Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

Queer Eye For The Straight Guy crossover event. They give him a hair cut that doesn't have frosted tips and he takes them for some seriously good diner food. Then I assume a bunch of humanitarian awards.

I would watch this live and record this and then show it to grand nephews and nieces just to be like "these were the old times."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

spookykid posted:

I would watch this live and record this and then show it to grand nephews and nieces just to be like "these were the old times."

Fieri looks like a Muppet became a real boy, but the joke's on me, I like the Muppets.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Guy Fieri has also raised millions of dollars for struggling restaurants and workers since the pandemic began.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Guy Fieri’s biggest mistake was letting smash mouth get away with only eating six eggs

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I give chefs a little more leeway because they're assholes by default. Otherwise all we'll be left with is Guy Fieri, who as far as I can tell is pure happiness.

George Motz seems super cool, but I think he's more of a historian that can also cook.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pastry of the Year posted:

George Motz seems super cool, but I think he's more of a historian that can also cook.

Oh, no. George Motz is a total rear end in a top hat. He readily admits it. He's a **loving terror** on the road. Like I said, he readily admits it. Go back and watch his old videos. The videos between his Hamburger America documentaey and his latest series with his daughter filming show his true self.

I look forward to every George Motz video, but he's an rear end in a top hat.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Duckman2008 posted:

Discovery + is really good. It’s also absolutely trash tv. But yeah, I’m fine with it.

I make no judgements. It seems like they have a lot of content in their back catalog to offer.

But maybe that's the issue? It seems like the successful streaming services are all doing it on the back of original content which Discovery only really has because they pulled their shows from cable and pay walled them.

Everyone is talking about Wandavision, The Boys, and Stranger Things (and so on) and subscribing to see them.

No one is talking about subscribing to Discovery+ for new Dr. Pimple Popper episodes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ziv Zulander posted:

Fieri has said before that he’s not a fan of his look, but it’s part of his brand now and the food network people won’t let him change it

Honestly this story seems too bananas to be true, but Bob Ross only got his perm because he didn't want to spend money on haircuts. Then he got famous and hated his perm, but by then it was part of his brand and he couldn't change it. But in what universe are perms, even infrequent ones, cheaper than basic haircuts?

https://www.today.com/popculture/can-you-handle-truth-bob-ross-famous-curly-hair-was-t102398

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s sort of like when people ask Steve Buscemi why he’s never had his teeth fixed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jennifer Grey fell off the face of the Earth after she got her nose done.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nikki Cox fell off the face of the Earth when her face fell off the Earth and was replaced by a plastic mockup sketched by a police artist.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Ziv Zulander posted:

Fieri has said before that he’s not a fan of his look, but it’s part of his brand now and the food network people won’t let him change it

I don't think I've ever heard him mention not liking his look in any interviews, but I do know that the Bowling Shirt thing was completely accidental. They needed him in a collared shirt and that was what wardrobe grabbed for him. Afterwards, every bowling league on earth started sending shirts in to him and thus it became his new life.

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Mar 25, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Grunch Worldflower posted:

I don't think I've ever heard him mention not liking his look in any interviews, but I do know that the Bowling Shirt thing was completely accidental. They needed him in a collared shirt for and that's all that was what wardrobe grabbed for him. Afterwards, every bowling league on earth started sending shirts in to him and thus it became his new life.

haha i forgot about that

his look probably does make it fairly easy to be incognito in public, it'd just be a hat and a tshirt

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Pastry of the Year posted:

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh, no. George Motz is a total rear end in a top hat. He readily admits it. He's a **loving terror** on the road. Like I said, he readily admits it. Go back and watch his old videos. The videos between his Hamburger America documentaey and his latest series with his daughter filming show his true self.

I look forward to every George Motz video, but he's an rear end in a top hat.

i've been watching all the burger stuff on first we feast recently and i love george, i'll have to go back and watch the old stuff

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

If you like "cooking media personality" gossip you must follow Joe Rosenthal and read his insta stories. he's had a lot to say about Bon App, Sqirl, Clarence Kwan, prince street pizza (and other pizza place drama)...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKrP7Q6jwCc/?igshid=1ikcnktzbxnxk

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yikes

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That bottommost one, lmao

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I am so confused right now, so apologies if these are stupid questions, but (1) is that seriously an actual bon appetit magazine cover, and (2) exactly who is the guy on the cover?

Nevermind the "bon a tit" thing...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I am so confused right now, so apologies if these are stupid questions, but (1) is that seriously an actual bon appetit magazine cover, and (2) exactly who is the guy on the cover?

Nevermind the "bon a tit" thing...

It's a photoshop by Joe Rosenthal about Brad Leone and his uncanny ability to gently caress up fermenting things and showing ppl on YouTube how to breed botulism

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yikes

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1382692707492114442?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol RIP.

Also saw a day or so ago that Arclight is closing all of its theaters. That’s a shame because I had one close to my house that was super nice.

There’s an AMC that’s kinda close but they are tearing that mall down to build condos sooo I guess no more going to the movies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Reuters and AP are making their money by other news orgs just reprinting them (I assume!) so losing people on the website who are usually just clicking through is probably a reasonable trade-off for them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/xor/status/1388247375878266883

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you look at the replies to the Casey Newton tweet it is amazing how many people are simps for businesses.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What is/ was base camp

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

LibCrusher posted:

What is/ was base camp
A software company originally famous for some collaboration/work planning software, but then way more famous for humblebragging about how sustainable and different their company was. Wrote a much read book called 'Rework' which was redefining work but actually had lots of contradictory advice that's just post-rationalisation off having a viable business. This reputation as being a special, good guy company got them a lot of credit and lots of people were enthusiastic to move to their new email service, hey.com, they were able to convince people to get excited about a mail provider like it was early gmail all over again.

Then they entirely contradicted all their own 'cool business' advice and announced sweeping changes to the company via a ranty blog post. "No more politics at work. We are awesome and need to get back to awesomeness. If you don't like it, leave". Then loads of the staff didn't like it and left. Loads of tech people who are still enamoured with all their 'we're special' bullshit then rationalise this by dismissing all the leavers as unproductive SJWs. How they reconcile this with their darling CEOs having originally hired all these supposedly unproductive wasters is beyond me. Company set fire to their goodwill because they didn't want to respond to an internal disciplinary matter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1388554817862348800

This is honestly a pretty good summary of what happened as far as I can tell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I tried their Hey email. It was alright. In the end though, email is kind of dead end product. I don’t email friends and an increasingly large amount of my communications with business are by text or chat. There will always be a need for it, but not one worth $100 a year to satisfy.

Also LOL at the idea that it’s the troublemakers who are leaving. Whenever a company offers these kinds of buyouts a good portion of those who leave are the top performers who can easily leave to go someplace else. They see the writing on the wall and take their very valuable skills elsewhere.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The latest private liberal arts college circling the drain is my own alma mater.

Background: a former member of the college's board of trustees was a known creep and is currently facing criminal charges for sexually assaulting students. The professor who was the faculty representative on the board was not at all happy about the board's response to this situation and has been fighting with the board chair and college president about it. Eventually the professor took his concerns to the rest of the faculty and was able to get them to hold a vote of no confidence in the chair and president. When talking to the press, the professor also mentioned that the president has a habit of making rather tasteless "jokes" about Jews.

Unsurprisingly, the administration is not happy about the whole situation. They found a lawyer willing to say "you can totally fire this tenured professor without due process", so that's what happened.

FIRE posted:

The justifications offered by Linfield’s leadership to the Chronicle are incoherent.

President Davis misses every note:

When asked whether the faculty-handbook procedures had been followed in Pollack-Pelzner’s firing, Davis said that the handbook had “not been updated” and that there are a “number of things in that handbook that are not valid.” The handbook says “Fall 2020″ on its title page, and the most recent update was in January of this year. The president said he was unaware of the guidelines, hadn’t seen the most recent version of the faculty handbook, didn’t know who had updated it, and didn’t believe it had been approved by the administration.

Davis’s answer is wildly implausible on its face and incomprehensibly at odds with the basic conception of tenure. No competent university leader could credibly believe that tenured faculty are at-will employees.

If this were to be credited, Davis — Linfield’s president for the last three years — either did not know that Linfield had guidelines for terminating tenured faculty members, believes that the university has replaced those policies, or believes that the current policies were implemented without his administration’s approval. The employee handbook — every page of which is stamped “Revised December 2020 (by Finance & Administration)” — expressly refers to the faculty handbook and specifically cites the faculty handbook’s appendix laying out the procedural mechanisms for disciplinary action involving tenured faculty.

Prior to the firing this was just a local story. Now it's national news. I'm really looking forward to the college's fundraising efforts switching from "please support the next generation of future leaders" to "please support our legal defense fund".

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

In an interview, Agre-Kippenhan said that Pollack-Pelzner had been fired from the university under his status as an employee, not as a tenured professor, and that the faculty handbook needed to be revised because many of the provisions in it were “not entirely useful.”

Look, it's really quite simple. We understand that our card said "fire target employee" and thus cannot be used to fire tenured professors. However, Pollack-Pelzner was both an employee and a tenured professor, so he did fall within the bounds of the targeting restriction. Wait hang on, I think I might have the wrong rulebook.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol. I congratulate the professor on his future labor lawsuit fortunes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. I congratulate the professor on his future labor lawsuit fortunes

All $50 dollars of it!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Inside the all-hands meeting that led to a third of Basecamp employees quitting

I'm not quoting any of this because you really need to read the whole thing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

having worked in tech, yeah, that all scans. management is all for diversity and inclusion as long as it doesn't affect them personally, and they will absolutely slam every card they have on the table to try to paint themselves as the victims

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Because reactionaries' only move is projection it was pretty hard to parse what had actually happened via Twitter. The tweets I'd seen made it seem like it was chuds who stomped off in a huff.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ultrafilter posted:

Inside the all-hands meeting that led to a third of Basecamp employees quitting

I'm not quoting any of this because you really need to read the whole thing.

“I don’t accept that framing"

:lmao:

loving suck a tailpipe, bro

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because reactionaries' only move is projection it was pretty hard to parse what had actually happened via Twitter. The tweets I'd seen made it seem like it was chuds who stomped off in a huff.

Their biggest Chud did stomp off in a huff but only after they’d scrubbed years of his inappropriate comments from their forums and finally launched an investigation after an employee revolt.

Also, I love funny names, but keeping a company-wide running list of (I’m assuming) overwhelmingly minority names, who are paying your predominately White company actual cash money for services rendered is kinda YIKES.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also, I love funny names, but keeping a company-wide running list of (I’m assuming) overwhelmingly minority names, who are paying your predominately White company actual cash money for services rendered is kinda YIKES.

Then when the employees band together and form a consensus that it's probably time to retire that joke, break up the employee group and scrub all discussion from company communications.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Their biggest Chud did stomp off in a huff but only after they’d scrubbed years of his inappropriate comments from their forums and finally launched an investigation after an employee revolt.

Oh right but the tweets I had seen were written in a way that made it seem like the 1/3 of employees who left were chuds throwing a tantrum (because unknown to me the writers of the tweets were reactionaries projecting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

the holy poopacy posted:

Then when the employees band together and form a consensus that it's probably time to retire that joke, break up the employee group and scrub all discussion from company communications.
Also obliquely punish/threaten employees by taking perks away.