Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
GJ-bu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mister Facetious posted:

Is that the Antarctica one? I still haven't seen that yet.

Yep!

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

You and your wife should watch Keijo! together. I'm only slightly joking.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Mister Facetious posted:

Is that the Antarctica one? I still haven't seen that yet.

Yeah. It's only 13 episodes, and super worth watching. I think it got ADTRW AOTY for 2018? Everyone loved it including me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

marumaru posted:

an amazing show that i've never successfully recommended to anyone. "it's an anime about what?"

also, love your avatar
Actually (and this is not against you or anything; like I totally understand where you're coming from, I'm just using your reply as a springboard boar sorts) I think it's an easy-enough recommendation and the more I think of it, the more I go "Why isn't this considered an entry-gate anime like Bebop or Eva?" because honestly? It awoke some feelings in me that I thought were long snuffed out. Like Little Witch Academia? A Place Further than the Universe? Yona of the Dawn? I love those.

And they're all great (and Taima, if you're still reading for recommendations and want some good entry-level stuff, I cannot amply recommend those three series enough). But SGRS felt like when you hear an artist for the first time and it just clicks. Like when I was a dumb teenager/young adult touring and being broke half-the-time but I found out about Patton Oswalt and hearing the KFC Famous Bowls bit and couldn't stop laughing my rear end off with the rest of Werewolves and Lollipops or when I heard both Deftones and Meshuggah during my stint in music school during my early adolescence and it made me realize that I didn't want to play classical music for a living and the sooner I was done with that, the better.

That's how potent Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju felt for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IH4DK-h3iQ

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

marumaru posted:

an amazing show that i've never successfully recommended to anyone. "it's an anime about what?"

also, love your avatar

Give them Joshiraku as a starter anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Gah.
I haven’t really read much of anything since mangadex went down, I’ve been waiting for it to come back so I can keep track of what I’m reading.
But ... new chapter of Misoshiru? Gaaaaaaah testing my resolve.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah. It's only 13 episodes, and super worth watching. I think it got ADTRW AOTY for 2018? Everyone loved it including me.

Yeah it was
1. A Place Further than the Universe
2. SSSS.Gridman
3.Yuru Camp
4. Devilman Crybaby
5. Hinamatsuri
6. March Comes in Like a Lion season 2
7. Zombieland Saga
8. Popteamepic
9. Rascal Does not dream of Bunnygirl Sempai
10. Bloom into You
11. Megalobox
12. Planet With
13. Cells at Work
14. Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues
15. Asobi Asobase

Man 2018 was packed.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

So many good shows on that list. Thanks for reminding me that I still have to watch Planet With.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm still sad Akanesasu/Girl in Twilight is the forgotten 2018 show as it was so good but it aired during the same cour as Gridman, Bloom into you and Zombie Land Saga and whelp

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm still sad Akanesasu/Girl in Twilight is the forgotten 2018 show as it was so good but it aired during the same cour as Gridman, Bloom into you and Zombie Land Saga and whelp

Yeah, not many people watched it, plus it came out at the tail end (fall), alongside zombieland, rascal, ssss.gridman and the like, so it understandably got drowned out and people didn't really start hyping it here until after the final episode aired, at which time there wasn't much time left for the poll or for people to catch up.

I kinda wish we did these end of year polls in March or something to help remove recency bias and give people more time to catch up on series.

Julias fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 2, 2021

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Ahhh, that one's on my list too! And I haven't even started on the Fruits Basket remake . . . too many good anime and not enough time.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What was the post apoc elf anime where the bread commits suicide

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I still see akanesasu passed around a bit, which is more than I can say for some other passed-over shows.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imo akanesasu was better than bloom

but i mostly say this because the bloom anime is, all the parts of bloom into you i didn't care about that much and ends immediately before the parts i like

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

verbal enema posted:

What was the post apoc elf anime where the bread commits suicide

Humanity has Declined/jinrui wa suitai shimashita

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Motto posted:

Humanity has Declined/jinrui wa suitai shimashita

ty fren

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

akanesasu is probably one of the best shows of the 2010s

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Watch Samurai Champloo but dubbed imo

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taima posted:

Just got into anime at the ripe age of 35. Watched all of re:zero, Mob Psycho and Im A Spider So What, and enjoyed them all (Spider being the worst obviously but still trashy fun).

What should I watch next anime friends

What was it you liked about them specifically?

With no further critera I'm gonna say Devilman Crybaby just because it's really good.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm extremely disappointed no one has suggested JoJo's Bizarre adventure .

I initially could not get over the animation style but giving it a fair effort, I'm now watching Stardust Crusaders hoping they get to Dio in time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Acerbatus posted:

What was it you liked about them specifically?

With no further critera I'm gonna say Devilman Crybaby just because it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDOWwCp-kQ

gently caress yeah.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok I'm going to watch the Antarctica one that sounds like a good time! And I got the Redline movie. I'm gonna go through all of these recs over time. Thanks again everyone!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gonna ask for recommendations too since it's that time of thread and I've been wanting to ask for some. (Also I suggest Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, both dubbed).

I'm just about finished Revolutionary Girl Utena again and I'd love to watch more anime like that, with a lot of surreal imagery and focus on fundamentally broken characters who can achieve some kind of healing. Should I just watch more Ikuhara shows?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could also try Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom (old) and Kaiba.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

new boogiepop is good too

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paracelsus posted:

Give them Joshiraku as a starter anime.

I loved Joshiraku, but a solid 75% of the jokes require a familiarity with Japanese social-politics. Like, even more than Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. (On top of dating itself really quickly because of it.)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Gonna ask for recommendations too since it's that time of thread and I've been wanting to ask for some. (Also I suggest Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, both dubbed).

I'm just about finished Revolutionary Girl Utena again and I'd love to watch more anime like that, with a lot of surreal imagery and focus on fundamentally broken characters who can achieve some kind of healing. Should I just watch more Ikuhara shows?

If you haven't watched Penguindrum, get on it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cavelcade posted:

The obvious followup would be Ikuhara's other shows, Penguindrum and Sarazanmai. I would also recommend checking out Shōjo Kageki Revue Starlight and Princess Tutu for similarly inspired and surreal shows. Also watch the Revolutionary Girl Utena Movie if you haven't already.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you should watch k

annazuki no miko

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I watched all of Hinamatsuri yesterday and man what a great little show. Lots of respect for the homeless and a little plot among the slice of life stuff

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Carlosologist posted:

I watched all of Hinamatsuri yesterday and man what a great little show. Lots of respect for the homeless and a little plot among the slice of life stuff

Hinamatsuri is fantastic! I'd recommend the manga as well.

Speaking of which why does it take one peace books so goddamn long to release the translated volumes?

8one6 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 2, 2021

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

8one6 posted:

Hinamatsuri is fantastic! I'd recommend the manga as well.

Speaking of which why does it take one peace books so goddamn long to release the translated volumes?

I actually just finished reading the manga too! I kinda wish it got a second season since the stories in the second half of the manga are pretty drat funny. more flexibility since the girls grow up

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AlternateNu posted:

I loved Joshiraku, but a solid 75% of the jokes require a familiarity with Japanese social-politics. Like, even more than Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. (On top of dating itself really quickly because of it.)

There's a lot of just straight up language puns too that the translators try their best to port over, but really don't work very well half of the time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AlternateNu posted:

:thejoke:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Cavelcade posted:

I feel like Haibane Renmei :hr: might be a great fit based on your criteria. It's only 12 episodes long too.

Houseki no Kuni

The FSN Heaven's Feel movies

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cephas posted:

I feel like Haibane Renmei :hr: might be a great fit based on your criteria. It's only 12 episodes long too.
I should rewatch that soon. Especially given how little Haruki Murakami has done for me post 1Q84.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Thanks for the recommendations! Looking forward to checking these out.

Julias posted:

The obvious followup would be Ikuhara's other shows, Penguindrum and Sarazanmai. I would also recommend checking out Shōjo Kageki Revue Starlight and Princess Tutu for similarly inspired and surreal shows. Also watch the Revolutionary Girl Utena Movie if you haven't already.

Also, I have seen the movie and it rules and it's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Somehow I've never seen Akira but now that I set to finally watch it I started wondering if it's better to watch the movie or read the manga first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc they’re meant to compliment each other since the manga author was in charge of the movie which ends up cutting/truncating a bunch of stuff so it can function as a movie. So both?