Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am going to be honest, katie being gay in Mitchell’s vs the Machines feels extremely weird.
There's a line at the very start of the movie where Katie says something to the effect of, "I never really fit in... for reasons" or something like that. And she clearly has a crush on Jade the entire movie. She straight up tells her mom that the main reason she wants to get to orientation week is for a girl.

But like it's tough being queer even if you live with progressive people or have a progressive family. My family is all some shade of Liberal and Progressive and it can still be awkward sometimes.

You're being way too binary about things, and Bill doesn't hate her. The whole point of the movie is that he had his heartbroken about some of his dreams didn't work out. He's misguided, but he's acting out of love. Also, Bill is coded as kind of hippie.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's a line at the very start of the movie where Katie says something to the effect of, "I never really fit in... for reasons" or something like that. And she clearly has a crush on Jade the entire movie. She straight up tells her mom that the main reason she wants to get to orientation week is for a girl.

But like it's tough being queer even if you live with progressive people or have a progressive family. My family is all some shade of Liberal and Progressive and it can still be awkward sometimes.

I guess it just seems so weird to have "old fashioned dad who fights to their daughter to the point the family doesn't own a single photo of them happy together with the indication that if she leaves she may never return at all" and "the daughter is openly gay" then have those two things seem to not interact at all.

Like old fashioned dad only drove his daughter to hate him so much she never wants to see him again but for totally unrelated reasons. It just seems weird the way they did it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m actually pretty happy and hopeful that that doesn’t seem weird to me at all, anymore.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Data Graham posted:

Is social media fire?

batteries are, electricity is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess it just seems so weird to have "old fashioned dad who fights to their daughter to the point the family doesn't own a single photo of them happy together with the indication that if she leaves she may never return at all" and "the daughter is openly gay" then have those two things seem to not interact at all.

Like old fashioned dad only drove his daughter to hate him so much she never wants to see him again but for totally unrelated reasons. It just seems weird the way they did it.

Why? She’s a creative in ways he doesn’t get and this is the disconnect. He can’t fathom why someone would like her art until later in the film.

Also look at her dang buttons!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Mitchells vs the Machines like, weirdly grainy? I have tried it on every single device I have Netflix on, I have messed with every setting on my TV, PS5, Netflix itself, and it's still weirdly grainy and I have no idea what else to do. The youtube videos of clips do not look like this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes and it’s awesome.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I completely lost it at the mom's transformation into the literal Doom Slayer

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I generally loved the (late movie minion spoilers) black robots, especially their dialog. "We have learned to tell the difference between Dog and Pig and Bread." and "OH NO, THE LAVENDER ONE IS HERE! FALL BACK!" at Linda showing up again was hilarious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Very fun movie. I think some parts in the first half are kind of slow but the entire mall scene is absolutely insane and once they get to the Pal home base they the movie cranks it up to 11 and never really lets up until the movie is over. Just a ton of really fun action sequences and some of the funniest parts of the movie happen there. The mom going into warrior mode against the stronger robots was fantastic.

edit: My one major complaint about the movie is I hated the voice of the brother. And I liked the character himself, but the voice was absolutely awful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My best guffaw might have been "The power of love!!! :haw:" *beat* *robot kicks him square in the balls*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Furbys were the best part

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't realise how fitting Ma Ya Hi was as an anthem for the main characters until I looked up the lyric video. The characters described by the song are The Duke, who made something concrete, and Picasso, who made it special and worth having. And now one of them is leaving, and the other is afraid there will be something missing in their lives as the colours will fade away, but are soothed by the idea that their love will remain, painted on every wall. So while Katie is leaving, her dad will still have her art to remember her by while she's gone courtesy of her youtube channel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was surprised that Dragostea Din Tei wasn't listed in the credits. I guess it was a brief enough sample

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Data Graham posted:

I was surprised that Dragostea Din Tei wasn't listed in the credits. I guess it was a brief enough sample

Same! And I thought taking like 15 seconds from two different Sigur Ros songs and playing them consecutively was kinda weird.

Also the upgraded black robots felt very Spider-Verse-y, in a good way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked how all the action things came together in the finale and generally built up over the course of the movie - at first, Katie tries to use the robot arm but doesn't know how it works so makes a mess, and her and her father end up veering off randomly clinging to two of the robots just trying to figure out how to survive. Then Katie gets experience with the motions via the Fishing rod in the mall, her father and mother figure out surfing on the robots purposefully and by the end the whole family is not just surfing them but expertly manouvering and dancing around all coming threats, whipping robots into each other like it's nothing. It's the same stuff from the dinosaur themed Gas Station, but now they know what they are doing and are doing it on purpose while merging it with a family in-joke.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Weren't you the one complaining earlier about people criticizing something when it doesn't do the plot that's "supposed" to happen?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mycot posted:

Weren't you the one complaining earlier about people criticizing something when it doesn't do the plot that's "supposed" to happen?

I guess it doesn’t feel like they did something different with it, just let it hang.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's awesome that it's like "generational differences are hard to overcome" instead of "ew my daughter is a LESBO" like sexual orientation is just an aspect of the daughter that just *is* instead of a sticking point focus for hate and difference.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Also while I understand being cynical at diversity in films rn, it's weird as hell to act like being gay is a shoe to drop, man. People are just gay sometimes.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 2, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, it's awesome that it's like "generational differences are hard to overcome" instead of "ew my daughter is a LESBO" like sexual orientation is just an aspect of the daughter that just *is* instead of a sticking point focus for hate and difference.

Yeah but like “Im old fashioned and hate my lesbian daughter so much we don’t have a single happy photo and she plans to leave forever and never speak to me again the second she turns 18, oh but not for the lesbian thing, I’m fine with that, I’m old fashioned about other things like hating tik tok” feels like a weird needle to thread.

Like there is apparently genuine hate and difference at the start, because he is so old fashioned, but like, not on that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^...have you never met a teenager?^

mycot posted:

Also while I understand being cynical at diversity in films rn, it's weird as hell to act like being gay is a shoe to drop, man. People are just gay sometimes.
Totally, but even then it's still pretty relevant. Katie definitely implies that it's something that makes her not fit in, there is a whole montage with her not being comfortable with herself. Her main desire in the film is to go meet the pretty girl she likes who gets her. The end of the movie is her talking about said pretty girl who gets her with her mom and bringing her home.

It just deals with Katie's gayness in a weird way.

It's also bananas that in a couple of pages we had posts talking about never seeing a family animated with central gay romance or lead, then a movie with a gay lead released on that day, and now family movie with a gay protagonist is not doing anything interesting with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, that was like my whole point, dude.

The fact that he's some kind of Old Fashioned but her sexuality is what it is. Normalize that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, at this point “Old Fashioned” is what? Mid-90s?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah but like “Im old fashioned and hate my lesbian daughter so much we don’t have a single happy photo and she plans to leave forever and never speak to me again the second she turns 18, oh but not for the lesbian thing, I’m fine with that, I’m old fashioned about other things like hating tik tok” feels like a weird needle to thread.

Like there is apparently genuine hate and difference at the start, because he is so old fashioned, but like, not on that.

it's really not though

The only reason you feel that way is because there is a dearth of media that involves LGBTQ+ characters where their identities are just -something they are- and not something that has to tie in with the plot or be a source of drama.

And yeah like, a parent of an 18 year old in Current Year would've been entering adulthood in like the mid-90s, where there very much was a thing of people actively opposing the spread of technology into everyday society, with tons of far reaching speculation about how it's going to evolve and influence culture. The 'old fashioned' they're most likely going for (i still need to watch the movie) probably isn't meant to be 'regressive Boomer' so much as it is 'neo-hippie Gen X-er', like someone who watched The Matrix and bought way too into the idea that humans are becoming slaves to technology.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fantastic movie, and lol he's not a conservative queer-hating dad and that would've been a terrible idea. he's a gen x'er, and he isn't even hateful. literally it's explained that his negativity is solely over fear of katie being hurt by failure the same way he was when he had to give up his log cabin. his way of creativity 'failed' for him, and it warped over time to him believing that a creative career path would be a dead end, and that katie would end up like him, disillusioned.

it's not like he's spending the movie complaining about wokeness and the pc agenda. he just doesn't want to see anyone get hurt. making it about sexuality would be a complete non-sequitor and divorced from the message and narrative

it would also, beyond being more "centering a plot about a queer character on their suffering", make the dad a reprehensible character that no one would want to see turn things around

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like that post about how a modern day Austin Powers would have been frozen in the 90s is relevant to this.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Rick isn't conservative or (arguably) even old-fashioned—he's just one of those dudes that really loves the outdoors and simply isn't interested in technology. The bumper stickers on the family car are a pretty good indication of what their political leanings might be:

Anyway: Great jokes, fantastic animation, really good movie all around. Definitely worth watching.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Mitchells vs The Machines was amazing

Also, anyone wondering about the soundtrack:

The reason why Dragostea Din Tei wasn't in the credits is because it wasn't in the movie.

The movie used Live Your Life by T.I. and Rihanna. It samples Dragostea Din Tei but isn't the same song.

Originally, they wanted to use Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance with Somebody but thought it'd be really creepy to use for a father and daughter dance song.

https://news.yahoo.com/mitchells-vs-machines-director-reveals-120100622.html

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I am so glad they went back to the original title for the movie, on top of the literal machines that they have to fight against, it also feeds into the other aspect which is how Rick abhors technology in all forms and feels that it is destroying life and his family

The art in this is awesome and I loved all of the kitschy overlays whenever Katie was narrating stuff because it really hammered home her personality. Whole lotta fun, I think we just got our Best Animated Feature winner for the next Oscars

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Rick isn't conservative or (arguably) even old-fashioned—he's just one of those dudes that really loves the outdoors and simply isn't interested in technology. The bumper stickers on the family car are a pretty good indication of what their political leanings might be:

"i brake for quail" :kimchi:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He reminded me of Flint Lockwood's dad, there were elements of both cloudy movies in their interactions. Especially the scenes where they struggle with computers :3:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Watching Mitchells vs the Machines and "Says Marry-o instead of Mario" might be the best joke so far.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Mitchells vs The Machines was amazing

Also, anyone wondering about the soundtrack:

The reason why Dragostea Din Tei wasn't in the credits is because it wasn't in the movie.

The movie used Live Your Life by T.I. and Rihanna. It samples Dragostea Din Tei but isn't the same song.

Originally, they wanted to use Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance with Somebody but thought it'd be really creepy to use for a father and daughter dance song.

I think what they ended up with works a lot better than I Wanna Dance With Somebody if only just because it's not a song that's been used a lot.

Also I just finished watching this and will now be telling everyone I know to watch it.

edit: Also great use of Grimes and Sigur Rós

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fartington Butts posted:

Watching Mitchells vs the Machines and "Says Marry-o instead of Mario" might be the best joke so far.

Ha, what was the context for this? I missed it.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Should have used the KLF version

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Ha, what was the context for this? I missed it.
When all of the "flaws" are flashed on the screen for the Mitchells.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fartington Butts posted:

When all of the "flaws" are flashed on the screen for the Mitchells.

It would have been great to see the movie in theaters, but I was also grateful I could instantly pause, go back, and laugh at all the background gags.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s a definite consequence to the medium of the Netflix era, like the bojack gags that make fun of you for pausing so can catch them all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Data Graham posted:

That’s a definite consequence to the medium of the Netflix era, like the bojack gags that make fun of you for pausing so can catch them all.

eh I wouldn't say that, those kinds of jokes date back to the Simpsons and people watching the episodes on VHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eh I wouldn't say that, those kinds of jokes date back to the Simpsons and people watching the episodes on VHS.

They actually predate VHS, so sometimes there was stuff put in there that the creators never expected a person to see.