Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, I just finished rereading Fellowship (while in fugue state from the rona vaccine, they were not kidding about the arm soreness I feel like I got thrown down the stairs) and I was paging back to the maps all the time. Even though I've pretty well memorized Middle-earth by now. Even before they leave the Shire there's tons of travelogue that is greatly improved by having a map of the Shire to look at.

e: new page have a cool fan Shire map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know its an entirely weird me problem thing but I like not having to worry about concrete locations and distances and mountain ranges and what not because it makes my brain transition from "this is a kickass mythic story" to "the foliage described in this region are nonsense based on the geography presented and further more"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 11, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I misinterpreted the map the first time I read Lord of the Rings, and so every time I see the map later it's like it's rotated wrong and nothing makes sense.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

I know its an entirely weird me problem thing but I like not having to worry about concrete locations and distances and mountain ranges and what not because it makes my brain transition from "this is a kickass mythic story" to "the foliage described in this region are nonsense based on the geography presented and further more"

Tolkien is the ur foliage nerd though, both literally and figuratively. He's patient zero for the comic book guy brain disease (and the fact that I'm calling it that means I'm a terminal case too lol)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also the world was literally created and shaped by gods, if they want a specific kind of tree somewhere they can drat well have it. Blame Yavanna

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No no, Im not mad at Eru Iluvatar. Now if you could just let me and my large spider friend into the Ormal and Illuin National Park that would be great

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

the Blind Guardian album about the Silmarillion.

That's where I discovered Prog.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I mean if a shield can stop a massive vehicle moving at c then why couldn’t it stop the Death Star laser

like shields couldn’t even stop the Millennium Falcon from landing on Starkiller base in TFA idk how it would stop a determined ramming

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

indigi posted:

I mean if a shield can stop a massive vehicle moving at c then why couldn’t it stop the Death Star laser

like shields couldn’t even stop the Millennium Falcon from landing on Starkiller base in TFA idk how it would stop a determined ramming

This is actually why they couldnt just fly the eagles to Mordor. energy shields

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been re-reading the hobbit and for an immortal demi-god Gandalf is a real sassy pants

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

Been re-reading the hobbit and for an immortal demi-god Gandalf is a real sassy pants

as far as i can tell all of the maiar are just huge dickholes

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

GORDON posted:

That's where I discovered Prog.

Is Power Metal, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVg8eP7KPNQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm suddenly reminded of a TV movie of Gulliver's Travels I saw years ago where the ending of the Lilliput part has Gulliver return to the beach where he washed up and met a couple of tramps, and he gives them one of his coins (a fortune to them), but one of them is more excited to finally find the partner to the boot he found washed up on the beach along with Gulliver. Something of a theme that the Lilliputians are prone to being small-minded and petty compared to humans, but that also makes them both more attentive to detail and able to appreciate the little things in life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

as far as i can tell all of the maiar are just huge dickholes

The song of creation is just an endless diss track and the Ungoliant got roasted

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've heard it called both.

Songs about elves and dwarves and hobbits and bards. That smells strongly of prog. And renfairs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GORDON posted:

I've heard it called both.

Songs about elves and dwarves and hobbits and bards. That smells strongly of prog. And renfairs.

Its a trick question, both are hopelessly lame, even for the sci-fi forum on the SomethingAwful forums. I think the headbanging disqualifies it from being prog though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On this forum we do not diss the musical career of Leonard Nemoy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
bravest little hobbit of 'em all

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Songs about LOTR? Look no further than mother loving Led Zepplin. Also has an amazing bass line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGBQerkvWs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Woah, I can't believe no one posted this yet.

I got to lead my own detail of like 10 recruits in boot camp and I did this as the cadence as we were walking to the chow hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I may or may not have set that track as a custom ringtone for whenever my mom calls me. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Next time some dumb motherfucker talks poo poo about my boy Tom Bombadil I need to remind them of the excruciating Beorn chapter of the Hobbit. Its a motherfuckin clip show episode, in a book!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

Next time some dumb motherfucker talks poo poo about my boy Tom Bombadil I need to remind them of the excruciating Beorn chapter of the Hobbit. Its a motherfuckin clip show episode, in a book!

now you've just got me thinking about jonathan frakes as beorn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww

He gleams like a star
and the sound of his horn's
like a raging storm.
Proudly the high lord challenges Doom
"Lord of slaves!" he cries

Slowly in fear
the Dark Lord appears
Welcome to my land
YOU SHALL BE DAMNED

LOOOOORD OF ALL NOLDOR

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dwarf eyesight is cannonically really poor, they can barely see a boat capable of ferrying several dwarves from a distance of 12 yards or in non middle earth made up units 11 meters

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Barudak posted:

Dwarf eyesight is cannonically really poor, they can barely see a boat capable of ferrying several dwarves from a distance of 12 yards or in non middle earth made up units 11 meters

Dwarves will become the major powers in the world when they get eyeglasses.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a dude in an LotR meme group claimed that Theoden's decision to spare Wormtongue was a thematic departure from the original text and was Peter Jackson's "postmodernist" commentary on the Bush administration. I owned him so thoroughly that he left the group and blocked me

I have nobody in my life who might even understand that last sentence, let alone care about it (which admittedly only I do), but I had to tell someone

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

indigi posted:

a dude in an LotR meme group claimed that Theoden's decision to spare Wormtongue was a thematic departure from the original text and was Peter Jackson's "postmodernist" commentary on the Bush administration. I owned him so thoroughly that he left the group and blocked me

I have nobody in my life who might even understand that last sentence, let alone care about it (which admittedly only I do), but I had to tell someone

That was a dumb man

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

thank you for your service

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

*Bilbo Baggins voice* 10.9728 metres

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*Bilbo Baggins voice* 10.9728 metres

<adds rounding to "list of things bilbo baggins hates>

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

indigi posted:

a dude in an LotR meme group claimed that Theoden's decision to spare Wormtongue was a thematic departure from the original text and was Peter Jackson's "postmodernist" commentary on the Bush administration.

:crossarms:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

indigi posted:

personally i believe that the merger of eomer and erkenbrand is peter jackson's postmodernist commentary on the bush administration

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I read that yesterday but only just realized that the movies largely predate the Bush admin. Yet that is only a small part of what is wrong with that dude's post, somehow

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
iirc most of the preliminary filming was 98-99 which is odd to think about. In terms of the zeitgeist they definitely feel like 9/11 era movies.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

iirc most of the preliminary filming was 98-99 which is odd to think about. In terms of the zeitgeist they definitely feel like 9/11 era movies.

it's interesting how much of that stuff was already in the zeitgeist

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, Dwarves, a deer can cross a river in a single jump that you have difficulty seeing across. Invent some glasses

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Barudak posted:

Holy poo poo, Dwarves, a deer can cross a river in a single jump that you have difficulty seeing across. Invent some glasses

It’s dark and the river is magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean that’s largely because they set the standard for what 9/11 era movies would try to be