Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well post this here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-coming-from-port-studio-aspyr
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/kotor-remake-release-date-developer-aspyr-rumors-star-wars-rpg
https://wccftech.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-will-be-an-action-rpg-rumor/
https://www.pcgamer.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-in-development-at-aspyr/

Basically there's been confirmation that somebody is working on a KOTOR remake, and there's rumors going on about it. One rumor is that it'll be an action RPG, which I gotta say, if they change anything, the battle system is the part of the game that slows down the game the most. At the very least, it'd be nice if the whole thing was sped up a lot. I actually really like how some areas in the game can have a nice, slow atmosphere, but just like how it's nice to slow down, you gotta speed things up now and then.

KOTOR 2 had a lot of differences in design philosophy and pacing, but it definitely did have the intention to speed things up in at least one aspect. They took the deep-sea-diving suit from the first game and sped up the walkcycle so it looked goofy but at least didn't take forever to get anywhere.

Kotor 2 has these moments where they're clearly trying to put thought into combat encounters but the gameplay is just too awful for it to work. Like there's a bunch of mines you can defuse or run around, but your party will 100% of the time sprint right into them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Nothing gave me more joy in KOTOR2 than having a whole room full of people itching to kill me and I just press LIGHTNING LIGHTNING LIGHTNING and then they're all dead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
talk about reingofevil

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well post this here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-coming-from-port-studio-aspyr
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/kotor-remake-release-date-developer-aspyr-rumors-star-wars-rpg
https://wccftech.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-will-be-an-action-rpg-rumor/
https://www.pcgamer.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-in-development-at-aspyr/

Basically there's been confirmation that somebody is working on a KOTOR remake, and there's rumors going on about it. One rumor is that it'll be an action RPG, which I gotta say, if they change anything, the battle system is the part of the game that slows down the game the most. At the very least, it'd be nice if the whole thing was sped up a lot. I actually really like how some areas in the game can have a nice, slow atmosphere, but just like how it's nice to slow down, you gotta speed things up now and then.

KOTOR 2 had a lot of differences in design philosophy and pacing, but it definitely did have the intention to speed things up in at least one aspect. They took the deep-sea-diving suit from the first game and sped up the walkcycle so it looked goofy but at least didn't take forever to get anywhere.

Obsidian really didn't have "speeding things up" in mind with that shitshow of a prologue/tutorial.

I like turn-based RPGs, but they really peaked with the Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/etc.). I could see them trying to do a Dragon Age Inquisition style of combat to maintain the original spirit of the first two KOTORs, but I'd rather be sprinting and slashing with a lightsaber or running and gunning with a blaster than doing the Neverwinter Nights style of fighting.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

reignofevil posted:

Nothing gave me more joy in KOTOR2 than having a whole room full of people itching to kill me and I just press LIGHTNING LIGHTNING LIGHTNING and then they're all dead.

As much as the game falls apart at the end, the civil war planet finale that has you running up the wall and just zapping down hapless fools left and right is top tier, probably the most fun the combat system gets in that game. Bonus points for when you kill jedi master boomhauer

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you know exactly what to do you can get the tutorial down to a manageable.... forty five minutes..... Yeesh.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's so bad. It's slow, you've got loving Atton whining at you, there's a ton of backtracking, and it's probably the ugliest and blandest area in the whole game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always get confused because the actual tutorial is you playing as T3 on the Ebon Hawk. Paragus has a couple tutorial screens, but really by that point the story's started. It's just frustrating because of how one of the biggest appeals of KOTOR 1 was being in a big world where you could talk to people and deal with them, while Paragus wants to show off the dungeoncrawling and log-reading aspect of RPGs, which is definitely not what I like about RPGs. Peragus may also be the longest dungeon in the series. It's built around a whole slow suspense story, which is neat, but it loses a lot of its appeal on replaying and it's just not what you expect going in, so it's hard to appreciate fully on the first go.

It doesn't help that Telos is pretty reminiscent of Taris, prompting the comparison of Peragus with the Endar Spire. I guess the pacing is sort of like if Dantooine came before Taris, but also if there were no shops and everyone on the planet was dead.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's so bad. It's slow, you've got loving Atton whining at you, there's a ton of backtracking, and it's probably the ugliest and blandest area in the whole game.

Wrong the ugliest part of the game is the Telos station that's made of boxes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Paragus should have a computer console about eight minutes in where you can free type and if you write HK48 Did It, all the doors open and the sith show up instantly.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I love Paragus, and if I were to remake the game I'd draw it out even more, but with the horror aspects amped up. The only room with working lighting would be the maintenance room with HK in it and the main command room where Atton hangs out. The mining droids would be less 'droids' and more room fixtures and heavy industrial equipment that whirrs slowly to life as the player enters the room, groaning with mechanical life as the very structure itself turns on them. The arrival at Telos would be welcomed in all its banal bureaucratic glory just for the normalcy.

Still a good level as is, though. Probably could have used less repetitive combat, but the Harbinger shows up at exactly the right moment and is plenty creepy on it's own.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Well the new story FP is good and hit me square in the nostalgia so now I'm all horny for the rumoured KotOR remake THANKS Obama BIOWARE

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I put an extra 60 hours into Kotor 2 in a couple of playthroughs to get all the achievements.

I now hate Kotor 2.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
More like dorks of the old republic.

No matter how good the games are, every character in them is a huge dork.

Maybe not canderous

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My OCs are extremely cool you'll find

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Before you stands Darth Implicaticalitus. He's wearing an all metal suit. It's black. You can see his helmet and it's huge. Way bigger than any helmet you've ever seen before. Just massive. It has tubes and things you don't know the purpose of and you can see his piercing black eyes. They aren't his real eyes because you can't see those past the helmet. They're his helmet eyes. And they are black. And they look right through you. You think you're being scanned with the force but it's not like the normal force it's this sort of nega-force. Evil force. This force is really really bad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
No crystal star excerpts in the kotor thread.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I would allow this if it was more Stimpirical.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something I appreciate from Kotor 2 is how the inciting incident isn't actually a Sith vs Jedi conflict, but the Mandalorian Wars. Star Wars so often gets hung up on the conflict between Force users that it was nice to see a "regular" war be the root cause of the current problems (even if Canderous admits that the Mandalorian Wars in the end were just a proxy war encouraged by Sith powers).

It was a good way to poke at the flaws of the Jedi because they're just as capable of screwing up when they aren't engaging in religious wars with the Sith. The games postwar setting was also refreshing. Kotor 2 is all about dealing with the consequences of your actions, and the game world mirrors that by showing the consequences and fallout of big wars in Star Wars in a way that is rarely discussed. You have mass refugee migrations, economic instability, lawlessness, civil wars, reconstruction projects and a general sense of the sheer damage that galactic conflicts have on the everyday people in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People do seem to forget too much that aliens, spaceships, and laser guns can be really cool without making all events center around the mystic monastic order of psychics.

My first thought when I heard the title for the upcoming episode 7 was "they're gonna focus too much on the intrinsically unexplainable mysticism of the force and that's gonna drag down the story", and I was sorta right, although there was also a running B plot involving the rest of the galaxy but it was never really fleshed out well.

The stories that focus on Jedi do best when they treat them as a person first and a Jedi second anyways.