Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DoubleDonut posted:

how many isekai have you read
How many breads have you eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctyUV2ZW58c

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Grouchio posted:

https://youtu.be/j9q7jUI8D84

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just got into anime at the ripe age of 35. Watched all of re:zero, Mob Psycho and Im A Spider So What, and enjoyed them all (Spider being the worst obviously but still trashy fun).

What should I watch next anime friends

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

k-on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Taima posted:

Just got into anime at the ripe age of 35. Watched all of re:zero, Mob Psycho and Im A Spider So What, and enjoyed them all (Spider being the worst obviously but still trashy fun).

you might like one punch man if you want more from mob's writer, it's more comical with less meaningful character growth stuff but it's still a decently fun time with some very pretty animation

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
School days

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm still fairly new to anime, and I'm currently really enjoying Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Thinking about starting Attack on Titan soon too.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Colonel posted:

you might like one punch man if you want more from mob's writer, it's more comical with less meaningful character growth stuff but it's still a decently fun time with some very pretty animation

I think I like character stuff a lot. Re:Zero reeeaaaalllyyy resonated with me (though it was way too much to care about/keep track of for my wife) and in general I’m kinda meh on action in the animes I have watched.

Don’t me wrong action is fun especially when the art style is cool af like Mob Psycho but that’s not typically why I’m watching.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

character stuff? oh I know the perfect anime for you

its k-on

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like K-On a lot

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Taima posted:

you're in for a wild ride. there's just so much great stuff.

BisterdDave posted:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood / Attack on Titan

^ good starting points.

here's a list of a few of my top rated animu, in no particular order (i dont really bother rating anime anymore.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Taima posted:

I think I like character stuff a lot. Re:Zero reeeaaaalllyyy resonated with me (though it was way too much to care about/keep track of for my wife) and in general I’m kinda meh on action in the animes I have watched.

Don’t me wrong action is fun especially when the art style is cool af like Mob Psycho but that’s not typically why I’m watching.
Monogatari series
Fate/Zero
Mononoke
Mushishi
Death Parade

What resonated with you most with re:zero (season 1 or 2?)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 2, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Grouchio posted:

Monogatari series
Fate/Zero
Mononoke
Mushishi
Death Parade

What resonated with you most with re:zero (season 1 or 2?)

It should be noted that Monogatari has a kind of confusing watch order, but it is very much worth it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not hard to just watch things in production order

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the mononoke watch order is pretty confusing

you gotta watch ayakashi (not just the part that mononoke is based on, but also the face poison arc)
mononoke
then the sequel, princess mononoke

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So, there seems to be a Jashin-chan gacha game?
https://twitter.com/jashinchan_nnw/status/1386515380517101569

Grouchio posted:

Monogatari series
Fate/Zero
Mononoke
Mushishi
Death Parade

With respect to my favorite anime series, I wouldn't dump a new fan straight into Monogatari.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
for what it's worth, if you have any particular genres you're interested in that helps recommendations a lot

like, the internet has a lot of people who seem to watch hyper-popular action anime and nothing else but one of the most popular shows on this subforum is a romance story centered around people playing competitive karuta

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

time to kick grouchio's rear end for reccing f/z

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aurora posted:

time to kick grouchio's rear end for reccing f/z
But he wants deep, dramatic poo poo

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

then why did you recommend f/z

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grouchio posted:

Erased

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

It should be noted that Monogatari has a kind of confusing watch order, but it is very much worth it.
monogatari does not have a confusing watch order. it is fairly heavy on weird fanservice tho.

Taima posted:

Taima posted:

ssss. gridman is really heavy on character stuff and has some cool twists, and the action is more like the megazord fights at the end of power rangers episodes so maybe that different style will be more to your tastes? its not really a series that emphasizes the action tho, it more uses the monster of the week format as a framing for the character stuff.

a place further than the universe is entirely character work/comedy, a story about 4 girls trying to get to antarctica. very funny, very heartfelt, good character drama, some interesting facts about antarctic expeditions. highly recommended.

any particular preferences in terms of length?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm extremely disappointed no one has suggested JoJo's Bizarre adventure .

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think when someone asks for recommendations you should try and figure out what they would like most rather than throwing a list of your favorite anime at them

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm going to say Welcome to the NHK

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Watch Seirei no Moribito.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

surely some kind of themed pachinko game would be the more true to the character way to lose all of your money

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't recommend anime anymore because i become emotionally devastated when someone doesn't like stuff as much as i do

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

for what it's worth, if you have any particular genres you're interested in that helps recommendations a lot

like, the internet has a lot of people who seem to watch hyper-popular action anime and nothing else but one of the most popular shows on this subforum is a romance story centered around people playing competitive karuta

I agree that I'm doing a bad job of describing exactly what I might like. The problem is that I know next to nothing about anime so all I can provide is the few shows I watched and like. I get that it's hard to base recommendations off of that.

In any case I really appreciate the numerous replies and I will look into every last one of them. It's almost impossible to really... understand anime as someone looking in casually. I have so much to learn, and there's so much going on, and honestly a lot of what appear to be dead ends (shows that only get a season or two, etc) it's just hard to understand in general which is why recommendations are so helpful to me.

JoJo is absolutely on my list, Nitrous.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

With respect to my favorite anime series, I wouldn't dump a new fan straight into Monogatari.

:same:

i've tried to watch monogatari twice over the years and it still hasn't clicked. i'm giving it another go this year

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Taima posted:

I agree that I'm doing a bad job of describing exactly what I might like. The problem is that I know next to nothing about anime so all I can provide is the few shows I watched and like. I get that it's hard to base recommendations off of that.

just do what i did and try a bunch of poo poo randomly/based on MAL scores. nothing wrong with dropping a series a couple episodes in

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Taima posted:

You like enjoyable characters and watching them grow?

Watch Chihayafuru!

Or if you want some more gripping / heavy character drama, I would say Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and March Comes in like a Lion are two of the best-written anime series of the last decade.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

an amazing show that i've never successfully recommended to anyone. "it's an anime about what?"

also, love your avatar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grouchio posted:

Stay Night's Artoria was my first waifu

gonna second One Punch Man, and going to add Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, Sweetness & Lightning, and Space Brothers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Taima posted:

MOTHER FUKKIN REDLINE

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

verbal enema posted:

MOTHER FUKKIN REDLINE

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 2, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Taima posted:

It might help to think about what you like in non-anime shows or other media. Like, do you enjoy romance? A heart-pumping sports story? Character drama?

just to throw out a general recommendation try Run With the Wind. It's sports but set in college and it's about a team of runners (and nonrunners who got kinda roped into things) coming together to train for and run a relay marathon. It's based on a novel so it covers the whole story within the show so you aren't left hanging at the end. then if you like that watch Haikyuu!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Stay Night's Artoria was my first waifu

gonna second One Punch Man, and going to add Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, Sweetness & Lightning, and Space Brothers.

A Place Further than the Universe had me bawling at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

A Place Further than the Universe had me bawling at the end.

Is that the Antarctica one? I still haven't seen that yet.