Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Can't imagine Ina being anything but extremely embarrassed by this. "Quiet, low-key, chill vtuber" is not the one to do something like this for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Just going to drop this one last time as a reminder: Space Luna Charity Stream 20:00 PDT tonight on Twitch - Raising $$ for Oxygen Concentrators for India's COVID Outbreak

Space Luna will be doing an extra-long (for her, so probably 3-4 hours?) stream tonight with cumulative donation goals, where all money (and even the stuff Twitch insists she not call money and claim has no monetary value, aka bits) will go to Sewa's current efforts to get oxygen concentrators for India's hospitals.

This is also Luna's first affiliate stream, also, so totally-not-money-just-digital-bits will be accepted and she'll donate them in advance of payout. (Hopefully Amazon/Twitch doesn't gently caress her over on that, but by the time they actually pay out, the money may no longer be useful.)

Individual donation prizes for this stream:

- Donate $10 or the completely-not-money equivalent, and you get a kiss blown to you and a personal shoutout.
- Donate $25 or the not-money-just-a-bunch-of-internet equivalent, and Luna will name one of her minecraft horses after you, then ride you good and hard.
- Donate $50 or blah blah you get the point, and you'll receive a postcard from Luna. (You'll have to give her a mailing address of course.)
- Donate $100 or wildly cheer 10,000 digital point-shaped things, and the postcard is illustrated too!

Cumulative donation goals (not all of them, but some fun ones):

$250 - Flirting With Chat
$750 - "Ara Ara + Chatting" as Delores, a Luna character where she pretends to be a chain-smoking middle-aged woman with a Jersey accent
$1500 - Video proposal to Ollie on Twitter, @'d at her and Hololive Indonesia.

There are a bunch of others, but those are the most noteworthy/reachable.

It'll be hosted on Twitch tonight, 20:00 PDT. twitch.tv/lunamiura, or click through the embed link below.

https://twitch.tv/lunamiura

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9VZHz-kbg

Ina: "Don't put me on such a high pedestal."

Weird Ina Fan: "Here is Ina on a giant billboard."

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Beating a dead horse at this point but that Times Square thing is an incredibly selfish idea.

The Tony Hawk callout for Luna, Michael's VA for Miko, Lifeline's VA for Ollie and RZA for Callie all meant something personally to the streamer and was probably a hell of a lot less expensive to boot. This basically just screams someone trying to one up everyone showing that they're "better" fans by going bigger than the other fandoms without even considering that this is something they'd want. Hell Ina would probably be more grateful if you put that money towards an equivalent amount of toilet paper like all the JP fans seem to do whenever the birthday gift periods roll around.

If they really want to swing a giant money dick around and have Ina actually appreciate it, then somehow get access to a Bob Ross original and send that to her.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I mean it’s free real estate

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

as far as i know this cost around $700. that's not like total lunacy or anything, especially for a group of people. getting exercised over this being 'extremely selfish' et cetera is just as parasocially weird as anything else because at that point you're telling people they're being fans incorrectly.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

You're probably right I'm getting a bit too heated about this.

I still stand by my statement that she'd appreciate $700 worth of tp more than this nonsense though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Gura's about to sing. It's unarchived, but not members only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo9HsoCncNc

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I love Gura singing streams so much, she has such a great singing voice and her ukelele adds such a fun communal vibe :kimchi:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Gura karaoke streams hit different

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Shark soundin' great tonight.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Her ukele skills add so much more to what was already impressive, if they ever do a live concert in Japan, it'll be nuts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

I sometimes feel like this weird culture that has developed around the term "simping" and it being such a lighthearted and jocular term has really blurred some people's concept of what actually constitutes a healthy parasocial relationship. Not that that's anything particularly unprecedented, I guess.

While simps are trying to reappropiate the term I don't think it's actually lighthearted for most people who are aware of it.

But in any case, if a group of fans wants to spend time and money in that sort of stuff instead of buying dakimakuras or whatever just let them. Ina is just a character so it's not like they are actually embarrassing or hurting someone (unless some idiot spends money they shouldn't doing that).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Patware posted:

as far as i know this cost around $700. that's not like total lunacy or anything, especially for a group of people. getting exercised over this being 'extremely selfish' et cetera is just as parasocially weird as anything else because at that point you're telling people they're being fans incorrectly.

The Thomas Reuters billboard is an advertising location described on the Times Square website as

quote:

Standing at 22 stories tall, the Thomson Reuters sign consists of 11 uniquely-sized, high definition LED screens and state-of-the-art technology capable of full-motion video, simulcast events, mobile interactivity, social media integration and much more. It shows prominently to the hundreds of thousands of vehicles and pedestrians that make their way through Times Square each day. In addition, this iconic display lies directly adjacent to 1 Times Square, home of the famous New Year's Eve Ball.

There is no way in hell that "7 minutes every hour all day" on a screen of this caliber is around $700, and there is definitely no way that Cover has given permission for an ad campaign in New York City on a building next to the site of the New Year's Eve Ball to a bunch of random fans.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

That rendition of the Kamura purification song was beautiful

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
FWIW, they did claim in the reddit thread that they talked to cover about it ahead of time. Regardless, they certainly know by now

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Patware posted:

The money all came from one person. What's coming from other people is the art that's going to be featured.

I would also argue $700 is absolutely total lunacy for something like this, but then I'm not rich so what do I know.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Times Square isn’t exactly popping during the pandemic y’all lol

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Takoluka posted:

The Thomas Reuters billboard is an advertising location described on the Times Square website as

There is no way in hell that "7 minutes every hour all day" on a screen of this caliber is around $700, and there is definitely no way that Cover has given permission for an ad campaign in New York City on a building next to the site of the New Year's Eve Ball to a bunch of random fans.

From what I was able to search, Thomson Reuters costs $230/hr on a normal day. That's about $3.84 a minute. Seven minutes every hour is 168 total minutes for one day. 168 times $3.84 is $645.12.

Next time you're going to be so aggressive about telling someone they're wrong you should probably be right, or at least attempt to gather information to back up your point. Am I 100% confident in these numbers? No, I had a hard time finding the pricing, but it's more than no facts. Plus,

joe football posted:

FWIW, they did claim in the reddit thread that they talked to cover about it ahead of time. Regardless, they certainly know by now

Acting like Ina is too pure and good to feel any positive emotions about her fanart going up on Times Square before she's even commented on it herself is another form of putting her on a pedestal she was talking about.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Shark is doing Live Again ukulele cover now, rad stuff!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's true that at this point we're basically doing exactly what she said not to do in the video that was just posted so fair enough, I'll drop it.

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.
That Live Again cover was awesome. Gura karaoke killing it as usual

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would personally not call it selfish, I would call it a bit much.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Actually, I think you’ll find that I’M the one who cares the LEAST about vtubers...

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It's Extra as gently caress but whatever not my money.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I mean, it feels like the entire situation can/should be resolved one way or another by simply asking Ina how she feels about it. It's not like it's a surprise gift at this point, since it was advertised on the public reddit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's definitely people who donate more than twice that during a week.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
this billboard is only acceptable if it has a giant heart border and glitter all over it

mouse is now terrified to respond to Belmond with a game/time for a collab, but insists she isn't going to ghost him. she also now owns a long furby, Azaeatec (aka Vanilla Ice)

https://clips.twitch.tv/HyperResourcefulFloofArgieB8-uXP-F9BB67wQPzab

Wudz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 2, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tae posted:

There's definitely people who donate more than twice that during a week.

Some donate more than that during a single stream.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I mean, there was a clip I saw today of a dude who spent a couple of hundred bucks in red superchats pretending to be Gordan Ramsey in Haachama's cooking stream.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Patware posted:

From what I was able to search, Thomson Reuters costs $230/hr on a normal day. That's about $3.84 a minute. Seven minutes every hour is 168 total minutes for one day. 168 times $3.84 is $645.12.

Next time you're going to be so aggressive about telling someone they're wrong you should probably be right, or at least attempt to gather information to back up your point. Am I 100% confident in these numbers? No, I had a hard time finding the pricing, but it's more than no facts.

I assume you read the really awkwardly written article about "everything you need to know" about digital billboards in NY. I wasn't going to cite that pricing reference, because the article itself has no citing. What I did see was multiple articles and business website with email addresses for pricing inquiries on digital advertising in Times Square with prices starting at four figures. I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm wrong on the price of the billboard, but you're being really weird about this.

quote:

Acting like Ina is too pure and good to feel any positive emotions about her fanart going up on Times Square before she's even commented on it herself is another form of putting her on a pedestal she was talking about.

What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with putting anyone on a pedestal or even Ina in general. People would have things to say about renting a billboard in Times Square for ANY member of Hololive. Ina is a copyrighted character, and featuring her name and likeness on a digital billboard is not some cutesy crowdfunded gift for a rando; this is an ad campaign. Without an explicit statement from Cover about a bunch of fans online taking control of an advertising campaign for a character they own, people are going to tilt their heads at what looks like overstepping boundaries.

If it magically cost any one of us only $20 to get a tour bus covered in Coco art, and a bunch of tatsunokos decided to fund a full-scale US tour advertising how great she is, the first concern is not going to be the invoice.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

an unironic 'won't someone think of the brand?' and i'm the weirdo here, gotcha

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Takoluka posted:

If it magically cost any one of us only $20 to get a tour bus covered in Coco art, and a bunch of tatsunokos decided to fund a full-scale US tour advertising how great she is, the first concern is not going to be the invoice.

Buy an ad in the 6 AM slot on every radio station that wakes everyone up with "GOOD MORNING MOTHERFUCKERS".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I love that the Doom bathroom guy and Groverhaus guy were basically laughed into eternal infamy, but when the Groverhaus of cooking and bathtub pizza happen, we give them $10k a month.

grover got mad and had LF nuked because people made fun of his stupid house. if instead he'd roamed the country building stupid houses for the entertainment of the masses, id probably chip in a ten spot on a monthly basis.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

grover got mad and had LF nuked because people made fun of his stupid house. if instead he'd roamed the country building stupid houses for the entertainment of the masses, id probably chip in a ten spot on a monthly basis.

membership benefits: at the 30/month tier you're entered into the que for grover to come and personally insulate your stairs

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

paranoid randroid posted:

You know what, that's fair. I'm with you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I mean there's always Doobie

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
fwiw fans buying happy birthday billboards/bus ads/etc for idols is normal in korea/japan

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

astr0man posted:

fwiw fans buying happy birthday billboards/bus ads/etc for idols is normal in korea/japan

That's not really any less weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
It's like you guys have never even heard of the crowd funded Miku shrine