Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

smackfu posted:

What’s the point of body fat % on scales? It seems to just go up and down with my weight.

Weight gain and/or loss can be fat or muscle (or bone I guess if you're old enough). The sensors on bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate, but an accurate measure of body fat % will vary depending on which type of body tissue is being gained or lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

smackfu posted:

What’s the point of body fat % on scales? It seems to just go up and down with my weight.

It's a gimmick to make the scales seem better than competitors so you buy them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This question is very stupid: you know how four leaf clovers are lucky and for that reason very attractive to people? Why haven't some enterprising gardener or biologist bred a clover that always has four leaves and sold it to millions of garden owners and tourist attractions in Ireland?

(If this is somehow a novel idea and you steal it and make bank, I want to be credited by my dumb forums name)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They have, it was a fad at one point (not in Ireland just in general). You can still buy the seeds online of course.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A four-leaf clover mutation can be indicative of exposure to certain chemicals or low levels of radiation. If you hand me a four leaf clover, I'm obligated to turn you into the CDC.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

E: figured it out

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 2, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

what’s that phrase that has the structure of like “winners know winners”? winners is definitely the wrong word but the structure is correct

e: could be singular as well

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 2, 2021

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Vegetable posted:

what’s that phrase that has the structure of like “winners know winners”? winners is definitely the wrong word but the structure is correct

e: could be singular as well

Real recognize real?

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 2, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Game recognize game?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How am I contradicting myself in my climate thesis? Are these goons trolling me?

quote:

I know my words won't reach you goons, but i'll say 'em anyway:

Even before Covid hit, the global emissions rate of increase (between 2016-2019) slowed down 20% thanks to new policies, the collapse of the coal industry, the rise of renewables and climate lobbying - than otherwise. Think about it. Emissions slowed down. They are reaching the 2C station but they are slowing down. Despite Trump. Despite Russia. Despite China. Despite the oil and coal lobbies. And now that Covid has hit the coal industry has been dealt a blow it will never recover from. Oh there's still the gas industry? Sure. But we're slowing down. And that's the first step to mitigation. The overton window on that front is shifting, slowly but surely.

The second step is peaking emissions, grinding the emissions increase to a halt. There is good news there too. Demand for renewables is skyrocketing. Old fossil fuel factories and power plants are getting phased out or shut down at an increasing rate, across the globe on average. As the cost of renewables plummet, it's cost-efficiency eclipses coal, then eventually gas, and many, many energy corps, companies and lobbies are beginning to pay attention and follow that clean new golden goose. Greed drives them, sure, but the sort of greed that is much less destructive on our global environment than otherwise. An improvement. Back to emission peaks. China is planning to reach it's peak soon. It's rapidly building new, more efficient coal factories, sure. But their electricity output is decreasing. And while it is not yet giving way to being eclipsed by renewable output, it is planned to do so later this decade. Which means China may reach peak emissions before 2030. And then, as the world's largest emitter, begin to decrease emissions entirely.

Yes there is worsening news regarding climate change all the time. It's to be expected. Increases in emissions from earlier decades are what are being felt right now. Those mistakes we've made as a global civilization have already been set in stone. All it does is make our goals harder, not stop them in our tracks. What we have control over, as the overton window shifts, is how we handle, adapt, mitigate, and survive the coming decades as best we can. There is still time for all of this. Despite Trump's efforts the US' emissions have not skyrocketed since he took office, for example. Heck, the expected worse case scenario from carbon emissions has gone down 2 degrees, from 5 C to a far less catastrophic 3 C, thanks to our global decrease in carbon demand and emissions here and there. And slowing down the rise of carbon emissions is our top priority right now.

Despite all the pessimism, there is still, and always will be hope. And through hope and progress, we must, we shall, prevail. Thank you for your time.

GlyphGryph posted:

That's a hilariously dumb quote. It manages to contradict itself in the first three sentences. Impressive!

Anyway, even ignoring climate change, the end is the same no matter what. All we can do is put it off as long possible, but its coming. So whats the point of doing anything?

You do what you can for those you can while its still possible. Doesn't matter when the end is coming, that stays the same.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Following this pattern, in 20 years we will be pouring more carbon into the atmosphere than we are today.

Which is around the time when we need to be having net carbon outputs of 0.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"the rate of increase is decreasing" does not equal "emissions slowed down". That says they're still increasing, just not as fast as they were in the past.

The top line is a decreasing rate of increase, but it's still going up. The second line is emissions slowing down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Memento posted:

"the rate of increase is decreasing" does not equal "emissions slowed down". That says they're still increasing, just not as fast as they were in the past.

The top line is a decreasing rate of increase, but it's still going up. The second line is emissions slowing down.
Got it. I just remembered the addendum: "They are slowing, and will hopefully continue to slow down. To a crawl. And thats when the earth peaks emissions. And as renewables dominate new industry, and carbon capture tech takes off, that peak will begin to decline. And decline. Away from the worst scenarios. Towards a future."

Or basically 'slowing down buys more time for renewables market and clean policies to blossom, and for better tech to develop and start removing/reducing emissions as well.'

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don’t know the context, but I would expect that quote to get some flak for citing the Overton window. It’s often regarded as giving a free pass to politicians and corporations for bad policy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I thought it was a catchprase for 'breakthrough that shifts the norm towards something new', my mistake.

By the by, I am very thankful that Biden's in charge of global climate policy instead of :sniff: now

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I thought it was a catchprase for 'breakthrough that shifts the norm towards something new', my mistake.

By the by, I am very thankful that Biden's in charge of global climate policy instead of :sniff: now

That’s about right, but it’s been used rhetorically to discount needed reforms in favor of less effective but more politically expedient policy. It all depends on the context and who is using it.

Some fairly practical, middle of the road policies have been discounted (and some truly egregious actions under Trump’s presidency were normalized ) using the Overton window, so expect some suspicion when referring to it.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 2, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a question about a slur: when did slurs relating to transgender people enter the popular consciousness as words they shouldn't use? I've been watching Project Runway season 4 (from 2007) and they've used one slur repeatedly and it's like...when did that become known?

It's also frustrating because one of the people using the slur is a drag queen and you would think they'd know better!

e: If this question doesn't fit here, please tell me where else to take it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's very common for groups to take slurs aimed at them and use them and reclaim them. I guess when it comes to drag queens reclaiming slurs used against trans people there's some tension there but in that case it's more a question of "who is part of the in group that gets to reclaim the slur" rather than "don't they know that's a bad word??"

ETA: okay yeah I reread your post and realised I'd misread project runway as rupaul's drag race somehow, that's poo poo if straight cis people are using it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

It's very common for groups to take slurs aimed at them and use them and reclaim them. I guess when it comes to drag queens reclaiming slurs used against trans people there's some tension there but in that case it's more a question of "who is part of the in group that gets to reclaim the slur" rather than "don't they know that's a bad word??"

ETA: okay yeah I reread your post and realised I'd misread project runway as rupaul's drag race somehow, that's poo poo if straight cis people are using it.

I've been told that the word in question is a straight slur, am I misinformed? The slur in question: tranny

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn’t go over great back then either. Here’s a 2008 article: https://gawker.com/394260/christian-siriano-needs-to-cool-it-with-the-trannie

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been told that the word in question is a straight slur, am I misinformed? The slur in question: tranny

I'm actually curious about the same thing. I recently noticed the same sort of overt transgender slurs in some How I Met Your Mother episodes from about the same era playing in the background, pretty sure there was no reclaiming happening there. This was a show that played on broadcast television in its time so it must have been broadly acceptable at some point.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's a slur, yeah. But it's like in the last 20 years or so that trans people have been widely* accepted as not just weird weird pervs basically. There's also transvestites/crossdressers, who actually are "perverts" in the traditional sense of being sexually aroused by dressing up, which is close to, but not exactly the same as drag queens, which is less directly sexual and a lot more about community. Using slurs about "perverts" has always been pretty acceptable, and since you can always claim that the slur actually refers to transvestites and not trans people, if the two are not just conflated.

But yeah, trans issues have made a lot of gain within the last like 20 years. Still a long way to go.

*Yeah, not that widely I know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

making GBS threads on trans people used to be acceptable in the same way that making GBS threads on gay people used to be acceptable.

The USA and our subsequent entertainment industry was built on a base of white christian supremacy and general bigotry for anything outside of that.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Is it common in the UK (or in any other country, I guess) to use "digs" as a direct synonym for rent costs? I've heard "digs" as slang for a home before, but I just read a Reddit post that uses "digs" like fifty times in the context of "I pay cheap digs, about £200pm" and "she raised my digs to £300pm" and "with my digs and car insurance, I don't have much left at the end of the month." Just never heard it in that context and wondered if it would be totally normal elsewhere.

Edit: re: the above, I recently rewatched HIMYM from the beginning and was shocked how many jokes there were about transgenderism that would never fly today. They especially really liked jokes where a man was horrified to find out that his female date was biologically male.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Remember admiral Akbar memes from the early 2000s? Most of them were the same school of "oh no, a penis [was here previously]!".

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Propaniac posted:

Edit: re: the above, I recently rewatched HIMYM from the beginning and was shocked how many jokes there were about transgenderism that would never fly today. They especially really liked jokes where a man was horrified to find out that his female date was biologically male.
Nip/Tuck, which was contemporaneous with HIMYM, had a subplot about Sean's son unknowingly having sex with a transwoman and Sean and Christian agreed he would be so traumatized if he found out that they decided to complete her medical transition.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Propaniac posted:

Is it common in the UK (or in any other country, I guess) to use "digs" as a direct synonym for rent costs? I've heard "digs" as slang for a home before, but I just read a Reddit post that uses "digs" like fifty times in the context of "I pay cheap digs, about £200pm" and "she raised my digs to £300pm" and "with my digs and car insurance, I don't have much left at the end of the month." Just never heard it in that context and wondered if it would be totally normal elsewhere.

Cost? No, that person is being a weirdo or just using a euphemism . Your digs are where you live.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

smackfu posted:

Didn’t go over great back then either. Here’s a 2008 article: https://gawker.com/394260/christian-siriano-needs-to-cool-it-with-the-trannie

I'm having extremely mixed feelings over using the slur in the headline of the article but I appreciate what they're going for.

BonHair posted:

That's a slur, yeah. But it's like in the last 20 years or so that trans people have been widely* accepted as not just weird weird pervs basically. There's also transvestites/crossdressers, who actually are "perverts" in the traditional sense of being sexually aroused by dressing up, which is close to, but not exactly the same as drag queens, which is less directly sexual and a lot more about community. Using slurs about "perverts" has always been pretty acceptable, and since you can always claim that the slur actually refers to transvestites and not trans people, if the two are not just conflated.

But yeah, trans issues have made a lot of gain within the last like 20 years. Still a long way to go.

*Yeah, not that widely I know.

Yeah. Yeah. I'm proud of where we are now and yet, oh god. I recently ran into someone who was all "you can't be bi if you're monogamous" and excuse me, what.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

Got it. I just remembered the addendum: "They are slowing, and will hopefully continue to slow down. To a crawl. And thats when the earth peaks emissions. And as renewables dominate new industry, and carbon capture tech takes off, that peak will begin to decline. And decline. Away from the worst scenarios. Towards a future."

Or basically 'slowing down buys more time for renewables market and clean policies to blossom, and for better tech to develop and start removing/reducing emissions as well.'

The permafrost loop has already started. The methane we're probably going to see in the next couple decades could easily wipe out humanity even if we dropped emissions to zero tomorrow.

You're better off just never thinking about climate change at this point if you can help it. Having Biden in the white house is almost the same thing as Trump as far as impact on climate change goes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm having extremely mixed feelings over using the slur in the headline of the article but I appreciate what they're going for.

Yeah. Yeah. I'm proud of where we are now and yet, oh god. I recently ran into someone who was all "you can't be bi if you're monogamous" and excuse me, what.

I try to compare it to liking blondes and brunettes. People usually accept that you can still be into blondes while being (monogamously, faithfully) married to a brunette. And they can't really point to the real difference between that and being married to a man and still being into women, although some will it course insist it's still there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

A coworker of mine just a few days ago asked if I was in an open relationship. It was funny, we laughed, and I asked why she would think so, and she said, "Well, you're bi, so I figured..."

I'm also not bi, but whatever. She thinks I am. It's complicated.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Bi person monogamously married here. I’m actively not sleeping with 5+ billion people, instead of half of that number, big deal. (Obviously would not be sleeping with any of the minor children regardless of gender.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hello i am also a bisexual who has been in a committed monogamous relationship for the last 17 years of my life

your sexuality does not (have to) depend in any way on who you sleep or do not sleep with. there are literally millions of straight, gay, and bi people who've never had sex with anyone at all!

as other posters allude to, being bisexual while married is literally no different than being married while attracted to more than one (1) human being but its amazing how many people can't seem to wrap their head around that

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 4, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A tree was cut down in the local park, and one of the logs has what looks like little metal studs embedded in the wood. Does anyone know WTF it is, or why?

This is in Ontario if that makes a difference, and I don't know why the tree was removed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive seen trees with little pins like that with little notes attached pointing out which year it was when that tree ring formed, usually in state parks in california where there are huge rear end trees that were born hundreds of years ago. so maybe someone was going to start a project like that and then gave up halfway? or maybe they are just going to get the little notes right now

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Help me out guys, some of my technical knowledge is outdated. I'm moving soon, and I'm letting my brother take the PS4 because I don't game on it much. However, it was how I watched Netflix and streaming services on my TV. What sort of device do I need to be a netflix/hulu/etc box that will plug into my TV(HDMI preferably)? I know Roku/Firestick does something like that, but just from looking at them, it almost seems like it's a thing you use to stream from your PC to TV? I don't want to have to use my PC, I just want something I can hook to my TV that will pick up wifi and play my streaming services on it's own like my PS4 did. I know a lot of cheap dvd players or whatever do that, but the only one I had experience with was really lovely. So what do I need to buy? I'm fine with the firestick or roku thing as long as I can operate it as described.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 5, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Help me out guys, some of my technical knowledge is outdated. I'm moving soon, and I'm letting my brother take the PS4 because I don't game on it much. However, it was how I watched Netflix and streaming services on my TV. What sort of device do I need to be a netflix/hulu/etc box that will plug into my TV(HDMI preferably)? I know Roku/Firestick does something like that, but just from looking at them, it almost seems like it's a thing you use to stream from your PC to TV? I don't want to have to use my PC, I just want something I can hook to my TV that will pick up wifi and play my streaming services on it's own like my PS4 did. I know a lot of cheap dvd players or whatever do that, but the only one I had experience with was really lovely. So what do I need to buy? I'm fine with the firestick or roku thing as long as I can operate it as described.

Firestick works fine, no need to connect to a PC.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Roku or firestick will be fine. You install apps on them, some of those apps are like netflix and you just stream directly from netflix over your internet connection. Other apps are for streaming from your PC or whatever (like from a plex server).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AlbieQuirky posted:

Bi person monogamously married here. I’m actively not sleeping with 5+ billion people, instead of half of that number, big deal. (Obviously would not be sleeping with any of the minor children regardless of gender.)

Earwicker posted:

as other posters allude to, being bisexual while married is literally no different than being married while attracted to more than one (1) human being but its amazing how many people can't seem to wrap their head around that

Yeah, I had never really thought about it before (I was probably 19 and this was mid 90s) I read Barrayar, by Lois McMaster Bujold, but it seemed a reasonable approach:

quote:

“One corner of his mouth crooked up, then the quirk vanished in a thoughtful pursing of his lips. "He's bisexual, you know." He took a delicate sip of his wine.

"Was bisexual," she corrected absently, looking fondly across the room. "Now he's monogamous."

Vordarian choked, sputtering.”

Somewhat undercut by the retcon 20 years later that he had some sort of three-way relationship with his wife and one of his male aides, but c'est la vie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is half-and-half just half cream and half milk? I can't get it here (:australia:) and I want to make White Russians. If I mix, say, 2/3 cream with 18% fat content and 1/3 milk with 4% fat content to achieve the ~13% fat content that half-and-half has, will that have the same consistency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Question the first: Is there any handy program, free to moderately priced (let's say, up to $150), that will take a video file (an MP4 or maybe ProRes or whatever) and spit out MPEG DASH files ready for streaming, at several resolutions and bit rates? I know it can be done manually from the command line with FFmpeg and MP4Box, but that's time consuming and quite frankly mind numbing. If I had a program that could just do it for me, it would be worth its weight in gold. If it can batch process, platinum.

Question the second: I'm a amateur photographer (very amateur). Film photographer that is -- I simply could never get into digital. I typically process the film myself but I've run into a bit of a road block. I'm not keen on prints, I shoot reversal (slide) film. When reversing black and white film, you need a bleach bath between the first and second development stages. I have always, for the last twenty-five years, used concentrated sulfuric acid for the bleaching agent. Back in the day, I just went to the local camera store and bought it by the gallon. That place has been gone a decade or more. I can find nowhere that carries 100% sulfuric acid now, not even after filling out a DEA form. I could use battery acid, it's the same stuff, but it's only about 30% the strength of concentrated acid and it would throw off all my timing -- I'd have to learn again how long to leave the film soaking and that would be troublesome, as it's all really down to rote memory at this point. Does anyone know of a seller?