Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Case in point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watching the show, it definitely made it clear that every single Italian-American is mobbed up without exception, and they're all enthusiastic and devoted to the criminal lifestyle :hai:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The ones that aren't are no good either, look at Melfi's friends. Or Rudi Giuliani, the show's example of The Good Italian.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, they were all in the mob too. Melfi was a capo, which explains why she was so loyle. The show could not be clearer about this.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Flesnolk posted:

The ones that aren't are no good either, look at Melfi's friends. Or Rudi Giuliani, the show's example of The Good Italian.

the Rudy refs at this late date are especially funny. :lmao:

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
And the above-throwaway line status Donald Trump enjoys in the series finale.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I only actually finished the series for the first time in 2020, so the Trump references were definitely "oof" worthy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There was nothing we could do about it. The poo poo in the shower that was stepped on was made and Vito Jr wasn't.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

The moral of The Sopranos is that all Italians are bad.

OHH!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Flesnolk posted:

The moral of The Sopranos is that all Italians are bad.

Good thing this show is only featuring pure blood Sicilians then

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought they were nobalydahbahly?

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

GoutPatrol posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

the Rudy refs at this late date are especially funny. :lmao:

"If they say 'John Gotti,' you say 'Rudy Guiliani.'"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Was it ever confirmed that the dude that Chris murdered who Tony said killed his dad really did it? Seems like it's left p in the air.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BiggerBoat posted:

Was it ever confirmed that the dude that Chris murdered who Tony said killed his dad really did it? Seems like it's left p in the air.

Yes he did it. And deprived Chris a TV tray... to watch TV on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The reason I believe he did it more than anything else is that he yells “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” as he’s crawling away. Years ago in the original thread we couldn’t figure out if it was Haydu or the audio from the television. I actually went and found that episode of Magnum P.I. and watched that scene. Nobody is yelling an apology during it, it was definitely the cop saying it to Chris.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Wait, is the mob in Naples run by Sicilians?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought they were Calabrians

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, is the mob in Naples run by Sicilians?

I got Calabria and Campania mixed up, Campanians

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 2, 2021

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The reason I believe he did it more than anything else is that he yells “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” as he’s crawling away. Years ago in the original thread we couldn’t figure out if it was Haydu or the audio from the television. I actually went and found that episode of Magnum P.I. and watched that scene. Nobody is yelling an apology during it, it was definitely the cop saying it to Chris.

Still, he couldve just been some washout cop the mob wanted gone trying to save his rear end with "I'm sorry (for whatever your grievance is)"

Tony even twists the knife by pretending to forget details when Chris is asking him for info. I figure, like as not, the guy's just another crooked cop being cashed in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

I thought they were Calabrians

I got Calabria and Campania mixed up, Campanians

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I’m not saying Haydu definitely did it, just that the “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” was actually from him and not the television, and it tilts me more in that direction.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh, I’m not saying Haydu definitely did it, just that the “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” was actually from him and not the television, and it tilts me more in that direction.

Oh, I see. So he would have been saying it pretty loud, too. I gotcha.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i'll build a ramp up to your rear end

drive a lionel up in there

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

My interpretation was always that he didn't actually do it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jimmy Altieri did it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always read it with a way more sinister implication, that Tony always knew who killed Chris’ dad, and that it was ok’d by the family, either by Jackie or Tony’s dad.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

ruddiger posted:

I always read it with a way more sinister implication, that Tony always knew who killed Chris’ dad, and that it was ok’d by the family, either by Jackie or Tony’s dad.

or new york but yeah i recall tony saying this outright? it's not like he learned who it was on the night the guy retired from the force

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

JethroMcB posted:

So Edie Falco revealed this week that she and James Gandolfini reprised their roles as Tony and Carmela in 2010...as part of a 10-minute video put together by the New York Knicks to try and lure LeBron James during his first round of free agency. Falco had no idea who LeBron was, but figured that if Gandolfini was willing to do it, it must have really been important to him. (It sounds like they had both received a lot of commercial offers after the series ended to play "Tony" and "Carmela" again, if not explicitly by name then at least by reputation, that had simply gone ignored.)

Reminds me of Vincent Curatola appearing as Johnny Sac in Hillary Clinton's campaign video from 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c1f27Ia_fc

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Yeah I always kind of saw it as irrelevant and that Tony was just using it as a way to manipulate Chris either way. In both cases, the main result was that Tony got what he wanted.

People talk about the Russian and whether or not Tony died at the end a lot but I always thought the unresolved issues of the fire that killed Pie Oh My and whether or not that dude really killed Chris' dad were equally interesting and were better off being left being ambiguous. There's a few other things like that which happened in the show that I thought of earlier but am drawing a blank on right now. What happened to the Russian is about as interesting to me as the adventures of Furio.

Maybe they could do a spin off. Furio & Sergei: Here Comes Harpo!

Two and a Half Made Men

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BiggerBoat posted:

People talk about the Russian and whether

Nah. Eaten by the Jersey Devil.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

for some reason i had a vision of Paulie appearing in True Detective.

I love fuckin' scented meat at my feet! I stick motherfuckin' scented meat in my socks at night, so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Two Assholes Lost in the Woods: An Oral History of ‘Pine Barrens’

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in the midst of another rewatch and am watching the episode where Livia dies and Tony meets Meadow's biracial boyfriend. RIP Tony Soprano, thought of Uncle Ben's rice and died. :lmao:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Imperiolli had a good take on the latest podcast, I thought, where he said he actually re-watched episode "Irregular Around the Margins".

Which was that the flirtation between Ade and Tony was her trying to play/work him and angle her way as an informant to get dirt on him instead of Chris. It comes up in an earlier conversation between her and the FBI where she says "I'm not gonna blow him just to get dirt on him" or something similar where it's clearly implied that if she give him Tony, it will help her. I highly doubt she was attracted to him and given what we're shown about her stubborn loyalty to Christopher (in spite of him hitting her, his drug use and poo poo), I think this angle makes the most sense. Her seeing a way to nail Tony by gaining his trust, softening him up with light flirtation and protecting her fiance.

I mean, it also makes sense that they'd run out of blow and make a coke run to Delaware but I don't read it as her wanting to really party with him and gently caress. The "let's see what he might say" angle adds up for me though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BiggerBoat posted:

Imperiolli had a good take on the latest podcast, I thought, where he said he actually re-watched episode "Irregular Around the Margins".

Which was that the flirtation between Ade and Tony was her trying to play/work him and angle her way as an informant to get dirt on him instead of Chris. It comes up in an earlier conversation between her and the FBI where she says "I'm not gonna blow him just to get dirt on him" or something similar where it's clearly implied that if she give him Tony, it will help her. I highly doubt she was attracted to him and given what we're shown about her stubborn loyalty to Christopher (in spite of him hitting her, his drug use and poo poo), I think this angle makes the most sense. Her seeing a way to nail Tony by gaining his trust, softening him up with light flirtation and protecting her fiance.

I mean, it also makes sense that they'd run out of blow and make a coke run to Delaware but I don't read it as her wanting to really party with him and gently caress. The "let's see what he might say" angle adds up for me though.

That makes sense. Ade was always way more loyal to Christopher than he deserved.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beautiful girl: I must be loyle to my capo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

This was a good read. Thank you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I notice they bring up the Jersey Devil :allears:

Also Schrippa brings up his mayonnaise theory again, and is again told it is meaningless :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

So Edie Falco revealed this week that she and James Gandolfini reprised their roles as Tony and Carmela in 2010...as part of a 10-minute video put together by the New York Knicks to try and lure LeBron James during his first round of free agency. Falco had no idea who LeBron was, but figured that if Gandolfini was willing to do it, it must have really been important to him. (It sounds like they had both received a lot of commercial offers after the series ended to play "Tony" and "Carmela" again, if not explicitly by name then at least by reputation, that had simply gone ignored.)

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...AAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

It starts around the 31 min mark.

Apparently James didn't even like doing interviews about the show. The whole thing was them filmed in character in his apartment, dressed like they did in the show, and they had a conversation about helping Lebron find a place to live in NY.

It's a pretty great bit, Gandolfini got super into the role, coming up with the idea to make it set that Tony is in witness protection, and got super involved in the production like it was a serious deal, wanted to end it a certain way etc.

The cast list for the whole video included

Robert Deniro
Harvey Weinstein
Donald Trump
Bloomberg
Rudy Giuliani
Reggie Jackson
Alec Baldwin

Apparently Trump was a huge piece of poo poo to everyone involved and made the entire shoot lighting set up so you couldn't see through his hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

pentyne posted:

Apparently Trump was a huge piece of poo poo to everyone involved and made the entire shoot lighting set up so you couldn't see through his hair.

I think we're lucky Trump was never in the show, it seems like a thing him and them would be up for.

Which characters would vote for Trump? Basically all of them?