Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hey! I never said that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey! I never said that!

This is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard :colbert:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ban this sick filth!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

all i said was that three-quarters reginald is cool and we should see more of him

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

World War Mammories posted:

all i said was that three-quarters reginald is cool and we should see more of him

You monster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Three-Quarters Reginald is cool and he is my friend!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

feedmyleg posted:

Three-Quarters Reginald is cool and he is my friend!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

those are the worst cartoon hands i have seen in my life

aside from that, the man should indeeed be in prison

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
When your dogs have hooves, hands are low on the list.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They're wearing superhero boots. No comment on the rest of it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Thank you, whoever did me a kindness :glomp:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Thank you, whoever did me a kindness :glomp:

The Prehistory of the Far Side is such a choice rear end book. Gary Larson ftw.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Prehistory of The Far Side: "Look at this weird thing that was more than the newspapers could handle!"
Calvin and Hobbes 10th Anniversary: "God drat, do I hate drawing comics."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CPColin posted:

Prehistory of The Far Side: "Look at this weird thing that was more than the newspapers could handle!"
Calvin and Hobbes 10th Anniversary: "God drat, do I hate drawing comics."

I get that you're exaggerating for comic effect, but I honestly have no idea what statements you're exaggerating. I just remember a lot of stuff about how to write good characters and what worked and what didn't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember one of those books having a foreword about how Far Side comics are super popular with scientists and academics. I remember going around university and they have Far Side comics pinned up the same way you see Dilbert around offices. Especially the ones that involve scientific topics. Something about how the whole sense of humour resonates with the scientific worldview.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember one of those books having a foreword about how Far Side comics are super popular with scientists and academics. I remember going around university and they have Far Side comics pinned up the same way you see Dilbert around offices. Especially the ones that involve scientific topics. Something about how the whole sense of humour resonates with the scientific worldview.

Jane Goodall wrote an introduction for a collection that includes a comic implying she hosed a gorilla.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ikanreed posted:

I get that you're exaggerating for comic effect, but I honestly have no idea what statements you're exaggerating. I just remember a lot of stuff about how to write good characters and what worked and what didn't

It's been a while, but I remember Watterson making a lot of comments about how obnoxious the industry was, how story arcs felt less satisfying, how the additional freedom afforded by the Sunday format he fought for also made those strips harder to draw, etc. Meanwhile, Larson's comments are all "WHEEEEE!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skwirl posted:

Jane Goodall wrote an introduction for a collection that includes a comic implying she hosed a gorilla.

Apparently Larson visited her at the primate sanctuary where he got roughed up by a chimp.

CPColin posted:

It's been a while, but I remember Watterson making a lot of comments about how obnoxious the industry was, how story arcs felt less satisfying, how the additional freedom afforded by the Sunday format he fought for also made those strips harder to draw, etc. Meanwhile, Larson's comments are all "WHEEEEE!"

They do work in rather different formats with different tones and themes, can imagine Larson's style was generally less of an issue.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

They're wearing superhero boots. No comment on the rest of it.

Obviously, the baker is wearing oven mittens with long sleeves so he can reach into the big bakery oven.
And those are just mayor mittens.

How did these become good? Did my brain change?
Also, didn't she decide against going out for coffee?

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 07:15 on May 1, 2021

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Skwirl posted:

In Pre-History of The Far Side, Larson recounts getting an angry letter from her people over that comic, then he met her in person, expecting to get an earful, and she was all, "What? That poo poo's hilarious!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Clitch posted:

In Pre-History of The Far Side, Larson recounts getting an angry letter from her people over that comic, then he met her in person, expecting to get an earful, and she was all, "What? That poo poo's hilarious!"

I'm pretty sure she says the same thing in that introduction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1388381444964331520?s=20

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

cant cook creole bream posted:

As I’ve said, pfsc is a slow burn. It takes a while to hit its stride, but it’s finally there. It helps that, at this point, the comic is familiar and we know what to expect from it. Looking back at the earliest strips, I always get a smile from the one where Paul says that Paris is just another bullshit town.

Yes, that is a plot hole. I don’t know what’s up with that. The comic originally did have mouseover text, since lost to the ages. Maybe they hand waved it away in there, maybe not.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CPColin posted:

watterson is a big crybaby

"woe is me! people keep on handing me huge sacks of money for drawing things"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, he's a great artist who had his preferences for how he liked creating that art and that's fine. He's also a principled guy who wasn't interested in exploiting his art beyond the scope of the work itself. Sometimes—and it is rare—but sometimes people do make the right choices for the right reasons. And I'll cut him a break for that at the least.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I'm in this picture and I do not like it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Watterson's main complaint was that newspapers kept cramming comics into smaller and smaller spaces, so artists kept having to draw simpler and less visually interesting comics. Calvin & Hobbes was popular enough that he could insist on some hard rules about how small newspapers were allowed to print his Sunday strip (and thus other strips on the same page), so he was less affected by the trend than others, but he still Had Opinions about the way the newspaper comics industry was going.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Calvin and Hobbes Sunday strips are the best and he was right to be mad about that.

the other poo poo? Shaddup ur old

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Obviously, the baker is wearing oven mittens with long sleeves so he can reach into the big bakery oven.
And those are just mayor mittens.

there's clearly warm vodka for sale there, come on now

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the main thing I remember from the calvin and hobbes 10th anniversary book is one of the comics of calvin blowing up his school with a caption mentioning the complaints he got, and wondering if those readers ever went to school themselves

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Why did I ask for my drink in a dribble glass??

He's not talking

Get it? Do you get it

This morning I saw the shadows of a couple of FOOLS

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I too would like the spaghetti bucket.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This one makes sense, are we sure Gallagher is okay?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:stonklol: