Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also same! In my case I got them because I had impacted canines, which will gently caress up your gums real bad if untreated, so they recommended the most aggressive braces they had so I could get surgery ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Now they're like "Lol, turns out no medieval torture devices were necessary, just pop this invisalign in."

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

AKZ posted:

I think I was provided with the loving first draft version of braces and headgear. I had to wear them for years. The headgear at night locked into two brackets in the braces and then connected to a strap that went over the top and back of my head. Anything but lying flat on my back with my eyes on the ceiling felt like I was trying to sleep with a horse bridle jammed in my mouth. The thick wire ends that went through the brackets would gradually poke farther into the back of my upper cheeks/mouth as my overbite was slowly corrected.

I think we went to the same orthodontist 🦷. I tried and tried to wear the loving headgear, but it hurt so bad I’d take it off in my sleep and wake up in the morning with it wrapped up in the bedding. Probably why I had braces for nearly five years.

I badly needed them though, besides the underbite, my mouth was too small for my teeth and it was either pull four of them or get braces/headgear/retainer. My aunt had the same issue in the Fifties and her teeth got so hosed up they all had to be pulled when she was 27 - nobody had the $$$ for braces in those days except rich people.

Kudos to my non-rejected parents, we had our teen-years issues but they never bitched about the cost. I think watching the hell that my aunt went through made them determined to keep me from going through the same, whatever the expense.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Panfilo posted:

Based on some anecdotes, I can't help but wonder if some of the money spent on some orthodontics would have been better spent on things like sealants instead. For people with weak enamel or deep pits in their molars it pays for itself in the long term with how much decay gets prevented outright. I had one cavity in my whole childhood compared to my peers and it was in spite of goony dental hygiene+diet in my teens.

Straight teeth are nice and in some cases important for dental health, but adressing things like impacted wisdom teeth or swiss cheese molars is far more important.

Sealed teeth here + ortho wizard.

Teeth are decently straight and zero cavities. It got to the point the last time I went to the dentist, that when they saw an x-ray with zero fillings, they asked "oh did you have non-metallic fillings done?"

(I'm not sure what that says about the state of dental health in the US)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

My brother had to get a retainer when he was ten. He was refusing to wear it, so my dad went in to lecture him. Then he started screaming at him. Then he took the retainer he had just paid $2,000 for (which we got to hear about a lot) and threw it in the trash. My poor brother had had this thing for I think two whole days. Neither my brother or I got dental care after that, because we were ungrateful.

v It's not a contest.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 24, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Look at all you fancy motherfuckers talking about going to the dentist.

I got two check-ups before the age of 13 and that was it. I was told I needed braces and probably wisdom tooth removal but no one was willing to invest in those so I grew up never smiling for photos, hiding my mouth when I laughed, and all 4 of my wisdom teeth erupted wrong.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I got two check-ups before the age of 13 and that was it. I was told I needed braces and probably wisdom tooth removal but no one was willing to invest in those so I grew up never smiling for photos, hiding my mouth when I laughed, and all 4 of my wisdom teeth erupted wrong.

I'm sorry. Same, my actual teeth came in pretty well but my wisdom teeth totally screwed with me. I couldn't afford to get them out till I was in my late 20's and had insurance, and it was agony (plus one broke, one went septic, and I had a speech impediment from the busted one for a couple years I think.) Tooth stuff is pretty, pretty bad though.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Nightmare childhood

I kind of figured your parents filled your mouth with broken glass and dead hummingbirds based on everything else you shared.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

AKZ posted:

I kind of figured your parents filled your mouth with broken glass and dead hummingbirds based on everything else you shared.

I kept quiet and never reacted to anything so I didn't get physical abuse much. I became a dissociation pro and that helped keep me safe. My sister got spanked with a wooden spoon at least once a week, she was spanked repeatedly with a meat tenderizer one time. She has BPD and couldn't help but lash out all the time, and my mom's response to her kid crying was "stop or I'll give you something to cry about" followed by a bunch of spanking which is the worst loving thing you can do to someone with BPD, let alone any kid.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

isn't BPD *caused* in large part by childhood trauma, especially physical and emotional abuse and neglect? sounds like your mum gave her poor kid this damage, then punished her for having it, which is triple hosed up

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Fatkraken posted:

isn't BPD *caused* in large part by childhood trauma, especially physical and emotional abuse and neglect? sounds like your mum gave her poor kid this damage, then punished her for having it, which is triple hosed up

Did anyone else’s parent smack them for “misbehaving”, then smack them harder for crying about being smacked in the first place, causing you to scream in pain because you were being smacked and couldn’t figure out what to do to make it stop?

Yeah that was always a bucket of loving fun.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Did anyone else’s parent smack them for “misbehaving”, then smack them harder for crying about being smacked in the first place, causing you to scream in pain because you were being smacked and couldn’t figure out what to do to make it stop?

Yep. "Stop doing the thing that I'm making it impossible for you to stop doing."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My father when he was mad would do a big inhale through his nose, not sure if it was an anger management technique or what, but I knew the moment I heard it, I was in deep poo poo. It was usually followed by screaming, yelling, and spankings.

So now as an adult, whenever someone breathes through their nose loudly, I instantly freeze up, have a moment of panic and ask what I did wrong. Drives my partner insane.

I also got told, quite often by both parents, that I "should be ashamed of myself" for anything thing I did that they viewed as something "bad." Which has been wonderful for my self-esteem and mental health over the years.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Undiagnosed autistic/ADHD/OCD as a child. Usually in trouble for my "smart mouth."

I'd stay as stoic as possible not to give my dad the satisfaction of seeing me cry. He'd just whack me harder.

My punishment was usually being held down, shirt pulled up, lashes across the back with a leather belt.

As an adult, I don't understand how anyone could purposefully do that to a child.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Jin Wicked posted:

Undiagnosed autistic/ADHD/OCD as a child. Usually in trouble for my "smart mouth."

I'd stay as stoic as possible not to give my dad the satisfaction of seeing me cry. He'd just whack me harder.

My punishment was usually being held down, shirt pulled up, lashes across the back with a leather belt.

As an adult, I don't understand how anyone could purposefully do that to a child.

I was also undiagnosed ADHD, also learned to stop reacting and giving the adult baby what he wanted. Didn't matter. He'd keep going regardless if his provocations worked or not, but I kept some dignity. I don't know how he lives with himself with what he's done. The weight of his denial must be crushing.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

ohnobugs posted:

I was also undiagnosed ADHD, also learned to stop reacting and giving the adult baby what he wanted. Didn't matter. He'd keep going regardless if his provocations worked or not, but I kept some dignity. I don't know how he lives with himself with what he's done. The weight of his denial must be crushing.

:glomp:

My parents were pretty awful to me in all kinds of ways.

My mother, in one of her remaining lucid moments before she died, said to me one day while I was folding laundry and taking care of her, "You know, sometimes I feel bad about some of the things... when I raised you."

Just some kind of acknowledgement was all I needed. I just said, "Don't worry about it."

My dad died an rear end in a top hat.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I am not at all surprised so many of us had undiagnosed neurodivergence as kids which led to a nightmare childhood and lovely abusive parents. Probably were labelled gifted children then ended up a big loving disappointment too. I know I was.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Picnic Princess posted:

I am not at all surprised so many of us had undiagnosed neurodivergence as kids which led to a nightmare childhood and lovely abusive parents. Probably were labelled gifted children then ended up a big loving disappointment too. I know I was.

I got my adhd diagnosis as a kid. Didn't help temper my mother though. I feel like it got worse after I was medically certified lazy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Picnic Princess posted:

Probably were labelled gifted children then ended up a big loving disappointment too. I know I was.

YAY for every "Why did you choose to become a teacher when you had the marks to get into Law?" and "You know, back in school you could have been a Doctor or an Engineer if you had just applied yourself a little more." that I have heard over the years.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Picnic Princess posted:

Probably were labelled gifted children then ended up a big loving disappointment too. I know I was.

:raises hand sadly:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Picnic Princess posted:

loving ouch, I felt that in my soul.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Picnic Princess posted:

"Gifted and talented," struggled when I got to high school. Got grounded instead of, you know, any kind of help.

I started teaching myself to build websites in 1998, selling my artwork online in 2001, and I have self-published my comic books and such. Literally taught myself how to do all kinds of things. But my dad was never interested in any of that stupid computer crap. Never read a single book I produced. Didn't give two shits about my art. While planning my mom's funeral, he told me all of his kids were disappointments because he wanted "doctors and lawyers."

Sorry I wasn't the perfect stand-in to feel like you made up for your own shortcomings, Dad.

No wait, I'm not sorry. gently caress you.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Dr. Stab posted:

I got my adhd diagnosis as a kid. Didn't help temper my mother though. I feel like it got worse after I was medically certified lazy.

My mom treated my adhd diagnosis like being diagnosed as retarded (her wording).

I didn't get poo poo for help dealing with it until I was 25. Obviously the doctors and teachers were wrong, as I wasn't stupid.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Not neurodivergent, just depressed and anxious most of my life with ADD in my childhood. I’m still dealing with poo poo in therapy but overall I’m feeling for all of y’all because all of that sounds rough as poo poo for anyone...but for anyone with legit stuff going on who needed a bit of extra love and understanding from their parents, it’s especially rough.

Like I’ve had my problems that I’m still dealing with from childhood, but after reading some of these last few posts I’m sincerely sorry y’all had to go through that poo poo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

this, but without the checkups and with my first ever trip to a dentist being at the tender age of 29 when I found a job with insurance

The flip side though is that I don't have any childhood negative associations with the chair and I'm so relaxed and happy to be there that it really freaks the assistants out when I like, just chill out and take a nap during procedures

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 25, 2021

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

life is killing me posted:

Not neurodivergent, just [...] ADD in my childhood.

You may want to take a look at the latest studies around the ADHD diagnosis. Long story short: it counts as a developmental disability and is neurodivergence.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Sisal Two-Step posted:

You may want to take a look at the latest studies around the ADHD diagnosis. Long story short: it counts as a developmental disability and is neurodivergence.

Yeah, I was going to say, ADD is neurodivergency.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp

Diagnosed in 4th grade, took Ritalin, then Adderall, along with Wellbutrin. I haven’t taken it since other than briefly back in 2018-2019. So if that means I’m neurodivergent then I guess I am.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Picnic Princess posted:

If it helps I was both recommended for slow kids and gifted & talented in my elementary school days. Neither one was done so I both was never helped with whatever derps I had and wasn't given any assistance in using whatever qualities I might have. I got to enjoy being terrified of any grade that wasn't B or higher though and because I look real young for my age being a target for abuse at school too. (I'd show a military picture of me at 18 if it wouldn't seem like attention seeking. But let's just say I got carded to see R rated movies when I was 30. Seriously. Not really drinking and never doing drugs can't explain it. Maybe I'm an alien? If so where are my cool powers or at least a robot Hammerhead pal that sounds like Mr. Belvedere?)

Hell I probably have some form of ADD or on the A Spectrum as it were but it wasn't ever really looked into that I know of or my dumbass mom probably insisted I wasn't so there. Thus I exist in a land of self loathing mediocrity where I beat myself up over everything and only take "solace" that most people just seem happy to be ignorant idiots who refuse to ever admit fault or even acknowledge their own bullshit. (Yes I am incredibly jealous of this. I wish I knew how to do it.)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Picnic Princess posted:

I was the C average "100% on tests, but doesn't turn in homework" kid. I think I've already told the story about my dad being a conspiracist who kept me out of GT so I wouldn't be recruited by the New World Order. My childhood and 20s were a waste as far as laying career groundwork because my ADHD and multiple mood disorders went undiagnosed. Now I work crappy retail gigs trying not to have an episode and lose them. Last job was 7 years, and they pitched me like trash, because the way they tried to ignore COVID and encouraged customers to come in droves sent me into a dissociative anxiety hole. I literally remember my last two months in that place like a zombie movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was thinking of that famous old internet article 'Love Will Be The Death Of Us' and its scathing parody and how it's one of the only times I've seen such an extensive first-person account written in complete myopic narcissism with so little recognition that other human beings have sentience and feelings of their own aside from almost the entirety of Rejected Parents.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I think I might be the odd one out in that I wasn't born neurodivergent and was a relatively happy/smart kid until I developed C-PTSD/kleptomania/depression/etc etc due to child abuse, and THAT got me pulled out of all my smart-kid classes, my mom started being ultra mean to me, and nobody ever really took me seriously because someone that crazy can't be smart. I got into a Top 20 college after my high school counselor literally told me not to apply because I wouldn't get in. (I did, however, drop out after being sent to a mental hospital for anxiety :haw:) I still work on my depression and PTSD and poo poo but holy hell people give up on you EARLY if you are a "fuckup". I vividly recall a memory where my 2nd-grade teacher gave the entire class a lecture on how, specifically, they should not turn out to be like me.

Captain Rufus posted:

But let's just say I got carded to see R rated movies when I was 30. Seriously. Not really drinking and never doing drugs can't explain it. Maybe I'm an alien?

This is funny, I'm almost 30 and I got carded for a pack of cigarettes last year. Aliens unite!

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
For me, it was not getting a diagnosis of severe dyscalculia until I hit grad school, which led to constant screaming fights with my parents from k-12 about how I could do well in every class BUT math (because of course it meant that I just wasn't trying there, for some reason).

Anyway, today I bring you professional rejected parent Beth Bruno. I found her via this medium piece https://bethbruno2015.medium.com/ , in which she details ruining her daughter's wedding as a learning experience for her, the poor mother. Other great hits include "Should Reconciliation Always be the Goal?," where the buried lead that her one daughter has been estranged for a decade comes to light, and "Losing My Daughter When She’s Still Alive," which holy hell that title. Reading of the 30+ articles she has written about her daughter cutting her off reveals a lot of missing stair information, a ton of "but I!" statements, and a constant refrain of "I'm over it, BUT."

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Mother's Day weekend loving blows. My dad called to warn me to wish my mom a happy mother's day, phrased: "You'd better wish her a happy Mother's Day, or....[trails off, long silence]". (I haven't spoken to my mom since she declared for the fiftieth loving time that she doesn't want to be my mom any more). I love being threatened into sending niceties

On the other side of the cookie, I got a really nice message from my older cousin a couple weeks ago on Trans Visibility Day that said she loves me and is proud of me and would like to visit sometime after the pandemic. :3:

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Mother's Day is a non-event for me. My mom's dead and my stepmother is an unrepentant narcissist. And I'm probably never having kids so...

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Mother's Day weekend loving blows. My dad called to warn me to wish my mom a happy mother's day, phrased: "You'd better wish her a happy Mother's Day, or....[trails off, long silence]". (I haven't spoken to my mom since she declared for the fiftieth loving time that she doesn't want to be my mom any more). I love being threatened into sending niceties

On the other side of the cookie, I got a really nice message from my older cousin a couple weeks ago on Trans Visibility Day that said she loves me and is proud of me and would like to visit sometime after the pandemic. :3:

Your father has no right to make these sorts of demands. People who don't live up to the role don't get mother's day wishes. I hope your weekend rules in spite of them.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Mother's Day weekend loving blows. My dad called to warn me to wish my mom a happy mother's day, phrased: "You'd better wish her a happy Mother's Day, or....[trails off, long silence]".
. . . or he'll be miserable because he's her target now that you're gone.

eta:

FearCotton posted:

Anyway, today I bring you professional rejected parent Beth Bruno. I found her via this medium piece https://bethbruno2015.medium.com/ , in which she details ruining her daughter's wedding as a learning experience for her, the poor mother. Other great hits include "Should Reconciliation Always be the Goal?," where the buried lead that her one daughter has been estranged for a decade comes to light, and "Losing My Daughter When She’s Still Alive," which holy hell that title. Reading of the 30+ articles she has written about her daughter cutting her off reveals a lot of missing stair information, a ton of "but I!" statements, and a constant refrain of "I'm over it, BUT."
I read some of her articles before my free article limit ran out and, holy poo poo, she shared something her non-estranged daughter had written basically saying "You're the best mom and the only time you're not the best is when you're worried that you're not the best." So at least one child knows exactly what mom wants to hear and is willing to give it to her.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 2, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I’m thankful that my dad understands how to text, and can ping me a week in advance to tell me which variety of gift card is most pleasing…in a way my mom can’t intercept and get weird about, because my mildly (but not disastrously) paranoid dad deletes all his texts and emails as soon as they arrive. “So they don’t jam up any incoming messages,” he says, as if the internet cloud whatever the gently caress isn’t a thing? I stopped trying on this topic a decade ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, if your lovely mom likes to read his text history that doesn't seem paranoid at all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FearCotton posted:

Anyway, today I bring you professional rejected parent Beth Bruno.

I want to set this woman's sweater on fire. While she's wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
trying to get a friend out of his abusive parents house and OH BOY has it been a big series of lovely crises and challenges

we're in the final week stretch here, plane ticket's already bought, all he needs to do now is a couple more trips to stores for shipping things and getting meds etc, then take an uber to the airport.

so his mom says she wants the car keys. for no reason. he says no and time moves on. now they have apparently installed a loving club on the car so he can't use it. what the gently caress.

this whole thing's been a giant stress on everyone and i really hope we can pull this off without further issue but god drat. if it comes to it we'll just fuckin get him a hotel for the last few days so he can remain unfucked with.

ofc these parents have stated their desire for him to move out several times yet now that he is attempting to they're loving with him anyway.