Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/charliearchy/status/1388552359333216256?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

I mean if you're starting to get your face tingling and you hear a high pitched noise and then you get an intense headache go see a loving neurologist because that sounds like a brain tumor not Commie space laz0rs

what do you think caused the brain tumor smart guy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how does he go straight from specifically describing one thing to specifically describing a completely different thing while still pretending like theyre the same thing usually a person at least pauses to take a breath before moving the goalpost

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The other dumb thing about the whole "invisible lasers" thing is that it's not even remotely clear what the supposed point of it would be. It's not like it's killing these people; it's just making them feel bad.

Like Russia/China's nefarious plan, that they're willing to risk directly attacking US government personnel on US soil for, is to make a few random government bureaucrats feel sick.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

The other dumb thing about the whole "invisible lasers" thing is that it's not even remotely clear what the supposed point of it would be. It's not like it's killing these people; it's just making them feel bad.

Like Russia/China's nefarious plan, that they're willing to risk directly attacking US government personnel on US soil for, is to make a few random government bureaucrats feel sick.

this is why i guess if it is real it has to be either surveillance equipment or count-surveillance equipment. lots of good reasons to be shooting fancy beams and lots of rationals that side effects would be either acceptable or at least plausibly deniable.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

fast cars loose anus posted:

what do you think caused the brain tumor smart guy

Vaccines duh

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrollZoo/status/1389211829084332033

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

this is from 2018 but lol

https://pitchfork.com/news/moby-says-cia-agents-asked-him-to-spread-the-word-about-trump-and-russia/

Talking with WFPK's Kyle Meredith, Moby cited “active and former CIA agents” who were “truly concerned” about Trump’s collusion with Russia. “They were like, ‘This is the Manchurian Candidate, like [Putin] has a Russian agent as the President of the United States,’” he said. “So they passed on some information to me and they said, like, ‘Look, you have more of a social media following than any of us do, can you please post some of these things just in a way that … sort of put it out there.’”

Am I crazy or is this basically just out and out saying that it's a CIA op where they approached credulous lib celebs like Moby and fed them Russiagate narratives??? Lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it’s just Moby wanting to be in the spotlight again for something other than being a creep to Natalie Portman

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

thalweg posted:

Am I crazy or is this basically just out and out saying that it's a CIA op where they approached credulous lib celebs like Moby and fed them Russiagate narratives??? Lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeGZ-xL6FNU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i posted like over a dozen different youtubes of random liberals reading the mueller report for like over an hour when this nonsense was happening

maybe some of them were literal ops trying to get it viral lmao

but on the other hand liberals are deranged enough to do this all on their own so :shrug:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/VanessaFrangvi1/status/1389561871901106182

xi sits at his desk doing some paperwork as a breathless party cadre busts in wildly waving a report

sir the belgians are about to discuss our continuing acts of genocide!!!

xi takes off his glasses and narrows his eyes instilling fear in the cadre as he intones his orders

shut down loving everything

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

thalweg posted:

that's how I read it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mschwirtz/status/1390639112265379849?s=20
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1387348923715670018?s=20
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1387390850653691911?s=20

UNIT 29155

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Kinda reminded of that movie Wag The Dog where they make up an elite special forces branch and even have a Ballad of the Green Berets-style song for them

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The wikipedia article is only like a year and a half old.

I guess the nytimes was what lead to it https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/world/europe/unit-29155-russia-gru.html

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 01:45 on May 8, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Russian response is that it's a training center that has been operating since 1962 and that's why so many veterans of various conflicts can be linked to it. Instead of it being some shell organization for some super secret army spies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how does unit 29155 existing boost the likelihood that russian bounties happened does their existence just inherently validate any claim of russian perfidy regardless of whether or not theres any evidence that the crime even happened at all

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
it also sucks as a boogie man name

“hmm these latest operations stink of, uh, hold, lemme check my browser history. Ah there we go. Unit 29155!”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
MR WORLDWIDE!

UNIT 29155!

DALE!

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Dr. Killjoy posted:

“hmm these latest operations stink of, uh, hold, lemme check my browser history. Ah there we go. Unit 8008135”

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
unit 29155 nanometers

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that is the most deeply curated W I've ever seen

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1391847997433122824?s=20

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better
https://twitter.com/jkerridgeDNP/status/1391862721130504201

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
unit 29155 sounds like a character introduced late in a long running manga

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao they're really forcing the magic headache gun narrative

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Watch this make government officials so paranoid that they start having psychosomatic symptoms which then also get blamed on Russia.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
this smacks of cops getting antifa-induced tummy aches because they get drunk and eat fast food all day sitting in their car

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1392490379446870022?s=20

quote:

As the party of Reagan, Republicans have championed democracy, won the cold war and defeated the Soviet communists. Today, America is on the cusp of another cold war. This time with communist China. Attacks against our democratic process and the rule of law empower our adversaries and feed communist propaganda that American democracy is a failure.

We must speak the truth. Our election was not stolen and America has not failed.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol the whole US media has embraced this story
https://twitter.com/ewong/status/1392616065813917696?s=20

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

They tried this exact thing a few years ago and it didn't stick

Why are people buying this poo poo now

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

russia has nothing better to do than use their super secret mindray weapons in a high profile way over multiple years to troll us embassy staff and mildly inconvenience them

i can respect that

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
it’s our fault for going lax in the Psi-War department, all our psychic spies found the private sector to be far more lucrative in being able to make money off their remote viewing techniques and cancer curing electromagnetic therapy devices

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

smdh @ the feds rn. it was obviously the dark psychic force, not the russians!!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
THE RUSSIANS HAVE BUILT THE GOLDENEYE SATELLITE WEAPONRY!

LIKE IN THAT FAMOUS MOVIE-- SPACEBALLS

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

someone tell Brown Moses I found the head of Unit 42069

He's been using his psy weapons to terrorize US diplomats

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

All our diplomats are brain damaged!?

RUSSIA!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

this is embarrassing even for a poo poo rag like the NYT

the failing new york times saying some dumb poo poo posted:

WASHINGTON — Mysterious episodes that caused brain injuries in spies, diplomats, soldiers and other U.S. personnel overseas starting five years ago now number more than 130 people, far more than previously known, according to current and former officials.

The number of cases within the C.I.A., the State Department, the Defense Department and elsewhere spurred broad concern in the Biden administration. The initial publicly confirmed cases were concentrated in China and Cuba and numbered about 60, not including a group of injured C.I.A. officers whose total is not public.

The new total adds cases from Europe and elsewhere in Asia and reflects efforts by the administration to more thoroughly review other incidents amid concern over a spate of them in recent months.

Since December, at least three C.I.A. officers have reported serious health effects from episodes overseas. One occurred within the past two weeks, and all have required the officers to undergo outpatient treatment at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center or other facilities.

And in one case in 2019 that has not previously been reported, a military officer serving overseas pulled his vehicle into an intersection, then was overcome by nausea and headaches, according to four current and former officials briefed on the events. His 2-year-old son, sitting in the back seat, began crying. After the officer pulled away from the intersection, his nausea stopped, and the child stopped crying.

Both received medical attention from the government, though it is not clear whether they suffered long-term debilitating effects. Officials suspect the officer may have been targeted.
The episode upset officials in both the Trump and Biden administrations, prompting them to investigate further.

The Biden administration has not determined who or what is responsible for the episodes or whether they constitute attacks. Though some Pentagon officials believe Russia’s military intelligence agency, the G.R.U., is most likely behind the case of the 2-year-old, and evidence has emerged that points to Russia in other cases, the intelligence agencies have not concluded any cause or whether a foreign power is involved.

“As of now, we have no definitive information about the cause of these incidents, and it is premature and irresponsible to speculate,” said Amanda J. Schoch, the spokeswoman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

blah blah blah

In a report released in December, the National Academy of Sciences said a microwave weapon probably caused the injuries. Some officials believe a microwave or directed-energy device is the most likely cause.

blah blah blah

But at least two episodes involving White House staff members, one in 2020 that affected a National Security Council official near the Ellipse south of the White House and another in 2019 involving a woman walking her dog in Northern Virginia, have no known connection to an earlier overseas event. While many officials expressed skepticism that Russia or another power would conduct an attack in the United States, agencies are investigating.

Congress has demanded more from the C.I.A. In a closed-door meeting of the Senate Intelligence Committee last month, senators accused the C.I.A. of doing too little to investigate the mysterious episodes and until recently showing skepticism about them, according to people briefed on the meeting. [lmao]

During the Trump administration, some in the agency said there was little intelligence showing a foreign power was responsible and argued that it made little sense analytically for Russia or another foreign intelligence service to make unprovoked attacks on Americans. Others doubted the cause of the brain injuries.

The new C.I.A. director, William J. Burns, has tried to move aggressively to improve the agency’s response, current and former officials said. Mr. Burns has met with victims, visited doctors who have treated injured agency officers and briefed lawmakers.

He has also assigned his deputy, David Cohen, to oversee the investigation and the health care response. Mr. Cohen will meet monthly with victims and will lead regular briefings for Congress. The agency has also doubled the number of medical personnel conducting treatment and managing cases of injured officers.

In addition, the chief medical officer, who had been criticized by some former officers as too skeptical of the incidents and dismissive of some symptoms, announced his retirement. He was replaced with another doctor seen inside the C.I.A. as more focused on patient care.

So no actual evidence or anything. Just "some random people who are not related to each other in anyway got random symptoms. This is clearly the result of Russian energy weapons because some people in the CIA say so."