Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've got a couple hundred hours at and this point I only play when theres something new to fiddle with and then get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Southpaugh posted:

I've got a couple hundred hours at and this point I only play when theres something new to fiddle with and then get bored.

Same I usually jump back in whenever new dlc drops and then play one of the campaigns till I get bored. After which I'll put the game down again till the next new batch of content. I hope the overall experience with 3 feels different and polished enough over 2 that it keeps me engaged for awhile.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I'm at 2k hours and still having fun trying stuff out. I haven't played all of the lords yet and there's a bunch of goofy gimmicks

tbf I've never played a total war before this

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any weird tricks to get Malekith to confederate while playing as Morathi? I'm #1 and he's #2 for strength rating and he refuses all attempts to confederate and the last thing I need to win the campaign is to build the unique building in Ghrond.

Can't even get a minor DE faction or Malus to confederate and they're a lot weaker then me, both only have 5 regions.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you can usually pay an inordinate amount of gold to force a confederation but a faction that strong is unlikely to randomly accept one. I generally declare war on the next biggest factions and order them to die gloriously taking the enemy capitol. This usually weakens the faction enough that they'll accept a confed

specifically for Dark Elves you can wait for Chaos to show up and not help defend. They should rough up Malekith pretty bad for a few turns at least

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I dunno, I'm at 2k hours and still having fun trying stuff out. I haven't played all of the lords yet and there's a bunch of goofy gimmicks

tbf I've never played a total war before this

Yeah fair enough, my teenage years were spent with medieval 2, napoleon and later shogun 2. Cumulatively who knows how long I spent at them. 1000s of hours easily.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mustang posted:

Any weird tricks to get Malekith to confederate while playing as Morathi? I'm #1 and he's #2 for strength rating and he refuses all attempts to confederate and the last thing I need to win the campaign is to build the unique building in Ghrond.

Can't even get a minor DE faction or Malus to confederate and they're a lot weaker then me, both only have 5 regions.

Wait for Chaos to invade and gently caress him up. You probably still won't be able to get him to confederate if he has lots of territory and armies outside Naggarond, but you should be able to resettle Ghrond and environs. They have always been razed in my campaigns.

Then it's just a matter of putting every Master you have into Ghrond to turbocharge it's growth.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 1, 2021

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I started a campaign with Louen and it was really good for the first few turns, I forgot how crazy strong his starting army is. Managed to cap Marienburg while taking less than 50 casualties.

But then every Norscan faction dec'd me and I'm going to have to spend infinite turns taking frost attrition.. what do? there's so much fog of war that ships and armies just appear out of the mist and it's impossible to run them all down. Maybe just bite the bullet and send Louen off for 50 turns to burn everything down while trying to build up a second/third/fourth lord that holds things down at home?

My economy can't really support any additional units of peasant or knight variety. Also now Rakarth is lurking and I can't hold his lands either as they are uninhabitable and not worth the effort at the moment. The Bret garrisons are decent enough and I can probably manually hold the homefront for a while if I don't auto battle anything.

I am realizing as I post that Bret's don't have upkeep for lords(???) and I should have a full squad of lords following Louen around. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong or maybe it was a Lucky's (rip) thing.

Cleaning this all up before VC eat half the world is going to be a race, haven't even begun to tackle that yet.

In summary, gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I keep a strong stack in Couronne close to the Marienberg border so it can quickly respond to Norscan invaders, while Louen is off smashing vampires.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Brets do not have supply lines penalties, so yes, a swarm of lords following him around and earning the "Savior" trait is definitely optimal. Also, they all earn bonus Chivalry as well. I think reinforcing/reinforced lords each earn something like 50% of the total chivalry or something? I don't know the exact numbers, but a swarm of lords really powers your chivalry growth.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just beware skaven

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Skaven ain't poo poo. It seems like weapon teams and ranged gunners against pinned down enemies only work when said enemies aren't fast enough to immediately slip the ambush and ride down the gunners.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah, weapon teams are pretty ineffective in the hands of the AI full stop, but even optimally deployed if you field more cavalry than they can deal with they'll just get rode down and chopped to gently caress.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was thinking more about ambush attack vs a one-lord-stack swarm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh. Well, even then, you might as well use your mounted lord to waste some of their ranged.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was thinking more about ambush attack vs a one-lord-stack swarm

Yeah, especially pre-immortality a single Skaven stack can be a pain in the rear end if they get lucky with rolls.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Lord piles are very defensive if you just make sure to cluster them tightly and end turns in ambush stance. Or even better, put three lords in ambush stance and one behind them in march stance to draw people in.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
just be friends will all the polite rodent folk you meet

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A beastmen horde (and brayherd) out of nowhere attacked Altdorf, fully garrisoned by an army with a high level bright wizard, and I lost 80 troops. My only casualties were from their Cygor chucking rocks, the rest just got absolutely wrecked without a single kill among any of them. I thought their archers would get a handful of kills but it seems they were too busy dying and trying to shoot my bright wizard out of the sky to do anything useful.

My bright wizard ended the fight with 1k kills.

Beastmen are an absolute joke. I bet I could’ve won that fight with a walled, ungarrisoned settlement.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair, the burning head is insane.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Randallteal posted:

Lord piles are very defensive if you just make sure to cluster them tightly and end turns in ambush stance. Or even better, put three lords in ambush stance and one behind them in march stance to draw people in.

Ambushing is not chivalrous.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randallteal posted:

That is a monstrous hit to chivalry for limited gain. It's easier for Bretonnia to just not get involved with fighting rats (except maybe as Vortex Repanse) until later on when they can quickly purge Skavenblight if they need to.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Counterpoint:

Kill the rats.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Counterpoint:

Kill the rats.

ha ha ha real funny ha ha, you're a real cool fellow. you should post in cspam, ha. then link it here. ha ha. just do it. do it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No time for posting. Too busy killing rats.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Mortal empires playing gor rok, its me and cult of sotek + the tree lizards vs about a 60+ settlement strong coalition of naggarond, cult of pleasure and hag graef(?). The donut is purple. Theres no helves left on the end turn thing, loremasters decided to be suicidal and war decc on me and sotek, ruining our triple alliance. Brettonia is purple or skyre ruins. I have no idea what the empire is doing but theres vampiric corruption in altdorf it looks like. No idea about dwarves, but mors also has like 20 settlements, eshin is still around and kroq gar died at like turn 20.

Im barely hanging on by using extremely high ambush % in lustria, but i cant leave or else a stack and a black ark show up to wreck everything. Only gor rok is out and about, trying to get some helves to rebel in lothern but its only ever chaos warriors.

My goal is to just level up nakai, mazda and my sick skink lord and slann until theyre capable of soloing stuff themselves, try to find the rest of the order factions so i can get myself out of the red with some trade deals and stay afloat sacking the donut and hopefully spawning some helf rebels to help me out.

This game rules.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Also im at war with tretch too, they have no military but keep sending plague priests lol

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No time for posting. Too busy killing rats.

Always be killing Nazi Rats.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
I found some people training for Warhammer 3.
https://youtu.be/riLSFr7WRJg

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 3, 2021

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Eararaldor posted:

I found some people training for Warhammer 3.
https://youtu.be/riLSFr7WRJg

Wow, I love everything about this.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
A Sisters of Twilight waywatcher doomstack has the most ridiculous autoresolve odds I've ever seen. Regularly has at least 80/20 odds against 3-4 stacks of high tier dark elf units.

Almost wish the chances were a bit lower so I would at least sometimes feel like I had to fight a battle. Even glade guards with starfire shafts could tear up elite armies but the autoresolve odds weren't nearly so high.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

So a leak

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Interesting

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wanna roll some Hot Boys down a hill

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Barricades and deployables were a good addition to Three Kingdoms, although this looks like they might be building it mid-fight and not pre-battle which is interesting

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

The Chad Jihad posted:

Barricades and deployables were a good addition to Three Kingdoms, although this looks like they might be building it mid-fight and not pre-battle which is interesting

Pretty sure it's before the battle, there is a deployment zone visible around the army.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

New ui bit for Winds of Magic looks cool.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think that might be a control point; also one of the unit cards says it's in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think that might be a control point; also one of the unit cards says it's in motion

Ah right, didn't cross my mind it might be that! The timer is going as well. It is definitely a quest or event battle thing at least, unless demons always attack in waves.