Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hammerite posted:

it just occurred to me that if that chia poo poo takes off, people will probably find ways to exploit free file storage services like dropbox and we'll all end up having to pay for that poo poo. gently caress cryptocurrencies
On the plus side, a non-zero knowledge cloud provider can see that kind of activity and ban offenders. If chiabrains use something that piggybacks on their existing cloud accounts like Boxcryptor, they're still going to trip the same kinds of alarms that lead to Microsoft clamping down on people using OneDrive as a full backup system.

I pay for Microsoft 365 so I get 1TB of space, and an additional TB is $10/month. How does the cost curve for chia look on that kind of price plan, assuming coiners are smart enough to distance it from their real Microsoft account (new CC, phone number, VPN cut-out, etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eeyo posted:

from what i can tell the ssd is only useful for generating the data in the first place, so if it becomes a thing the platter drives will probably see a larger percentage increase in cost, since you’re most interested in $/TB.

ah fair the synopsis i read was stressing speed above all

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shumagorath posted:

On the plus side, a non-zero knowledge cloud provider can see that kind of activity and ban offenders. If chiabrains use something that piggybacks on their existing cloud accounts like Boxcryptor, they're still going to trip the same kinds of alarms that lead to Microsoft clamping down on people using OneDrive as a full backup system.

I pay for Microsoft 365 so I get 1TB of space, and an additional TB is $10/month. How does the cost curve for chia look on that kind of price plan, assuming coiners are smart enough to distance it from their real Microsoft account (new CC, phone number, VPN cut-out, etc)?

I don't know enough about it and I don't think there's a chia-to-dollars exchange rate yet - I don't believe any trading platforms support it. but mere lack of economy to their activities hasn't stopped cryptocurrency enthusiasts in the past

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

quote:

Do say: “Remind your friend that magic mushrooms are a class A drug in the UK.”

Don’t say: “Next time, forget the dandelion, concentrate on bitcoin – it will all become clear …”

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: judicially sound object notation

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1387801377062203392

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

niocttub

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Why would the original NFT seller retain a 10% commission on every subsequent sale? They can't even do money-laundering by art right.

Also, I would really like to know what the New York Times defines as the "original". The credulity of these journalists never ceases to amaze

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1387993822567665667

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

hang on a sec, is a chia blockchain even up and running and processing transactions, or are people already losing their minds and bidding up hard drive prices just because Andreesen Horowitz threw some money at a goddamn whitepaper?

also the bittorrent guy is behind it, apparently

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crypto Mining Simulator

quote:

Realistic Mining simulator with custom builds mechanics! A lot of GPUs, CPUs, Motherboards, RAMs, SSDs, PSUs and more! Build your dream farm with 1000+ GPUs!

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
grow beets not butts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

URL grey tea posted:

grow beets not butts

porque no los dos

time for some tabata squats y’all

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
so do the chiacoins come out of the terracotta hedgehog or what? im confused

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdjKiUqD28

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:chanpop:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
bitcoiners love writing mycrimes.txt

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1387927482645442562?s=21

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
$ cat mycrimes.txt
Roger Stone

$

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like how even Roger Stone had enough sense to say "Bitcoin, nah, send me a wire transfer."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1387278714845597698

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

this guy is dumber than paul graham, which i thought was impossible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in case anyone's not following the story, the "apolitical company" just had over a third of their workforce summarily quit in response, so it's going great so far

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

whats an apocalyptical company?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

it's where you found a company and pretend to be revealing deep hidden truths but instead are only showing your entire rear end

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

sounds like if you agree with the founders/ceo political leanings that's "apolitical" but if you disagree then this is clearly a political/social matter not suitable for the workplace

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

i mean certain classes of people are just inherently political, for example...
  • the two races: white, and political
  • the two genders: (cis) male, and political
  • the two sexualities: straight, and political
  • the two classes: upper middle class, and political
  • the two politics: radical technocratic centrism, and political (extremist)
and so on

political people should not have their viewpoints brought up in the presence of a technoking (may his taxes ever be zero), lest the technoking (may he never glimpse a poor) be offendedly distracted from creating™ jobs™

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1596310/Crypto_Mining_Simulator/

i bet this installs a real miner on your computer too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kw0134 posted:

sounds like if you agree with the founders/ceo political leanings that's "apolitical" but if you disagree then this is clearly a political/social matter not suitable for the workplace

buried deep in the list of things they're getting rid of to streamline and de-politicize the office was a diversity committee so I mean, yes

also this was all in response to the CEO getting owned in the company slack so hard he threw a massive public tantrum

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

and so on

political people should not have their viewpoints brought up in the presence of a technoking (may his taxes ever be zero), lest the technoking (may he never glimpse a poor) be offendedly distracted from creating™ jobs™

in this case I believe the Political Race was "asians" which is at least a little change of pace i guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Grace Baiting posted:

and so on

a techbro is an 1890s gilded age robber baron with concomitant social views? i'm shocked, shocked to hear that

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shame Boy posted:

also this was all in response to the CEO getting owned in the company slack so hard he threw a massive public tantrum

Would love to learn more about this.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

gschmidl posted:

Would love to learn more about this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966528

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

why does the bitcoin have a cartman voice

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hammerite posted:

why does the bitcoin have a cartman voice

Both are round sociopaths.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My favourite part of that episode is when Litecoin dies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paladinus posted:

My favourite part of that episode is when Litecoin dies.

lmao you watched it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Midjack posted:

lmao you watched it

You can't prove it, unless you watch it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Midjack posted:

lmao you watched it

they made it too