Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Procrastine posted:

Umineko Episode 1:

Might as well start by confirming that, yep, Umineko episodes are longer than Higurashi chapters. Umineko 1 took me 14 hours compared to 8-10 hours for most Higurashi chapters.

Unlike Higurashi, which I went into completely blind, I knew a number of things about Umineko before starting. Is it bad that I spent a lot of episode 1 going "yes but when does Beatrice show up"? I didn't realize she would be Tea Party-exclusive, though at this point who knows what level of canon versus fourth-wall those are on. In conclusion: uu

MegaZeroX posted:

Its fine. That is a pretty minor spoiler, all things considered.

Yeah I'm pretty sure she even shows up on the store page for the game :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I was going to wait until I finished Umineko episode 1 to comment, but I didn't get to play last night. I'm just past the boiler room visit. Here's some scattershot thoughts. I don't think there's any big spoilers but blacking it out anyway just in case.

With how relatively fast things are moving now I'm curious what's going to fill up the remaining 7 episodes. I'm thinking lots and lots of flashbacks. Flashbacks for everyone, at every age range.

I hope the game ends with Battler pulling a Columbo on the witch. Just one more thing, lets spin the chessboard around...

The PS3 art and voices really helped me get into it, I much prefer it to the GOG vanilla version, and I know it has its fans but I can't appreciate the original art at all.

As someone who had more than one occult book confiscated and/or burned by my parents when I was a teen in the same time period, Maria is too young for that poo poo so there's something going on with her. Maybe if they were hand-me-downs from her mom or an older sister. Or I guess if Beatrice and/or Grandpa has been whispering in her ear for years its not too far off from the equivalent of a neglected rich kid learning a language from her nanny or helping greatpoppa with his ham radio. Kinzo probably has a library somewhere with an encyclopedia of all 73 demons and a young goth wannabe is going to eat that poo poo up. Plus it's basically anime anyway.

I guess that's about all I have to say right now except I have to admit I relate the most to Natsuhi and want her to survive all this bullshit and retire with all the secret gold to somewhere nicely landlocked.

And one question for outside the spoiler bubble. When the narrator takes pains to bold something, it doesn't mean its 100% TRUTH for purposes of being a clue to solving the mystery, right? Just emphasized for the point he wants to make, and could be speculation or misdirection?

I'm really enjoying the ambience, the sound effects are so good, especially set up with some of the music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bagrada posted:

And one question for outside the spoiler bubble. When the narrator takes pains to bold something, it doesn't mean its 100% TRUTH for purposes of being a clue to solving the mystery, right? Just emphasized for the point he wants to make, and could be speculation or misdirection?

It does not mean it's one hundred percent truth

Also buckle up

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

I went into Umineko with the knowledge that Battler would at some point have the cape, and all it did was confuse me a lot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I went into Umineko with the knowledge that Battler would at some point have the cape, and all it did was confuse me a lot.

It's a cool rear end cape. I saw Will's trading card right before starting EP7 and was convinced that it was post timeskip Battler

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Rockman Reserve posted:

Can someone seriously just give a high level, two or three sentence spoiler about why C:H fell so short?

The protagonist is repugnant on every level. In addition, I cannot recall a protagonist of any VN, or any other piece of fiction for that matter, who has so little agency and who does so little to move the plot of of his/her story along. Takumi does nothing himself, he only reacts. (And yes, I remember the game kinda/sorta gives a reason for this towards the end. It's still dumb.)

The rest of the characters are just boring. Makise Kurisu has more personality in one of her pinkies than all the cookie cutter heroines of C;H have put together.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 7 Tea Party
Holy poo poo Kinzo rigging your entire Island to explode to force a decision. I kinda want to do that.

This is the real fragment isn't it. They solved the mystery before any of the twilights but there gonna end up killing eachother over the gold and the bomb. With only Eva, Sayo, and Battler surviving

That's why Beato had Shannon take out the shrine

Maybe not

Lol the Ushiromiya's need to call 1 800 CASH 4 GOLD

Good Job Eva grab a loving gun

GoldenSlaughter is playing, shits about to get wild

Eva is loving insane

Oh poo poo, I knew it was gonna happen Kyrie is gonna merc all these fools
But Eva doesn't die and crawls to the Kuwadorian. After flipping the switch
How does battler survive. He was remembering Shannon
He must find her later and they take off.

I wonder if Kyrie offs hereself after Rudolf tells her the truth, she probably wanted to leave battler for the explosion

This is why Eva was hiding the truth from Ange, not only does it implicate her but it also makes Ange's mother into a killer
This track is Dope BTW

gently caress off Kyrie you've gone too far now
Killing Sayo

That's the plan using the test from the one game. Who else is left then just Nanjo, Genji, Kumasawa right.

That's why battler was the only one who didn't die on that game
but Eva killed Kyrie in round 3
Eva must take Rudolf and Kyrie out when they try and escape to Kuwadorian

I can't possibly imagine why he chose Asumu over you Kyrie

Dumbass goes for the kick, Die with dignity you useless prick
loving George

So Kyrie told Battler the wrong place so she could end him herself I guess

And Blondie is back

Goddamn kyrie, how'd you get so insane

Hell yeah dude

Why was Lambda there for all of a second though

Lol I got gold text, you can get hosed

Oh man now Ange is here

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 1, 2021

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Took me like half a year to get through House of Fata Morgana, which I loved to pieces despite its (intentionally) overwhelming uncomfortable/horrifying tone. God what a great character story.

Finished Buried Stars in about a week, comparatively, which I also really enjoyed. I was ready to be annoyed with its central premise of "reality tv celebs are stuck in a building with twitter being their only access to the outside world." Instead, its a really gripping story about toxic work cultures in the entertainment industry, how that sort of environment destroys your sense of self, and adding on the pressure of parasocial relationships that are ready to lash out at you a moment's notice. Not perfect, but its a compelling mystery that's gonna stick with me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Goddamn Umineko's got the best credit rolls in videogames

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Goddamn Umineko's got the best credit rolls in videogames

that song gives me chills

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure she even shows up on the store page for the game :shrug:

That was just an example, like for example I more or less know the origin story behind the gold and the family crest, though I could be misremembering. I'm early in Episode 2 now and I sure hope Shannon and Beatrice can continue to hang out and be friends and nothing ever goes wrong!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Procrastine posted:

That was just an example, like for example I more or less know the origin story behind the gold and the family crest, though I could be misremembering. I'm early in Episode 2 now and I sure hope Shannon and Beatrice can continue to hang out and be friends and nothing ever goes wrong!

That is more major, but still not a super big deal in the grand scheme of things. To be honest, I don't even remember the family crest thing .

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

That is more major, but still not a super big deal in the grand scheme of things. To be honest, I don't even remember the family crest thing .

Yeah I'm sure there's still plenty of twists I don't know about to be surprised by. The thing I heard about the crest is the gold had a two-headed eagle on it but half of it got rubbed off. Probably doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things really

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

the salo republic pressed the bars in a cheap wartime press so only half the markings imprinted. kinzo had then recast after he took control and adopted a modified version of the incomplete crest as his own.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 8 spoilers

Man, I get what Battler is trying to do. But, seeing the whole family happy. And him in a loving relationship with Beato is killing me. We could've had this at the end of Ep1 if battler wasn't such a bone head.

That said I'm almost ready to pull a rockman and start rereading because I think that Battler remembered Shannon from the get go, didn't say anything because he's awkward and her relationship with George. And I'm drat sure that most of his hesitation and seeming Naivety in earlier Ep's is cause he realized who "Beatrice" was right away but without the context of her tragic life couldn't understand why she'd do such a thing

Okay Baby Ange and Eva's relationship not being bad at the start confirms to me that Kyrie was trying to make Ange sympathetic to Eva in their final fight. Kyrie didn't have her gun drawn and knew it didn't shoot straight while Eva had her's ready Kyrie knew she was hosed.

Kyrie's gun being off also allows Sayo to survive, combined with Battler's death not being shown and I think that's the real truth. Given the Stories telling of Beato's death on Rokkenjima along with the other two personalities. I assume that with that explosion Sayo's real or new or whatever you wanna call it personality emerged or all of them synchronized or whatever and she adopted a new identity as the woman whose name I'm blanking on.

Battler is weird to me, the narrative device doesn't make sense if he's dead. He has to be writing the Tales with that Woman, Feathrines human form, seeing as he became game master. But he's never met with his sister again. Unless he's actually Amakusa but that's stupid.

I've got three theories, he gets roasted like Kinzo in the furnace or explosion and survives. Don't love it

Two he's lost his memories somehow, and the games are serving a threefold purpose. To get his memory back, to help him understand the hell that was Sayo's life for six years, or to get Ange to seek him out, which ties into...

Three Battler is pulling a Kinzo. Just like Kinzo made the Portrait to draw out Sayo, Battler is using the new games to try and prepare Ange for the Truth of the incident. Eva, Kyrie, and Rudolf were the only real killers and the family destroyed itself over greed. They're pulling a good cop bad cop, Sayo/Featherine showed Ange the Tea Party scene of the Truth, and now Battleman is inviting her to the island to show that despite all their failures and crimes they were still a family, and their was good to be had in the Rokkenjima clan. Perhaps he just thought she wouldn't be able to understand what happened when the poo poo went down. Not that I think that's a good excuse to abandon your six year old sister for.

I type that all up and then Ange starts going off about Eva again, it's like she's not paying attention to her character development or my theories

Motherfuckers 261.5 hours til gameplay, loving mad lad

What the gently caress is happening

I got the drat Sabara question right for the wrong reason, I thought you changed the B to Two T's to make Satella, only in reflection to realize the cake is called Castella. I've never felt my lack of riddle solving ability so acutely.

I feel all this talk of Ange cracking out of her shell like a chick would work better if everyone was riding an elevator

The Nastushi Beato scene was very sweet, I have a feeling poo poo's going to go off the rails after the medals ceremony. I also don't understand what the almonds mean

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 3, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

at what point do i have to actually admit to myself that i'm just stalling like battler playing dead in the room in e6 before getting locked in

It's like there's so much random poo poo coalescing in my mind and I know almost everything, ish-maybe-kinda, and the stuff that I don't understand yet I have kind of an inkling about why, but I just can't put it all together in any kind of way that approaches coherency on literally any level of the narrative.

This almost certainly doesn't actually apply to anything TOO directly but I feel like I had a minor brainstorm this weekend at random while listening to a 15-year-old prog rock album, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV by Coheed and Cambria, which is all about the main character of the previous albums finding out that he's this weird self-insert Original Character Do Not Steal of the actual god and creator of his universe....an unbalanced guy in upstate New York in the modern day who is completely off his meds. Just the different meta-narrative 'levels' of the same character having different goals and knowledge seemed kind of analogous to what I'm trying to ram my horrible smooth idiot brain against until I figure something - anything - out definitively enough to feel like going on to Ep 7.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Partway through Umineko Episode 2:

what the gently caress kanon can summon an energy sword??? what is happening

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Partway through Umineko Episode 2:

what the gently caress kanon can summon an energy sword??? what is happening

(safe for you to mouse over)

october 5th, 1986 was an Energy Sword Sunday

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

dmboogie posted:

(safe for you to mouse over)

october 5th, 1986 was an Energy Sword Sunday

I can't believe you spoiled such a major plot point! They aren't supposed to know about energy sword Sunday until chapter 5! One of the big mysteries is supposed to be how Kanon could afford an energy sword on the budget of a servant, and you just flat out ruined it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

seems like everywhere I go, people are enjoying energy swords.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

at what point do i have to actually admit to myself that i'm just stalling like battler playing dead in the room in e6 before getting locked in

It's like there's so much random poo poo coalescing in my mind and I know almost everything, ish-maybe-kinda, and the stuff that I don't understand yet I have kind of an inkling about why, but I just can't put it all together in any kind of way that approaches coherency on literally any level of the narrative.

This almost certainly doesn't actually apply to anything TOO directly but I feel like I had a minor brainstorm this weekend at random while listening to a 15-year-old prog rock album, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV by Coheed and Cambria, which is all about the main character of the previous albums finding out that he's this weird self-insert Original Character Do Not Steal of the actual god and creator of his universe....an unbalanced guy in upstate New York in the modern day who is completely off his meds. Just the different meta-narrative 'levels' of the same character having different goals and knowledge seemed kind of analogous to what I'm trying to ram my horrible smooth idiot brain against until I figure something - anything - out definitively enough to feel like going on to Ep 7.

If it encourages you at all, Chapter Seven doesn't exactly solve the story for you, but it will give you the tools and framework to help guide your thinking.

It's also very, Very different from the previous ones

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

If it encourages you at all, Chapter Seven doesn't exactly solve the story for you, but it will give you the tools and framework to help guide your thinking.

It's also very, Very different from the previous ones

nah if you want to solve the mystery yourself do not start episode seven yet, period

sure it doesnt spell everything out but it does have huge warning klaxon air raid alarms revealing the culprit 30 minutes into the episode and it gets even more clear as it goes on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dmboogie posted:

nah if you want to solve the mystery yourself do not start episode seven yet, period

sure it doesnt spell everything out but it does have huge warning klaxon air raid alarms revealing the culprit 30 minutes into the episode and it gets even more clear as it goes on

Oh, Yeah Rockman If you don't know who the culprit is then Seven is very explicit

I thought they were more so trying to figure out the closed rooms, the general Metaplot, and the why of the story.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Umineko Episode 2

Sorry Bernkastel but I want to hear more about Kinzo implanting energy swords and shields into his servants and if disproving Beatrice's magic means negating that then I guess I'm with Beatrice? I don't know, I know the meta-plot is going somewhere eventually but right now I'm not really feeling it. Love Lambda's tacky Halloween dress though.

e: The first meta-plot layer where Battler and Beatrice argue about magic and mystery novels is good, the one I'm not feeling is the layer where Bernkastel and co talk to me the reader

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 4, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Umineko Episode 2

Sorry Bernkastel but I want to hear more about Kinzo implanting energy swords and shields into his servants and if disproving Beatrice's magic means negating that then I guess I'm with Beatrice? I don't know, I know the meta-plot is going somewhere eventually but right now I'm not really feeling it. Love Lambda's tacky Halloween dress though.

e: The first meta-plot layer where Battler and Beatrice argue about magic and mystery novels is good, the one I'm not feeling is the layer where Bernkastel and co talk to me the reader

Umineko has got a lot to say, explicitly and implicitly about the genre. Ryukushi has clearly got a real love for the subject.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

dmboogie posted:

I'm not checking GM's response to this just in case but I'm like 99% sure I know the culprit (EP7/general spoilers but kinda sidelong) just due to R07s' love of a particular number in goroawase names. Maybe. I don't know. drat it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So I'm thinking of buying Fate Morgana, the sequel(?) and Raging Loop for the steam sale. Good choices?

Edit: maybe I should add the silver cases games as well.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 5, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Those are all excellent VNs so yeah.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm not checking GM's response to this just in case but I'm like 99% sure I know the culprit (EP7/general spoilers but kinda sidelong) just due to R07s' love of a particular number in goroawase names. Maybe. I don't know. drat it.

My response was that I was sure you already knew the culprit and you were looking to solve the closed rooms, and find the motive. I've got no idea whats up with the particualr number name or anything like that, tbh I skipped passed all the Kanji when Char's were introduced

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Somewhere in Umineko Episode 3:

I feel called out by Beatrice telling Battler to stop thinking and accept the magic fights lol
I guess I just have a contrarian urge to either argue with it or go "yeah, so what?"

I wonder if the red-text that "There are no more than 18 humans on this Rokkenjima" is a red herring, since it's established that Beatrice counts the servants as furniture instead of human. Would that count for whatever rules red-text use? "You are incompetent" would imply Beatrice can red-text what she believes to be true (that or Battler is just objectively incompetent, which I don't know if I can disprove). "Real" Beatrice is confirmed dead anyway so I'm not sure who this opens the door for anyway. "This Rokkenjima" also seems like strange phrasing but that might just be a translation artifact.

Also I'm not convinced Beatrice actually understands Hempel's Raven

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Somewhere in Umineko Episode 3:

Also I'm not convinced Beatrice actually understands Hempel's Raven

I know right? I had to look up what it was but I think I understood it a lot better than a thousand year old witch did

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

My response was that I was sure you already knew the culprit and you were looking to solve the closed rooms, and find the motive. I've got no idea whats up with the particualr number name or anything like that, tbh I skipped passed all the Kanji when Char's were introduced

I wish you had PMs, dude. Just for you to know what angle I'm looking at things from on my currently-totally-stalled reread so you can either nod sagely at your screen or chuckle quietly at my naiveté: (BIG SPOILERS FOR UMINEKO OVERALL MAYBE) I've convinced myself the culprit is Shannon, whose real name is Sayo, ........[further kind of linguistic spoilers for some WTC stuff ahead that might spoil Higurashi if you know stuff, but Higurashi is much less of a mystery than Umineko overall]......

......which can be read as '34', which is a recurring number for villains (or people manipulated by villains) in the WTC stuff I've read so far. Another example from Umineko itself is Lambdadelta, which can be read as 34 in Greek or something but gently caress if I know, I thought Lambda was like the tenth or eleventh letter, I know like four sentences of Greek overall.

It...seems to fit with a lot even if I don't understand why or how yet, though?

ETA: I honestly don't even remember explicitly why I was suspecting her but when it clicked I asked for a reminder of her real name ITT and was loving hype at the answer for the reasons above

ETA2: and genuinely other than some Ep 4/5/6 mystery ~secret background~ stuff that might be going on, I feel like if her motive boiled down to "I was having a terrible day/week/life working for this lovely family and some rear end in a top hat I haven't seen in the better part of a decade walked up and grabbed my titties like thirty seconds into getting reacquainted so I snapped and killed loving all of them" I'd be pretty okay with it.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 6, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

I wish you had PMs, dude. Just for you to know what angle I'm looking at things from on my currently-totally-stalled reread so you can either nod sagely at your screen or chuckle quietly at my naiveté: (BIG SPOILERS FOR UMINEKO OVERALL MAYBE) I've convinced myself the culprit is Shannon, whose real name is Sayo, ........[further kind of linguistic spoilers for some WTC stuff ahead that might spoil Higurashi if you know stuff, but Higurashi is much less of a mystery than Umineko overall]......

......which can be read as '34', which is a recurring number for villains (or people manipulated by villains) in the WTC stuff I've read so far. Another example from Umineko itself is Lambdadelta, which can be read as 34 in Greek or something but gently caress if I know, I thought Lambda was like the tenth or eleventh letter, I know like four sentences of Greek overall.

It...seems to fit with a lot even if I don't understand why or how yet, though?

ETA: I honestly don't even remember explicitly why I was suspecting her but when it clicked I asked for a reminder of her real name ITT and was loving hype at the answer for the reasons above

ETA2: and genuinely other than some Ep 4/5/6 mystery ~secret background~ stuff that might be going on, I feel like if her motive boiled down to "I was having a terrible day/week/life working for this lovely family and some rear end in a top hat I haven't seen in the better part of a decade walked up and grabbed my titties like thirty seconds into getting reacquainted so I snapped and killed loving all of them" I'd be pretty okay with it.

I got pm's if you need someone to bounce thoughts off of.

and to be as non spoiler as possible, ep six has all the answers you need

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

you know with that avatar it's really hard to trust the things you say sometimes

e: screw it as long as i'm re-reading stuff i'ma just install this fanpatch and try it with voices and the ps3 sprites and ADV mode and everything

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 6, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1390117815592513537

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

you know with that avatar it's really hard to trust the things you say sometimes

e: screw it as long as i'm re-reading stuff i'ma just install this fanpatch and try it with voices and the ps3 sprites and ADV mode and everything

It deletes your saves be warned

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

just put a stack of coins on the ctrl key and do something else for a few minutes. you'll get back to where you were in no time.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Really curious what people will think of this. It might be a bit different than what some are expecting. I really loved what I played but it’s quite different than what this team is known for, though the demo might trick people into thinking it is.

The two biggest inspirations for this was It and The Goonies, which should give people an idea what to expect. Also this was made for people of all ages to enjoy. (Again like The Goonies).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Oh yeah I knew that going in and had read the FAQ already but I stalled out hard a few hours into Ep1 anyway, partly due to about four independent catastrophes smashing into my life all at once, one of which has left half of my house including my living room totally uninhabitable for just over two weeks now.

I'd gotten totally grossed out by Horny Battler and just lost all momentum right about at the first family dinner when everything hit the fan, but I figure I can fast forward through whatever I want now that I've got the mod installed, and it's freaking cool. All I had really known about were the sprites and VA but my favorite part so far might actually just be the updated background art, at least from a handful of scenes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

theblackw0lf posted:

Really curious what people will think of this. It might be a bit different than what some are expecting. I really loved what I played but it’s quite different than what this team is known for, though the demo might trick people into thinking it is.

The two biggest inspirations for this was It and The Goonies, which should give people an idea what to expect. Also this was made for people of all ages to enjoy. (Again like The Goonies).

Yeah I'm kinda going in with zero expectations on anything, so we'll see!