Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Uthor posted:

Tap the chat icon in the upper left?

(it was the last thing I could try...)

This was the answer. What a stupid UI decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Truly awful UI change.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In Docs, there's a hamburger menu that has a "shared with me" section that seems like an obvious solution for Photos, maybe in the library section?

They're obviously trying to get people to remember that you can chat in Photos.

(my mom is the only person who uses the chat feature as that's how she knows to share a photo with me, but she doesn't check for replies, so I gotta text her back)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really sad that they've screwed around with Photos so much: it went from something with an incredibly simple, uh, 'mission statement', and an incredibly simple UI, and they've just soiled it. Everything about it feels over-stuffed.

Uthor posted:

They're obviously trying to get people to remember that you can chat in Photos.

Shame how they originally made a fuss about how Photos was spun-off from Google+, but now they really really really want to be Instagram instead so it's back to failing at being a social network.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Speaking of, is there an easy way to automatically back up the pictures in Photos? I have the stuff on my phone get automatically uploaded into Photos but I didn't know if there was a way to basically auto download them onto my PC. It'd be nice to keep everything synced automatically.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Honestly the chat in photos is probably the only sensible shoe horning a chat into a thing they've done

If the mrs sends me a cat pic its nice to be able to reply with a quick message directly to it. Its not likely to be a conversation I'm ever going to need to look at again but it saves swapping out into another app

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does the Android swipe navigation play nice with third party launchers like Nova launcher now, or is that still broken? Running on a Pixel 5 with latest public Android OS if that matters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does the Android swipe navigation play nice with third party launchers like Nova launcher now, or is that still broken? Running on a Pixel 5 with latest public Android OS if that matters.

Works fine for me though I imagine if you use launcher gestures that it may not work as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The only issue I have (Nova and Pixel 2) is when I swipe up to go to the home screen, I need to wait a split second after the screen redraws to tap on something. If I don't wait, it will reopen the app I just left. It's acting as if the app was animated away but is still technically in the foreground and when my finger touches the screen, it brings that app back into focus.

Not sure if it's Nova, the phone, the fact that I have animations set to 2x speed, or what.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

The only issue I have (Nova and Pixel 2) is when I swipe up to go to the home screen, I need to wait a split second after the screen redraws to tap on something. If I don't wait, it will reopen the app I just left. It's acting as if the app was animated away but is still technically in the foreground and when my finger touches the screen, it brings that app back into focus.

Not sure if it's Nova, the phone, the fact that I have animations set to 2x speed, or what.

I don't have this problem on a Pixel 4XL, standard speed animations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pixel 5, latest public non beta Android, been using Nova for a very long time now with Google's gestures. Works great.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They opened the gestures up to the non-pixel launchers at some point. Don't recall when, but third parties aren't blocked from them like they originally were.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Cool, I guess I'll finally force myself to make the switch. I don't use any custom launcher gestures, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks guys.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Not sure where to post this, but anyone have any idea what might cause these "generic" android icons in my "switch between running apps thingy"? Note 10+, android 11, oneUI 3.1 and Nova Launcher. I can't figure out what to google because I don't know if the app switcher thing is part of android, part of one UI, or part of nova launcher...

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

cr0y posted:

Not sure where to post this, but anyone have any idea what might cause these "generic" android icons in my "switch between running apps thingy"? Note 10+, android 11, oneUI 3.1 and Nova Launcher. I can't figure out what to google because I don't know if the app switcher thing is part of android, part of one UI, or part of nova launcher...

Yeah that's part of OneUI's task switcher. Click the triple dots on the right of the search bar up top and then Settings. Unselecting "Show recommended apps" will get rid of them.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Edward IV posted:

Yeah that's part of OneUI's task switcher. Click the triple dots on the right of the search bar up top and then Settings. Unselecting "Show recommended apps" will get rid of them.

Thank you for this post! I don't have a problem with it not showing the icons, but I wasn't sure how to turn it off, because I didn't know what it was called.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I am trying to get all of the images from the whatsapp conversation with my wife. I can get all of them except for basically everything before a certain date in 2016. Like I can see a fuzzy version of the picture and if I open it up in a new tab it's basically a thumbnail. And it's not in local storage as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I got a new phone around then, but I can't really remember. So are all the pictures lost to the sands of time then? I've tried using my phone and WhatsApp web.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bollig posted:

I am trying to get all of the images from the whatsapp conversation with my wife. I can get all of them except for basically everything before a certain date in 2016. Like I can see a fuzzy version of the picture and if I open it up in a new tab it's basically a thumbnail. And it's not in local storage as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I got a new phone around then, but I can't really remember. So are all the pictures lost to the sands of time then? I've tried using my phone and WhatsApp web.

Are you manually saving these? If so, have you tried the export function?

https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/chats/how-to-save-your-chat-history/?lang=en

It may not work for you if you have too many messages, but maybe worth a try.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

incogneato posted:

Are you manually saving these? If so, have you tried the export function?

https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/chats/how-to-save-your-chat-history/?lang=en

It may not work for you if you have too many messages, but maybe worth a try.

Tried the export and it was like the last 25 images. I've basically gone through each image to make sure it loads, then bulk saved them from the media section, but before a certain date it doesn't really load.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

bollig posted:

I had this same issue. Even in the backup, the images before a certain point were low rez, like thumbnails. I never worked it out - maybe the changing phone thing is it? Be interested if you find a solution

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

nonathlon posted:

I had this same issue. Even in the backup, the images before a certain point were low rez, like thumbnails. I never worked it out - maybe the changing phone thing is it? Be interested if you find a solution

Yeah I think this is the end of the line.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to the few goons who recommended Pushbullet to me. It really is the best way of getting files seemingly without degradation back and forth between my phone and PC.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I thought we'd all switched to Join a few years ago cuz Pushbullet was doing something shady, or started charging for basic features or something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought we'd all switched to Join a few years ago cuz Pushbullet was doing something shady, or started charging for basic features or something.

AirDroid started doing shady stuff, Pushbullet just started changing for Universal Copy Paste, Dark Mode, Mirrored Notification Actions, unlimited texting (instead of 100/month), and 1GB max size per file when transferring instead of 25MB.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm using Dukto to transfer stuff, which is both free and cool. Also multiplatform.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So all the Chrome tab group bullshit looks like it's compulsory now and I hate it. Is there any work around or should I do the right thing and find a new browser?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't found one. The one article I saw from earlier in the year didn't apply.

I'd be on Firefox, but it poorly renders one of the two websites I visit most often, so I stop using it after a couple of hours.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

So all the Chrome tab group bullshit looks like it's compulsory now and I hate it. Is there any work around or should I do the right thing and find a new browser?

You should be able to disable it via flags, though I don't remember which exactly. Unless my chrome needs to update and take away how I disabled it or something. It goes back to the old big cards stacked on top of each other tab view, not just nuking the tab grouping itself.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

vivaldi is basically better chrome, on both android and desktop

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

sourdough posted:

You should be able to disable it via flags, though I don't remember which exactly. Unless my chrome needs to update and take away how I disabled it or something. It goes back to the old big cards stacked on top of each other tab view, not just nuking the tab grouping itself.

An update hit and the flags no longer do anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sourdough posted:

Mine reverted to the small tabs a while ago and started automatically tab grouping today. Two of the flags are still disabled, but I think the other flags are now missing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

An update hit and the flags no longer do anything.

:rip:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chrome mobile seems to think I want every new tab opened as a group and I don't. How do I go back to just opening tabs as tabs?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

See every single post above you on this page.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Uthor posted:

See every single post above you on this page.

Did you expect me to click to the newest page before post?!

But uh yeah looks like I'm making a switch to something else because tab groups are dumb

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Am I the only one who basically never uses the tab page in chrome on android

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Am I the only one who basically never uses the tab page in chrome on android

Yeah I didn't know any of those changes happened because I also don't bother with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How do you keep 42 open tabs you aren't ever going to get to reading?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Actual answer, I'd never need to switch between more than 2 or 3 tabs, and I swipe the address bar to do that

Anything involving more than 3 tabs I won't be using my phone to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Any good apps for seeing what's using your battery up? Preferably free.

There's a million battery apps and I have no idea which one is good.