Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FMguru posted:

the htc facebook phone

lol. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FMguru posted:

the htc facebook phone

now post the other facebook phone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress, this would actually be a really good april fool's joke to play on my class. i hope i remember it next year

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

the htc facebook phone

has anyone brought up the ROKR

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rokr? how about this:

steve jobs told george bodenheimer (then espn ceo) that this phone was the dumbest loving idea he had ever heard after george introduced himself at job's first disney board meeting. jobs then turned around and left the dude standing there slackjawed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wait, is that an espn 2 branded phone???

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

wait, is that an espn 2 branded phone???

no just espn, if you're referring to the button it's just the espn e

they actually ran an espn mvno on sprint for like a year

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ah, i see

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

can u image tho! that would be crazy.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

mediaphage posted:

no just espn, if you're referring to the button it's just the espn e

they actually ran an espn mvno on sprint for like a year
all of the people and work involved spinning up a vanity mvno and then all that again to shut it down/shift accounts to whoever all because some exec forget to take their ativan before lunch to take the edge off their mid-morning adderall/frappucino a year and a half ago.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Laslow posted:

all of the people and work involved spinning up a vanity mvno and then all that again to shut it down/shift accounts to whoever all because some exec forget to take their ativan before lunch to take the edge off their mid-morning adderall/frappucino a year and a half ago.

i know, it's wacky. mvnos in general are pretty wild in terms of the weird poo poo that pops up from time to time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

when jobs met him and told him that, the iphone was already in development and would launch less than a year later.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
sports illustrated did it first and better anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzsGLe9YuwE

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

has anyone brought up the ROKR

I had one and it was totally sick. Can you believe it stores like, almost 100 songs? And connects to iTunes!?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

my homie dhall posted:

I had one and it was totally sick. Can you believe it stores like, almost 100 songs? And connects to iTunes!?

had to have a special headphone adapter too! basically apples first phone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tile. remember tile?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

dreamhost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tile. remember tile?

like the little mesh find-your-keys things?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tile. remember tile?

tile's back, in apple form!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The Helio Ocean

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Firesheep.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh man

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nintendogs

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Seaman, but not just the name, the rest of it too.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mediaphage posted:

nintendogs

brain age

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

imagine telling an early 00s penguincon attendee that the same guy would be responsible for disgracing rms and ending bill gates marriage

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Just got an email from Ello that someone new is following me there.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just remembered the Google Barge in SF bay lmao

It was all hush-hush but obvious they were trying to do something big for Google Glass but it just sat there forever.

Turns out it was going to be a floating store/showcase thing and was scrapped because google couldn’t do what they wanted without it also being a death trap. For some reason the coast guard agreed to an NDA (which iirc was a violation of some major rule) so we didn’t hear about it until later.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

that it was for glass was a late discovery; the rumors were bananas like it was for containerized data centers running on tidal power or similar near scifi ideas instead of a showroom

key tipping point from the balloon internet futurist moonshot era to boring uncool consumer advertising company

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

glass having the backlash it did in public was really funny at the time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Didn't intel do something with containerized datacenters where they just drop them in the ocean and use the water as a heatsink?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Didn't intel do something with containerized datacenters where they just drop them in the ocean and use the water as a heatsink?

I think it was Microsoft, and turns out saltwater is terrible for computer

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Boiled Water posted:

I think it was Microsoft, and turns out saltwater is terrible for computer

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/tech/microsoft-underwater-data-center/index.html

they say it had 1/8th the rate of hardware failures as land based equipment

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

`Nemesis posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/tech/microsoft-underwater-data-center/index.html

they say it had 1/8th the rate of hardware failures as land based equipment

which is why Microsoft announced a huge expansion in underwater data centers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

literally boiling the oceans

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i refuse to accept that they were unable to figure out how to pump seawater 100 meters up onto a beach and back. that whole thing was dumb as gently caress

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pumping seawater up and down requires energy, moving parts, filters, cleaning, and moving highly corrosive water around.

Just plopping in the ocean as a passive solution was much more clever. As long as the container itself and the lines leading to it stay passively waterproof it should work pretty drat well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
first maintenance visit erases all of those cost advantages. it's extremely doing-your-math-in-ink thinking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh also there's no physical security at the bottom of the _fucking ocean_ so you can't use it to store any data worth anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

why do any maintenance when you could just abandon it and sink a new one to use