Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Another five runs not even getting to the boss now. I'm actually getting worse I think, or the enemies are getting harder, I dunno. This is frustrating. Video below is the most recent death, but all my deaths are basically just like this. You can see I get swarmed and lose all my health in about five seconds, I try to create space but then just get flanked. And if I don't get flanked like this I get hit with the long distance rapid fire orbs from the small orange dogs, or the beam from the flying octopuses, or one of another hard hitting fast attacks from all sides. Aside from just sitting in the entryway of every room and picking dudes off one by one I'm just not getting this. I've never been good at shooters on consoles, though I've always been at least competent-ish. This might just not be for me :( I love so much about the game, I just wish it loved me back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78oKGLbALgQ

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Critical posted:

loot transmitted disease
Returnal: Loot Transmitted Diseases

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

The Walrus posted:

I love so much about the game, I just wish it loved me back
Don't ever be afraid to spray'n'pray and disengage. The starter pistol has some ludicrous stagger but every gun will interrupt the windups, so if you just tag a few and dodge the rest, ping-ponging around like a konami joint, never stop never stopping and just grinding away you can usually come out with relatively few hits taken. I don't pretend to be super most greaterest or anything; the overall playstyle just gels well with my approach to games entirely.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i will take a pistol or carbine over a shotgun every single time unless the shotgun has slug rounds and is two levels over my current gun. gently caress wide maw, makes anything more than ten feet away untouchable

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Those little flying dudes that spray rockets and dive bomb you are rough. Was having an awesome run until I tried a challenge room and had to deal with swarms of them at once.

I also had a dash debuff so that made it way worse.

I think if I'd been more comfortable alternating grapple > dash I would've been ok

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man Selene can fuckin move when she sprints.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally got to biome 2 on my 11th run. Now that I understand how the health powerups work and that I should hold back on opening chests until I get that sweet sweet proficiency up, I feel like I'm able to make more out of working through that first biome, and that there's a lot less stress to be had about building up for that boss.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fix posted:

Finally got to biome 2 on my 11th run. Now that I understand how the health powerups work and that I should hold back on opening chests until I get that sweet sweet proficiency up, I feel like I'm able to make more out of working through that first biome, and that there's a lot less stress to be had about building up for that boss.

Can you explain all this? I've kinda hit a wall and I can't get out of the first biome. I can clear all the rooms no problem at this point but the boss gets me every time. Better yet, is there good primer somewhere I can read? I'm still sorta confused about weapon perks and what you actually keep on death.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you explain all this? I've kinda hit a wall and I can't get out of the first biome. I can clear all the rooms no problem at this point but the boss gets me every time. Better yet, is there good primer somewhere I can read? I'm still sorta confused about weapon perks and what you actually keep on death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqUWvXfkqU

Try that video. It helped explain a couple of things about maxing health. I only got beyond the first stage because I was carrying an astronaut figure and a full health refill item. If you can leave a bunch of health out in the rooms and go back to your ship to heal you can pick those up later and increase your max health.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't know if I'll ever be bothered running around biome 1 picking poo poo up. I've only just started 3, but 2 just dumps higher proficiency stuff on you straight away and you can pick up a bunch of HP increases just bee-lining to the teleporter room.

I also think killing enemies in biome 1 yields lovely proficiency and obolites so you might as well just get back to business than waste time in biome 1 and then die anyway.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just did like my 5th run and wasn’t expecting to do much and actually made it all the way to the first boss and one shot him with a pistol with a sliver of health left. Then made it pretty far in world two. Game owns, can’t wait to do the next run.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Another five runs not even getting to the boss now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78oKGLbALgQ

I’m not actually good, but my ignorant opinion is that you’re not dashing nearly enough. Whenever enemies are nearby, just spam dash and sprint away until you can abuse cover to take potshots at them. Don’t try to fight from close range when swarmed, you’ll get hit in the back way too often.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I highly recommend switching Jump and Dodge to L1 and R1, being able to do those without taking your thumb off the stick is a game changer. Similarly move Melee to R3. I put scan on X and consumable on Square. Circle is unused in this setup.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

JBP posted:

I don't know if I'll ever be bothered running around biome 1 picking poo poo up. I've only just started 3, but 2 just dumps higher proficiency stuff on you straight away and you can pick up a bunch of HP increases just bee-lining to the teleporter room.

I also think killing enemies in biome 1 yields lovely proficiency and obolites so you might as well just get back to business than waste time in biome 1 and then die anyway.

Biome 1 usually tends to have lots of Silphium and tons of easy enemies, so it generally pays to get stocked up in area 1 even if you intend to jump straight to area 3. Once you have the grappling hook you can get to so much of the area that you'd be wasting a lot of potential health ups and access to some artifacts if you didn't go jumping everywhere.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fix posted:

I should hold back on opening chests until I get that sweet sweet proficiency up,

fuuuuuck. good call.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

How do you beat the part where you need to get a PS5

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

From this video I see that you are not running fast enough and not dashing nearly enough. Go into settings and turn on always on run. Ensure you are dashing like, all the time. You are invincible while you dash. It might take growing more hand eye coordination and reaction time that you don’t yet have, but hitting dash the moment you detect something plunging at you would have saved you from every hit in that video.

The other thing I notice is that there are a lot of enemies alive in that room while you are in the center of it. You should try to kill those bats from far off, from ideally the opening of the room while they are moving towards you. As you are clearing away things from a distance stay in cover and duck in and out of cover to avoid getting hit from enemy attacks. A pillar or something can soak up all of the enemy energy blobs for you.

My only other thought is that you can melee enemies when they get in your face and having melee on R3 (pushing the right stick down) makes this a snap you don’t even have to think about. Something got in your face? Click down with the right thumb. It’s dead or at least staggered.

Post longer videos! We are happy to help. I’m way deep in biome 3 (which is awesome btw) it has to be ripped straight out of Belksinski paintings it’s so close to his art style. I just got the achievement for 200% health and a thermobaric seeker grenade launcher. Anyone else find this weapon yet? It blows stuff up. It’s incredibly op.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I do have always run on and I'm pretty sure I was just being stunlocked there so I couldn't dash. I hear you on not going into the middle of rooms though for sure lol, I just need to find that balance between being so cautious that it's boring and being reckless. I'll post some longer vids though if I can't progress tomorrow though, thanks.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Carmant posted:

How do you beat the part where you need to get a PS5

This is the true roguelike

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am absolutely terrible at these style of games and very much do not track how many runs I’ve been on. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd biome on under 10 runs seems absolutely Herculean to me. I must have died 20 times getting Phrike down, only ventured in the Wastes like 5-6 times.

Sort of getting the impression that I can’t use treasure rooms on good runs. The “don’t move” trick doesn’t work on some rooms where you get dropped in, the boss just instantly spawns and kills me with attacks that are colors I haven’t even seen before, but you know what? That’s fine! It’s a little annoying but honestly the game seems very much designed around occasionally just giving you a bad seed and skullfucking you no matter what. I learned to love it in Dark Souls I will learn to love it here.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Wanna obviate those treasure room bosses? Electrospike whatnot thingymabobber. DOT while you dash around picking up health and being a doofus makes everything so much mucher. Of course I tend to run out of steam about halfway through actual bosses but that's because I'm old and arthritic and bad at games.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

yeah swapping the dash and jump to shoulder buttons is a game changer

I almost no-hit the entire first biome until the last phase of the boss when it got me with the doughnut/slap combo. (tbf it was an easy rear end run, only a couple red doggos and a few spitting trees) Because I took no damage every health drop was a resin and i had 130% health before i even hit the "extend integrity by 25%" fabricator after clearing everything.

Then like three areas into the desert two of those loving hammerhead squid things spawned on top of me and played ping pong with my parasite addled corpse

Casnorf posted:

Wanna obviate those treasure room bosses? Electrospike whatnot thingymabobber. DOT while you dash around picking up health and being a doofus makes everything so much mucher. Of course I tend to run out of steam about halfway through actual bosses but that's because I'm old and arthritic and bad at games.

yeah whoever said they were bad in the kotaku tip article never deleted a malignant spawn with spike before. they're amazing

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finally managed to get Nemesis down, literally with a sliver of health left. Got my story infusion and on to biome 4.

The new area definitely steps it up a notch.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Critical posted:

yeah whoever said they were bad in the kotaku tip article never deleted a malignant spawn with spike before. they're amazing
Wait'll you get an electroweb. It's basically a DOT shotgun, fantastic for area denial and heaven help any enemy who faces a voidbeam electroweb, hahahaha.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Loving this game so far, but I've had a couple bugs/crashes that straight up killed good runs. The first was a straight up crash; the second was my controller disconnecting while I was away for a few minutes, and when I can back and reconnected the controller the game just got stuck on "Please Wait..." endlessly until I hard booted the PS5.

I hope that House Marque can come up with some sort of mid-run saving/recovery system that allows for coming back from a crash without the run going down the tube, because god drat is it demotivating to lose an hour or two to bugs.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Casnorf posted:

Wait'll you get an electroweb. It's basically a DOT shotgun, fantastic for area denial and heaven help any enemy who faces a voidbeam electroweb, hahahaha.

Were you saying you had that gun in the first biome? I haven't run across it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This game just crashed on me and took a little bit of my soul with it.

I was walking up to the second boss with a total beast of a build, I am heartbroken. It took so long.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after careful consideration i'm going to say that biome 3's enemies are the biggest bastards of the lot. those rocket drones are by far the worst low-tier enemy in the game and those mechs combine the severed's mobility with a hideous amount of firepower

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Waited all day for the challenge to roll over, made sure I was wearing the basic suit before resetting the cycle and going in for challenge room...

Door is bugged AGAIN! Really took the wind out of my sails and I don’t even feel like playing lmao. Just sucks there is absolutely nothing I can interact with, you can’t even go back in the shop to sleep and refresh.

Would love to actually get to play this game I’ve been hyping for months.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Would love to actually get to play this game I’ve been hyping for months.

I couldn't agree more, the great game is a pile of poo poo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That is so weird I do not have that issue at all. Are you online(I’m sure you are)?

I was on my third run total and made it to the boss of biome 3. I had something obscene like 225% health and some absolute slammer health on hit and damage perks and whatnot. The boss had less than 50% health left on his final phase and he killed me so fast. That final phase is so nuts. So so nuts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
biome 3 boss is actually kind of a wimp once you get past the visual overload, but that's not exactly easy the first time you're teleported to Alien Brain Hell-in-a-Cell. its bullet patterns are all fairly slow and simple and you're given a ton of free i-frames with all the grapple points, most of the danger comes from its helpers' support fire and your own brain misfiring from leapfrogging around the platforms on his last phase

i feel sorry for whatever schmuck walks into that fight with a shotgun

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That 3D sound design tho

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1388621339808845827?s=21

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I've had the aforementioned bug happen a couple times and had to restart. Slightly annoying but before this I was playing The Show 21 and Path of Exile so this is a breath of fresh air by comparison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I’m sitting in the doorway for the second boss and I thought it’d be like the first were maybe you get a new ability, but it doesn’t seem like it? Is there really nothing in the second area like that?

I know it’s going to kill me so it’d be nice to wake up with something new since this run has been like 2+ hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

So I’m sitting in the doorway for the second boss and I thought it’d be like the first were maybe you get a new ability, but it doesn’t seem like it? Is there really nothing in the second area like that?

I know it’s going to kill me so it’d be nice to wake up with something new since this run has been like 2+ hours.

second boss's defeat gets you the grappling hook

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you got a good pair of headphones for it (I had a few that I switched between), the 3D audio is kind of amazing in this game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's also very helpful for finding the hidden switches to unlock the chest gates, they emit a distinct pulsing sound when you're aiming down your gunsights

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Cleared out Biome 4, the boss was a cakewalk compared to the previous 3. They've done a really job in making all the worlds look and feel pretty different.

Hollowseeker with serrated projectiles is probably my favorite weapon, the portal beam perk is AWESOME as well, it freaked the poo poo out of me at first because I thought it was an enemies' attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Me when I pop the consumable that makes me make shockwaves when I land from a jump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DP7St_G2IU&t=48s