Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

American McGay posted:

I'm one of the few people in the world who has absolutely no problems with the current AppleTV remote.

I don’t love it but it works fine for me and always responds how I expect it to. That’s all I ask for in a remote. I think it serves its purpose and nails a classic Apple minimalist design but I have a feeling I’ll like the new one quite a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’ve never had a problem with it but you can’t say there are some definite improvements that could be done to enhance user experience. The new remote pretty much takes care of them from what it seems.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Apple remote annoyed me sometimes, but my wife absolutely could not stand the touchpad input (and lack of mute button). So we switched to using the regular TV remote with HDMI-CEC, which worked better than I expected but presented some annoying control quirks in some apps. Like you're out of luck if an app function expects a genuine side-click (rather than a left/right directional input), and recognition of discrete rewind/fast-foward/previous/next/pause inputs seems to be all over the place between apps. And this particular TV remote (Sony A8H) doesn't play nice with my Samsung soundbar, so I'm stuck pulling out a seperate remote anyway if we're using that.

And of course there's the well-documented Murphy's law of the ATV remote. In the dark, somehow, you WILL pick it up in the wrong orientation 100 percent of the time. Often flinging the progress bar 20 minutes across the screen in the process.

Some other third party remotes almost got it right but you'd almost always be limited to line-of-sight options in those cases. I even tried one for a while with one of those IR extenders... it worked but it added an unfortunate layer of jank to the intended pure Apple TV experience.

This new remote seems like it will solve every remote issue we've ever had. Can't come out soon enough!!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 29, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

I'm one of the few people in the world who has absolutely no problems with the current AppleTV remote.

Honestly , it never bothered me, but I will say they really improved it with the first 4K Apple TV. Just having that little edge where you can feel the home button was all it needed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also the white ring around that button made it clear which end was up.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
My kid slid the remote in a part of the couch that would require us to cut it open to get it out, like through some seam or something. Been using the phone for about 5 months now so looking forward to a bigger remote

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

I’ll probably just go with the minimum size ATV again like my HD, I don’t think 32GB is very limiting.

Actually I should check mine to see what the space free is, I assume that is a menu option somewhere in settings?
I was following a thread on another forum where this came up, there wasn't a place to show storage, it was all just invisible to the user...but I guess that changed in 14.5 (or I completely missed it before), cause there's a Manage Storage thing now that shows you apps/sizes and can delete from there. Course I don't see anything showing free space, but all the apps I have (streaming stuff) are pretty small, like 20-100MB. The screensavers on the other hand can be like a gig each I think.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t love it but it works fine for me and always responds how I expect it to. That’s all I ask for in a remote. I think it serves its purpose and nails a classic Apple minimalist design but I have a feeling I’ll like the new one quite a bit more.
Yeah I'm fine with it for the most part, my biggest issues are differing implementations of timeline scrubbing between apps or the directional taps not always being consistent. Hoping the defined click regions/clickwheel helps clean things up.

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 30, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

japtor posted:

I was following a thread on another forum where this came up, there wasn't a place to show storage, it was all just invisible to the user...but I guess that changed in 14.5 (or I completely missed it before), cause there's a Manage Storage thing now that shows you apps/sizes and can delete from there. Course I don't see anything showing free space, but all the apps I have (streaming stuff) are pretty small, like 20-100MB. The screensavers on the other hand can be like a gig each I think.

Yeah I'm fine with it for the most part, my biggest issues are differing implementations of timeline scrubbing between apps or the directional taps not always being consistent. Hoping the defined click regions/clickwheel helps clean things up.

Wild! I probably will just stick with the 32 although the 64 is only $20 more… hnnngh nah it’s probably fine.

I hope there is some kind of xcloud app for the tv that lets me stream xbox games but I guess the one coming to ios is browser based so probably not :sigh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I only need the 32GB but I’m gonna buy the 64GB because I’m a sucker and will fall for the $20 thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Wild! I probably will just stick with the 32 although the 64 is only $20 more… hnnngh nah it’s probably fine.

I hope there is some kind of xcloud app for the tv that lets me stream xbox games but I guess the one coming to ios is browser based so probably not :sigh:
I mean, it might be worth it if you're big on Apple Arcade and download a bunch at a time :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a bright red silicon case for my ATV remote so now I can tell which end is up and easily spot it in the couch. Cheap fix that probably gives Johnny Ives an ulcer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hmm, can’t order the new one yet?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I thought taking the store down last week for the AirTag launch was dumb but now I appreciate it since it was clear stuff wasn’t for sale yet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looks like it’s up now. Just snagged one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

May 21-27 delivery on the remote and no free shipping option. What the heck?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

May 21-27 delivery on the remote and no free shipping option. What the heck?

Maybe a morning glitch ? air had “view pricing to pre order” but then it it let me order it. It did give me free shipping.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Just ordered the new ATV. Delivery estimate May 21-27.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume it will work itself out but I don’t feel like paying extra for express shipping when it won’t ship for three weeks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

I assume it will work itself out but I don’t feel like paying extra for express shipping when it won’t ship for three weeks.

Are you not in the US? I'm in the US and this is what I see:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just ordered the new ATV. Delivery estimate May 21-27.
Yeah, same.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you not in the US? I'm in the US and this is what I see:

Thanks, it is working now. Still a little glitchy with those two identical free shipping options but good enough to order.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

It doesn't give me an option for free shipping.

edit:

I just tried it again with the Apple Store app on my phone, and now it let me order it with free shipping. :shrug:

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 30, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AppleTV is also in stock at Costco and Best Buy or wherever Apple stuff is sold
($10 cheaper at Costco)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah Costco has it for $10 off, but members only (:smug:), "expected ship week of 5/24/21"

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

($10 cheaper at Costco)

Free shipping too, welp 4 remotes from apple and new ATV from cowtco. You got me again Tim Apple 🍎

Looked at my order again, even though it showed me $8 shipping when I ordered, it now shows free shipping.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 30, 2021

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I guess May 21st is the official release date then? Kinda weird Apple never gave a solid date for it, just "second half of May"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do people get applecare on the atv? Probably not much can go wrong there other than maybe crushing the remote.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

Do people get applecare on the atv? Probably not much can go wrong there other than maybe crushing the remote.

The AC should cover the remote as well, so I suppose if it dies or battery starts to act up. However, on my old ATV 3rd gen, I did have the ethernet port go bad. It wasn't a big deal because I can go wireless, but there's always the possibility of it going bad.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

priznat posted:

Nope, I have 6 ATs spread across 3 homes and have no issues. I only do applecare for fruits that leave the house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Na.

I had a remote go bad the first year and they just gave me a new one.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I ordered from Buy Buy this morning for store pickup. Just got a pick up date of May 24 for the new 32 GB model.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

($10 cheaper at Costco)

Hey, this just saved me $10, cancelled my order with Apple and ordered with Costco. Exact date shipped doesn’t bother me. Thanks !

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

lol no

Disclaimer: I don't get AppleCare on anything.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My 4K 1st gen did die a couple months after I got it. Would only output white snow. But since it was still in warranty they gave me a refurb.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I cannot wait for the mew Atv s and remotes. I may not use my bedroom TiVo any more….

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

lol no

Disclaimer: I don't get AppleCare on anything.

I'm the exact opposite. It's gotten me peace of mind and a lot of free Mac upgrades, iPads and other hardware (batteries) etc. over the years.

I can see the points for both policies, particularly with the Apple TV because those aren't known for breaking too often, don't have batteries, accidental damage is unlikely and you're probably unlikely to touch it very often.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

…free Mac upgrades…

What do you mean by this?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What do you mean by this?

Presumably where something breaks late in the AC period and instead of a repair you get the current model as a replacement. I remember that happening with iPods a lot.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

njsykora posted:

Presumably where something breaks late in the AC period and instead of a repair you get the current model as a replacement. I remember that happening with iPods a lot.

Exactly that, with Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I'm the exact opposite. It's gotten me peace of mind and a lot of free Mac upgrades, iPads and other hardware (batteries) etc. over the years.

I can see the points for both policies, particularly with the Apple TV because those aren't known for breaking too often, don't have batteries, accidental damage is unlikely and you're probably unlikely to touch it very often.

Yeah, coverage (in general) tends to be either you buy the policies (assuming they aren’t a ripoff) or you don’t. I never, never buy any coverage or insurance on my devices. But I also work somewhat in the field, so I find discounts , and basically the savings at this point have saved for anyone time up front costs. I wouldn’t like it, but that’s the angle for me. But if you’re gonna buy it on one, then I would buy it on most because the worst is the one device not being covered is the one that gets damage.