Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Imagine if in the next episode, it ends with Andreas and Grimes fighting over the music box, only for it to open and transport THEM to the human world alone. Suddenly trapped in an alien world full of creatures who dwarf Grimes and are probably about the same height as Andreas on average, and having to work together to figure out what to do, while Anne, Marcy and Sasha are stuck trying to keep Newtopia and the toads collapsing without their leadership. That would be one hell of a season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Imagine if in the next episode, it ends with Andreas and Grimes fighting over the music box, only for it to open and transport THEM to the human world alone. Suddenly trapped in an alien world full of creatures who dwarf Grimes and are probably about the same height as Andreas on average, and having to work together to figure out what to do, while Anne, Marcy and Sasha are stuck trying to keep Newtopia and the toads collapsing without their leadership. That would be one hell of a season 3.

Eh, I feel that bringing in the human world in any real capacity would be a pretty big distraction, and take away from the show's biggest strength (Its setting). Plus, I'd be very surprised if anyone successfully used the music box in this episode, given how we know it's not fully charged. From where I'm standing, it's far more likely that the box is destroyed, damaged, or lost in the episode, probably with Anne making a conscious choice to help the Plantars rather than hold onto the chance of going home.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I was mostly goofing. I enjoy thinking through alternate scenarios and things, it's fun.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I was mostly goofing. I enjoy thinking through alternate scenarios and things, it's fun.

That's fair! As it stands Season 3 could still go in a lot of different directions, particularly given how little we know about King Andrias, his master, and the prophecy they're deliberately trying to unravel.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hell, what if EVERYBODY loses? Whatever Andreas is working with makes it's move, causing the box to be lost and heavy damage to Newtopia, and it is so devastating everyone has to work together just to escape the fallout and reduce casualties. Then start of season 3, everyone's forced to work together to survive whatever this new threat is, but their trust in one another has been irreversibly damaged now that everyone's true goals are out in the open, but it no longer matters because there is no way for any of them to actually get what they were after anymore. Andreas and Grimes forced to be uneasy allies, having to pool their resources; and the three girls together, but insanely tense and having to completely rebuild their relationships from scratch.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
How many episodes are left in this season of Amphibia? Super excited to catch up but I want to wait until the whole second half of the season is out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Peanut Butter posted:

How many episodes are left in this season of Amphibia? Super excited to catch up but I want to wait until the whole second half of the season is out.

Next episode is the season finale.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Peanut Butter posted:

You should catch up now, so you can join in with the rampant speculation :v:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm curious if some of the moments with Grimes and the village/Plantars were genuine, or if all of it was affected. The cake after all wasn't a deliberate attack, more a cultural misunderstanding. I also like that Toad culture isn't ALL brutish, it runs the gamut between fighty and barbaric and thoughtful and gentle, so the toad bard that used to work with Grimes before him and his friend left feels less out of place.

I feel like, if nothing else, His three hour harp performance at the battle of the bands was entirely genuine. That sort of artistry can only come from the very bottom of your heart :swoon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like, if nothing else, His three hour harp performance at the battle of the bands was entirely genuine. That sort of artistry can only come from the very bottom of your heart :swoon:

The other thing I'm thinking of is him trying to share his dessert with the Plantars, it was a culture clash, but he just wanted to bring something he liked to the table to share with a bunch of strangers, maybe a backhanded "Well if the food sucks at least we'll have my cake to look forward to..." but his outburst when everyone's enjoying chowing down on the hornets in the aftermath felt very real. Hopadiah: "This is the best thing I've ever eaten!" Grimes (excitedly): "RIGHT?!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Preview out for finale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsi5LqfuXdY

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I watched the pilot for Amphibia way back when and wasn't really impressed but I've seen so much talk here recently, I gotta ask, is there a particular point where things pick up (either plot-wise or joke-wise) that I should ride it out until or is it a case of "Well if you didn't like that then it's probably just not for you"?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

TwoPair posted:

So I watched the pilot for Amphibia way back when and wasn't really impressed but I've seen so much talk here recently, I gotta ask, is there a particular point where things pick up (either plot-wise or joke-wise) that I should ride it out until or is it a case of "Well if you didn't like that then it's probably just not for you"?

Hm, I'd say keep watching for a little bit, at least until mid-season 1 (so episode 10). If you're not enjoying it by that point, it's probably not for you.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

IIRC the first major plot episode is 10, Toad Tax / Prison Break, which has the first Sasha episode.

In general the majority of the first season are lesson episodes, where a character makes a mistake and has to learn a lesson to fix it. A lot of the time it's pretty self-aware of this, the joke is often how obviously the thing is going to backfire. That means there is a lot of character development over the season but if you're not into that style of show it might be best to just skim the first season and go back to watch episodes if you get hooked. If you're skimming if I think you can get away with just watching Plantar’s Last Stand, Toad Tax / Prison Break, Hop - Popular, Bizarre Bazaar, Combat Camp, Anne of The Year and then Reunion.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Nephthys posted:

IIRC the first major plot episode is 10, Toad Tax / Prison Break, which has the first Sasha episode.

In general the majority of the first season are lesson episodes, where a character makes a mistake and has to learn a lesson to fix it. A lot of the time it's pretty self-aware of this, the joke is often how obviously the thing is going to backfire. That means there is a lot of character development over the season but if you're not into that style of show it might be best to just skim the first season and go back to watch episodes if you get hooked. If you're skimming if I think you can get away with just watching Plantar’s Last Stand, Toad Tax / Prison Break, Hop - Popular, Bizarre Bazaar, Combat Camp, Anne of The Year and then Reunion.

I think I would add Family Shrub and Trip to the Archives to the list of episodes that are plot important. I'd also suggest including Snow Day and Anne and Wally, which aren't plot important, but kind of mark turning points for Anne as a character.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The Mitchells vs The Machines is out and it's legit fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Amphibia finale got pushed back :negative:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ducks are gone and all I want are my frogs and owls goddammit.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1388635270048796675

Sure. I'll give it a shot

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Master Shake is all I hear.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Master Shake is all I hear.

The curse (or gift?) of Dana Snyder is hearing Shake no matter what he's in.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Huh, that voice sounded oddly familiar. But I didn't quite hear that it was Ashly Burch. Sure, I'll give that show a chance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I kinda got vibes of the dog from Teacher's Pet, but that was Nathan Lane.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The curse (or gift?) of Dana Snyder is hearing Shake no matter what he's in.

There’s some gross nazi that sounds just like him who gets posted in the nazi watch threads and I hate hearing that wonderful voice say horrible things.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s some gross nazi that sounds just like him who gets posted in the nazi watch threads and I hate hearing that wonderful voice say horrible things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz0RaZSMsA

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

This is just The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy but made more wholesome and Disneyfied.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:aaa: Holy poo poo that is amazingly close

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A missed opportunity from an older show that I've been thinking about - it could have been interesting to have one of the Dragon Ball series' have a plot where Vegeta is faced with the survivors of a few of the planets he destroyed, like a few escape pods who somehow got missed and came together for survival. Like they get stronger through some method, and maybe by coincidence show up on Earth because they often stop off at populated planets for resources or whatever, only to find Chill Family Man Vegeta. The mistakes of his past coming to bite him could have been fun. Unless they did something like that in one of the movies, IDK.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
True Colors dropped on iTunes. However, this is a mistake and the showrunner is begging people to not watch it there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is it unfinished, bad quality, or are they planning an event of some kind around it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it unfinished, bad quality, or are they planning an event of some kind around it?

I don't know.

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388777744079540224?s=20

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BioEnchanted posted:

A missed opportunity from an older show that I've been thinking about - it could have been interesting to have one of the Dragon Ball series' have a plot where Vegeta is faced with the survivors of a few of the planets he destroyed, like a few escape pods who somehow got missed and came together for survival. Like they get stronger through some method, and maybe by coincidence show up on Earth because they often stop off at populated planets for resources or whatever, only to find Chill Family Man Vegeta. The mistakes of his past coming to bite him could have been fun. Unless they did something like that in one of the movies, IDK.

The current arc of the Dragonball Super manga is somewhat close to being this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The World: OK, here's this successful show, just don't make an arse of yourself, all you need to do is release it!

Disney: [Destroys half of the room, screaming like an imbecile, and releases the show in such a way as to make farce of the work done.]

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Far as we can tell, there's literally nothing wrong with it. Disney just decided to do a Disney and pulled it a day before it was meant to air. It also didn't show up anywhere on Disney's May slate, suggesting that it's not airing anytime soon. That's insane enough, but then it turns out nobody at Disney thought to pull it from iTunes and elsewhere so now it's "out", legit, but also in a sort of limbo.

If I had to speculate, something in the episode content-wise must've caused somebody at Disney to get cold feet at literally the last possible moment and now they're trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Judging by how the crew and Matt Braly has reacted, we might genuinely be looking at Disney demanding a finished episode be altered because they're not okay with the content after all.

e: For clarity, this is entirely unfounded speculation based on how no reason for the sudden last-minute delay has been given. I haven't seen the episode yet so I'm literally just guessing.

e2: Adding fuel to the fire, Matt Braly's deleted tweet apparently blamed Disney for everything and specifically said the episode was delayed for "insane reasons" so uhh. Something's really gone wrong here.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 2, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So it's possible all the tweets about not watching it aren't the creators real wishes, but something Disney is making them say to prevent as many people as possible seeing the real leaked version of the episode? On another note, I've just started watching Dragonball Super, subbed because I can't find it otherwise and don't want to buy a crunchyroll subscription at the moment. I like that Bulma and Trunks aren't upset at Vegeta leaving in episode 2, they're just glad he stuck around as long as he did. :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 2, 2021

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Sounds a bit tinfoil hat-ish, but at this point who knows. It's a little strange they're all saying that and calling it a "leak" when it's an officially sanctioned iTunes release you can buy and watch right now, but if I had to guess it's got more to do with wanting to prevent the spread of spoilers than anything else.

Ultimately it might just turn out Disney decided to accidentally do a scheduling conflict and instead of doing something smart with that, just tossed Amphibia aside to be aired at some unknown date in the future. Which would also be what I'd describe an idiotic move.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hopefully the delay won't be too long. That was one of the main things I was looking forward to this year. That, Psychonauts 2 and Owl House season 2. Now everything I like is on a frustrating floating release date of "sometime in the next 7 months"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The only rational explanation is that Disney and CN are in a never-ending war to see who can make the most baffling and self-defeating scheduling decisions

Covok
May 27, 2013

Okay, yeah I just saw it. I won't spoil poo poo but I know exactly why they delayed it and what they're probably thinking of changing, if the theory is right. And if they do change that part, that will be horribly disappointing, even if it was always a fakeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

The World: OK, here's this successful show, just don't make an arse of yourself, all you need to do is release it!

Disney: [Destroys half of the room, screaming like an imbecile, and releases the show in such a way as to make farce of the work done.]

If I remember the Steven Universe thread, like 70% of new episodes were leaked before air near the end there. Seems like networks just can not stick the landing on releasing things on a normal rear end schedule.