Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

yeah i remember rogue's arc from the 90s cartoon was stressful as hell and her powers made her an outcast

"what are your powers?"
"i can't touch people or else i kill them."
"sounds cool!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDCDamonClark/status/1388112228973490177

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
those are some dire twitter tags

indigi posted:

I liked Grant Morrison’s take that actually a lot of mutants are born with bullshit or detrimental powers. that’s fallen by the wayside but it would solve this

well that’s neat but they also created an incredibly overpowered mutant that’s clearly their teen punksona

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-04-30/apple-tv-mosquito-coast-justin-theroux-paul-review

the conclusion stuck out to me

quote:

It’s not that we can’t have tragic figures at the center of a story. Macbeth was not on the right track; Raskolnikov was no Kermit the Frog. But television needs to keep you coming back, and it has a tendency to want to make its worst people sympathetic, if only by pitting them against worse people. And viewers — to judge, say, by the affection for a character like Tony Soprano, whom creator David Chase took pains to point out was not a good person — tend to help them. Allie is a pain, the proximate cause of every pickle his family must be got out of, but he does get them out, and continues to get his way. And his s’mores.

this is in the context of saying mosquito coast is a bad show because its lead character is fairly unambiguously a destructive rear end in a top hat ive never seen any critic actually spell it out like this so im kind of shocked to see someone actually admit that the entire basis of the modern antihero thats constantly misrepresented to just be a straight hero is that theyre always given slightly worse antagonists to play off of from what this guy is saying mosquito coast is bad because it was too successful in making the lead character look like an rear end in a top hat by not trying to weasel out of this via the but have you seen the other guys approach

whether its a commercial necessity for prestige type storytelling to engage in this kind of ethical hedging is a pretty ambiguous question but this is exactly the kind of poo poo you shouldnt be engaging in if youre trying to seriously assess a work from a critical perspective

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Season 5 of the wire is basically sorkin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Things Heard and Seen" with Amanda Seyfried was a good movie. I feel like the ending has a slight twinge of unsatisfying that I can't quite put my finger on, but the twist is very good. Would recommend.

It's also nice that Rhea Seehorn from Better Call Saul is getting more work.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

well in the end the x-men are ubermenschen who are born with powers that make them more powerful than regular humans, it was doomed to eventually get fashy from the word go because of that alone

Between Batman V Superman and Baron Zemo cape movies keep edging towards this idea of "superheroes are a uniquely dangerous threat to humanity and must be destroyed before they simply become our new rulers" but then swerves and tells us that that's wrong because we need the Good Superheroes to fight the Bad Superheroes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

galagazombie posted:

Lol the new issue of the Darth Vader comic just revealed that Snoke is Luuke, complete with being grown from Luke's severed hand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Saiyans today only know how to change hair colour, eat everything and die

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Between Batman V Superman and Baron Zemo cape movies keep edging towards this idea of "superheroes are a uniquely dangerous threat to humanity and must be destroyed before they simply become our new rulers" but then swerves and tells us that that's wrong because we need the Good Superheroes to fight the Bad Superheroes.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a cape is a good guy with a cape.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/spurtmagoo/status/1388616359865589761

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The real funny part of BvS is that people miss that Batman is Dick Cheney

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Things Heard and Seen" with Amanda Seyfried was a good movie. I feel like the ending has a slight twinge of unsatisfying that I can't quite put my finger on, but the twist is very good. Would recommend.

It's also nice that Rhea Seehorn from Better Call Saul is getting more work.

It's a plot that I don't think has been done well at all since I think Justice Leauge Unlimited. It's almost remarkable how modern Superhero media fails to be better than a 20 year old cartoon.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wild to think theres a whole generation of casual fans who think badass drill sergent black green lanterns the real green lantern and are just bewildered as to why the suits are trying to push very boring generic white green lantern on them instead

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianChristgau/status/1388668105317101570

i warned you about the censorship weebs!!! I told you dog!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

well that’s neat but they also created an incredibly overpowered mutant that’s clearly their teen punksona

he wasn’t overpowered when he was created. also he was purposely killed off near the end of the run

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still not over how the X-Men went from being allegories for mistreated minorities to outright fascist.

plenty of oppressed minority groups are assumed to have magical powers in real life, which has led to criticisms of stuff like True Blood or X-Men as validating those beliefs. Think of cops justifying shootings because a Black teen could have been superhumanly strong, or white libs thinking "Black Girl Magic" is literally true. I can see Marvel editors picking Hickman's pitch to try to take the brand in a different direction.

I generally like Hickman's plots, and they're more morally ambiguous (without being morbid or cynical) than most superhero comic stuff, so this shift doesn't shock me too much. I haven't kept up with his x-men run. He has been cursed with some trash art at Marvel though in previous series.

I didn't finish his Avengers/Secret Wars series either, which I guess plenty of people hated.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I thought Morrison's intention was to write Quenton as an insufferable dipshit that needed to be knocked down a peg or two.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 18:36 on May 2, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1388876556991225858?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I thought Morrison's intention was to write Quenton as an insufferable dipshit that needed to be knocked down a peg or two.

yeah this is why the cool girls shut him down

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

He is back and dies once a month now. Luckily the all the mutants are immortal gods.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Can't wait for the x-men comic where an x-men assassinates iron man for violating Krakoa airspace when the island grows again and takes over half of california.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

I liked Grant Morrison’s take that actually a lot of mutants are born with bullshit or detrimental powers. that’s fallen by the wayside but it would solve this

That explains his run of doom patrol quite a bit.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jesus that's incredibly fash.

Also lol at Jerusalem Habitat. Is X-Men incredibly pro-Israeli?

no it's about how ethnonationalism turns you into an evil fascist prick

like in the span of a few months mutants went from hunted, oppressed insert minority group here to immortal bourgeoisie with gladiator matches and kids daring each other to commit suicide as social initiation

also they genocided an entire central american nation because the mutant CIA didn't want technological competition

X-Men is good

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

like in the span of a few months mutants went from hunted, oppressed insert minority group here to immortal bourgeoisie with gladiator matches and kids daring each other to commit suicide as social initiation

also they genocided an entire central american nation because the mutant CIA didn't want technological competition

X-Men is good

...Wait, the Mutants have a CIA now?

What's it called? M.A.N.T.L.E?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

hmm...no

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Clip-On Fedora posted:

...Wait, the Mutants have a CIA now?

What's it called? M.A.N.T.L.E?

Mutant Inteligence Service Teams.
MIST. Probably headed by a mutant who actually turns into mist. ...and one who is really good at Myst.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/wyntermitchell/status/1389033858478219269?s=20

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Some Guy TT posted:

i warned you about the censorship weebs!!! I told you dog!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bro Dad posted:

X-Men is good

I might give it a shot. i liked Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. and Secret Warriors back in the day.

Is there a big reading list of the Hickman Marvelverse?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

This is a persistent problem with Morrison. They write insufferable dipshits who need to be knocked down a peg, but are only knocked down a peg by other insufferable dipshits, but, you know, ones who are cool and definitely wouldn't bully you, dear reader

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
that art is so gross looking

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Communist Thoughts posted:

i read it, it was insightful about how poo poo things are (whoa really?) and ended with "but what is to be done?" then i read the guy killed himself lmao

e: i did think "hedonic depression" was a good way of describing a lotta my generation

Yeah I think Mark Fisher should have really stayed off social media. But that book and Ghosts of My Life that talks about hauntology really helped me understand why pop culture will be stuck on repeat until we all burn to death.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is a persistent problem with Morrison. They write insufferable dipshits who need to be knocked down a peg, but are only knocked down a peg by other insufferable dipshits, but, you know, ones who are cool and definitely wouldn't bully you, dear reader

lol who read that and thinks the cuckoos wouldn’t bully them. the speech they give in the pages you posted is about bullying people

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

Frank Quietly is an acquired taste. One that usually doesn't get inkers that does his work justice.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That school sure gets destroyed a lot, insurance must be a nightmare

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

I like Frank Quietly's style, but it is weird

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I might give it a shot. i liked Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. and Secret Warriors back in the day.

Is there a big reading list of the Hickman Marvelverse?

just read House of X/Powers of X collection and then Dawn of X

after that recommended reading orders should be listed on the back of each issue

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

That school sure gets destroyed a lot, insurance must be a nightmare

A lot of the mutants, including Xavier, are really rich.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

An open letter to the executives at Discovery:

Stop trying to make me give a gently caress about Chip and Joanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Has there ever been a demographic survey of just how many actors on TV were originally high school drama club weirdos? I know some actors had even weirder childhoods than that, and some others had pretty normal lives until they stumbled into acting much later than usual. But I usually make the assumption whenever I see an actor on TV, especially if the persona presented is that of an aspirational everyman.

"Yep. He was actually probably a drama club dork."