Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Iron Crowned posted:

DO you live In Ohio? Because I have seen this car driving in the wild.

Nope, Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was listening to a podcast and they mentioned Chris Farley's death and talked about how insanely unhealthy he appeared in his last public appearances. It reminded me of watching that last SNL he was on as a host and thinking how off he seemed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah, overeating, overdrinking, coke, and heroin can do that.

Not terribly dissimilar is the really, really sad fate of Layne Staley. Something like 80 pounds when he died and he was decomposed already because no one knew he died for many days.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Farley depresses me. in addition to his substance abuse problems apparently he was an incredibly lonely person. bad end for such a funny guy.

this sketch is GOAT. i read somewhere he didn't rehearse with the other cast so they had no idea just what he was about to do. they have to resort to covering their faces with their hands to keep from breaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They mentioned in the song during a Steve Martin episode Farley sings "not gonna get liquored up tonight!" which haha funny joke. Oops, Farley is having seriously substance abuse problems and its actually a super dark joke. Also about how he was a real actor but how rarely they let him do anything other than fat guy fall down and mr sweaty guy.

The Schmidts Gay ad was one fo the few times he's actually acting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOSejS1SSY
And he is going for it to, fully committed to the bit.

I feel like if he had managed to overcome his addictions and problems he'd become one of the best comedic actors of the 21st century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_UUKwPWj80
I found this video of him on Leno and you can hear him struggling to breathe, especially after he starts doing physical bits.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

uber_stoat posted:

Farley depresses me. in addition to his substance abuse problems apparently he was an incredibly lonely person. bad end for such a funny guy.

this sketch is GOAT. i read somewhere he didn't rehearse with the other cast so they had no idea just what he was about to do. they have to resort to covering their faces with their hands to keep from breaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

Bob Odenkirk created the Matt Foley sketches/character.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

twistedmentat posted:

They mentioned in the song during a Steve Martin episode Farley sings "not gonna get liquored up tonight!" which haha funny joke. Oops, Farley is having seriously substance abuse problems and its actually a super dark joke. Also about how he was a real actor but how rarely they let him do anything other than fat guy fall down and mr sweaty guy.

I feel like if he had managed to overcome his addictions and problems he'd become one of the best comedic actors of the 21st century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_UUKwPWj80
I found this video of him on Leno and you can hear him struggling to breathe, especially after he starts doing physical bits.

That Leno video is hard to watch knowing what we know now. He’s legit struggling to breathe the whole time, and when he says that line about “shooting pain in your arm and chest” you don’t know if that’s a joke or serious :(

I remember the night he died I was driving back to my apartment from campus and the “top of the hour” news came on the radio. The first thing you heard was “My name is Matt Foley...” and I immediately knew he was dead, that was the only reason they would have played that clip. It’s like everyone KNEW it was coming (David Spade even made the joke about having to film Black Sheep in between his heart attacks), they just didn’t know exactly when.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

TeamJesus posted:

Bob Odenkirk created the Matt Foley sketches/character.

God dammit!
That doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"Fantasy" by Mariah Carey is quintessential 90s to me even though the main sample is from a 1981 Tom Tom Club song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Apr 20, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

God dammit!
That doesn’t surprise me one bit.

I always get sad that most people only know Bob Odenkirk form Saul Goodman, because he's massively influential in modern comedy.

Inzombiac posted:

"Fantasy" by Mariah Carey is quintessential 90s to me even though the main sample is from a 1981 Tom Tom Club song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY

Also the first time a lot of people probably saw ODB.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly this fake commercial probably did a better job to undercut sexism and normalize gay stuff than it gets credit. I remember watching this and having a slight Eureka moment when I was around 9-12.

quote:

Honestly seems like that would have hinged on how well Shrek's original production went, and that itself is a huge question mark. After Farley died the project basically got rebuilt from the ground up, and much as I might personally loathe it there's no denying that Meyers, Murphy, Diaz, etc. all found a kismet. It sucks but when I watch the original footage with Farley I see a genuinely talented guy who just hasn't sharpened himself up to the level the role calls for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYT5hQR4Q4

and that's probably because...

quote:

Also about how he was a real actor but how rarely they let him do anything other than fat guy fall down and mr sweaty guy.
I mean, yeah. SNL really pigeonholed him and the NYC party scene goes hard. He definitely had the charisma and the chops to get to a top level, but that's what makes his story so loving tragic.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I always get sad that most people only know Bob Odenkirk form Saul Goodman, because he's massively influential in modern comedy.

Tbh I’ve never actually gotten around to watching it. On the other hand, I need to break out my Mr. Show collection.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

He got The Birthday Boys on TV, and that's one of the funniest sketch comedy shows I've ever seen. Two short, perfect seasons.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Pastry of the Year posted:

He got The Birthday Boys on TV, and that's one of the funniest sketch comedy shows I've ever seen. Two short, perfect seasons.

Glen's go all the way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've never heard of Birthday Boys. Probably one of those shows not on anything available in Canada. I'll have to hunt it down.

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly this fake commercial probably did a better job to undercut sexism and normalize gay stuff than it gets credit. I remember watching this and having a slight Eureka moment when I was around 9-12.

Honestly seems like that would have hinged on how well Shrek's original production went, and that itself is a huge question mark. After Farley died the project basically got rebuilt from the ground up, and much as I might personally loathe it there's no denying that Meyers, Murphy, Diaz, etc. all found a kismet. It sucks but when I watch the original footage with Farley I see a genuinely talented guy who just hasn't sharpened himself up to the level the role calls for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYT5hQR4Q4

and that's probably because...

I mean, yeah. SNL really pigeonholed him and the NYC party scene goes hard. He definitely had the charisma and the chops to get to a top level, but that's what makes his story so loving tragic.

Yup, I had the same thought "wait gay dudes are just like straight dudes, why the big deal?"

And yea, I can imagine Shrek would have hinged on stuff, but I cannot imagine it was going to be a huge flop, maybe not a massive franchise it became but probably would have done solid numbers.

No one will deny SNL will run poo poo into the ground like a pile driver and that will cause someone to get stuck doing the same things over and over. You'd hope that going into films it would result in some ability to branch out, but I guess Farley never got far enough in his career where he might do something serious, or a comedy that wasn't just a bunch of fat jokes and pratfalls.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I guess Farley never got far enough in his career where he might do something serious, or a comedy that wasn't just a bunch of fat jokes and pratfalls.
That's the tragedy. SNL was the platform that enabled him to get seen and make Tommy Boy, but was also the atmosphere that encouraged his absolute worst tendencies. In a documentary I saw it's apparently agreed upon that Farley shouldn't have done Beverley Hills Ninja but he insisted because he wanted quick cash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjsJfRFJFfU

Jesus this is a particular kind-of late 90s crap isn't it?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so glad trailers don't have voice-overs anymore. They feel so patronizing now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
omg, back in the mid-90s I was working in a small badly run comic/collectibles store. A year after MTG made the whole world decide it wanted in on customisable card games, Decipher came out with both a Star Trek and Star Wars CCG that, while clunky, were the best two games that *felt* like you were playing through part of the story in any format. The Star Wars cards had a ton of lore on the cards, and were basically a mini-encyclopedia as well as being a game. It was cool AF. And despite everyone buying it, nobody was playing it, and so I had the full base set and the first 3 expansions but never got to play it. Not in person at least. I did get to play it twice in an extremely '90s visual chatroom called "The Palace", as Decipher had a Star Wars themed Palace chatroom on their site.

Found a current and ongoing set of videos where a couple of chill guys are opening a box of each set of cards, making a deck, and playing out a game. They're up as far as the Dagobah release, and will keep going if it remains popular enough. But I waited 25 years for this moment of vicarious enjoyment of the game, watching packs being opened and a game being played. Long videos, probably not of interest to most of you, but this for me is as peak '90s as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTFIbUTrKY4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
From what I remember, the problem with the Star Wars CCG was that it was too god-damned inaccessible if you had any less than the entire set.

Need to move characters from place to place? You need a vehicle card.

Need to move from Tattooine to Yavin 4? You need the Tattooine card, Yavin 4 card, and the card for a spaceship that can move between planets.

Want to have a space battle? Someone needs a planet card, and you and your opponent both need a spaceship card, with a pilot card equipped (and good luck getting anyone that wasn't Bo Shek if you were a broke teen)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I totally had the Star Wars CCG starter box and never did a damned thing with it. But for whatever reason I still have fond memories of a Christmas where I was like, holding it or something.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I played the ccg a total of once. Two towns over had a mom n' pop comic book store that put on a tournament where the owners sons played a couple demo games for everyone to learn how it goes, and then went table to table to supervise and explain stuff during the "tournament."
All i remember was Attrition lead to stuff like losing 1 rebel trooper, and my opponent losing darth vader, cuz it was his only creature or something. I wish that game hadn't been too weird for the 90s.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Iron Crowned posted:

From what I remember, the problem with the Star Wars CCG was that it was too god-damned inaccessible if you had any less than the entire set.

Need to move characters from place to place? You need a vehicle card.

Need to move from Tattooine to Yavin 4? You need the Tattooine card, Yavin 4 card, and the card for a spaceship that can move between planets.

Want to have a space battle? Someone needs a planet card, and you and your opponent both need a spaceship card, with a pilot card equipped (and good luck getting anyone that wasn't Bo Shek if you were a broke teen)

It was expensive to put together a cohesive deck in the beginning since everyone just played Mains & Toys.

Characters can move to adjacent sites and docking bay sites allowed for travel from one planet to another. The key was avoiding deploying all your characters to one location. As for space battles, plenty of ships had "permanent pilots" built-in.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Yeah I played SWCCG for several years and there was a thriving tournament scene in my region. It was a really great game.

Every new expansion unleashed two or three new viable deck themes, but the old stuff still worked with some modifications. You didn’t even need the rare main characters to have a winning deck.

Decipher lost the license shortly after The Phantom Menace came out. There were a couple other licensees after that, but their games were terrible.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I never got that much into MTG but I played a lot of SWCCG. I had a friend who was fairly into it as well, and the two of us stuck with it into the mid-2000s, well after they stopped printing them, though we never went to any tournaments or anything like that.

Back in the day I went to the trouble to track down missing cards to build a complete set of every expansion including all the dumb alternate image/foil cards, which I still have along with a couple of those big 5,000-count storage boxes full of random cards. I remember even back then a complete set was kind of a pain in the rear end to achieve - the last few expansions had tiny print runs, and it seemed like Decipher just stopped giving a poo poo about printing product when they lost the license, which was too bad.

I looked up completed auctions on ebay for some of the stuff I'm pretty sure I have and uh, :eyepop: too bad it's all in storage in a different country. I'd definitely play again if I had my cards and a local opponent.

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 07:10 on May 2, 2021

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of the early CCGs had that problem - I mean, even early Magic still hadn't quite worked out 'starter decks'. There were a lot of games that seemingly never considered how, exactly, a player was supposed to get a playable deck. IIRC, the Star Trek CCG ended up needing to give away free sets of a dozen 'non-aligned' cards that would work with anyone so that players would actually be able to play their game without going through dozens of booster packs and hoping for the best...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I still have all my SWCCG and my entire middle school life revolved around buying a new pack as soon as I had $5.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I still wonder if my old SW CCG cards survived. Left them all in the loft of a family member who I got estranged from 20 years back as they were... not the best person. I had a full black border premiere set all the way up until Cloud City at which point I dropped out. See, I spent 2 years working in a comic book/collectibles shop in the mid-90s, which should have been the coolest job ever, except I had lovely bosses and shittier wages. As the only person collecting those cards (apart from boss 1's girlfriend) I ended up organising and setting prices for the singles and basically setting the rates for the entire SW of the UK as I had that stuff on lock. Made them a ton of cash with how well I was running it. But did I get any more than the flat 10% staff discount that all the regular customers got anyway? No. Did I get to finish my collection without first making sure boss 1's girlfriend got "dibs" on anything she needed? Also no. Am I still salty all these years later? Oh yes. One of the regulars was a guy who collected SW stuff generally, and specifically anything R2-D2, and he took my Darth Vader card to get signed by Dave Prowse at a convention.

Very clear memories of working my day off to go pre-dawn to a mini-convention thing to set up a stall, and before the place opened walking around to check the other stalls and getting the final card needed to finish my base set: Red Leader. Those times I "played" the game on Decipher's website against a random too. That "Palace" chatroom software which had you pick an avatar and walk through a series of rooms, your messages displayed as speech bubbles. Decipher had used that software to create Star Wars themed rooms, so you could walk through the Lars' moisture farm, the cantina, the trash compactor etc, and there were lots of SW sound effects. If this sounds kind of lame, well... it was, but in the early days of the internet it was also incredibly awesome. I spent my days off up all night on the internet because I saw it as the future. And up all night, rather than all day, as I needed the phone line *AND* the calls had to be paid for. A penny a minute off-peak local calls meant it was furtive nocturnal use of the internet like it was something to be ashamed of, and folks...

Decipher were mostly cool, but they started getting a little greedy. Making starter box sets with a handful of exclusive cards. I could swallow that. But then they had some convention exclusive cards, and if you've been putting in all the time, money, and effort to get a 100% collection, that will no only ever be a 99% collection unless you splash out $$$... at that point the spell is broken and you can just pick and choose what you get. I left that job due to it being a deadend life sucking vortex, and when the next set came out (Cloud City) I bought one box of boosters and just looked around and asked myself what I was doing. I'd started a new job that would eventually take me back to a big city and really good money, and had moved out of home, and my spare time was spent going to nightclubs and failing to meet women so dumping all my money onto a card game I couldn't complete and never got to play seemed a bad investment.

But this was the mid-90s at the height of the weirdness of comic books in general. Glad I got to be part of that comics and collectibles mania. It was time of endless issue 1 comics that went up 10x in value within a couple of months, of "bad girl" comics, of people buying toys and figures just to never open them. Something especially sad about that at times. When Toy Story came out, a tale about the tragedy of growing up and of toys that no longer get played with, and you had these 50 year old men coming in to buy the Buzz Lightyear figures that they would never open and would just store in a dark attic hoping one day it would be worth money.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
By the way, you can still find these on Ebay and there are still tournaments and a whole niche community pushing out virtual cards.

I know because reasons.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This seems like my cue to repeat that there was, during the absurd 90s CCG glut, a Sim City card game.

I wish there were more scans of the cards floating around online, because they were just so delightfully bland.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I had a few of those too because some place was selling booster packs for dirt cheap, but I don't think I ever even had enough to build a deck. The only thing I remember about it was that they had some cards (probably rares) that were taller or longer than the "normal" game cards which made storing it a pain in the rear end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Angry Salami posted:

A lot of the early CCGs had that problem - I mean, even early Magic still hadn't quite worked out 'starter decks'. There were a lot of games that seemingly never considered how, exactly, a player was supposed to get a playable deck. IIRC, the Star Trek CCG ended up needing to give away free sets of a dozen 'non-aligned' cards that would work with anyone so that players would actually be able to play their game without going through dozens of booster packs and hoping for the best...

Magic at least was playable, if slightly clunky out of the box. Have red mana? You can play red cards!

Sure a starter didn't have enough mana to make a proper deck, but I get the idea that was by design. Magic came about during a trading card boom, and I don't think they figured kids would just hoard their cards.

Edit:
Googling old booster packs, they said "15 Tradable Game Cards" right there on the pack

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 17:37 on May 3, 2021

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I definitely had a bunch of the SW CCG cards as a kid but was too young to get the rules and never even really tried to play. I just thought the cards were cool as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mactheknife posted:

I definitely had a bunch of the SW CCG cards as a kid but was too young to get the rules and never even really tried to play. I just thought the cards were cool as hell.

Ask me about my pokemon cards

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

Decipher were mostly cool, but they started getting a little greedy. Making starter box sets with a handful of exclusive cards. I could swallow that. But then they had some convention exclusive cards, and if you've been putting in all the time, money, and effort to get a 100% collection, that will no only ever be a 99% collection unless you splash out $$$... at that point the spell is broken and you can just pick and choose what you get. I left that job due to it being a deadend life sucking vortex, and when the next set came out (Cloud City) I bought one box of boosters and just looked around and asked myself what I was doing. I'd started a new job that would eventually take me back to a big city and really good money, and had moved out of home, and my spare time was spent going to nightclubs and failing to meet women so dumping all my money onto a card game I couldn't complete and never got to play seemed a bad investment.

Later on they made a Lord of the Rings TCG. One of their bright ideas for that one was an organized play system that required tournament organizers to pay Decipher a per-player fee for each event. In return, the players got credits that could be redeemed for prizes on a website. Maybe this was viable in the larger stores in the US, but in my corner of Europe it was a terrible idea. You can't expect a random volunteer LotR "judge" to use their own credit card to run events, and I can't remember if they even offered free shipping to Europe. It didn't last long.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Makes sense when you consider Decipher went under due to embezzlement.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/3CC0__/status/1389601863998361603?s=20

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Nintendo_Television

The first I heard about this was this afternoon, watching a Youtube video about it. Nine year old me would have lost his loving mind over this TV back in the '90s. Even now it's a pretty cool gadget. Youtuber Retro Rick managed to find a working one for only about a thousand.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

This seems like my cue to repeat that there was, during the absurd 90s CCG glut, a Sim City card game.

I wish there were more scans of the cards floating around online, because they were just so delightfully bland.

I refuse to believe these are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Looks like SimCity TCG is available in Tabletop Simulator https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=341692129

I kind of want to try it out.

Rules are here: https://web.archive.org/web/20001002025603/http://www.chembio.uoguelph.ca/wisco/simcity/simdetai.htm