Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nostalgamus posted:

This thing is hanging around on my ceiling. Presumably been hibernating - there's still snow outside (Norway).

Looks like some kind of green lacewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm guessing something related to mayflies, maybe? Or some kind of mantid?

I could be way off, and am totally unfamiliar with Scandinavian insect life.

Edit: Yeah, looking at it pictures it does look lacewingy.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, that's a California scrub jay. I'm not sure about Washington, but down here in Oregon we rarely get standard blue jays. Lots of scrubs and Steller's, though. The scrubs are a different genus than blues and Steller's, and in my experience have different personalities. I have a family of scrub jays that know to land on the tree outside my front window if they want peanuts.

Growing up, we'd go camping out by the redwoods and the jays there would land on the far end of our picnic table and scream at us until we tossed them bits of our breakfast.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Growing up, we'd go camping out by the redwoods and the jays there would land on the far end of our picnic table and scream at us until we tossed them bits of our breakfast.

Were they scrubs or gray jays? Gray jays are renowned as camp robbers, and make the prettiest noises I've heard from a jay.

Scrubs are capable of making some very nice noises - they just generally don't. They do this funny grumbling/grunting noise, mostly when they are hassling each other, which I'm also fond of. But I have, very rarely, heard a scrub jay sing and it's actually quite nice.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nostalgamus posted:

This thing is hanging around on my ceiling. Presumably been hibernating - there's still snow outside (Norway).

Huh, we've just gotten a ton of lacewings here in NC too.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Were they scrubs or gray jays? Gray jays are renowned as camp robbers, and make the prettiest noises I've heard from a jay.

Scrubs are capable of making some very nice noises - they just generally don't. They do this funny grumbling/grunting noise, mostly when they are hassling each other, which I'm also fond of. But I have, very rarely, heard a scrub jay sing and it's actually quite nice.

Scrub jays! Didn't realize NorCal had more than one variety!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It took at least a week, but the blue jays near my house have found the window-mounted bird feeder we set up :woop: . Now I and the cats can enjoy these handsome devils up close and personal.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Spotted in Bangor, Maine. Fisher? Muskrat? It was pretty big!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 26, 2021

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Looks big for a muskrat, I've seen a few fishers around Southern Maine though

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not a muskrat, the tail is furry.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

kinda looks like a woodchuck to me, though the fur is a bit dark

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

free hubcaps posted:

kinda looks like a woodchuck to me, though the fur is a bit dark

Oh this might be right, I mean they can be melanistic, yeah?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My first thought was "varmint."

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Oh this might be right, I mean they can be melanistic, yeah?

they can apparently! not sure how common it is

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That looks right. Guess it was just a lucky find!

Thanks as always, CQ thread!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I dunno, I still think "dwarf wombat/devil hybrid" is the best fit...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
A pair of pileated woodpeckers has been making a nest in our local dog park and I've been enjoying the show:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What are these guys?

If it helps, this is in SoCal.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Nice photos! Maybe young larvae of the fall armyworm?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

A pair of pileated woodpeckers has been making a nest in our local dog park and I've been enjoying the show:

That flying sawdust is pretty cool! Do they build up a pile and puff it out all at once?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

That looks close enough, and I have seen such moths around here, so I will let them be. Thanks!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Stickman posted:

That flying sawdust is pretty cool! Do they build up a pile and puff it out all at once?

It looked that way. He spent a bunch of time in the tree, then tossed out some sawdust, then left the hole to inspect his work. (The subtle red mustache indicates that it's the male).

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any idea what these are? They've got a bright red belly if that helps. https://imgur.com/gallery/bGpd3Qj

Edit: I'm stupid. Western Washington region

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 30, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

some little creepers from the last few days.

Seek app says the first one is silver-spotted tiger moth, and the second one is western tussock moth

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I didn't get a picture of the tiny little mommy bird that flew out of this nest when I poked it to figure out what this pile of stuff is on the extension cord I wound up last month in the garage, but there's at least five tiny eggs in there. I wish it wasn't inside the garage but I think we're going to let it stay for now. I think it's a finch or a sparrow but I didn't get a good look. Perhaps I'll feel less kind when the peeping starts but this is what's going on now and I'm not sure they'd survive outside. Not sure how it's getting food and water but it's a very small bird so I'm sure it's found a little entryway somewhere. Maybe I'll set up a motion camera sometime later when I haven't scared the bird so recently.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A chaffinch joined me for breakfast. Must've done this a lot, no fear at all. Declined to jump on my hand, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Winklebottom posted:

A chaffinch joined me for breakfast. Must've done this a lot, no fear at all. Declined to jump on my hand, though.

I envy you. Turning into a disney princess. Sorry about your lovely parents / step parents

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I envy you. Turning into a disney princess. Sorry about your lovely parents / step parents

They're actually quite nice. Might be why he declined the offered hand, didn't want to give me delusions of grandeur.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I haven't seen any Red Eared Sliders in my pond for a couple of years and today I saw two babies, so apparently we do still have adults in there. Unfortunately for them the log they're hanging out on has an 18" Snapping Turtle living under it. I wish them luck. Unfortunately there was only one when I went down to feed the fish:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been subject to a rat invasion, and it's really early for this bullshit but I think construction/landscaping across the street displaced them. All of a sudden my birb feeder was turning into a clowncar just after dark every night. I trapped 8 and my dogs caught two, both of which were holed in in really bad hidey holes in the yard in the daytime, which I think supports my theory that these rats were recently homeless and new to the yard. In any case I seem to have defeated the first wave & won't post any pics.

https://i.imgur.com/BJU0z2n.mp4
my fat squirrel friend has taken to just laying in the food while he eats it

https://i.imgur.com/Z4TGpEy.mp4
(unmute) I've also got a pair of crows coming around for apples and dogfood, but they're still pretty skittish.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

poverty goat posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BJU0z2n.mp4
my fat squirrel friend has taken to just laying in the food while he eats it

He is magnificent in his gluttony :allears:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Saw a Tawny Frogmouth recently, don't even know how I spotted them.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Nothing too exciting for me lately, but I was buzzed by some crows on a recent walk:

I also caught an absolutely staggering number of geese heading north:

It's amazing how loud they are despite being so high up that they're barely visible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shamelessly crossposting

Leperflesh posted:

There's shitloads of geese at this park year-round, so there's sections of path that are covered in goose poo poo of course. They're still kinda cool birds, these ones aren't aggressive so you can like walk past them without being assaulted.

Lots of turtles out today

We see cormorants here often, today a couple were sunning.

Birb

Blue dragonflies

There's a shady spot where there's tons of these guys. Yesterday we thought they were tadpoles but today we got a better look and they're fry.

There's a second lake close by, we check it out on the way home. Today there was a mama duck with six ducklings going diving

While we were standing there this lady comes over with a cardboard box and adds two goslings to the water. We're like, huh? but she's waving at geese across the lake and two of them come jetting over. Turns out she was getting out of her car on the other side of the lake and her dog chased away the parents, so she scooped them up and brought them over here. Parents arrived in less than a minute to corral up their babies. Pretty nice of this lady to be concerned, she was obviously upset that maybe she'd hosed things up but we all kinda cheered as they came over (there were a couple people fishing who saw too).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's amazing how loud they are despite being so high up that they're barely visible.

wow, that must have been really amazing to watch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uh oh, watch out, you're about to get caught in some disaster movie's prologue

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Actually the second dekay's brown snake I've fished out of the switchgear here.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted a few days back with pictures of a nest a bird made inside the garage on a shelf. She's going to be left alone, but I was concerned that maybe she had built it with no way to get in or out and we keep the garage door closed most of the time. So, I set up a camera to make sure that things were okay. Good news, she seems to be fine and I think it's probably a Carolina Wren. So now I'm spying on birds with a security camera. Sorry about the watermarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuqZCV1YjEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0I0jhSySE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9L4b54X8Gw

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiyZmQhuM4w

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Was checking my window in preparation of putting in an AC unit in a few days when I opened it up and saw a bunch of these bugs.

Does anyone know what they are and what they're after? Sorry for the lovely pics but they scatter before I'm able to get too close.

They seem like they may be active all day, though are for sure active night into morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Rexxed posted:

I posted a few days back with pictures of a nest a bird made inside the garage on a shelf. She's going to be left alone, but I was concerned that maybe she had built it with no way to get in or out and we keep the garage door closed most of the time. So, I set up a camera to make sure that things were okay. Good news, she seems to be fine and I think it's probably a Carolina Wren. So now I'm spying on birds with a security camera. Sorry about the watermarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuqZCV1YjEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0I0jhSySE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9L4b54X8Gw
Carolina wrens are absolutely notorious for building nests in weird human places. Just from your first pic I figured that's what it was. Thanks for being a good host! If you want to give them a hand (especially in winter), dried mealworms or unsalted peanuts would be a hit.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 5, 2021