Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That dunk is the sickest i seen since that one cat from the Magic? jumped like 6 feet in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Okay y'all, the nuggets did it, they won the 3 seed so they :siren: don't have to play the lakers first round :siren: because the lakers are the 5 seed!! did anything else happen in the other games today i've been busy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/cclark3000/status/1388712164358250496?s=19

I think two of those misses were put back in on a second try. Lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lamelo helped Miles Bridges emerge as the powerful small ball 4 that this very forum's draft experts claimed he would one day be. Thank you Lamelo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kibner posted:

https://twitter.com/cclark3000/status/1388712164358250496?s=19

I think two of those misses were put back in on a second try. Lol

i liked the analogy the announcer used of Zion causing other players to foul out like bowling pins

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope we get LA vs LA in round 1.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope we get LA vs Suns at some point so we can get the next installment of Paul storming the tunnels

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Athanatos posted:

The thunder did not deserve that

:clint: Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the Lakers should pull the plug on this season and hope they don't win the lottery so they keep their pick, fire Jason Kidd and get a real offensive coordinator and get LeBron some rest to make one last run next season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lamelo helped Miles Bridges emerge as the powerful small ball 4 that this very forum's draft experts claimed he would one day be. Thank you Lamelo

The Hornets are the most entertaining team in basketball this season.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Rick posted:

I think the Lakers should pull the plug on this season and hope they don't win the lottery so they keep their pick, fire Jason Kidd and get a real offensive coordinator and get LeBron some rest to make one last run next season.

I think their chances of winning next year are gonna be lower, even with all the injuries and weirdness. Next year, the Nets will have a year under their belt and the ability to add some more role players. I think they'll be the odds on favorites.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

jackofarcades posted:

I think their chances of winning next year are gonna be lower, even with all the injuries and weirdness. Next year, the Nets will have a year under their belt and the ability to add some more role players. I think they'll be the odds on favorites.

The Nets are the odds on favorites anyway, or at least they should be. The Lakers are currently a team with no offensive identity and even if they toss Drummond and go back to playing great defense, great defense against teams that are also good at defense in addition to being great at offense (like the Suns/Clippers/Jazz and the no Murray Nuggets) isn't exactly a recipe for success.

I guess it doesn't matter much anyway. There isn't much difference between the 16th pick and the 11th pick anyway.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Booyah- posted:

i liked the analogy the announcer used of Zion causing other players to foul out like bowling pins

Hash, yeah. He continued to fouling out three front court players last night.

I think players still don't believe how quickly he gets to his spots with the ball or just aren't quick enough to beat him to the spot and end up fouling him with body bumps because they can't establish legal guarding position before contact is made.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

Definitely helped with his confidence but Miles actually made his biggest strides when LaMelo was out. Finally committing to the PJ Washington / Bridges frontcourt probably helped the most.

The more reliable shooting is nice, but his handle is finally there and his passing has been surprisingly good too. Didn’t see it coming, honestly, I would have pegged him for a mid season trade

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Woo 3 seed!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
MPJ's numbers have been insane since Murray went down. He is averaging 27 points on 60% shooting, 50% from 3. He's the second option even when Murray gets back.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Did the NBA ever acknowledge why it's chill for the Thunder to sit Horford while giving poo poo to other teams for resting healthy players? Or did they stop complaining about load management enitrely?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

a new study bible! posted:

Did the NBA ever acknowledge why it's chill for the Thunder to sit Horford while giving poo poo to other teams for resting healthy players? Or did they stop complaining about load management enitrely?

Lol.

Remember that tanking is now okay?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah the reason the thunder have 1 nationally broadcasted game this year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

doug bucket hit 6 3s and went off for 31, i am very sorry but the oklahoma city thundermen should be relegated.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
philly fans treating al horford like he was the worst player in the league last year and then acting like he'd single handily carry the thunder to respectability this year is very funny

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Michael "The Hebrew Hammer" Brown coming in with a very passionate anti-Steph Curry rant at the start of the newest Dream Take pod. And hell, I love it. Even the parts that are wrong

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The NBA literally fined the Spurs for resting players 3 weeks ago.

I'll resist the urge to be an rear end in a top hat, but pretending like that question has anything to do with Philly is goofy. It's a legit question. I'm asking if the league ever differentiated between the situations.

But yeah I guess Al Horford is no better than Charlie Brown Jr. or whatever. That's a sincere position one can hold.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

philly fans treating al horford like he was the worst player in the league last year and then acting like he'd single handily carry the thunder to respectability this year is very funny

You're better than this.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okc has no nationally televised games, okc isn't allowing fans in the arena this year, and okc hasn't flaunted to the world that they are tanking so why would the nba care when the decisions okc is making isn't effecting cashflow?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The NBA literally fined the Spurs for resting players 3 weeks ago.

I'll resist the urge to be an rear end in a top hat, but pretending like that question has anything to do with Philly is goofy. It's a legit question. I'm asking if the league ever differentiated between the situations.

But yeah I guess Al Horford is no better than Charlie Brown Jr. or whatever. That's a sincere position one can hold.

Spurs had multiple healthy players listed as DNP-Rest for an away game, the league policy is to not rest multiple healthy players and to do so during home games. Thunder have said "We have come to an agreement to no longer play a player who is not in the best long-term interest of the team". I'm not defending the leagues rest policy (I think its half-baked), but it differentiation seems pretty obvious. The league wanted the Spurs to rest players on the first night of the B2B (which was at home).

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Metapod posted:

Okc has no nationally televised games, okc isn't allowing fans in the arena this year, and okc hasn't flaunted to the world that they are tanking so why would the nba care when the decisions okc is making isn't effecting cashflow?

San Antonio vs Phoenix and Orlando vs Toronto weren't nationally televised games. Also, I'd disagree with you regarding the silence of OKC's tank, as everyone knows about the trades and draft capital at this point.

I don't care that OKC is in the tank, and teams should be allowed to do it if they want, I'm just curious to what motivated the NBA to fine two teams who are also out of contention for actually resting their players. Asking for logic or consistency from any sports league is too much, for sure, but what was it about April 16th and 17th that made the NBA care so much about something they've mostly otherwise ignored?

It's like someone won a "Commissioner for a Day" contest.

Lockback posted:

Spurs had multiple healthy players listed as DNP-Rest for an away game, the league policy is to not rest multiple healthy players and to do so during home games. Thunder have said "We have come to an agreement to no longer play a player who is not in the best long-term interest of the team". I'm not defending the leagues rest policy, but it differentiation seems pretty obvious. The league wanted the Spurs to rest players on the first night of the B2B (which was at home).

Then what's the logic behind the Raptors?

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Then what's the logic behind the Raptors?

They rested basically their 3 best players (Siakim, OG, Lowry), which is the "multiple player part". and no B2B or anything. Again, I'm not saying its a good policy but it's pretty obviously different than the Horford thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The NBA's rules about resting players only counts for away games.

edit should have finished reading.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the rest rule is stupid but not playing a guy for like half the season also seems very different than resting them for one specific game without an injury. It's targeted at trying to cut down on DNP-rest and load management and that's not what is happening with Horford

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/status/1388669300035178500?s=19

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

MPJ's numbers have been insane since Murray went down. He is averaging 27 points on 60% shooting, 50% from 3. He's the second option even when Murray gets back.

He's awesome, and yeah he's just a better night to night second option, though Murray will obviously skyrocket to #1 in big chunks of games.

I just finished watching the replay. If you only watched the second half of that game you'd think Rondo and Boogie were the two most important players on the Clippers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He looks like an extra in a 90s kid show trying to guard the main star who is clearly side dribbling away from the hoop

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why doesn’t every team just lie and put “DNP - tummy ache” on the injury report or whatever

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

indigi posted:

why doesn’t every team just lie and put “DNP - tummy ache” on the injury report or whatever

It's hard to be as good as Joel.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

indigi posted:

This is basically what the NBA is asking teams to do.

Also note, 25k fines to teams is absolute peanuts. This is performative and overall it's just "Hey guys, please try to take this seriously". I get why you don't want teams to have an owner who says "rest away games when we don't care about the those fans", that's a tragedy of the commons situation, but I feel like you can work with the NBAPA and figure out a rest budget or something pretty easily.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

indigi posted:

Imagining Kevin Durant checking out in the first quarter to take a poo poo and fire off a few tweets.

At least that's what i do when i have a tummy ache at work.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Tangentially related is Kevin Porter, Jr. being fined $50k for going to a club and Sterling Brown not being fined for going to the same club. Obviously there is a bit more to the story and I’m not so heartless to throw insult onto injury but they clearly had a meeting and decided that if you get assaulted and injured then you don’t get fined for violating COVID protocols

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For once I will defend the Philly Poster, it’s definitely ridiculous that what OKC is doing is allowed. Based on previous precedent of what kind of tanking isn’t allowed, choosing to deactivate your team’s second-best player and have the league allow it is genuinely shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What saved OKC from getting hit is probably that they were out in the open about it, saying "yeah, we've got a bunch of rookies we want to give a lot of minutes, so we've come to an agreement with this 34 year old guy that he's not going to be playing in games anymore."