Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah that's the one, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm an environment artist in the games industry and lighting has always been painful, time consuming, abstract, and frustrating to get looking right all at once, especially across multiple scenarios (like moving from outside to inside or moving from night to day, etc). A fully real time raytraced workflow has been the unobtanium holy grail for decades, so much so that I still remember exactly where I was when I first saw the announcement headline from Nvidia with the Star Wars stormtrooper demo forever ago.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That video also makes it clear that we're pretty good at picking out little flaws that leave rasterized lighting effects just feeling a bit "off", even when they're well done

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Black Sunshine posted:

It takes me back to the DPPH days before the great file forums purge!

I missed the first few days of gbs freedom a few years ago (even older than “cuck” but famous for “I’m gay”). I remember thumbing through gbs and literally dropping my jaw, because when I was posting before you could get prob’ed for punctuation errors and it was not fun to read the general forums at all, but the sub-forums weren’t as bad. I never really got much DPPH because I was on a slow connection.

I said last night that mod/remastered older games are fun with my new card because they are almost photorealistic on even my 60mhz/1080p TV. Anybody else with a 20xx or 30xx know where some screenshots from older games (even WoW) would be a good source for pc/linux wallpapers? Or hell where atmosphere shots from CyberPunk 2077 or Valheim (sp?) are located? I don’t need a lot, but would appreciate free because I’m saving to buy “Squadrons” and spent all my funbux on my prebuilt.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

I remember thumbing through gbs and literally dropping my jaw, because when I was posting before you could get prob’ed for punctuation errors

Before the probation system, you could get banned for hotlinking an image

But I was too busy gaming on my 8500LELE to post

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Splinter posted:

There were notifications for this drop on Nerdspeak. 3060 Ti/3070/3080 tracking channels all had notifications and gen chat was popping off.

Weird. Must have missed it somehow.

And thanks Nothus!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

oh they're just flat out using hacked machines to do their dirty work? sounds like someone ought to be investigating the scalpers as a criminal enterprise if this is what they're doing

FYI, this has been the thing from the start. Same people botting sneakers and streetwear just added another item to their list.

Any time you find residential proxies, 99.9999% they are straight up hacked machines or "hacked" machines (like someone trying to buy your Chrome extension to add malicious code and push a forced update to all users)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Also basically any free VPN extension. for example

Hola EULA posted:

In return for free usage of Hola Free VPN Proxy, Hola Fake GPS location and Hola Video Accelerator, you may be a peer on the Bright Data network. By doing so you agree to have read and accepted the terms of service of the Bright Data SDK SLA. You may opt out by becoming a Premium user.
Technically the users of Hola are consenting, if you assume every one of them has read the ToS (lol), but I wouldn't be surprised for smaller VPN extensions to break the law

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

CI providers have had to take down their free tiers because people were using them to mine which is kinda nuts

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Also basically any free VPN extension.

Wow, what the hell. Is this why Chrome is taking steps to secure extensions in ways that are making adblockers nervous? It seems pretty obvious to me an extension traffic should be initiated one-way.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

Wow, what the hell. Is this why Chrome is taking steps to secure extensions in ways that are making adblockers nervous? It seems pretty obvious to me an extension traffic should be initiated one-way.

Kinda? It's more an issue of adblockers have stupid amounts of access. Manifest v3's intent is instead of the adblocker getting a copy of all browsing activity and saying "block this based on my rules", the adblocker provides a list of rules to Chrome, that Chrome then enforces, without providing all browsing activity to the adblock extension.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Google are using v3 as an excuse to put the squeeze on adblockers while they're at it though, like there's an arbitrary limit on the number of blocking rules you can have for uhhhhhhhhh reasons

If they extend v3 to cover all the features uBlock needs to work as well as it does now then it's fine but Google has been very deliberately dragging their feet for years now

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 30, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I said last night that mod/remastered older games are fun with my new card because they are almost photorealistic on even my 60mhz/1080p TV. Anybody else with a 20xx or 30xx know where some screenshots from older games (even WoW) would be a good source for pc/linux wallpapers? Or hell where atmosphere shots from CyberPunk 2077 or Valheim (sp?) are located? I don’t need a lot, but would appreciate free because I’m saving to buy “Squadrons” and spent all my funbux on my prebuilt.

Not sure if this is what you're asking for but deadendthrills.com is a source for free great looking game screenshots

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

Google are using v3 as an excuse to put the squeeze on adblockers while they're at it though, like there's an arbitrary limit on the number of blocking rules you can have for uhhhhhhhhh reasons

If they extend v3 to cover all the features uBlock needs to work as well as it does now then it's fine but Google has been very deliberately dragging their feet for years now

Yeah trusting one of the biggest advertising companies in the world to not gently caress with adblockers is pretty foolish. Not that I think anyone genuinely is trusting Google.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:toot:

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/newegg-shuffle-odds

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
"the line is 100,000 people long."

Since when are alt-accounts and bots "people?"

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Citizens United?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Got to micro center about an hour before open, about 15-20 people ahead of me in line. Guess I’ll wait to see if I get any dregs.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Not a Children posted:

Got to micro center about an hour before open, about 15-20 people ahead of me in line. Guess I’ll wait to see if I get any dregs.

Hahah, my local microcenter has 80 people in line this morning. You're doing great!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kunabomber posted:

Hahah, my local microcenter has 80 people in line this morning. You're doing great!

They should just turn Microcenters into vaccination sites

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Not a Children posted:

How did it go? That's not much of a line, and I would think you'd stand a good chance at a 3060 or one of the Radeons, depending on the shipment.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

They should just turn Microcenters into vaccination sites

I mean they technically are? You're getting a microchip in each case.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Time to write a listicle about all the things that are more likely to happen to you than winning a Newegg shuffle

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Kind of a dumb article. "The odds are 0.001%, except not really."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kunabomber posted:

Kunabomber posted:

Holy moly, I might start pointing my friends to this spot then. Unfortunately they only had like 3 Nvidia GPUs - I just went on a whim, wasn't aware of a drop of any kind. Walked away with a 6700 for $815. Woof. But better than nothing.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Dallas Microcenter had a decent-ish drop today, after 3 straight days with 0 GPUs.

At least 5 of the people in that 80 person line I mentioned earlier had been sitting at the store for those 3 entire-rear end days :gonk:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jenny Agutter posted:

Not sure if this is what you're asking for but deadendthrills.com is a source for free great looking game screenshots

Holy poo poo, Jen! How have I been taking screenshots since Crescent Hawks Inception and never heard of this! I’m gonna need a big hdd if the Bitcoin folks keep scalping storage space! Thanks!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

human garbage bag posted:

I mean they technically are? You're getting a microchip in each case.

:tinfoil:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

GamersNexus on everybody stuffing that turkey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXN3Oe5FdRQ

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EoRaptor posted:

GN also did an good piece on some of the problems I've talked about with prebuilts cutting corners in places you don't expect: non-standard motherboards/PSUs/cases with different form factors or connectors so you can't swap in an off-the-shelf spare, lovely cut-rate versions of the parts that underperform off-the-shelf versions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKxBogvUe_c

Won't say that it's not worth it when the included GPU costs the same as the whole PC, but during normal times when the situation is "it costs the same to build as I could get it for built whole, I'll just buy it prebuilt to save a couple hours and get a warranty" then you really should think about getting the parts and building it so you know it's all good-quality parts that perform as expected and you can swap out for a replacement if needed.

(apart from small-time builders using off-the-shelf parts, notably Microcenter and their PowerSpec line)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 1, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Steve is mining *teehee* this thread for content.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hello thread, it's me, the idiot from a month back that was complaining about high GPU temps when I only had a single fan in my case.

This morning I took most of my build apart, installed two Arctic F12 fans into the intake position, and moved the single fan that came with the case into the rear exhaust position (at the same time that I upgraded from an R3 3100 to an i5-10400).

I've only just started to put it through its paces, but so far I'm seeing a good 10 degree drop in GPU temps from the previous use-cases that would push it uncomfortably high.

Thanks for yelling at me and pointing me in the right direction.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hello thread, it's me, the idiot from a month back that was complaining about high GPU temps when I only had a single fan in my case.

This morning I took most of my build apart, installed two Arctic F12 fans into the intake position, and moved the single fan that came with the case into the rear exhaust position (at the same time that I upgraded from an R3 3100 to an i5-10400).

I've only just started to put it through its paces, but so far I'm seeing a good 10 degree drop in GPU temps from the previous use-cases that would push it uncomfortably high.

Glad to hear that it's working out :)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Could be worse, you could have been me and just neglected to clean your dust filters for the two years since you built it. Temps definitely went down a good amount just off that, now I'm not hitting 80 C even at full tilt.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Not a Children posted:

I tried going to microcenter before it opened a few weeks ago and there was a huge line out in front of it with people looking for video cards.

The store owner then came out and told us that they had already given the "GPU vouchers" to a group of people that showed up at 5:30am that morning.

I just gave up on finding a GPU completely and am just going to limp my 6gb 1060 along until 2025 when you can get a MSRP GPU.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I should sell my 3090 and get a cheap used car lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

64bit_Dophins posted:

I tried going to microcenter before it opened a few weeks ago and there was a huge line out in front of it with people looking for video cards.

The store owner then came out and told us that they had already given the "GPU vouchers" to a group of people that showed up at 5:30am that morning.

I just gave up on finding a GPU completely and am just going to limp my 6gb 1060 along until 2025 when you can get a MSRP GPU.

Tbh I'm getting a little concerned with the way retailers and card manufacturers keep doing things, by the time 2025 rolls around today's scalper prices are msrp. Just holding out hope for a massive [redacted] crash that loving obliterates the gpu resale market for years.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 1, 2021

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

The cost of everything is going crazy. The CPI doesn’t show real inflation rates. The poor and middle class are so hosed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Canna Happy posted:

The cost of everything is going crazy. The CPI doesn’t show real inflation rates. The poor and middle class are so hosed.

Perfect time for a stock market crash so we can formally get Neofeudalism underway! :commissar: :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

64bit_Dophins posted:

After seeing the Tustin chair-squatting incident, I went to my Microcenter on Sunday afternoon to find an entire multigenerational family sitting in folding chairs out front.

I wonder if Meemaw ever got her 3080.

EoRaptor posted:

Makes a ton of sense, sadly. I'm slightly less mad at Newegg for their insane combos after having watched this, but also ~95% sure that some product manager at Gigabyte has traded sexual favors to the GPU division to offload all their dogshit PSUs so they can make their quarter.