wifi so lag and disconnects are rife.

All in all, seems pretty close to the previous releases of World Tour, for better or worse, except you can play it while making GBS threads. Which is apt, I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Kins posted:

They actually literally just announced they won't be at E3 "due to timing". They claim to be working on "a number of key projects". As for what we know about, outside of their usual Pro Evo Soccer game, they have the non-Stadia version of Super Bomberman R Online and the impending Steam Early Access release of Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon on the docket.
It's okay. Gyro controls are present and accounted for. Online is much the same as it is on PC, so basically dead outside of playing with specific friends. Load times are oddly long. Here's a quick writeup I did when it came out last June:

Konami teamed up with the people who made those Layers of Fear games to make the next Silent Hill*

*Not confirmed but that didn't stop the headlines or the posts talking about how they're making the worst Silent Hill

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does Pokemon Snap have all the Pokemon?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't come close to beating it but I can absolutely guarantee that it doesn't. There's almost 1000 of them at this point, even the mainline games don't include all of them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It does have all of them. You just haven't looked hard enough.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Regy Rusty posted:

I haven't come close to beating it but I can absolutely guarantee that it doesn't. There's almost 1000 of them at this point, even the mainline games don't include all of them.
If it doesn't it should have

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pokemon Snap doesn't have all the Pokemon but Miitopia does if you put in enough time and effort.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I can’t believe Nintendo’s gonna sell a vastly upgraded sequel to its mii generator that came with the Wii. And as an afterthought they tacked on an RPG. Amazing.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The Kins posted:

Duke 3D's Fancy Alternate Renderer

I've been playing Duke on Switch lately and I hate the 'upgraded' rendering so much in this port. The sharp sector lighting and limited palette are both part of what make build engine games look special. The fancy renderer looks like baby's first unity lighting but with low res textures. Major downgrade imo. Glad it can be switched off.

Level commentary is fun though!

Also I'm extremely sad that we'll probably never see Shadow Warrior or Blood on Switch.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I'm smiling just thinking about the Krauser knife fight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm smiling just thinking about the Krauser knife fight.

"Almost let it slip... Enough of this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
With all this talk of genesis ports, does the genesis mini have good/lag free-ish emulations on it? Also does mod potential exist? Because adding more games makes it even more appealing to me.