Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Being unintentionally hilarious is kind of a major theme of the Resident Evil universe. Personally I consider that a big part of its appeal.

I'm not sure how much of it was unintentionally funny beyond RE1. RE4 certainly knew it was loving ridiculous but just kept building on top of it until you were outrunning a giant mechanical baddie statue, and I'd say there's a lot of RE2-3 which isn't meant to be taken too seriously either. The original version of RE1 was intended to feature a comedy remix of the main game but that got cut out early in development, at least according to the new Itchy Tasty book that came out recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd love RE1 with the modern camera and control scheme

Exactly this. Going through the mansion with a modern camera, control scheme, and advanced lighting? poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Convex posted:

I'm not sure how much of it was unintentionally funny beyond RE1. RE4 certainly knew it was loving ridiculous but just kept building on top of it until you were outrunning a giant mechanical baddie statue, and I'd say there's a lot of RE2-3 which isn't meant to be taken too seriously either. The original version of RE1 was intended to feature a comedy remix of the main game but that got cut out early in development, at least according to the new Itchy Tasty book that came out recently.

That's true, whether it's intentional or unintentional either way Resident Evil has a lot that's funny and it's great.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Convex posted:

The way I heard it the American localization of RE4 was the only version that was "in on the joke" and the Japanese version was trying to be a more straight forward action game. Can't cite any sources as I sit here though. I should check out that book you mentioned.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

The way I heard it the American localization of RE4 was the only version that was "in on the joke" and the Japanese version was trying to be a more straight forward action game. Can't cite any sources as I sit here though. I should check out that book you mentioned.

I don’t believe that because there’s no way they could not intend Leon running from a giant Salazar statue to be funny

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barudak posted:

Yeah it fuckin rules

would've rather they had more zombies that take like 1-3 headshots because kneecapping a zombie and then standing over him and dumping bullets into his head for the next 15 seconds isn't all that fun or interesting gameplay-wise

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

site posted:

would've rather they had more zombies that take like 1-3 headshots because kneecapping a zombie and then standing over him and dumping bullets into his head for the next 15 seconds isn't all that fun or interesting gameplay-wise

Why are you dumping bullets into their head? If you've kneecapped them, just run past.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
felt like trying something different and seeing how far the provided ammo gets you on this run

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I have to say, I'm playing on easy right now (because the difficulty selection kind of makes easy sound like it's normal mode? It's weird, just say what you mean, Capcom) and the game does drown you in ammo and health more so than any other RE I can think of. Its not a fault as such and might be mitigated on harder difficulties, but you probably could safely kill most zombies if you wanted, although obviously that would risk crimson heads. There's otherwise no real penalty for being trigger-happy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Toaster Beef posted:

Exactly this. Going through the mansion with a modern camera, control scheme, and advanced lighting? poo poo.

yes it would be poo poo to remake perfection

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Disco Pope posted:

I have to say, I'm playing on easy right now (because the difficulty selection kind of makes easy sound like it's normal mode? It's weird, just say what you mean, Capcom) and the game does drown you in ammo and health more so than any other RE I can think of. Its not a fault as such and might be mitigated on harder difficulties, but you probably could safely kill most zombies if you wanted, although obviously that would risk crimson heads. There's otherwise no real penalty for being trigger-happy.

I did easy on this last run and pretty much killed everything except for some of the plant zomboes near the end. There's a big difference in health and ammo between that and the normal mode from what I recall.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc easy mode just straight doubles the amount of every ammo pickup?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, it's very possible to kill all enemies in RE2, even on hardcore(especially if you know how to use knives on the bosses).

There's a couple of sections where it's effectively impossible- the opening parts(gas station and running to RPD) and Ada's section.

For the spoiled part,

It is still possible, but requires a lot of luck with crits as Ada simply doesn't have much ammo.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 2, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Panzeh posted:

So, it's very possible to kill all enemies in RE2, even on hardcore(especially if you know how to use knives on the bosses).

There's a couple of sections where it's effectively impossible- the opening parts(gas station and running to RPD) and Ada's section.

For the spoiled part,

It is still possible, but requires a lot of luck with crits as Ada simply doesn't have much ammo.

Especially if you jack up the framerate on the PC version lol

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hello, thread. A relatively new fan here, and I have a question about Village. I've been avoiding most info since I want to go in blind, and with VII being my favorite in the series I'm not worried about gameplay. I am, however, worried about side content. Do we know anything about the game having it in general? VII was absolutely incredible in terms of value, but Remakes and the constant desire of Capcom to add multiplayer modes worry me quite a bit. Doesn't help that the game costs the same across all platforms, which is a fuckton here in Russia.
That said, the demo was amazing! Loved the RE4 callbacks. I'm not the biggest RE4 fan, mainly due to some dated things, but the economy and collectathon aspect loving rule and I'm glad they brought them back. Hoping this game's going to be as funny as 4 or VII. The latter in particular was absolutely hilarious and I loved it!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres going to be a Mercenaries mode like other games, except theres going to be some sort of progression system (exp, loot, rewards or something similar)

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Just played the demos for 8 and if I wasnt put off by the marketting, I’m put off by the gameplay. Looks like most of the game will be trying to nail that ‘resi 7 dinner table’ vibe and be super slow and gross. Its a shame but really where were they gonna go after 7

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Re: which game to start with, the HD version of the Resident Evil 1 remake has an option for free movement. It trivialises a handful of encounters because you can easily run circles around enemies, but it might help people get into the franchise who might otherwise be turned off by the double whammy of tank controls and fixed camera angles. Plus, you can unlock Resident Evil 5 Chris as a bonus costume! 💪💪

Resident Evil 2R is still a great place to start, though! Just make sure not to shoot Mr. X's hat off if you know what's good for you.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I pre-ordered the game but I'm on call this weekend :negative:

I just know my phone will ring when something cool is happening.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5837/

quote:

This simple project aims to restore content from the various releases of the game, such as the Beta, Trial, or original Japanese versions, including:

The original uncut FMVs from the Japanese version, alongside the full-color opening scene from the French and German Director’s Cut release.
The Mansion’s Bathroom from the 01/31/1996 Beta version, which allows you to grab an extra Clip after unplugging the Water in Jill’s scenario.
The Mansion’s 2nd Floor Right Stairs wall message in blood, from the Japanese Trial Edition of the game.
The Mansion’s 2nd Floor Main Hall unknown music track, in the scene when Jill meets Barry again (”it’s reeaally powerful”), sourced from the 01/31/1996 Beta version (only on Easy and Original modes).
And more to come.

The addition of more content to this mod is in the works, mainly the restoration of the backgrounds from the memos that were present in the Japanese releases.

This patch is aimed at the Greatest Hits DualShock Ver. (SLUS-00747) release of the game. You should patch Track 1 and Track 1 only, using xdelta (provided). Please check that your copy matches the Redump Database values listed in the ROM / ISO Information section. You have two patches to select from: one with the original BGM and one with the OST from the DualShock ver. (apply only one).

Presumably doesn't take away the magnificent basement revisited theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYvCHm3Ov4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah get those smokes Chris.

Convex posted:

I hope it does.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Convex posted:

It's a shame this is legitimately one of the worst songs ever because some of the other mansion revisited music was great.

Love these two songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVkEMUmSG8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uyi54AbjQA

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My Resident Evil hot take is that I actually don't really like a lot of the music in the Dual Shock version or the Director's Cut or whatever version it was that changed the music. Or more accurately I don't like it when combined with Resident Evil 1. Very little of it evoked anything approaching dread, horror, suspense, or fright. Even the save room music way too discordant and harsh to be as momentarily calming as the original.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This sounds like a child getting in trouble for something

https://youtu.be/bkouzA2L-HA

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

man nurse posted:

God I forgot about that one. This is just as bad as the basement song and the only reason it doesn't get mentioned more is because it only lasts for 20 seconds as you run around the main hall.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

man nurse posted:

The opening feels very point and click adventure for some reason.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

site posted:

iirc easy mode just straight doubles the amount of every ammo pickup?

bunch of herbs too that arent normally there. i've only ever picked the top question but picked middle the randomizer and i notice a lot more pickups of ammo and herbs in places they normally are not.

wonder what the hell the buttom question does :eyepop:

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
RE1 original is the only mainline entry I haven't played, I skipped it because the common sentiment is that the remake wholly supplants it (whereas the remake of 2 and 3 are more complementary).

Hearing all of this weird fuckin music makes me think I need to try it out anyway

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DourCricket posted:

RE1 original is the only mainline entry I haven't played, I skipped it because the common sentiment is that the remake wholly supplants it (whereas the remake of 2 and 3 are more complementary).

Hearing all of this weird fuckin music makes me think I need to try it out anyway
It needs to be emphasized that this is the Director’s Cut soundtrack, which is very different from the original. Just so you know what to look for.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

honestly gonna buy the usa version of DCDS on the psn just for the soundtrack, just to have it and experience it. unless some uk goons can tell me if the uk DC disc got a platinum release with the new music? like how the plat for re2 had the extreme battle/dualshock stuff added to it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why not just find the tracks on youtube or whatever

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

honestly gonna buy the usa version of DCDS on the psn just for the soundtrack, just to have it and experience it. unless some uk goons can tell me if the uk DC disc got a platinum release with the new music? like how the plat for re2 had the extreme battle/dualshock stuff added to it?

The Dual Shock version with the new soundtrack never got a PAL release; the version on EU PSN is the original Director's Cut which doesn't support analogue controls but also runs 17% slower in a bordered window. Get the US PSN version for the full experience

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

site posted:

why not just find the tracks on youtube or whatever

wouldnt be playing resident evil then.

Convex posted:

The Dual Shock version with the new soundtrack never got a PAL release; the version on EU PSN is the original Director's Cut which doesn't support analogue controls but also runs 17% slower in a bordered window. Get the US PSN version for the full experience

ahh thats what i thought, thanks. off to playasia i go

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay I haven’t played RE5 in years and I’m just kind of astonished how much better looking it is compared to RE6. Like RE6 is a grimy rear end looking game, but it’s not like RE5 was all pristine looking either in terms of its settings.

It’s even more apparent with that green filter removed.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 3, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just started 7 for the first time. Got to the garage last night and while it's a very different game then 2Remake (my first time playing this fall and I loved it). I do love the vibe of these games. Probably going to pick up 8 if I finish this before release date.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody else remember Funcoland having a display where you can play RE1, and part of the display had a Hunter with a Santa hat?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Convex posted:

I thought it was the US version of Directors Cut we got in the EU or was that just 2&3 for some reason?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it was the US version of Directors Cut we got in the EU or was that just 2&3 for some reason?

Just 2-3

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So is it just me or does the tension on the dualsense's triggers change depending on what gun you're using? I played the castle demo again and really took my time with it, and it seemed like the shotgun had a heavier trigger pull than the pistol. It may have even changed with the hair trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shlapintogan posted:

So is it just me or does the tension on the dualsense's triggers change depending on what gun you're using? I played the castle demo again and really took my time with it, and it seemed like the shotgun had a heavier trigger pull than the pistol. It may have even changed with the hair trigger.

Probably. It's not uncommon for haptic trigger stuff to do that. It can be a bit annoying sometimes.