Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

friendlyfire posted:

They're probably deciding whose head to serve.
Nah they just called it a week early then went to the beach or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They also just shelved Imperator

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

TMMadman posted:

So I got bored with my Portugal New World game and then played a bit as Kongo but wasn't really feeling it. Then I thought about playing Bengal or Vijayanagar but wasn't really feeling it either.

So went ahead and stated an Aztex ironman game even though i recently played them in a normal game. I just wanted to see if I could do a little better. I'm doing the flip to animist and dev for institutions route but i'm trying to decide if it's better to dev just Mexicol for both feudalism and renaissance, or if I should dev Mexico for feudalism and then dev up Texcoco for renaissance.

Basically is it better in the early game to have one province at around 55 development or two provinces with ~42 and ~35 development respectively? In test runs, i could get Mexico to renaissance by October 1461 and texcoco to it by October 1460. However, if I dev up Mexico to over 50 then I have trouble reconverting it back to Nahautl after the Temple of Cholula event fires. I didn't run out the test to see if I still have trouble reconverting if i dev up both provinces. I do seem to have a bit higher overall revenue if I dev up both provinces but only by about 7 ducats or so iirc.

I'm thinking it might be best to dev up two provinces since it would probably leave me in a better position to dev for colonialism if needed plus saving a year. The cost of immediately embracing renaissance is like 80 ducats higher if i dev two provinces, but that doesn't really matter since I have over 1500 gold at that point.

So anyone got any thoughts?

There's a million gold provinces in the Mexico region and super-devving a gold province is OP early game, so thats probably what you want to do.

Normal?
Oct 9, 2004
I made pizzas on the floor!
I bought the expansion sight unseen based mostly on Paradox's prior reputation and the 3500+ hours put into the game; However, I will be waiting until they iron out these bugs before playing.

That being said, going forward, I'm going to be waiting before purchasing any new content. That comfortable feeling I had with Paradox is gone now. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting Blizzard-Activision/Bioware vibes from this (steady decline in quality). Seems like when a game company goes public, it's a steady decline afterwards.

E: Reread and I think this came off a little too much doom and gloom. I still enjoy the game and anticipate enjoying for years to come!

Normal? fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 1, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Normal? posted:

I bought the expansion sight unseen based mostly on Paradox's prior reputation and the 3500+ hours put into the game; However, I will be waiting until they iron out these bugs before playing.

That being said, going forward, I'm going to be waiting before purchasing any new content. That comfortable feeling I had with Paradox is gone now. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting Blizzard-Activision/Bioware vibes from this (steady decline in quality). Seems like when a game company goes public, it's a steady decline afterwards.

E: Reread and I think this came off a little too much doom and gloom. I still enjoy the game and anticipate enjoying for years to come!
It’s funny that I’d be frothing at the mouth at paradox’s business practices if they were any other company like EA or Activision. I think I only give them leeway because they still have that small studio vibe and that the $:playtime ratio I have in their super niche genre means I’m getting my money’s worth anyway.

I think my point of permanent caution was back when I bought Stellaris on release and felt completely robbed of my $40. Then some of the HOI4 expansions were making the game less enjoyable for me (MTG’s navy rework, LR’s espionage). I dunno where I was going with this post, but :same: and I hope they stop with the poopoo releases.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Normal? posted:

I don't see a steady decline tbh, just a bad release. The latest ck2 and ck3 stuff is some of their best yet, imperator started kinda flaky but got better, same with stellaris.

Subscriptions aren't necessarily awful but I have to admit the in-game ads for them sure are.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
When exactly had EA or Blizzard released anything as broken? Even ME Andromeda from BioWare gets a bad rep but it's fine, if average. Those companies had shady monetization practicies. They also switched from making genre defining larger than life games to just fine ok games.

Seems Paradox still has some of that small indie company goodwill if people compare it favourably to big old familiar predatory companies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

When exactly had EA or Blizzard released anything as broken? Even ME Andromeda from BioWare gets a bad rep but it's fine, if average. Those companies had shady monetization practicies. They also switched from making genre defining larger than life games to just fine ok games.

Seems Paradox still has some of that small indie company goodwill if people compare it favourably to big old familiar predatory companies.

Some WoW patches certainly approached Leviathan in brokenness, not to mention the total unwillingness to get enough server capacity to not cause long queues on big servers each time a new expansion is released. But in general, you're right that EA and Blizz usually don't have such buggy releases, and Paradox has a deserved reputation for exactly that, unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Andromeda has been patched. On release it was a travesty, though. Maybe not Leviathan-levels, but still a real mess.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

The Warcraft 3 remaster release was pretty bad, though that was because of intentional design decisions rather than the release being unfinished

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Andromeda has been patched. On release it was a travesty, though. Maybe not Leviathan-levels, but still a real mess.

I don't remember that. And I was one of the people who bought the game on day 1, based on the demo that I quite liked. Not to say that Andromeda was a good game, it's deeply flawed. But apart from the facial animations, I don't remember anything getting emergency hotfixes. And even if the facial animations were really terrible, they were not game breaking or savegame erasing bugs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cool av posted:

I don't see a steady decline tbh, just a bad release. The latest ck2 and ck3 stuff is some of their best yet, imperator started kinda flaky but got better, same with stellaris.

Subscriptions aren't necessarily awful but I have to admit the in-game ads for them sure are.

Yeah; Stellaris was pretty mediocre at launch but right now is a great game. It might have the only espionage system in the 4X genre that isn't completely dogshit? Not a high bar I guess

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah; Stellaris was pretty mediocre at launch but right now is a great game. It might have the only espionage system in the 4X genre that isn't completely dogshit? Not a high bar I guess

When the bar is literally "didn't make the game worse even if you don't engage with the system", yes, the bar isn't very high. Actually interacting with the system makes it feel more like a kludged together mod than anything else.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Meh, got the dreaded savefile-corrupting bug. Which it turns out even can corrupt fresh copies of savefiles from entirely different games, just from looking at them in the load game interface. After restarting the game and copying the saves from a different folder.

I guess you can't savescum if the game destroys all your savefiles... Not dealing with this poo poo, rolling back to 1.30.6 until whenever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Groke posted:

Meh, got the dreaded savefile-corrupting bug. Which it turns out even can corrupt fresh copies of savefiles from entirely different games, just from looking at them in the load game interface. After restarting the game and copying the saves from a different folder.

I guess you can't savescum if the game destroys all your savefiles... Not dealing with this poo poo, rolling back to 1.30.6 until whenever.

Well, that level of busted-ness is kinda impressive.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Torrannor posted:

Well, that level of busted-ness is kinda impressive.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they even managed to get it to do that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is anyone else getting random crashes? It’s done it twice for me now but has never happened before the update.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Is anyone else getting random crashes? It’s done it twice for me now but has never happened before the update.
It is a very common issue many people have now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

When the bar is literally "didn't make the game worse even if you don't engage with the system", yes, the bar isn't very high. Actually interacting with the system makes it feel more like a kludged together mod than anything else.

stellaris's mods are often better than the official features so this isn't a very damning indictment

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Nah they just called it a week early then went to the beach or something.

Please don’t be toxic.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is the game still broken if you haven’t bought the dlc? as in never ending disasters / unplayable saves?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

is the game still broken if you haven’t bought the dlc? as in never ending disasters / unplayable saves?

yes but not if you also revert to the pre-dlc version

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BBJoey posted:

Please don’t be toxic.

:dafuq:

Jel Shaker posted:

Last I heard, the diplomacy screen just straight up didn't work without the DLC. That may have been fixed in the most recent patch, but I'd be surprised if all the remaining problems are DLC-only (especially the save corruption one).

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm still playing 1.19, no issues here :v:

Also, that moment as Russia when, after spending a hundred years conquering southwards, you liberate Tsargrad from the Turks, spend a couple years converting it back to Orthodox, and then hand it off to your new vassal Byzantium... and tomorrow is Orthodox Easter. :)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BBJoey posted:

Please don’t be toxic.
Har har har I see what you did there. However I was replying to a joke post with a joke post (we all know that no one from the new studio will get fired for this), rather than quoting a Johan and taking a shot at him.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Relevant:
https://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-interactive-says-player-toxicity-is-driving-developers-away-from-its-forums/

quote:

"Often we do face a debate culture that is not enjoyable to take part in, where it is taken as a given that the devs are either lazy or incompetent and where everything we do is viewed through that lens," content designer Archangel85 wrote. "Not only is it incredibly demoralizing to spend months of your life creating something, only to see the people you made it for tear it to shreds, it is also a debate that gives no one anything."

Archangel85 was making a practical point, not just referencing the emotional drain of constant online beefing. "We aren’t paid to wade through pages of abuse to find a few nuggets of useful feedback, and so that feedback is not acted on," they clarified.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
then ignore un-constructive criticism and do more QA testing? like i dont read the paradox forums but surely the devs are capable of skimming posts and scrolling past the balkan nationalists and nazis

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think there was a group of people that were paid to do that, but paradox fired em all

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/1160331-qa-director

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I agree that personally accosting developers and being angry at them is always a lovely thing to do. But

quote:

Not only is it incredibly demoralizing to spend months of your life creating something, only to see the people you made it for tear it to shreds, it is also a debate that gives no one anything.

As someone who is also in a position where this happens, this kind of talk always makes me weary. There are of course healthy and unhealthy ways of being critical (and the paradox forums strike me as particularly unhealthy), but to complain publicly about the very notion of negative receptions gets a :chloe: from me.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

It's hardly surprising, Archangel makes those same posts on this very forum.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you spend months of your life creating something and it turns out to be Leviathan, then it's pretty drat fair to tear it to shreds.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

yikes! posted:

I think there was a group of people that were paid to do that, but paradox fired em all

Weird that the people whose job was to make sure things are working were actually important.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paradox let go some of their QA for the third-party games they publish. Paradox Game Studios retained their internal QA, though.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
CK3 was so great at release that I thought this kind of stuff was in the rear-view mirror for Paradox :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love Leviathan and all the tremendous content it has given us.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I hope that this disaster and all this terrible PR shocks paradox into taking the same amount of care with all of their future releases that they did with CK3. It blows my mind that the same publisher put out both CK3 and Leviathan in a single 12 month period. Just like the Cyberpunk 2077 mess, I just don't get how whoever was in charge of the decision making looked at what they had ready to go and said to themselves "yes this right here I am proud of this".

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The most ridiculous part was the game was at least playable until their hotfix. You can choose whether or not to interact with / abuse the unbalanced stuff but there's no way to get around your saves getting bricked

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I see journalists still have warm feelings about PDX corporate attitude still, with articles about player toxicity instead of the lowest point in quality for the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ilitarist posted:

I see journalists still have warm feelings about PDX corporate attitude still, with articles about player toxicity instead of the lowest point in quality for the company.

well it's certainly not the players who are paying them

e: I've been browsing the paradox forums a bit since the patch and most people seem fairly reasonable. There's a toxic minority but like, it's the internet, of course there is. Case in point, this thread which blames paradox management rushing the expansion out rather than the devs who were just doing their jobs and must have known it was nowhere near ready for release. As of time of writing it has 65 "likes", 50 "agrees" and 3 "loves".

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 2, 2021