Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fragrag posted:

Interesting, if you squint it can look like a Blue Heron. I’m guessing size isn’t a factor for the AI?

Yes, I was thinking that. Should improve the identification quite a bit if you can give size hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
48% is also abyssmal for most AI algos. If there's a "Don't tell me unless it's at least this high" that would probably be worthwhile. 48% means "I am pretty sure I'm wrong but here's a guess"

That is super cool though, what hardware does it require?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The AI is a pre-trained thing I pulled off of tensorflow and all it takes in a 244px square picture. Rolling my own model is on the list but is a very very very very stretch goal.

A few seconds after that picture of the cardinal it took another one of her and said she was a house sparrow with 98% confidence, but for the most part so far even it's lower-confidence calls have been pretty good. And to be fair I'm mainly using it to weed out false positives from the change detector (my arbitrary floor for that is 30% confidence). But since the classification doesn't appear to be a big overhead, I'm going to start slicing the image up and running each slice just to make sure the classifier sees as much bird as possible.

Lockback posted:

That is super cool though, what hardware does it require?

I'm running a 4-B 4GB with the HD camera module. The detection loop hums along at 800x600 @ 30fps, but there's usually a bit of a stutter when it takes a full-res picture. And I'm usually running the web server at the same time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Sciurus carolinensis (99%) *** 120V MAINS CIRCUIT, RELAY SWITCH ON ***

Sciurus carolinensis (0%) *** RELAY OFF ***

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I need to wire a neopixel strip to a Raspi GPIO
I don't want to solder directly to the GPIO and I think female jumpers are going to be a bit too fragile

What's my best option?

I'm currently thinking of just grabbing a 2x3 header and yanking 3 of the pins out with Pliers so I have access to 5v gnd and GPIO 2/3 and soldering wires to that, which feels kind of weird

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sockser posted:

I don't want to solder directly to the GPIO and I think female jumpers are going to be a bit too fragile

What's my best option?

I'm currently thinking of just grabbing a 2x3 header and yanking 3 of the pins out with Pliers so I have access to 5v gnd and GPIO 2/3 and soldering wires to that, which feels kind of weird

Crimping dupont connectors isn't too hard

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Sockser posted:

What's my best option?

If it's quasi permanent use a prototype hat: https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry-pi-prototyping-hat/

If it's temporary or in dev use a breakout breadboard: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1754

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Is there any way that I will be able to watch 1080p youtube videos smoothly in a browser on the pi 4? I have tried overclocking and enabling chromium hardware acceleration but it's still choppy. Videos play fine when downloaded and played back in mpv.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Probably not. Web browsers just aren't very well optimized for video playback. If you have youtube-dl installed mpv (I'm pretty sure) can use that to extract the video stream URL and play the videos directly without you having to download them separately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have no issues with playback on my 400, so it's certainly possible. I haven't changed anything in PiOS though so I don't know what if anything I have different to your setup.

Also I finally did what I wanted to do from the start with the 400 and set it up on a small desk of its own and I'm pretty happy to have this little desktop setup in my bedroom now for when I just want to sit in a quiet room and do computer stuff. After getting a new laptop and relearning how to type on these kinds of flat keys I'm even starting to get used to the keyboard and be able to type normally on it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

njsykora posted:

I have no issues with playback on my 400, so it's certainly possible. I haven't changed anything in PiOS though so I don't know what if anything I have different to your setup.

Also I finally did what I wanted to do from the start with the 400 and set it up on a small desk of its own and I'm pretty happy to have this little desktop setup in my bedroom now for when I just want to sit in a quiet room and do computer stuff. After getting a new laptop and relearning how to type on these kinds of flat keys I'm even starting to get used to the keyboard and be able to type normally on it.

What's the performance like for simple web browsing?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Slow but functional.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s fine, the only thing I really notice on a regular basis is the delay when full screening a Youtube video.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Walh Hara posted:

Question: do you guys use docker on your raspberry? For what kind of things?

Last weekend I bought an external hard drive and so I'm looking into installing/configuring a number of things (raspberry pi 3b): samba, deluge, couchpotato, plex, ... It looks like there's a docker container for all of these things, does it make sense to always use these? Or are there some overhead costs (or other drawbacks) I should be aware of?

I tired to run octopi, a 3d printer controller program that allows for remote management, and it was not liking running in a container. It would have problems sending and receiving the out the hundreds of gcode and gcode responses per second AND running a web server at the same time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Am I remembering wrong or didn't sometime in the last year a like GUI wizard come out that would write your Raspbian image to an SD card while also allowing you to specify all the standard setup stuff like your wifi, SSH config/keys, etc.? If it did I cannot remember the name or a keyword to find it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Am I remembering wrong or didn't sometime in the last year a like GUI wizard come out that would write your Raspbian image to an SD card while also allowing you to specify all the standard setup stuff like your wifi, SSH config/keys, etc.? If it did I cannot remember the name or a keyword to find it.

Pi Power Tools?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=266985

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks but that doesn't quite look like it.

Oh searching a little more I think I was thinking of PiBakery which looks like it hasn't been updated in years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can select all those options in the default Pi Imager by pressing Ctrl-Shift-X, which they keep hidden for some reason

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can select all those options in the default Pi Imager by pressing Ctrl-Shift-X, which they keep hidden for some reason
Awesome, will check that out thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think someone mentioned PiBakery in the thread before but it seems like their main website is down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I think someone mentioned PiBakery in the thread before but it seems like their main website is down.

Someone mentioned it four posts ago :getin:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So you did, my bad. I cannot get the caffeine in fast enough when I wake up at 5pm.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So hey, a while back I picked up a Raspberry Pi 4 and turned it into an emulation machine. I picked Lakka as my frontend and I've been pretty happy with it.

Cut to this last weekend, I decided I wanted to try out Steam Link between my PC and my Pi. Unfortunately near as I can tell that isn't something that Lakka can do; or at least, it's not something my build of Lakka can do and my build (from ~Jan 2020) won't update via the GUI. So I'm curious what you guys would recommend? I'd like to stick with 1 card and 1 OS for both my emulation as well as my Steam link so it seems like the best solution is to load Retropie, but I'm always up to learning about other means or suggestions to get things going

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was enjoying Lakka when I tried it last year and I wish it had stable updates more than once every two years.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just happened to trt lakka for the first time today on a pi4 8gb and while it is super easy and has a nice interface, the emulation of SNES and N64 was surprisingly slow. I feel like I'm missing one weird trick.

SNES games were much better when I changed from the default core but for N64 there are only two cores and one doesn't even run so :(.

This was with the 32bit development image so maybe I'll try the stable or 64 bit de build tomorrow.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
But yes lakka doesn't have X so you cant do steam link :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

khy posted:

So hey, a while back I picked up a Raspberry Pi 4 and turned it into an emulation machine. I picked Lakka as my frontend and I've been pretty happy with it.

Cut to this last weekend, I decided I wanted to try out Steam Link between my PC and my Pi. Unfortunately near as I can tell that isn't something that Lakka can do; or at least, it's not something my build of Lakka can do and my build (from ~Jan 2020) won't update via the GUI. So I'm curious what you guys would recommend? I'd like to stick with 1 card and 1 OS for both my emulation as well as my Steam link so it seems like the best solution is to load Retropie, but I'm always up to learning about other means or suggestions to get things going

I like lakka too, but the stable release is pretty old now. I'd switch to Retropie to do what you want to do. I much prefer the clean retroarch interface and the fast booting from Lakka, but Retropie has a lot more updates including Steamlink.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm a fan of Batocera, it's a pretty easy setup and supports a good number of systems. It's got Steam Link via Moonlight, I haven't set it up on mine though. It uses Emulation Station as the frontend, but they've got a customized version that includes wifi setup and a bunch of other things.

If you're installing it to a bigger drive or SD card, you may need to format the data partition (it makes a 6GB partition for the OS, then roms, saves, settings, etc are stored on a partition on the rest of the card), but you can do that through the menu.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've got a raspberry pi that used to be doing file share duty but now just does wireguard and some other stuff. I commented out the specific share in smb.conf, which removed the old share folder from my Network lists in Windows and MacOS, but the RPi itself still shows up in those network lists.

What controls that and how do I turn it off?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Samba service is still running, so your Pi announces itself on the network even if it doesn't have any shares configured.

Assuming the distro is using systemd, this will stop and disable it:

code:
# systemctl stop smb.service
# systemctl disable smb.service

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

The Samba service is still running, so your Pi announces itself on the network even if it doesn't have any shares configured.

Assuming the distro is using systemd, this will stop and disable it:

code:
# systemctl stop smb.service
# systemctl disable smb.service

That's perfect, I knew it'd be something simple like that! Thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Side note, Systemd is a pretty useful skill to have, it's worth spending the 30 minutes on learning what it does and how to setup a service to start on boot, etc. It's the default medium low level everything on modern Linux, and not going away in the next 10 years

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lakka 3.0 is finally out, so it may be time for me to get a new microSD card so I can get the Pi running again, and maybe one of those tiny USB drives.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Lakka looks really cool. Any recommendations on hardware for a retro box? Cases and the like

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Lakka looks really cool. Any recommendations on hardware for a retro box? Cases and the like

Lakka doesn't seem to run very hot on a Pi 4 even when playing PS1 games. Right now I have the CoolerMaster case that got Kickstarted a while back, which feels pleasantly solid.

I still haven't set it back up since 3.0 came out, though; I might wait for the next stable build, which was supposed to be about two weeks after 3.0 hit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

I've got a raspberry pi that used to be doing file share duty but now just does wireguard and some other stuff. I commented out the specific share in smb.conf, which removed the old share folder from my Network lists in Windows and MacOS, but the RPi itself still shows up in those network lists.

What controls that and how do I turn it off?
Kill the service and uninstall the package. This is good practice regardless.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Does anybody have a recommendation on a high quality camera for a pi?

I was looking at this one:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/621303/raspberry-pi-hq-camera-for-raspberry-pi-4

But it’s out of stock locally and then on Amazon I saw a bunch of others that seemed nice or better. Does anyone have any experience with any other ones or is this my best bet?

We’ve been using one of our pi’s with the standard camera to take time lapses… it’s pretty awesome. We left it running during a thunderstorm and got a couple of really good lightning pictures that I’ll never get tired of :) I’m now looking to upgrade

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation on a high quality camera for a pi?

I was looking at this one:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/621303/raspberry-pi-hq-camera-for-raspberry-pi-4

But it’s out of stock locally and then on Amazon I saw a bunch of others that seemed nice or better. Does anyone have any experience with any other ones or is this my best bet?

We’ve been using one of our pi’s with the standard camera to take time lapses… it’s pretty awesome. We left it running during a thunderstorm and got a couple of really good lightning pictures that I’ll never get tired of :) I’m now looking to upgrade

I think the way to go is to grab a used DSLR that is compatible with gphoto2. Like a Canon 60D can probably found for <$400 and it’ll give you so much better value than any RPi ribbon camera. There are even some nice point & shoots on that list that will do time lapses really nicely.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

tuyop posted:

I think the way to go is to grab a used DSLR that is compatible with gphoto2. Like a Canon 60D can probably found for <$400 and it’ll give you so much better value than any RPi ribbon camera. There are even some nice point & shoots on that list that will do time lapses really nicely.

Wow, I hadn’t even heard of this… I’ll look into it, thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

tuyop posted:

Yeah I’m saving that