Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I use the "no traps" cheat from the tweak pack but force myself to bring a thief along anyway for fairness's sake. Sure, I miss out on the excitement of inching forward and waiting for six seconds and/or quicksaving every other step, but it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Eldoth and Skie are way too late in the game to ever make it into my party so I don't know much about them but the wiki entry for him is pretty funny.

I guess he has a hygiene problem? He tells Shar-Teel that women are only good for making cookies and babies? Half of the potential party members will murder him at some point?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Eldoth and Skie are way too late in the game to ever make it into my party so I don't know much about them but the wiki entry for him is pretty funny.

I guess he has a hygiene problem? He tells Shar-Teel that women are only good for making cookies and babies? Half of the potential party members will murder him at some point?

Xan: I would grieve for Eldoth if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I keep getting Eldoth confused with that Bard you meet in the first town who sells you out to the sorceress.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Skwirl posted:

I keep getting Eldoth confused with that Bard you meet in the first town who sells you out to the sorceress.

Garrick is a friend :colbert:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Garrick is also an early extra wand user.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sebzilla posted:

Garrick is a friend :colbert:

unkitted bards suck so much in low level ad&d though, so I never used either heavily.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Unkitted bards are probably the third most powerful unkitted class in BG1 simply because they can use wands.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bike tory posted:

Unkitted bards are probably the third most powerful unkitted class in BG1 simply because they can use wands.

I'm very bad at remembering to use consumables.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Garrick has a sidequest in BG1NPC where he gets some bard armor you can upgrade at Sorcerous Sundries.

Seeing as how I was playing a bard last game, I absolutely took him along for that quest and used it myself!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You get 8 wands of fire for free over the course of BG1. Use them. Wands of frost ain't bad in BG1 either if you don't mind losing the loot (or if the critter has no worthwhile loot to begin with.) Wands of paralysis can and do trivialize very hard fights like Karoug and Taugosz.

Use wands.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wands of paralysis will also affect basically anything. Sarevok and each of the TotSC superbosses, at least, can be trivialized if you take enough shots to overcome their magic resistance.

Plus sorcerous sundries will keep you loaded up on wands of fire from chapter 5 and all the way through SoD if you've got the cash.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GorfZaplen posted:

Xan: I would grieve for Eldoth if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.

Also this is one of the funniest lines in the game.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

This may be controversial but wands belong unidentified and on the ground.
Don't use consumables.
Use renewable magic only, rest often.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's nuts. At least pick them up and sell them if you're not gonna use them! :mad:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I consider consumables in any RPG to be an affront against players, since clearly no decent person would ever use any of them, so why would the devs include them other than to annoy conscientiously looting players with additional inventory management and dead weight.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah my usage of consumables is to sell them.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Not using consumables builds character and it made me a man I am today.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
But... the game showers you with consumables. I use and even buy more of them and I still end up with more gold than I know what to do with.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i devour consumables on Baldurs and Icewind constantly. The game constantly beats the snot out of me, I'll use everything I can against it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m just surprised there are Gamers out there who are so proudly anti-consumable, while I myself struggle with chronic consumable underuse and try so, so hard to remember to use them...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Finally using consumables actually made this game fun to play and people who refuse to use them are deranged.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Play however you want; video games are a leisure activity.

Personally loading my crew up with wands of fire and various fireball potions feels like bringing a grenade launcher to a knifefight. That is fun for me. As also is struggling against a bullshit overpowered boss only to find a way to totally shut them down and cheese them to death. Yes maybe I could legitimately take down Aec'letec with enough gaze protection and proactively curing his ghoul affliction, but gently caress that guy, he doesn't deserve a fair fight.

I also got bored trying to figure out the Demogorgon and just left him to rot. That is a perfectly legit quest resolution. You do you, though!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Use potions of magic shielding. All of Aec'letec bullshit abilities (paralyze, silence, death gaze) allow for a save and those potions make all your saving throws automatically succeed. They last 3 turns (30 rounds).

The wand of paralyzation also works on him.

Have fun!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I'm saying I could do the former, but I think he's bullshit enough that I don't feel bad about doing the latter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I’m just surprised there are Gamers out there who are so proudly anti-consumable, while I myself struggle with chronic consumable underuse and try so, so hard to remember to use them...

For me personally when I said I didn't use consumables it wasn't because I was against using them, it's because I always forget to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Me too, but I pretend it's a principled stand instead.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I only ever use consumables on boss fights since I know they will be "hard" which usually makes them the easiest encounters. I killed the demon knight the other day and I had buffed so heavily that I killed him before he could even get his first dispel off. I had to reload because I killed him so fast I didn't even get to use the mirror.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

You aren't supposed to use OR sell consumables, you hoard them for when you 'really need it' and finish the game with an inventory full of them.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Don't you know that there's an even more giant crab just over the horizon?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do you guys also never drink healing potions and just rest after every single damage-inducing encounter?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wands and other charge items aren't really consumables, because you can sell them to a shop and then buy them back and they'll be fully charged again.

Potions on the other hand...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Do you guys also never drink healing potions and just rest after every single damage-inducing encounter?

Guilty.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
God forbid you sell all your wands to that guy in the sewers then steal them all back fully charged, then sell back again, then steal, then se... Wait why am I wasting my time with this when I can just console my lazy rear end some gold

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This is what you're supposed to do isnt it? Potions are for mid-combat heals

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I can never get the wand of paralysis to stick on aec telec or sarevok. I know it technixally can work but it seems like they make their save too many times. I use it on dwarven doom guards and other stuff a lot though.

Sarevok and Aec'telec I usually pelt with acid arrows... actually a lot of my late game enemies are probably half dissolved with acid, which is pretty metal.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
After a greater malison (maybe doom on top of it?) a couple of wand shots usually suffice. It's not like mages have anything better to do vs Sarevok and Aec and the battle is immediately over when it sticks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Don't you know that there's an even more giant crab just over the horizon?

People wouldn't by so quick to use all their peas on the Giant Robot Crab if they knew about the Even Bigger Giant Robot Crab just over the horizon.

(I am a serial hoarder)

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 3, 2021

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Traxis posted:

You aren't supposed to use OR sell consumables, you hoard them for when you 'really need it' and finish the game with an inventory full of them.

This is true, at least in the mid to late game. In the first part of the game I use them whenever I feel like it. Don't think I've ever run out, but I know I've expended the charges on a wand or two in BG1 for sure.

Now arrows of slaying? I have used one exactly once. Unsuccessfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I managed to beat Baldur's Gate 1 with SCS back in the day. The only reason I was able to beat the last boss was that I hoarded all of my Arrows of Dispel. Otherwise I might have been stuck there. SCS is no joke either, there's like 10 Arrows of Dispel in the whole game.