Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Woke and found the PS5 power save didn't keep Returnal open, rip my maxed proficiency.

So I started a challenge and I have to restart again because the first door is bugged and won't open. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

This game got a lot less frustrating when i realized i could go back to the ship at the beginning and sleep to recover health, and use all the recovery items to increase max health. Maybe I’ll be able to beat Phrike one of these times now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Of my 4 attempts at Phrike, the only time i could even make it to P3 was with the Electric Pylon Web gun. The Mini-Gun and the Assault Carbine felt like they were doing absolutely no damage even at *3 compared to my *2 Pylon Launcher. My actual kill was with a huge integrity buff as well as a huge medkit AND I got the parasite that gives a 25% to not use up your consumable and it popped during the fight. All luck.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I’ve found that all the bosses require you to play much more defensively than regular mobs/areas. I’m up through boss 3 and every one has been a huge bag of health - you’re not supposed to burn them down.

I was ramming my head against B1 too until I forced myself to slow down and pay attention to the patterns and not focus so much on non-stop shooting.

Now the third boss is just a never-ending fountain of gently caress you I’m sure will take me hours to finally power past.

Edit: someone said somewhere that Biome 2 should have been the intro and I kind of agree. It’s definitely the easiest of the first three areas aside from the severed enemies and the boss is way easier than boss 1.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 1, 2021

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I beat Phrike on my first go thanks to the astronaut figurine but I feel like its patterns are easy enough to dodge. It's the melee attack that's the real killer, at least to me. Still, if you can see it coming, you stand a pretty good chance at dodging it.

I got a parasite yesterday that made it so that it took one fewer resin to increase my max health in exchange for taking one more kill to raise adrenaline and god drat I hope I get that again.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

A big knock on console gaming is the lack of button binds. Returnal has you ADS with a light tap and do a secondary fire with a hard click.

This game reminded me of how you can bind two actions to a button through haptic feedback. I'm stoked about that. Big knock about consoles was the lack of "keys" you could bind.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Phrike's melee targets in Z, too, so if you draw or see the melee and hop/melee yourself he'll swipe underneath you and miss. Easier said that done, of course.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Of my 4 attempts at Phrike, the only time i could even make it to P3 was with the Electric Pylon Web gun. The Mini-Gun and the Assault Carbine felt like they were doing absolutely no damage even at *3 compared to my *2 Pylon Launcher. My actual kill was with a huge integrity buff as well as a huge medkit AND I got the parasite that gives a 25% to not use up your consumable and it popped during the fight. All luck.

I managed to beat Phrike my first attempt using the sidearm with horizontal barrage thanks to the astronaut figurine

still barely scraped by, it was a loving rush

I have a friend in town who's staying with me for a few days, he's sleeping on my couch right now and I really wanna wake that fucker up so I can play some more Returnal

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Three runs in a row and not a single non pistol weapon before the boss. gently caress off.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I just got an artifact that heals you 5 percent of the damage you deal per adrenaline level so I cannot wait to see how this run goes catastrophically wrong.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

After a long and deliberate slog I finally got got by the first boss of the second iteration. I almost had him too :mad:

I hope I didn't lock myself out of anything like glyphs from the original biomes since it looks like I'm not going back there any time soon.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 1, 2021

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
You can change the controller layout in settings to classic so that alt fire is L1 plus R2 - it removes the adaptive trigger system completely. Changed it and never looked back.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Finally beat phrike… and it appears once in the crimson wastes you can no longer go back to the ship to regain health. I need my training wheels back :/

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah I was wondering how to get back to biome 1 from biome 2? I’ve only been there once though and didn’t get too far.

Did you all do the daily challenge from the ship console that unlocks after you get to biome 2? That challenge is not hard. It’s so a single biome run and rank on points. Gaining points the fastest comes down to not getting hit and scooping up every bit of obelite, and making sure you explore every room. There is no boss. The gun you get to use is some incredible gun I really hope gets into the regular pool. Holy poo poo does it annihilate everything in its path. It took me about 30 minutes to get through to the end and I got the 5 ether reward which is very good! I defo recommend doing this challenge before it goes away.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am loving terrible at this game wow.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Put together a hell of a run for myself then decided to forego a Biome 2 push and instead fought Phrike again, so I could plug in the Datacube I found and unlock some stuff to make my next runs easier (as I'm understanding Datacubes). I lost with very little health left on the boss. Huge bummer but I feel like this is going to be my path forward, full runs in Biome 1 with the goal of simply finding Cubes and unlocking.

Am I understanding the Cubes correctly? They make new weapon perks or other become able to be available in my plays?

If you already beat Biome 1 but do so again without a Cube in your inventory, will you be given one again right after beating Phrike?

I need to know because aside from a remap of the Melee and getting used to that, Idk how much I can do to give myself any advantage moving forward.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This game is really tilting me. Time to take a break. I have no idea how you're supposed to deal with some of these rooms when you're in tight quarters with the bats loving flying at you, the beam tentacles monsters shooting at you, a yellow shooty boy shooting his homing rockets at you and slowing you down, and oh yeah sure spawn in a red dog too that's awesome. Not even in an elite room - the game seems to be ramping up difficulty but I'm not getting any better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Logged in to the daily challenge for the cool weapon and bonus ether!

Door in the literal first area is bugged and won’t open.

I am locked out of today’s challenge.

:smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i ran into the locked-door bug on a normal run. restarting fixes it but i don't know what sets it off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

i ran into the locked-door bug on a normal run. restarting fixes it but i don't know what sets it off

According to the internet it could possibly be tied to the Digital Deluxe Costumes?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I wake up outside my ship. I go inside my ship and into the cockpit. I see a prompt to take a seat and so do. Astronaut right outside the busted windshield straight chillin' and we engage in a staring contest which I win by way of forfeit as Astronaut refuses to remove their helm. I get out the seat, Astronaut is gone, and I exit the ship. I sprint to the door of the crash room to begin a run but it won't open.

Real talk, I think that was an ending and that I beat the game. :shrug:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

That would explain why my roommate sees the bug (twice now) and I don't. I use the default outfit and he uses 3.0

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’ve been using 2.0 and didn’t have that bug.

For those struggling, I can’t imagine what your play style is but seriously, fighting in a more stand off approach, not rushing into the rooms, bugging the hell out when enemies surround you. When you enter a room you should do so slowly, use the scanner to get the red echoes of where all the enemies are, start thinning the herd from a distance. Make sure you are exploring everything. Don’t risk picking up malignant stuff at all really. It’s rarely worth it. Make sure your dash and melee are on the right buttons (L1 and R3, respectively) and do not aim down sights unless you are firing at something far off. Keep that left finger on L1 to dash.

I have not died hardly at all and find the combat challenging but perfectly fair. Sometimes I get swarmed by bigly enemies but I dash away and conserve my alt fire for their loving face and end them. A really important function is that melee attacking staggers an enemy. So the way I approach the tree guys or the big red dogs is once there’s an opportunity to get in their face I melee them, which staggers them, then alt fire and mag dump.

I think the most important currency hands down is ether. Save it all up since it transfers between runs and can be used at the weird device near your ship to unlock some very potent devices. Can be used to lock in one save point per biome for 6 ether at the machine with the imprint of a sentient in it. Don’t use ether to cure malignant objects. It’s just not worth it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bought this, made it to the first boss, got my rear end kicked, and remembered I don't actually like Roguelikes. But I spent $70 so I'm sticking with it. Are there any good beginner guides for this yet?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Nemesis is my first hard wall. That's just a long-rear end boss fight with a ton of poo poo going on, and I've been having trouble making it to the fight with enough resources to just power through it. Got him all the way to P3 and it's just a lot of plates spinning at that point.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Second boss seems easier than the first (unless zone 2 has multiple? Stopped last night after beating the guy)

Am I missing something or is there no way to reenter the farmhouse after the first story sequence?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Second boss seems easier than the first (unless zone 2 has multiple? Stopped last night after beating the guy)

Am I missing something or is there no way to reenter the farmhouse after the first story sequence?

It's based on progression. I'm pretty sure you get a new house sequence after beating each boss.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I posted this in the PS5 thread, but I wanted to post it here too to see if people agree with me or if my opinion here is garbo. This is currently how I'm feeling though.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like Returnal would be so improved by the items you find just being better or the risk/reward factor being more uh, rewarding potentially.

Almost everything you find adds some micro buff. The items and artifacts can be helpful but they rarely feel game changing in any way. Most of the malignant stuff feels not worth it because the bonuses you get are so small for potentially awful side effect. Expanding your health bar is slow and on nets you a whopping 5% bonus. Meta progression stuff is so slow it's really easy to feel just sort of trapped like I'm not really making any notable progress. I'll find those cubes but I can't get to the machine because there isn't one or it's locked behind an upgrade I don't have... The parasites are probably the most interesting because they can add some pretty good buffs. Some of the negatives just comically outweigh the positive, like why would you ever pick up some of them lol. At least they are up front, unlike malignant stuff.

I respect that they want you to get good at the game. I think games like Hades and Dead Cells actually suffer from too much meta progression. Like, you hit a point and the game becomes more about what condition you reach the end boss in vs worrying about actually getting to him. I can't remember the last time I played Hades and didn't get to Hades. Which I think gets kind of dull in it's own way. After a while it feels like you've just bought your way into winning via a time investment and it becomes more of a grind than a skill based thing. Which I think ultimately gets sort of boring.

Returnal has the opposite problem though imo. Just give me something to be excited about. Let me find stuff that actually feels cool to find. It feels like I am just picking up crumbs all of the time. You clear out some of these rooms full of tons of enemies and a lot of the time the best case scenario is finding enough health to walk out in the same condition you went in. I'm not saying I want the chance to end up with some ridiculous op build but I do want that next risk to feel worth taking. And I think stuff like parasites being significant game changers would be welcome. Instead of garbage like "chance to not use a consumable/dash and melee cooldown are tripled" how about one that doubles my damage but halves my health? Stuff that is hard to resist but comes with a big drawback.

Overall Returnal being so afraid of going big on anything is my one huge problem with it. It's making runs feel too samey and it can make the game more exhausting than fun sometimes. It frustrating because basically everything else about the game is perfect. But I think the whole balance of rpg elements feeling so off and it drags it down a lot.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You're one day in and haven't even beaten the first boss. I'm not sure thoughts on progression are necessarily super relevant just yet, mono.

That said I do agree the incremental stuff never really feels like enough, but I do find whichever gun I end up with dictating my playstyle, rather than buffs and debuffs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

You mean restarting the run? I just got it as soon as I got a integrity upgrade and a decent gun and felt good about facing Phrike...

If it means scrapping all of that, well, I will likely be back but, right now? I am just gonna play something else.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah I only agree in that so far permanent upgrades seem very scarce. But I haven’t gotten very far and there’s a lot of empty slots in the permanent column. I think there’s some permanent weapon perk upgrades happening as well. Also, everything you find once gets added to the pool and is easier to find the next time. I think the parasites have a lot of very interesting gameplay changing perks. The two I have this run both increase total health by a lot as well as score health on kill. The downsides to both are that malignant malfunctions are a lot worse and harder to remove. So, I’m just not picking any malignant anything up. Last go I had a parasite with health on kill but I couldn’t use any health pickups in the ground. What a bitch that was sometimes but the health I got back per kill was a lot and I could roll almost any room with it.

I think we will all learn a lot more as the game goes on. I hate to imagine it’s something we are supposed to totally understand or beat in one day. lovely games for the past year have just made us all too antsy and inpatient to know if we’ve bought a turd or not. Stick with this one it’s a real good one for a change.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just to confirm this locked door bug is where you are just trapped in a room, the doors aren’t opening, and you can’t interact with anything?

EDIT: And...entirely due to habit I just closed the game :doh:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 1, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve been using 2.0 and didn’t have that bug.

For those struggling, I can’t imagine what your play style is but seriously, fighting in a more stand off approach, not rushing into the rooms, bugging the hell out when enemies surround you. When you enter a room you should do so slowly, use the scanner to get the red echoes of where all the enemies are, start thinning the herd from a distance. Make sure you are exploring everything. Don’t risk picking up malignant stuff at all really. It’s rarely worth it. Make sure your dash and melee are on the right buttons (L1 and R3, respectively) and do not aim down sights unless you are firing at something far off. Keep that left finger on L1 to dash.

I have not died hardly at all and find the combat challenging but perfectly fair. Sometimes I get swarmed by bigly enemies but I dash away and conserve my alt fire for their loving face and end them. A really important function is that melee attacking staggers an enemy. So the way I approach the tree guys or the big red dogs is once there’s an opportunity to get in their face I melee them, which staggers them, then alt fire and mag dump.

I think the most important currency hands down is ether. Save it all up since it transfers between runs and can be used at the weird device near your ship to unlock some very potent devices. Can be used to lock in one save point per biome for 6 ether at the machine with the imprint of a sentient in it. Don’t use ether to cure malignant objects. It’s just not worth it.

Good tips, thanks. I don't use the scanner nearly enough, I didn't even realize it showed enemies. My issue with melee so far is that I usually seem to get hit when I go in to use it since so many of the enemies, even the basic ones, have very quick and hard hitting melee attacks themselves and are usually in groups. As far as not aiming down sights, don't you find this really hurts your ability to focus down groups (of which most enemies in the game are found in)? I find if I don't ADS I end up with 8 bats flying around at 20% health.

I'm going to stick with this, though it will probably be a 'couple runs a day' kind of thing rather than big sessions, at least until I figure things out more. It really is a very interesting, unique and inventive game, so I do want to see what happens.

I will say though, I want the fuckin grapple upgrade. Seems like every other side path room at this point is that one that's just a broken bridge with the grapple point on the other side.

Also, I restart when I get that first room that's the stairs and the dropoff so you can't go back to the ship. That's just needlessly mean.

edit: also, for a game that is already making you feel bad at every moment, the adrenaline mechanic is just a step too far for me. It just is so deflating when you take one hit right before the boss and lose it.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 1, 2021

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

VanillaGorilla posted:

Nemesis is my first hard wall. That's just a long-rear end boss fight with a ton of poo poo going on, and I've been having trouble making it to the fight with enough resources to just power through it. Got him all the way to P3 and it's just a lot of plates spinning at that point.

That's where I'm at right now. Phase 3 isn't really all that hard, it's just that the two full-length Cave shooters that precede it kinda drain your resources.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
melee attacks do not stun the red dogs as far as I can tell

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

hit'em in the face

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Everything that happens past Nemesis is so cool and the buildup and execution of the fourth boss fight are awesome. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Consumables of the same type stack by the way, or at least the ground spikes one does. Sure wish I had tried that before biome 5 lol. Damage Siphon is top tier so far, it gives you health back for damage done until you get hit twice, no duration limit as far as I saw. Having a pocket full heal for the last phase of a boss goes a long way.

eb: The automatons in that room are real pains in the rear end, you definitely want to keep your distance in that room and use the ramp ledge and wall as sight blockers for the big chaingun attack. You can run perpendicular and avoid most of it but the tracking gets better towards the end so you have to break line of sight or dodge double back to avoid getting hit. Having a weapon with shieldbreaker to pop the turrets or the electropylon to apply damage and hide helps a fair bit, and remember you don't take damage if you grapple around.

Worst enemy is still those drones in the third area, the tracking on their rockets is far too good and their kamikaze attack gets me every time. The challenge room in that biome is by far the deadliest part in my runs so far.

kiss me Pikachu fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 1, 2021

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Shlapintogan posted:

That's where I'm at right now. Phase 3 isn't really all that hard, it's just that the two full-length Cave shooters that precede it kinda drain your resources.

The room before the boss is apparently a motherfucker every time. Last run it had two giant mech enemies and a bunch of little ones and shielded turrets.

Makes doing repeat runs on the boss rough because if you show up anything less than completely strapped up, you’re done.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

something it took me a while to learn: the purple blob plants have a chance to drop a parasite if you walk over/shoot them. i got into one of those oubliettes with a bunch of them on the floor and thought the game hosed me until I walked out with like three whippy boys clinging to me

the "reduced malignancy chance" parasite should say "drastically reduces malignancy chance." i opened three very high chests in a row last night and got no loot transmitted diseases at all. cue everyone yelling at me after they try it and get a case of space crabs immediately

and i really dig the shortcut mechanic. if i'm op i can fight the boss for more loot, or if i feel weak i can just skip them and still maybe make progress with a couple drops.

The Walrus posted:

edit: also, for a game that is already making you feel bad at every moment, the adrenaline mechanic is just a step too far for me. It just is so deflating when you take one hit right before the boss and lose it.

adrenaline is awesome to keep up throughout a level for proficiency and obo purposes but doesn't do a whole lot vs bosses imo. better overload and a better melee can help (if you can get close without having your face burned off), but the other three levels don't do anything unless you beat the fight without getting hit and good fuckin luck at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah adrenaline is definitely a "nice to have" thing but you can beat bosses at 0 adrenaline. The game isn't expecting you to beat bosses without taking a hit.