Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
There are some things I swear I've only ever made work using etcher. Would be good if it could show you the equivalent dd etc commands for what it's doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
ty for telling me about dd's progress bar lol i did not know about that. i think etcher is fine but balena is definitely what is wrong with software today

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

carry on then posted:

thankfully i never have to use dd but this is exactly the experience of using the unix environment on z systems and it's obnoxious

glad im not the only one to deal with this. ibm implemented posix just enough to pass certification and then stopped. their default sh is braindead af but at least there's a tcsh

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just send it SIGINFO, bing bong so simple since FreeBSD 1.0 in 1991, probably even decades earlier

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dd&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=FreeBSD+1.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html posted:

If dd receives a SIGINFO (see the ``status'' argument for stty(1)) signal, the current input and output block counts will be written to standard error in the same format as the standard completion message. If dd receives a SIGINT signal, the current input and output block counts will be written to standard error in the same format as the standard completion message and dd will exit.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

a fractal is infinite by definition, they're defined recursively. you could just say fractal

i just noticed that in the title and thought i'd share ty

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you are using JavaScript to burn a disk just get the gently caress out of here. There's no excuse.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 1, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Broken Machine posted:

a fractal is infinite by definition, they're defined recursively. you could just say fractal

i just noticed that in the title and thought i'd share ty

wow good catch, butter submit a change request

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thread title is referring to an unending representation or depiction of a fractal. like where you keep zooming into it and seeing all of the things your wrong about in lunix

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
dd is cool and good but sometimes you don't have a nice dd-able image and have to resort to the bullshit 'better make sure i have a gpt partition table and oh better set this bit to bootable or whatever' so i have occasionally used unetbootin but usually things seem to support dual efi/bios booting anyway

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

computers are supposed to make things easier for people to do, so a javascript ui for something like dd with a graphic icon of an sd card is fine imho, despite js being lovely.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
has anyone made a nice electron wrapper for the prestige yospos experience yet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

anyway. electron people are like “this is a godsend for productivity. here’s my implementation of dd. if you don’t like it you probably have some growing up to do.”

this reminds me a bit of linux people who complain about precious megabytes of disk space if e.g. your software uses a library rather than reinventing the wheel

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

this reminds me a bit of linux people who complain about precious megabytes of disk space if e.g. your software uses a library rather than reinventing the wheel

this is part of why i hate alpine lunix so much

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Progressive JPEG posted:

i don't wanna be one of those guys, but at the same time 64 to 175 megabytes (depending on platform) to distribute a very simple dd wrapper because it has to be bundled with an entire loving chromium web browser is a bit excessive

electron bad

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUsDk8wjRPs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

this is part of why i hate alpine lunix so much

i don't have much of an opinion about alpine itself but musl is slow buggy trash

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

musl is slow buggy trash

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i don't have much of an opinion about alpine itself but musl is slow buggy trash

but it's simpler and more readable than glibc ergo it's better

this is what terrible programmers actually believe

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m so mad about this software that works

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s simple, why aren’t you all using this utility with an arcane command syntax that has a high chance of ruining your computer if you don’t type exactly the right thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Musl is fine except for its memory allocator. If you replace the memory allocator with tcmalloc or mimalloc etc then the performance difference versus glibc is erased.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
or you could just use glibc like everyone else uses/builds and packages and tests with instead of going all gentoo on individual components of a libc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s simple, why aren’t you all using this utility with an arcane command syntax that has a high chance of ruining your computer if you don’t type exactly the right thing

Listen dude. I need to save 10 mb of memory on my 32 gig system. Used ram is wasted ram after all.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Last Chance posted:

if big buck bunny sits under a tree on Linux does it make a sound?

Speaking as someone whose day job is Linux based TV set top boxes, yes, it does. Big Buck Bunny is our standard test stream and at this point I'm rooting for the evil squirrel to win.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Speaking as someone whose day job is Linux based TV set top boxes, yes, it does. Big Buck Bunny is our standard test stream and at this point I'm rooting for the evil squirrel to win.

do you play lots of tux racer?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BobHoward posted:

i don't wanna be one of those guys, but at the same time 64 to 175 megabytes (depending on platform) to distribute a very simple dd wrapper because it has to be bundled with an entire loving chromium web browser is a bit excessive

electron bad

yes. yes it is.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BobHoward posted:

electron bad

Tghis

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i installed a python script in a docker container last night and the image was like 175mb

i was furious and ending up murdering my wife and loving a parrot

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i bet the same electron complainers are the same peeps who refuse to buy an m1 cos the base ram is 8gb. yet here i am using electron without melting down on my 8gb m1 MBA and being sexy and rich

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

while ranting:

i have two electron apps open at all times, vscode and slack, and they are solid as a rock while outlook, ppt, excel poo poo the bed regularly

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i'm assuming m1 silicon has hardware js acceleration

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Electron would be slightly less offensive if there was a cross platform html5 embedding api so that we didn't have to have a dozen copies of chrome and could just have a single syatem-managed copy of chrome.

But then our pwoducts would be abwe to bwock ouw ads uwu

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sapozhnik posted:

Electron would be slightly less offensive if there was a cross platform html5 embedding api so that we didn't have to have a dozen copies of chrome and could just have a single syatem-managed copy of chrome.

If you install them via flatpak don't they effectively do that on Linux?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

psiox posted:

i'm assuming m1 silicon has hardware js acceleration

all modern ARM chips have hardware JS acceleration :yayclod:

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/dui0801/g/A64-Floating-point-Instructions/FJCVTZS

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Musl is fine except for its memory allocator. If you replace the memory allocator with tcmalloc or mimalloc etc then the performance difference versus glibc is erased.

musl is trash, sorry about your bad opinion

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

i installed a python script in a docker container last night and the image was like 175mb

i was furious and ending up murdering my wife and loving a parrot

wait which filesystem do you develop on, again?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Glad we have this poo poo and not fast unaligned memory reads what a great architecture, truly the future of computing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if I were ever reading some data I would simply naturally align all the individual data elements. it's that simple.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

Java was right all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

In the future, many of the world's running machines will be physical implementations of the JSVM + ASIC hardware for the DOM. Web development will be bare metal. Your browser will be an OS.

Impressively, on a complete technicality, this switch makes LISP machines a non-meme.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 2, 2021