Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dogsicle posted:

i can't imagine the psn leak version is worse than the bluray

But the Blu-Ray will be twice the size because they didn't compress the audio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Playstation store leaked the movie. It's apparently in pretty good quality.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/89368660

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That molcar murdered 3 people

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's below average, what a deal!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

That molcar murdered 3 people

That's not true.

The judge ruled two of those cases as manslaughter.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
We found the Snopes Fact CheckerTM

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Is that Ascendance of a Bookworm or a different manga?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grouchio posted:

Apparently too much alien-related hijinks

...What?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that Ascendance of a Bookworm or a different manga?

It's from the Ascendance of a Bookworm LN. Part 3 Vol 1

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

:purfect:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

Back Arrow 17: What's beyond the wall? Another wall, of course. My half-kidding aside, the big reveal seems to be next week.

But this time was quite fun nonetheless. Shu and Arrow really should get more scenes together, plus things escalated quickly and Zetsu really is the MVP when it comes to battles.

Regarding Back Arrow, I always find myself slightly more sympathetic to Peath than I probably should be. Like, yeah, he's your basic slimy, backstabbing politician, but he projects this aura of constant, low-level terror that makes it clear he's spent his entire career in way over his head but is trying his best anyway. He gets a bunch of little humanising moments like checking that the capital is evacuated before shoving a gigantic buried dreadnought up through it that make it difficult to completely despise him.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched through what was out of Cestvs and it’s by the company that does the insane body proportion 3d characters so everyone is like hyper detailed big heads that barely animate and it sorta looks cool and the story is decently entertaining but uh did they do a hyper content skip? There’s traumatic flashbacks in this last ep that I’m pretty sure weren’t in the show and also seem uh idk I mean the character is literally using them to explain his actions it seems insane that the show didn’t show that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

kater posted:

I watched through what was out of Cestvs and it’s by the company that does the insane body proportion 3d characters so everyone is like hyper detailed big heads that barely animate and it sorta looks cool and the story is decently entertaining but uh did they do a hyper content skip? There’s traumatic flashbacks in this last ep that I’m pretty sure weren’t in the show and also seem uh idk I mean the character is literally using them to explain his actions it seems insane that the show didn’t show that.

lol I was wondering about this. The Emden stuff happens just past the halfway point of the manga lol. So they skipped like 70 chapters of content or something. Absolutely wild

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Vivy's going all in on the Nier Automata and I say: good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Vivy's going all in on the Nier Automata and I say: good.

I'm curious if We just hit a Bad End and are rolling back into a fresh run next episode, with that dark-haired girl being the "viable" Sister in this iteration of the timeline.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watched the first two eps of Link Click and this is good poo poo
it's a neat concept, time travel via photos, and they have to maintain a look but no touching policy so that they don't change future events while they look for clues on whatever case they've been hired to resolve (first ep was to find financial data and the second was about a secret noodle recipe). Looks like each episode they'll be dropping into different people's lives and getting a snapshot (:v:) of their various dramas, while the main characters' present lives are sort of a frame around it. The animation looks really good and it's already got a nice buildup for shipping the two mains, I couldn't find any info about whether or not this was actually a BL one since it's an original story but if it's not they're definitely trying to reach that audience regardless.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So was Ep3 of Osamake supposed to make me absolutely loving hate everyone involved? Because yikesaroo. Someone tell me if it gets better.

Efit.. I spell bad and forget episode numbers.

Childhood friend won't lose romcom

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 2, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

FilthyImp posted:

So was Ep2 of Omakase supposed to make me absolutely loving hate everyone involved? Because yikesaroo. Someone tell me if it gets better.

I uh, genuinely have no idea what loving anime this is supposed to be refering to. Google isn't helping either. Do you mean the 2015 anime Omakase! Miracle Cat-dan?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If I had to guess just from ep 2s I’ve seen it’s childhood friend won’t lose.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

FilthyImp posted:

So was Ep3 of Osamake supposed to make me absolutely loving hate everyone involved? Because yikesaroo. Someone tell me if it gets better.

Efit.. I spell bad and forget episode numbers.

Childhood friend won't lose romcom

I thought it was funny how everyone has their dumb little revenge plans but all of them backfire so no-one's happy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I thought it was funny how everyone has their dumb little revenge plans but all of them backfire so no-one's happy.

Hey, the handsome actor guy got basically everything he wanted. His acting hero returns to the stage, and he doesn't have to bother with any of this dumb teenage drama anymore.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Wow, Letty showed some guts this time. Yet he still remains our precious scaly cinnamon roll.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol ep 3 is worse than ep 2? cool cool cool.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Watched Nagatoro while bored at work. It's a fun little show; I like that it understands the distinction between her being sadistic and being malevolent. That's a level of character nuance I don't see very often, especially in something that's otherwise so frivolous.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You heard them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was intrigued by Tokyo revengers getting an anime and it was on my to-read list so I binged the entire manga up to chapter 203 recently.

It's really great for a good dozen volumes or so, but then both doesn't really do much but repeat it's main premise over and over, and does multiple things that make me just not give a poo poo about the plot or characters much at all for like 2 entire arcs. There is an "epilogue" at a certain point but then it basically goes BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! because it's a serialized shonen series and so won't end until canceled I guess.

Also I really hope you don't get attached to literally any named woman character in the series because they basically exist to be brutalized or murdered, sometimes repeatedly, and it rarely if ever feels well done. There's maybe one exception outside of hina, the main girl that takemitchi is trying to save in the first place, and even then hina is just kind of "there" in the story, she doesn't really ever get any focal time when not with takemitchi.

It's a shame. It starts off strong with some real likeable characters(draken in particular rules), but after a certain point it just bogs down in the same cycle and teases things for literally I want to say 7 volumes before ending things extremely abruptly and gratuitously, there just isn't a satisfying payoff.

I don't know where the anime will wrap up at but it'll probably be contained to the stronger earlier arcs, so at least this season will likely be worth a watch.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Watched Nagatoro while bored at work. It's a fun little show; I like that it understands the distinction between her being sadistic and being malevolent. That's a level of character nuance I don't see very often, especially in something that's otherwise so frivolous.

It took the manga a while to get to that point. The early chapters really felt a lot more malevolent than anything else, but the direction and acting for Nagatoro have gone a long way toward making it clear she earnestly cares for senpai, and that she’s not just worried about breaking a plaything when she starts to maybe go too far.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

It took the manga a while to get to that point. The early chapters really felt a lot more malevolent than anything else, but the direction and acting for Nagatoro have gone a long way toward making it clear she earnestly cares for senpai, and that she’s not just worried about breaking a plaything when she starts to maybe go too far.

I also really like the sound design in Nagatoro. I'm not sure why it stands out so much to me, but I love the little themes you get that emphasize "senpai is in danger" or "this gag is about to backfire".

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

I also really like the sound design in Nagatoro. I'm not sure why it stands out so much to me, but I love the little themes you get that emphasize "senpai is in danger" or "this gag is about to backfire".

Leitmotifs are amazing touchstones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVlsIhbQ2qM. Highly recommend the whole channel, the guy does a good job of unpacking the importance of sound and music.

In this instance Nagatoro, skimming through the episodes it looks like they're using a few different ones to represent various dynamics of their developing relationship. I don't watch a ton of anime so I don't know how common it is in the medium, but it is a simple and powerful storytelling tool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They go to a hard rock kind of sound when she gets sadistic, and when she gets false romantic or echhi the art style does something different with her hair (more "Vaseline filter" lens looks, with softer VN style coloring to her hair with swaths of red and purple).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

Leitmotifs are amazing touchstones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVlsIhbQ2qM. Highly recommend the whole channel, the guy does a good job of unpacking the importance of sound and music.

In this instance Nagatoro, skimming through the episodes it looks like they're using a few different ones to represent various dynamics of their developing relationship. I don't watch a ton of anime so I don't know how common it is in the medium, but it is a simple and powerful storytelling tool.

I assume it isn't completely uncommon, but it stands out enough in Nagatoro that I really noticed it starting with episode 1. I can't think of another show off hand where I thought more about the sound other than "this opening/closing track is really great", so I figure credit where credit is due.

FilthyImp posted:

They go to a hard rock kind of sound when she gets sadistic, and when she gets false romantic or echhi the art style does something different with her hair (more "Vaseline filter" lens looks, with softer VN style coloring to her hair with swaths of red and purple).

In the last episode there's a kind of discordant tune that starts up around 8:08 that feels a bit aggressive and hostile, which coincides with Nagatoro flipping into her jealous mode. It ends around 9:18 with a jarring piano chord, then at 9:20 a more playful, jazzy tune starts up as the jealousy has been cleared up and the teasing has begun. Then that jazzy tune cuts out a second or two before the punchline, leaving only dead silence as the teasing backfires and she freaks out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I didn't expect the Nagatoro anime of all places to have outstanding sound design, but here we are.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I mean it goes dun de dun de dun when a prank is being played and fwoomp when it backfires, what were y’all expecting all comedies do this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

went ahead and made a thread for Link Click, the time-travel photography donghua Funimation picked up last week

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966903

watch it! two episodes are out and they're good!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I added the thread to the OP, even though it's just a footnote:

quote:

Shiguang Daili Ren - Thread

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
honestly i don't really understand why a funimation-licensed donghua doesn't deserve a normal entry like everything else

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

given funimation has partnered with bilibili for going on two years now, maybe in future seasons they can have their license announcements ready sometime before every other show is halfway through airing :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

honestly i don't really understand why a funimation-licensed donghua doesn't deserve a normal entry like everything else

Maybe because donghua isn't quite the same thing as anime?

It's like how Batman the Animated series isn't anime, but Big O is. There isn't enough donghua discussion to justify a separate forum or anything, so this is the best fit, but it does feel like having a separate marking style is somewhat understandable.