Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Or you could pay less money and get a 27" 4k IPS monitor or a 32" 4k VA monitor. Or about the same for a 32" 4k IPS with the same screen real estate and twice the pixels. Also it would be a slight step up in PPI from your other monitor rather than a slight step down.

Friends don't let friends buy ultrawides, unless you have some incredibly specific needs and money is irrelevant they make no goddamn sense.

The S2417DG is a TN monitor. It's good as far as TN goes, but just about any IPS or even VA monitor will outperform it in terms of color quality. A VA monitor may show some worse off-axis contrast shifting compared to TN, IPS is just a straight upgrade.

Do you have any recommendations for either 27" or 32"? I know that my 2417 is a TN, I'm just trying to illustrate the low bar that this new monitor needs to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
27" 4k IPS panels can be found easily by searching 4k IPS on Amazon, there are loads of options and they're extremely commoditized so you should just pick whatever has the features you're looking for with good reviews. Do keep in mind that 27" 4k is a significant step up in PPI even from your relatively high PPI reference monitor, so depending on your eyesight/viewing distance you may have trouble fully utilizing the display without scaling. Still, they're cheap and have fantastic image quality, so I'd consider it.

32" 4k VA monitors are fairly common and can be found by searching 4k 32" on Amazon. Again I'd just buy anything with good reviews that has the features you need. I'd stay away from tight radius curves, anything down to 1700R you should probably adapt quickly but the tighter ones are obnoxious. Flat would probably be my preference, though.

There aren't a whole lot of 32" 4k IPS monitors that aren't $1k pro artist displays. I'd probably buy this one if I were in your position.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm not sure if this is the monitor's fault, but after I wake my pc, my monitor turns on but there's nothing but a dark image (it is receiving a signal, because it doesn't go back to sleep). If I put the pc to sleep again and then turn it back on, everything seems to work fine. So maybe this only happens after extended sleeping? Any ideas?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

K8.0 posted:

27" 4k IPS panels can be found easily by searching 4k IPS on Amazon, there are loads of options and they're extremely commoditized so you should just pick whatever has the features you're looking for with good reviews. Do keep in mind that 27" 4k is a significant step up in PPI even from your relatively high PPI reference monitor, so depending on your eyesight/viewing distance you may have trouble fully utilizing the display without scaling. Still, they're cheap and have fantastic image quality, so I'd consider it.

32" 4k VA monitors are fairly common and can be found by searching 4k 32" on Amazon. Again I'd just buy anything with good reviews that has the features you need. I'd stay away from tight radius curves, anything down to 1700R you should probably adapt quickly but the tighter ones are obnoxious. Flat would probably be my preference, though.

There aren't a whole lot of 32" 4k IPS monitors that aren't $1k pro artist displays. I'd probably buy this one if I were in your position.

So you don't have any recommendations other than some vague hand waving of "get whatever has good reviews". Also that monitor is almost double the price of the one I listed. Thanks for zero help!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kimcicle posted:

So you don't have any recommendations other than some vague hand waving of "get whatever has good reviews". Also that monitor is almost double the price of the one I listed. Thanks for zero help!

What do you mean double? The LG he specifically recommended is $560.99 on Amazon.ca and the one you linked is $499.99 Canadian dollars.

Maybe you should have specified your budget instead of vaguely stating "Costco has a sale." Because if you can snag that ultrawide for $250 then that's probably a great deal and you should do it.

I don't know what panel is in that ultrawide screen, but I am perfectly happy with the Samsung panel in my Monoprice 34" 1440p ultrawide.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 30, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Is the only difference that this is G-SYNC instead of Freesync compared to the LG 32GN650-B?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

What do you mean double? The LG he specifically recommended is $560.99 on Amazon.ca and the one you linked is $499.99 Canadian dollars.

Maybe you should have specified your budget instead of vaguely stating "Costco has a sale." Because if you can snag that ultrawide for $250 then that's probably a great deal and you should do it.

I don't know what panel is in that ultrawide screen, but I am perfectly happy with the Samsung panel in my Monoprice 34" 1440p ultrawide.

The ultrawide is currently $299 USD, and the one that was linked is showing $550 USD. Of course I check it again right now and it's $499, so not quite double.

I guess my budget was implied when I linked a $300 monitor that I'd like to spend around $300.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 30, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kimcicle posted:

The ultrawide is currently $299 USD, and the one that was linked is showing $550 USD. Of course I check it again right now and it's $499, so not quite double.

I guess my budget was implied when I linked a $300 monitor that I'd like to spend around $300, but whatever.

Well, I mean, in all fairness the price of a Samsung ultrawide on Samsung.com would probably not reflect the price of a Samsung ultrawide at a Costco warehouse. :v:

Unless I've grossly misunderstood what you've said which is possible.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Well, I mean, in all fairness the price of a Samsung ultrawide on Samsung.com would probably not reflect the price of a Samsung ultrawide at a Costco warehouse. :v:

Unless I've grossly misunderstood what you've said which is possible.

I realize my post wasn't clear. :shobon: The samsung ultrawide is $300 at costco. The monitor that K8.0 linked (LG 32UN650-W) is $500, which is a bit over what I'd like to spend on a work monitor out of my own pocket.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Assuming you're in the US, there are still plenty of 27" 4k IPS monitors around there. This one is $270 right now. I didn't recommend any of them because there are tons of options at tons of price points that change all the time and you should do the simple two word search yourself and see what you think.

At $300 the choice between a 27" 4k and 34" 1440p ultrawide is going to come down more to whether you want more pixels or more size. That's another thing I can't tell you. You already have a higher than 1440p-standard DPI monitor that you like, so maybe 4k 27" would work well for you, but also maybe it's a bit on the small side and you wouldn't get full use of the resolution. That's up to you to decide. If you don't think it's big enough, consider one of the 4k 32" VAs, which are about the same screen real estate as a 1440p ultrawide but far more pixels.

It's loving mindblowing that I gave you two simple searches to do and then a third option and instead of taking 30 loving seconds to type two two word searches into amazon you decided to get mad.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Philman posted:

Gigabyte M27Q has a subpixel design issue which makes some text blurry. I chose against it for this reason and because the price difference was small. It does have a KVM which is cool. It's supposed to be much more responsive.

I've been shopping too and the M27Q is high on my list, so I am curious if anyone here bought it and then found this to be a problem.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MonkeyFit posted:

Who has that? Who do I need to buy from to get that?
Best Buy, their Geek Squad Protection plan.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Looking for a pair of monitors to get my wife for her WFH setup. She does Data Analytics type work (including Visualizations).

Requirements:
Prefer just (2) monitors 27”+ and not (3) 24”+
At least 1440 resolution
Have to be white with no black on the casing. Mount can be whatever because this is going on ergotron arms
Displayport connection
VESA mount for desk mount arms

Was looking at dual Viotek GN34CW but they are not available anywhere.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Do you care about colors on the rear or only the front?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MonkeyFit posted:

So I just got a 3090. Do I go ultrawide 1440p or 4k monitor? I'm currently running a 10 year old Samsung Syncmaster 2443 until I figure it out, but the backlight bleed is atrocious compared to modern stuff.

personally I think the five monitors worth considering for a high-end setup are 27" 1440p, 34" 1440p ultrawide, 38" 1600p ultrawide, and 4K144 27", and 4K144 32".

basically, right now you are paying a premium for ultrawide, there's simply no way around that. The ultrawides that you want to be looking at are around double/triple the price of their 16:9 equivalents, and the 16:9 equivalents aren't cheap to begin with. If you can stomach that, they're really nice, but even still they are not for everyone. I don't think it's reasonable to do multi-monitor with a 34" (unless you put it over the top) but you can use them like two almost-square monitors if you like. And conversely it's really hard to game on a dual-screen setup because you have bezels in the middle of your span, which is where your crosshairs are and so on, so a dual screen setup only works like a single monitor in gaming. But not all games support them, especially older games may not have good support for ultrawide, and NVIDIA doesn't support non-native ratios for DSR (so while you can run old games on them at 16:9 in native resolution, you can't use DSR to run an old game at double/quadruple the native resolution for better quality unless it's in ultrawide mode). And some games explicitly poo poo on them (hi Overwatch) to "keep things fair" (of course, it's perfectly "fair" to run at 360 hz refresh rate against 60 hz players!).

the other decision you need to make is physical size vs vertical resolution. Most people find 4K at 27" requires a bit of UI scaling, but it does give a boost to PPI (it's like "retina" on Apple) which makes things look smoother. 32" 4K or 27" 1440p is just about right. 34" 1440p and 38" 1600p maintain (roughly) the same PPI as 32" 4K or 27" 1440p. Once you've settled on a PPI the comparison becomes "how much physical space do you want". 32" 4K is going to give you physically more screen area than 27" 1440p at roughly the same PPI for example.

and then all of that has to be balanced against cost. Not just the cost of the monitor itself, but the cost to drive it. 4K 144 Hz has perpetually been at the limits of what can be driven with the most expensive possible GPUs. 1440p can be driven at a much higher refresh with that same top-end GPU, or can be driven at moderate settings/framerate by a midrange GPU. Bear in mind that you probably keep a monitor for 5+ years so you will be locked into probably at least one more refresh cycle buying super-high-end hardware if you go 4K144.

so with all that said:

I went from 27" 4K60 down to 27" 1440p144 and then up to 34" 1440p ultrawide and I don't regret any of those moves except the 4K60. I still have the 27" 4K60 monitor for photo editing but the 1440p and 1440p ultrawide monitors are the best all-rounders for people who do both productivity and gaming. Whether you end up going 27" or 34" 1440p is down to whether you can stomach paying double/triple the cost for something that is not always beneficial - it doesn't work in all games, and some people just prefer having two separate monitors. It is very nice, but it's up to you whether it's worth the cost. And the 38" 1600p monitors are basically the same as the 34" but one step bigger and twice again as expensive, with a minor tradeoff in refresh rate.

I personally think the 27" 4K144 monitors are a gimmick as far as gaming: most people end up using PPI scaling that limits the benefit of the 4K resolution on the desktop, it's lower-refresh than can be achieved on 1440p (144 hz vs 180 hz, or you can get 144 hz substantially cheaper), and it's harder to drive (lower fps for a given amount of hardware). 32" 4K144 is nice but eye-wateringly expensive and just starting to hit the market. I personally wouldn't count the miniLED/HDR as a major feature yet, it's still a fairly limited number of dimming zones and I think it'll still have some problems with blooming, but less so than the previous (terrible) FALD implementations.

the 1440p and 1440p ultrawides have been the gold standard for high-end gaming rigs for years now and there's good reason for that. The super-high-refresh 1080p and the 4K144 monitors both have specific audiences (ultra-sweaty streamers for 1080p, and productivity-focused users or users who play slower-paced single-player titles, or older titles that are easy to run for 4K) but the 1440p panels are the best all-rounders for the "average" situation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 30, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up spending way over what I originally budgeted and have gotten a LG OLED55BXPUA. It's a G-Sync compatible 55" OLED TV at that can push 4k 120hz over HDMI 2.1. I also got the 5 year geek squad plan on it that covers image burn in. It was $1300 at Best Buy +$300 for the protection plan. But I have a lot of rearranging to do in tye computer room now. I'm so excited for when it shows up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the OLEDs are great panels, definitely a solid consideration vs the high-end monitors too considering they're in the same price bracket!

do be sure to go to a dark theme for your windows, set a black desktop, and set taskbar to disappear (I think someone mentioned there was a tool that does something like this for desktop icons too?) to minimize burn-in, but it's supposed to be a lot better than the early panels

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

K8.0 posted:

Do you care about colors on the rear or only the front?

Front and rear :-/.

There are some out there with a white rear and a black or silver face.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nollij posted:

Front and rear :-/.

There are some out there with a white rear and a black or silver face.

Your wife is really dedicated to the stormtrooper esthetic, huh?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MonkeyFit posted:

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up spending way over what I originally budgeted and have gotten a LG OLED55BXPUA. It's a G-Sync compatible 55" OLED TV at that can push 4k 120hz over HDMI 2.1. I also got the 5 year geek squad plan on it that covers image burn in. It was $1300 at Best Buy +$300 for the protection plan. But I have a lot of rearranging to do in tye computer room now. I'm so excited for when it shows up.

Burn in on the C9 and newer is essentially a non factor but I get that peace of mind is worth it for some.

You’re going to love 4k/120 hz HDMI 2.1 VRR OLED gaming. It’s loving nuts. I just played through shadow of the tomb raider and was just…constantly amazed. Only downside is you’ll have trouble going back to literally anything else, but what can you do.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Asus ROG Swift PG279QM review: perhaps the best higher-end 1440p240 at $850:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3LLfm7nl0

Missing:

- Backlight strobing (ULMB)
- Pre-calibration
- 4K support (says in manual, not review)

Does have: excellent sRGB emulation.

For a cheaper option without native G-Sync, we'll have to wait what the ROG Strix XG27AQM performs like. It's probably gonna be a while before they get a copy of it.

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 1, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FuturePastNow posted:

I've been shopping too and the M27Q is high on my list, so I am curious if anyone here bought it and then found this to be a problem.

Not big enough to return the monitor, but I do consider it a downside.

(the zoom exaggerates it somewhat)

I've mostly gotten used to it, but small text in new windows settings is pretty hideous. It's not a BIG deal, and plenty of people probably won't even notice it, but it is there.

Abode Acrobat apparently also has this issue (doesn't use the system ClearType settings)

I should mention these are outliers. Most apps handle text just fine.

e:though I did notice that Chrome actually does detect greyscale font aliasing. But that looks worse everywhere else. It just ignores the BGR setting, defaulting back to RGB.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 1, 2021

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019
I've been trying to find a 32" 4K 120hz (or 144hz) IPS monitor and it seems like every possible option isn't out yet? Am I right about that?

I don't get why, there are many high refresh 4K 27 inch displays already out, shouldn't those be harder to make than 32 inch because of the higher pixel density?

I'm currently on a 27" 1440p60hz main monitor and a secondary 24" 1080p60hz. I'm using these for gaming and also for wfh programming and the 1080p display is VERY constraining for my adhd "open ALL the windows" coding habits. Therefore I want as much space as possible which is why I want 4K and I also want to use as little scaling as I can to actually take advantage of it, which is why I want 32 inch. But since I also game on this I also want high refresh, and I'll just eat the painful cost of the high end system needed to drive it. Apparently this is too niche.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Not sure if I should ask here or the TV thread, but are OLED's really that bad of an idea to use as a computer monitor?

I hoop up my gaming/general PC to my TV, and am thinking of purchasing a LG CX. But apparently that's a bad idea due to burn-in?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's not a bad idea, it's actually a great idea. I posted my setup earlier, but I bought a C1 for gaming and it's great. Burn in is still a thing, but probably only if you watch CNN or something with a persistent logo a few hours a day. If you use it as the main monitor, then use a black background and hide the taskbar. Lots of people are using the CX48 as a primary monitor and it has been fine.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or the TV thread, but are OLED's really that bad of an idea to use as a computer monitor?

I hoop up my gaming/general PC to my TV, and am thinking of purchasing a LG CX. But apparently that's a bad idea due to burn-in?

RTings has an on-going burn-in test with some of their OLED TVs running 24/7 on news channels as a worst case and while it does become noticeable with that, in real world usage it's going to take a longer time to get there, especially if you do things like hide the taskbar or just have the monitor turn off after 30 minutes of non-usage. I admit, the possibility of burn-in is one of the things making me hesitant about OLED, but seeing that definitely convinced me it wasn't that big of a deal. Now if only someone would make a 32" 144hz OLED monitor...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Not that the average person should care but it’s worth noting that OLED is great for monitor use with the appropriate precautions but it’s poor for long term eye fatigue as the pixels essentially emulate a flickering backlight (albeit on a per pixel basis) to modulate brightness. No backlight helps though. But if you already experience eye fatigue from high-usage patterns for a job or whatever, it’s definitely something to keep in mind.

When I started exhibiting severe eye fatigue from conputer vision syndrome, My gaming 4k/120hz C9 was what reeeealllly hosed my eyes, even more than my flickering backlight 5k2k monitor. I would get up from an OLED gaming session and my eyes would be bloodshot. As a result I am currently not gaming on the OLED, though hope to go back to it in a few weeks as my symptoms improve (and I have a U4021QW 40 inch 5k2k arriving soon to help with eye health as well).

I get that this is a non factor for most but I had absolutely no problems with eye fatigue until last year when it all happened at once. Take care of your eyes. Our generation is extremely exposed to the long term effects of CVS and while I am in the front of that cohort, having used screens for 10-12 hours a day for about 20 years for work and pleasure, it would behoove people who have excessive usage patterns to start thinking about this stuff before it becomes a problem later.

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 2, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

UGH! I finally got around to setting up a monitor arm my brother got me and it didn’t work. Monitor kept sinking even at the highest torque. It says rated for 17lbs and my AW34 ultra wide says it is 16lbs by Itself. And stupid me threw out some of the extra bits so I don’t think Amazon will take it back.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VHR4QNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RAGDP9YF48AQTRJNT94R

Time to go back and search for something that can handle this.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Not that the average person should care but it’s worth noting that OLED is great for monitor use with the appropriate precautions but it’s poor for long term eye fatigue as the pixels essentially emulate a flickering backlight (albeit on a per pixel basis) to modulate brightness. No backlight helps though. But if you already experience eye fatigue from high-usage patterns for a job or whatever, it’s definitely something to keep in mind.

When I started exhibiting severe eye fatigue from conputer vision syndrome, My gaming 4k/120hz C9 was what reeeealllly hosed my eyes, even more than my flickering backlight 5k2k monitor. I would get up from an OLED gaming session and my eyes would be bloodshot. As a result I am currently not gaming on the OLED, though hope to go back to it in a few weeks as my symptoms improve (and I have a U4021QW 40 inch 5k2k arriving soon to help with eye health as well).

I get that this is a non factor for most but I had absolutely no problems with eye fatigue until last year when it all happened at once. Take care of your eyes. Our generation is extremely exposed to the long term effects of CVS and while I am in the front of that cohort, having used screens for 10-12 hours a day for about 20 years for work and pleasure, it would behoove people who have excessive usage patterns to start thinking about this stuff before it becomes a problem later.

have you got your TV firmware up to date? there was reports of flickering happening when VRR was in use and the latest Firmware is meant to have got rid of that

Also I still stand by the CX48 being the best gaming monitor you can buy at this price point providing you have the desk space for it to be back enough for your taste.

4K 120fps HRD and OLED is just stunning and if the Rratings OLED testing is anything to go by, if you take all the steps to reduce burn in, it will last you years before you notice anything close to burn in

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
48" just sounds loving huge, is it really ergonomically sound to use something that big as a computer monitor? I watched one reviewer and he said he played a bunch of games in windowed mode because it was too straining to look at the whole screen unless it was a controller game he could sit back for. Seems crazy to pay for all that screen only to not use it.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
You just need to have the depth of something like a corner desk to let you push it back enough, the reviewers you can see that just did a drop in replacement for even a 32 inch monitor at the same physical obviously had issues with it being too big

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Scarecow posted:

have you got your TV firmware up to date? there was reports of flickering happening when VRR was in use and the latest Firmware is meant to have got rid of that

Also I still stand by the CX48 being the best gaming monitor you can buy at this price point providing you have the desk space for it to be back enough for your taste.

4K 120fps HRD and OLED is just stunning and if the Rratings OLED testing is anything to go by, if you take all the steps to reduce burn in, it will last you years before you notice anything close to burn in

What are we talking about when we talk about "years" here?

Like 4 or 5?

My computer is on like 5 hours a day on weekdays and like 15 on weekends.

I want this TV to last me nearly a decade.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What are we talking about when we talk about "years" here?

Like 4 or 5?

My computer is on like 5 hours a day on weekdays and like 15 on weekends.

I want this TV to last me nearly a decade.

quote:

Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

Yeah you might have a problem if you want to use it as a PC monitor for a decade.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Michaelis posted:

I've been trying to find a 32" 4K 120hz (or 144hz) IPS monitor and it seems like every possible option isn't out yet? Am I right about that?

I don't get why, there are many high refresh 4K 27 inch displays already out, shouldn't those be harder to make than 32 inch because of the higher pixel density?

I'm currently on a 27" 1440p60hz main monitor and a secondary 24" 1080p60hz. I'm using these for gaming and also for wfh programming and the 1080p display is VERY constraining for my adhd "open ALL the windows" coding habits. Therefore I want as much space as possible which is why I want 4K and I also want to use as little scaling as I can to actually take advantage of it, which is why I want 32 inch. But since I also game on this I also want high refresh, and I'll just eat the painful cost of the high end system needed to drive it. Apparently this is too niche.

Looks like this got missed, so I'll field this one:
There are a bunch of them coming out this year, and this TFT Central article is worth a read to get an idea of some of the models on the way: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/when-will-the-first-32-sized-monitors-arrive-with-4k-and-high-refresh-rate-the-race-is-on/

By the way, Asus has not one, but three different monitors in that spec coming out

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 2, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shipon posted:

Yeah you might have a problem if you want to use it as a PC monitor for a decade.

I mean, will this still occur if I use proper precautions? Like use a screensaver and "reimage" my TV after every 2 hours of use?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
What's the new hottness when it comes to budget 1440p IPS monitors?

Does AOC still have the best stuff or is there a new budget leader?

I have a TN 1440p 144hz Acer display I bought in Nov 2019 right before covid started to kick off.

At the time I just needed a new screen so I went to microcenter with $300 and told the sales guy I wanted "the best" IPS monitor I could get for $300 and he sold me a TN panel...

Still the stand is actually really nice and it blows the doors off of my lovely 1080p display from 2012. So much so that the 1080p screen (which I now use as my second monitor) looks so loving bad I'm looking into getting another screen to replace my "main" gaming screen.

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019

Nomyth posted:

Looks like this got missed, so I'll field this one:
There are a bunch of them coming out this year, and this TFT Central article is worth a read to get an idea of some of the models on the way: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/when-will-the-first-32-sized-monitors-arrive-with-4k-and-high-refresh-rate-the-race-is-on/

By the way, Asus has not one, but three different monitors in that spec coming out

It seems like it won't be too long a wait, I'll probably be able to get one by the end of the year, that's good news to me. I didn't know about many of those models, I have a better idea what to look out for, thank you very much!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Cygni posted:

Both monitors have identical panels inside (LM270WQA-SSA1), LG just chooses not to market the cheaper version the same way. There are lots of other monitors out there with the same panel with varying driverboards, software, and prices, but the same basic color and motion capabilities, specifically:

LG 27GL850
LG 27GL83A
LG 27GN850
ViewSonic XG270GQ
Lenovo Y27Q-20
AOC AG273QXP
Dell S2721DGF (technically a different panel variant, but the specs seem identical?)
Acer CP3271U
Philips 275M1RZ
HP Omen 27i
Eve Spectrum QHD
Gigabyte G27Q
MSI PAG272QR
MSI PAG272QR2 (maybe? claims to have quantum dot?)

Here is the list of QHD 27" with that LG panel.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Something I didn't think about. Do I actually need a HDMI 2.1 rated cable to get 4k 120Hz? Or is that mostly all marketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MonkeyFit posted:

Something I didn't think about. Do I actually need a HDMI 2.1 rated cable to get 4k 120Hz? Or is that mostly all marketing?
You don't need one that is officially certified, but you need a high speed cable to carry that signal or you won't get 120hz. I got this one from Amazon which works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS6SPCS/

Also I should note that you need to check the resolution in the nVidia control panel. There are the normal resolutions at the top, but you have to go down to the PC settings and use those resolutions to get 120hz.