Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Septic Knothead posted:

I am trying to remember a coin-op game I only ever saw in one place, would have been 1981-82 I think. It was most similar to Galaga, but definitely not that. When you started, it had a small single shot type gun on your ship. As you advanced in rounds the ship built stages-- like a wider section behind your single shot 'nose cone" with two guns. This of course made your ship larger and more vulnerable to enemy fire from above. The more guns you could get, the wider you could cover with your fire but it was much more difficult to dodge as your ship size increased. I found this game strangely compelling and I played it every time I could, but drat if I can remember what it was called. It may have started with an "A" but I can't be sure.

Gromit posted:

I think I know what you mean, but I'll need to search around. Terra Cresta had something a bit like that but was way more advanced than what you are talking about. I'm picturing a black space background rather than TC's colourful land (as well as nothing like TC's more complex ship improvements).

Moon Cresta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5stQgPGYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, I realised soon after and edited it into my post, not noticing you had responded on a new page.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is reminding me of a vertically-scrolling arcade shmup I saw once as a kid (so, probably late 80's or early 90's). I think the way it worked was that each time you died, you were given a different ship. I remember one of them being preposterously wide, which made dodging anything basically impossible, especially since I'm pretty sure it was one-hit kills. I played it once, didn't make it very far, but was very excited when I got the big ship because it was big and that was cool (ahh, kid logic :allears:). Probably had, like, Genesis-tier graphics or so, but I literally don't remember anything about it aside from the ship mechanics and that it was a sci-fi vertical shmup.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Worth noting that Platinum is making an official sequel called Sol Cresta which they announced as an April fools joke last year and then revealed was a real game a few weeks ago :)

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1377878649500618755?s=21

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Y'know, it's weird... In watching the video the game mechanics are exactly what I describe, but the sounds and visuals don't trigger my memory. Is it possible this is something that was cloned and renamed? I am pretty sure the game I played was not called "Moon Cresta." In looking at the comments I now remember that you had to successfully dock the stages together, and you could destroy one or both if you weren't careful. So I am pretty sure that it was Moon Cresta. But why don't I remember that name? Video games were very important to me at that time, and my memory it usually pretty good.

I Thank You

Edit: It was called Eagle and that's it for sure!!

From Wiki:
Moon Cresta[a] is a fixed shooter video game released by Nichibutsu for arcades in 1980. In North America, it was licensed to Sega/Gremlin[2] and Centuri, the latter releasing it in arcades as Eagle. Incentive Software published ports of Moon Cresta for the Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Dragon 32 and ZX Spectrum home computers.

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2021

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to remember a game. It was a grid based and played sort of like Civilization, very 90's computer graphics. The grid was square based but and each city your species set up had its own limited grid that you could fool around with, maybe 12 * 12 or something around that size.

The only thing I remember is two of the races. One was telepathic and blind, but had dog-like creatures that could see for them. When they finally met humans for the first time it turned out they were the cause of all human dreams because they'd been trying to psychically contact them or thousands of years. Another was a race of ant-like creatures, and if you won the queen honored you by consuming your body to ensure you'd be part of the future colony.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Deadlock.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That was it, thanks!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I found this back in the BBS days and it might have just been someone's personal CRPG project, so I can't swear it even exists anymore. But it occasionally still pops into my head, so I'll ask anyway.

It was an Ultima-like game with a tile map and an overhead view. There were three elemental planes you had to visit to win (I can't recall which of the four classical elements was left out). You are warned not to go to any of the planes until you find an artifact called the Rod of Return, as there's no other way to get back to your world.

I could never beat it because I could never find the @#$%ing rod even though I was convinced I'd searched everywhere a dozen times. I'm not even sure the Rod was actually there to be found, if a bug was stopping me or if the game was simply incomplete. I was able to go to the elemental planes if I wanted to but it was a one-way trip.

Anyone else remember this one?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Can't post deadlock and not post the song

https://youtu.be/6cOiNomOVXM

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
gently caress, I was going to and then I forgot. That song owns, can't eat strudel anymore without doing the Tarth voice.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Hi thread! I'm trying to find a game, I think on PS1, that we had a demo disc for. You played a tank or car, Sci fi setting, on what I think was Mars, because all I could remember is red hills and mountains. I feel like it was more strategy than actual tank stuff but memory is bad.

I remember being able to build and upgrade bases in multi-player, like adding defenses or something. You'd drive around and try to destroy the other player and their base.

Plz help, my family is dying

Edit: SOLVED below, thanks to everyone that helped. Game was Uprising X on PS1

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Hi thread! I'm trying to find a game, I think on PS1, that we had a demo disc for. You played a tank or car, Sci fi setting, on what I think was Mars, because all I could remember is red hills and mountains. I feel like it was more strategy than actual tank stuff but memory is bad.

I remember being able to build and upgrade bases in multi-player, like adding defenses or something. You'd drive around and try to destroy the other player and their base.

Warzone 2100? It didn’t take place on Mars but it had reddish desert terrain. There was a demo that came with Gex 3

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Could it be battlezone? That's PC/N64, so right era, wrong console. The main game spends a long time on Mars, but the demo was lunar missions only, though.

Do you remember if it was first or third person?

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 19, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Warzone 2100? It didn’t take place on Mars but it had reddish desert terrain. There was a demo that came with Gex 3

This isn't it, although it looks cool. The game I'm thinking of had strategy elements I think, but it wasn't a top down thing.

Unreal_One posted:

Could it be battlezone? That's PC/N64, so right era, wrong console. The main game spends a long time on Mars, but the demo was lunar missions only, though.

Do you remember if it was first or third person?

Not battlezone, I didn't know there was a 64 port for that though.

The game I can see in my head was 3rd person, and my brother and I played splitscreen. I'm pretty sure it was a demo, as I can only remember/picture that one "red" level.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It’s a long shot but could you be thinking of Red Faction? It has destructible terrain which would be memorable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Return Fire?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKjU4M1fDs&t=249s

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This isn't it, although it looks cool. The game I'm thinking of had strategy elements I think, but it wasn't a top down thing.

Not battlezone, I didn't know there was a 64 port for that though.

The game I can see in my head was 3rd person, and my brother and I played splitscreen. I'm pretty sure it was a demo, as I can only remember/picture that one "red" level.

How about Uprising X? Seems to fit everything except it’s first person

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

There's a game that I remember playing that came from like a PC World demo disc (or similar magazine demo disc) from somewhere aroung late 90's to 2000. I can't remember if it was shareware or just a demo. The game was supposedly an Elite-like according to the disc, and the space flight was that old MS-DOS style of 3D with just solid colour polygons. I think the stuff on space stations was a seperate program that ran in Windows, but trying to go into that always crashed the game for me so I never got to see it.

The one thing I specifically remember was that the cargo ships, instead of having an internal cargo bay, instead had 'cargo pods' that attached to the front of the ship (please forgive the lovely MSPaint):

The cargo pods looked like the thing on the left, and the small cargo ship looked vaguely like the shape on the right with a pair of 'arms' going around the cargo pod. The next larger cargo ship had space for two pods on the front, and the largest had 3 or 4. You could find cargo pods flying between the station you started at and the nearby planet and if you didn't have a pod attached you could scoop them up.

When docking at the one station I could find, you docked by actually flying inside the station and then flying into a docking space.

You could also travel between systems by hyperdrive, but I was a dumb kid who never bothered looking up how to actually get it to work.

Did I just imagine this game or is it something that actually existed? I tried looking for it but couldn't find any information. I thought it might be an X series game as the Terran Frog in X4:CoH vaguely looks like the cargo ship I mentioned and the Terran docking bay in X4 has the same style "fly in side and then dock" shape, but even the first X looks too new to be the game I remembered. Wikipedia seems to be coming up blank too.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 19, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How about Uprising X? Seems to fit everything except it’s first person

UPRISING X, YES THIS IS IT!!!!!

I swore it was third person, but this is totally it - this is precisely the "red" atmosphere I remembered. I don't know why I thought third person.

Thank you to the others above that had ideas! This is a ~15 year mystery solved for my brother and I!

Edit description:

The gameplay is similar to the first Uprising game, in which players use a tank called the Wraith to destroy enemy units and give orders to their factories and allied units. Players can also zoom into the citadel and use its heavy cannons. The citadel is a protective tower that also automatically fires at enemies.

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 19, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BaronVanAwesome posted:

UPRISING X, YES THIS IS IT!!!!!

I swore it was third person, but this is totally it - this is precisely the "red" atmosphere I remembered. I don't know why I thought third person.

Thank you to the others above that had ideas! This is a ~15 year mystery solved for my brother and I!

Edit description:

The gameplay is similar to the first Uprising game, in which players use a tank called the Wraith to destroy enemy units and give orders to their factories and allied units. Players can also zoom into the citadel and use its heavy cannons. The citadel is a protective tower that also automatically fires at enemies.

Nice!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

legooolas posted:

Long shot as possibly an obscure system, but that will give less choice in what it could be perhaps?...

Link 480z educationalish game at primary school in the mid to late 80s, you had to make a castle or base or something and I think it got attacked and you saw how well your choices worked to defend it. Maybe could have moats and fences and stuff?

Single screen game as far as I remember.

Thinking about it it could have been on the BBC B but I don't think my school had any of those...

Turns out that I guess my primary school must have had a BBC as well, since I'm 99% sure this was Fletcher's Castle, not that anyone is likely to care about a terrible edutainment-ish game ^_^

I would post an image but the Awful Android app currently hates me, and the only link I could give would probably count as :filez:
(Will edit from a computer later to put in a terrible screenshot for posterity)

Edit : found a forum thread about it from elsewhere, which also includes someone giving their strategies for beating it (!) : https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4126

legooolas fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 25, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Trying to recall the name of this game, which for some reason I thought was "Death Head" or some variant thereof, but I guess I'm wrong?

This game featured a kind of checkerboard, and it involved sending dudes from one side of the screen to the other. My memories are foggy, but I think of it almost like a competitive Plants vs. Zombies. You'd send them walking toward the right, and different units had different speeds or attacks. One of them was definitely a skull, and I think ITS name was Deth Hed or, you know. Something like that. This came out in the 90s, and I feel like it came out around the same time as Zoop.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

credburn posted:

Trying to recall the name of this game, which for some reason I thought was "Death Head" or some variant thereof, but I guess I'm wrong?

This game featured a kind of checkerboard, and it involved sending dudes from one side of the screen to the other. My memories are foggy, but I think of it almost like a competitive Plants vs. Zombies. You'd send them walking toward the right, and different units had different speeds or attacks. One of them was definitely a skull, and I think ITS name was Deth Hed or, you know. Something like that. This came out in the 90s, and I feel like it came out around the same time as Zoop.

That’d be Gearheads

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fuckin GEARHEADS!

Man if I can get this sucker running my girlfriend's evening is going to be DOPE

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 2, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

credburn posted:

Fuckin GEARHEADS!

:O

The skull toy is called Deadhead so you were on the right track lol. I never owned it but we had a demo I used to play a ton on our first computer (Packard Bell 486 baby)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The skull toy is called Deadhead so you were on the right track lol. I never owned it but we had a demo I used to play a ton on our first computer (Packard Bell 486 baby)

Hey, this is exactly my experience. Gearheads demo on a Packard Bell 486!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

Fuckin GEARHEADS!

Man if I can get this sucker running my girlfriend's evening is going to be DOPE

There might be an easier way, but a few years back I installed Gearheads under Windows 3.11 inside DOSBox and it worked.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

credburn posted:

Hey, this is exactly my experience. Gearheads demo on a Packard Bell 486!

:cheerdoge::shibe:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
From an online pal:

"I remember a grey brick wall maze and possible a knight character trying to get into a castle" Says it's not Gauntlet and he's sure the walls were grey.

I ask if he means like the windows maze screensaver:

"No, more 2.5D
But not isometric"

It's for the Commodore 64, could be disk or cassette. Said he's checked against Lemon64's list without results, would have been available in the UK, played it no later than 1992

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds a lot like Deadly Towers but that was NES only afaik

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Has he looked through the SSI RPGs? A few of those could fit, like Pool of Radiance, but the games tend to look pretty samey.

https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/c64/strategic-simulations-inc/role-playing-rpg/

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Light Gun Man posted:

From an online pal:

"I remember a grey brick wall maze and possible a knight character trying to get into a castle" Says it's not Gauntlet and he's sure the walls were grey.

"No, more 2.5D
But not isometric"

It's for the Commodore 64, could be disk or cassette. Said he's checked against Lemon64's list without results, would have been available in the UK, played it no later than 1992

That's awfully vague. Maybe Druid?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

From an online pal:

"No, more 2.5D
But not isometric"

Knightlore?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently Druid is close but wrong colors...I kept asking him if he might have played it in black and white, lol

Thanks for the stabs, goons. Let me know if anyone else has some thought.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
This is a game from back when the ps2 and xbox was fairly new consoles. I can only recall seeing it once as a kid in a now defunct gamestore. I remember being intrigued by this ps2 game wich boasted to have large open areas to explore. The setting seemed to be excotic/alien fantasy of some sort, (or maybe just regular fantasy?) I remember the player character being a blue skinned humanoid. From the pictures on the back of the box, it seemed to be a third person action adventure style game. Anybody know if this is an actual game or if I'm misremembering stuff?

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 4, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It’s got me thinking of Kameo, although that’s not a blue character. Or maybe a Soul Reaver game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sounds like the back cover to Primal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If it had been an OG Xbox game it would have been Azurik.

Edit:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 4, 2021