Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watch, its not even that given Matt's deleted post mentioned that the reason for the pull was "insane".

If they pulled on that, given real world circumstances, that would actually be quite sane imho.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just watch, its not even that given Matt's deleted post mentioned that the reason for the pull was "insane".

If they pulled on that, that would actually be quite sane imho.

I'd categorize them pulling the show at the last minute because of content that must've already been S&P approved multiple times over as insane. Disney has control over the whole production process so anything that's not fit to air ought to be nixed way sooner than a day before the scheduled air date. Time will tell what really happened, I suppose.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember hearing something about it getting moved to August for some "halfway to Halloween" premier event with other shows to hype up some unrelated movie

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Just watched the finale (sorry matt) and holy poo poo I would be unrelentingly pissed if I was him or on the crew because it's rad as hell and ends on such an incredible cliffhanger. It's simply unconscionable that Disney would pull it at the last minute like this.

Like, I know why he wants people not to watch it to prevent the leaks of major spoilers, but if I were you I'd watch the drat thing anyway because it will get spoiled to you at some point if it ends up being delayed for any significant amount of time, there's so much game changing stuff in it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I remember hearing something about it getting moved to August for some "halfway to Halloween" premier event with other shows to hype up some unrelated movie

That would indeed be loving bonkers and so unprofessional it's the kind of thing that makes creators stop working with you.

I watched because there's no way for me to get it normally even when it comes out and yeah, there's a very obvious thing that's probably the cause for the delay but it would still be insane to pull it at the last minute after it was approved for production. Whatever the reason Disney looks like total dicks here.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Going to wait for the final release (assuming it's not Fall or something equally stupid) but if they cut some big chunk of the episode out I'm pirating it on principle :colbert:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nephthys posted:

That would indeed be loving bonkers and so unprofessional it's the kind of thing that makes creators stop working with you.

I watched because there's no way for me to get it normally even when it comes out and yeah, there's a very obvious thing that's probably the cause for the delay but it would still be insane to pull it at the last minute after it was approved for production. Whatever the reason Disney looks like total dicks here.

I think the best case scenario here is that enough many people watch it anyway, Disney realizes it's too late to anything about it and backs down, while a bunch of people at Disney get fired for spectacular incompetence. I mean, that last part is a given considering what a monumental gently caress-up this whole delay ended up being, but I'm just hoping it'll be the only consequence, rather than Matt Braly and crew's incredible work getting mangled after it's already out in the wild.

Watched the episode myself, and I think this is the first time since Gravity Falls season two's midseason finale that I've stared at a cartoon with my mouth agape and my eyes wide open. I really can't believe this was meant to air on Disney Channel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Welp, watched True Colors and :tviv:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't have itunes, so I'll just have to wait until it get uploaded to my usual source. :ninja: :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can someone post with spoilers what "current events" or other factors might have seen the episode delayed?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Can someone post with spoilers what "current events" or other factors might have seen the episode delayed?

Stop Asian Hate.

Its insane but...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wasn't there supposed to be a pre or after show that came out when the finale aired? Maybe (assuming it was an after-show) there was going to be some context for what I'm assuming is the reason for the delay. Like a S3 trailer maybe.

Dammit, there's some stuff from the opening I really really want to talk about.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KassandraHeller/status/1388881300413550593

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1388882772954030083

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1388885135538278407

Yeah, Disney has kind of pissed off their entire creative staff with this move. Other showruners are publicly commenting on the issue now too. Either they go after the showruners, which would be terrible since it would hurt a bunch of great shows, or the head of scheduling is in trouble at Disney channel.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So don't expect Owl House s2 / BCG s-whatever any time soon?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388883212772933635
Well, there you go.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ConanThe3rd posted:

So don't expect Owl House s2 any time soon?

Depends on if the head of Disney Channel Scheduling has a lot of friends up the chain or is a failson of someone powerful in the company.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

From what Matt's posted, this isn't true:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388883212772933635?s=20

Best speculation that I can give is that during the episode, a main character gets fuckin' stabbed, and some clueless executive or series of executives may have gotten cold feet at the last minute.

Ruflux posted:

I think the best case scenario here is that enough many people watch it anyway, Disney realizes it's too late to anything about it and backs down, while a bunch of people at Disney get fired for spectacular incompetence. I mean, that last part is a given considering what a monumental gently caress-up this whole delay ended up being, but I'm just hoping it'll be the only consequence, rather than Matt Braly and crew's incredible work getting mangled after it's already out in the wild.

Watched the episode myself, and I think this is the first time since Gravity Falls season two's midseason finale that I've stared at a cartoon with my mouth agape and my eyes wide open. I really can't believe this was meant to air on Disney Channel.

Fuckin' seriously, the end of the episode is huge. It's utterly tragic that this episode of any in this series is the one to get hosed around like this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You don't think the suits wouldn't throw their (now actively revolting) creative staff under the bus to save one of their own?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Owen Dennis, creator of Infinity Train, now has a thread up:

https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1388890951578361857?s=20

I think this debacle has really struck a chord with the people who work on these kinds of shows. Amphibia and Infinity Train aired on different networks, but Matt Braley, Owen Dennis, Dana Terrace, and countless others all know each other, work together, and openly have supported each other's shows. Watching Amphibia get hosed over first by cowardice (in pulling it the day before it was supposed to air) and then incompetence (Letting it release on the iTunes store, where it's not only still up but is currently the number one episode listed in Top TV) is a huge, obvious slap in the face, and one that all of these creators know could happen to them at any time through no fault of their own.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I realize that BCG is Big City Greens, but I keep reading it as Battlecar Galactica.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On a less frustrating note, I really want to see a Dragonball character hold an energy ball that they are planning on firing for too long because they are waiting for something, and end up dissipating it because "OW OW OW, gently caress THAT'S HOT! I'm not meant to hold that for so long...."

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

You don't think the suits wouldn't throw their (now actively revolting) creative staff under the bus to save one of their own?

They can, but they'll have to go out and get new talent, start over, etc. It will be costly and suits are all about cost efficient. The fact the iTunes release of True Colors is currently the top selling episode of a TV Show on iTunes right now is something to mention. Plus, as Infinity Train guy points out, Matt could always go somewhere else, take his ball and leave, start over, and his fans will come with him. If they try to give Amphibia to someone new, or Owl House, there is no guarantee fans will stick with it. The suits will certainly think it will, though, so I can imagine them still screwing over the creative staff and then diverting blame when the numbers aren't there.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

They're not gonna start mass-firing people for speaking up, come on. It'd be a PR nightmare for one thing and completely ruin the whole channel because now they've got a bunch of shows without showrunners that have halted production. Staff would openly revolt and quit en masse in protest. It's the kind of self-sabotage that would result in the whole DTVA arm collapsing and everyone involved getting booted.

There might be some reprimands for speaking out of term on Twitter but the real people who ought to be worried for their jobs are the ones responsible for creating this situation in the first place. The person making the call to pull the episode less than a day from its intended airdate, the person whose job was to inform Apple that the episode's being pulled, don't put it up yet, hell, even the social media guy is probably in hot water since it was a DTVA Twitter post that first suggested the episode was being delayed due to a scheduling conflict and got people mad at other Disney show for supposedly being the cause.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
pour one out for matt (a really nice guy, I met him once at SDCC) who is having "the worst week of his career"

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388892581208104968?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that's what I mean: the suits might, but it's such a mess that I do think the scheduling guy is in more trouble than anything else. Starting over is expensive and changing production leads when the show is going good is generally avoided at all costs. Pulling an episode right before it airs is very unusual and, if its for content, then said content was already approved multiple times before it hit the scheduling block. Animation -- show production in general -- is a long process and this episode and its script was likely approved multiple times before they scheduled it. Maybe someone up the chain never bothered to watch the finished product and went off the script? Assumed it was going to look different? Still, a big mess-up for whoever pulled it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm not going to seek it out out of respect but man i really want to watch this loving episode

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Owl House: We almost kill a kid.
Amphibia: gently caress you we kill a kid.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm not going to seek it out out of respect but man i really want to watch this loving episode

At this point I say just buy it on iTunes and watch it. There's already assholes posting spoilers on twitter, nobody knows when the episode is actually going to air, so you may as well take the plunge, see the episode, and then watch it again and post about it when it's actually released. The cat is, unfortunately, well and truly out of the bag, and this way you can at least watch it before you inadvertently read/see spoilers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I usually watch this on Disney Now, anyway, so I personally didn't feel morally bad watching it on iTunes. At least I'm paying them money now, instead of getting by with a free service offered by my cable company. Glad I did too because, right after, I saw a spoiler on twitter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm not so much concerned about spoilers as I am the creator making an impassioned plea to not watch it yet, so I will hold out

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ConanThe3rd posted:

Stop Asian Hate.

Its insane but...

Also: the more I think about it, the more likely I think this seems. Some higher-up exec not familiar with the episode saw the episode or caught wind of... certain events within, their mind immediately went to the worst possible audience reaction, ignored all possible context (like the show creator being Thai), and ordered the episode delayed indefinitely. Dumb, cowardly, and insulting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll just avoid twitter for now, as unfortunately it's not on UK ITunes, at least I couldn't find Amphibia anywhere on it, so the only way I have to see it will be when it gets ripped by a fan and uploaded elsewhere. Yeah, juts tried Nordvpn but it didn't change my itunes location, so I can't watch it yet anyway.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 2, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also: the more I think about it, the more likely I think this seems. Some higher-up exec not familiar with the episode saw the episode or caught wind of... certain events within, their mind immediately went to the worst possible audience reaction, ignored all possible context (like the show creator being Thai), and ordered the episode delayed indefinitely. Dumb, cowardly, and insulting.

On reflection I agree. Considering that it's not even as graphic as Infinity Train season 3's ending this reason makes the most sense.

Also allegedly there's a Big City Green's marathon planned for next week, so people are saying it's unlikely the finale will air then. But we just saw how whimsical Disney can be about scheduling so....

nokiddin
Apr 29, 2008
It isn't on itunes anymore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

nokiddin posted:

It isn't on itunes anymore.

Probably part of the reason Matt Braly posted that "I made a joke do it's all cool now" comment.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I also agree. I missed the memo about the episode being postponed so when I saw it online this morning I thought nothing of it. It wasn't until I finished watching that I learned what had gone down. I'm sure when True Colors went in to production that cultural attitudes here in America were much different than they are now so no one read in to it. Unfortunately those attitudes have changed since then and not for the better so someone higher up on the totem pole at Disney hit the abort button at the last minute so they could do the animation equivalent of reshoots for the episode. it's the one explanation that make the most sense to me, even though it is kind of a stupid one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It is funny to look back at my predictions from last week and see what panned out and what didn't. (Spoilers, obviously):

"I think it's pretty likely at this point that Sasha and the toads are going to win." lol nope.

"My gut feeling is that [Marcy]'s going to end up joining King Andrias with whatever plot he's cooking up" True, but whereas I thought this was going to be the third season plot, turned out she was already in on it, and ultimately stuck with her friends rather than the King.

"I don't think anyone's making it home next episode" hilarious in retrospect

Looking forward to the next season, I'm really excited to see where they go with things. Anne and the Plantars desperately trying to find a way back to Amphibia without access to the box, Sasha and the Toads fighting against Andrias, there's a ton of potential for the next season.
It's such a goddamn shame that Disney hosed up the release on this so dramatically :negative:

Macrame_God posted:

I also agree. I missed the memo about the episode being postponed so when I saw it online this morning I thought nothing of it. It wasn't until I finished watching that I learned what had gone down. I'm sure when True Colors went in to production that cultural attitudes here in America were much different than they are now so no one read in to it. Unfortunately those attitudes have changed since then and not for the better so someone higher up on the totem pole at Disney hit the abort button at the last minute so they could do the animation equivalent of reshoots for the episode. it's the one explanation that make the most sense to me, even though it is kind of a stupid one.

I think it's more likely that they decided to simply delay the episode for an indefinite period of time because, well, what are their options? The third season is already well into production, and doing something so dramatic as having Marcy not get stabbed would change a whole bunch of poo poo that's already well set in stone. I suppose they could try and alter the shot to make it less gratuitious/dramatic, but that would also seriously diminish the impact of the scene.

e: jesus how am I so bad at spoiler tags

double edit: OH NO

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388928337083461632?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 2, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is some weird scheduling bullshit.
Maybe it will turn out Bob Chapek just learned about this shows existence and really really hates frogs. So just straight up canceled the show without ever showing this season finale.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

sorry to everyone in this thread going to the pain room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388928337083461632?s=20

I think this leak is really getting to the crew. drat. I already hate Disney for being an evil megacorp that destroys creative freedom and grounds enuthasim into profit and tears, but now I am even more mad at Disney.